Punk is not dead!

PDA

View Full Version : Punk is not dead!

cammeegy
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Well, everybody thinks punk is dead ... sorry! punk is not dead, it has evolved from old PArty punk bands to a more sober type of punk... the sex pistols have a nowaday equivalent called ANTI-FLAG.... nofx is now strike anywhere.... the clash is now rise against... PUNK IS STILL ALIVE< JUST NOT MAINSTREAM...

Tedward
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
it should die, in my honest opinion.

zekk
07-31-2009, 04:24 PM
Yeaaahhh NO. The bands you listed... no. How about Bomb The Music Industry? DIY FTW

lolmnt
07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
How are Anti Flag and Rise Against not mainstream?

BrianApocalypse
07-31-2009, 04:36 PM
Who the hell are strike anywhere? :confused:

DempseyPunk
07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
those are completely mainstream :facepalm:

and there are alot of good underground bands still. Alot of old ones play too...**** the sex pistols

whyvern
07-31-2009, 05:08 PM
punk is alive and drunk like me!

David_Bowie=GOD
07-31-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow :facepalm:

Sex Pistols and The Clash weren't that great to start with imo. Tracks 2-5 on Nevermind the Bollocks Heres the Sex Pistols blow(but I do like the rest of the album, its good, but not that great). The Clash I've never really liked, I thought they were overrated and sounded like barking seals.

charliezard!
07-31-2009, 05:15 PM
Ooooh! I'm excited. I'll check theze bands out. Cuz I thought punx died in '81.

MisspentYouth
07-31-2009, 05:21 PM
lol man punk nevr died there r a ton of really punk bands now like the casualties and greenday bringing back true punk

RockThe40oz
07-31-2009, 05:46 PM
Shut up.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 05:47 PM
Punk is dead. I stabbed it in the neck with a knife.

skatinpunk
07-31-2009, 06:00 PM
this is a downward spiral right from the title, please kill this sargasm

charliezard!
07-31-2009, 06:34 PM
^
This thread has promise!
We need users like this to bring up new and interesting ideas to discuss. Stop being a wet blanket. :mad:

axeslash
07-31-2009, 07:22 PM
I thought punk had died but once the OP told me about all the bands on Warped Tour I instantly regained all hope.

werty22
07-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Before about post #9 I was worried all the regulars were going to dignify this thread with serious responses. I'm relieved by this sarcasm.

punkrockdoc
07-31-2009, 08:43 PM
i don't know whose post is worse. TS's or Misspentyouth's

David_Bowie=GOD
07-31-2009, 08:44 PM
^
Misspentyouth's post was obviously sarcastic. I mean im pretty bad at detecting sarcasm on the internet, but damn.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 08:48 PM
You = dumb

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 08:48 PM
I wish punk was really dead. It's a genre that promotes a lack creativity to the point where most songs are ridiculously simple, repetitive, and boring. I like simple music as long as it's creative.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 08:53 PM
I wish punk was really dead. It's a genre that promotes a lack creativity to the point where most songs are ridiculously simple, repetitive, and boring. I like simple music as long as it's creative.
:haha: I just took a look at the Favorite Bands in your profile.

:haha: :haha: :haha:

:haha:

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 08:55 PM
Funny because I had the same reaction when I saw your favorite bands.

Run along and play your 3 power chord songs, mmk? kthnxbai

lolmnt
07-31-2009, 09:01 PM
I wish punk was really dead. It's a genre that promotes a lack creativity to the point where most songs are ridiculously simple, repetitive, and boring. I like simple music as long as it's creative.Then don't post here :shrug:

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 09:04 PM

Normally I don't even bother responding to stupid people on this forum, but I feel like being an asshole.

1. I doubt you've heard of 90% of those bands.

2. I'm a rather proficient jazz guitarist. You play a Squier into an Orange Crush. I don't think you get to pull the guitar-skill card here :rolleyes:

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 09:09 PM
Normally I don't even bother responding to stupid people on this forum, but I feel like being an asshole.

1. I doubt you've heard of 90% of those bands.

2. I'm a rather proficient jazz guitarist. You play a Squier into an Orange Crush. I don't think you get to pull the guitar-skill card here :rolleyes:

You're going to base my skill off my guitar and amp? Excuse me, but I just moved from the US to New Zealand 2 months ago. I couldn't afford to take my gear with me, and this was the best I could afford. Asshole.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 09:14 PM
You're going to base my skill off my guitar and amp? Excuse me, but I just moved from the US to New Zealand 2 months ago. I couldn't afford to take my gear with me, and this was the best I could afford. Asshole.
The majority of players who use ****ty gear are beginners/not very good. I made an educated guess. And judging by the clip in your profile you're not very good at bass either. If you want to say that every guitarist of a genre you know nothing about sucks, you should at least have the skill to back it up.

And yes, I am an asshole ;)

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes, I'm a terrible bassist. That's why my Hysteria cover is one of the highest rated covers of the song on Youtube... although, I don't know how much merit that comment really holds... I'm not making assumptions about your personal skill, don't make assumptions about mine.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 09:30 PM
Yes, I'm a terrible bassist. That's why my Hysteria cover is one of the highest rated covers of the song on Youtube... although, I don't know how much merit that comment really holds... I'm not making assumptions about your personal skill, don't make assumptions about mine.
I will make assumptions. You clearly tried to get a reaction from us with your post, so I'm going to tell you exactly what I think of you. The fact that somebody on youtube likes your **** means nothing when its as sloppy and unimpressive as what I'm hearing.

There are plenty of people in this forum who are far superior musicians than you, if you're honestly going to call us bad players and say we only play power chords you can go **** yourself for being an uninformed, conflict starting, terrible-bass playing jackass.

:)

yeahyeah
07-31-2009, 09:33 PM
Oh Snap

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
I will make assumptions. You clearly tried to get a reaction from us with your post, so I'm going to tell you exactly what I think of you. The fact that somebody on youtube likes your **** means nothing when its as sloppy and unimpressive as what I'm hearing.

There are plenty of people in this forum who are far superior musicians than you, if you're honestly going to call us bad players and say we only play power chords you can go **** yourself for being an uninformed, conflict starting, terrible-bass playing jackass.

:)

I have yet to hear you post your skillz. I would love to hear your brilliant musical genius. Please, I encourage you to show me up please. I'm perfectly aware that their are better musicians on here than me. Obviously. But you really can't dispute the fact that most punk promotes simplicity and repetitive song structure.

Anyway, I'll leave you and your ego alone. Feel free to watch some of my videos though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ab4VaDPluw&feature=channel_page

MisspentYouth
07-31-2009, 09:43 PM

And the Sarcast-O-Meter is off the charts!

Also I think we need a sticky, in addition to the "Blink-182 and Green Day are not punk" one, that says "Punk is not just three chord songs." Because that seems to be a very common misconception.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 09:50 PM
I have yet to hear you post your skillz. I would love to hear your brilliant musical genius. Please, I encourage you to show me up please. I'm perfectly aware that their are better musicians on here than me. Obviously. But you really can't dispute the fact that most punk promotes simplicity and repetitive song structure.

Anyway, I'll leave you and your ego alone. Feel free to watch some of my videos though. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ab4VaDPluw&feature=channel_page
Promotes simplicity and repetitive song structure? Punk certainly doesn't actively advocate complexity, but I've heard plenty of punk bands who are far more complicated than any of the sub-par unoriginal bull**** bands like Muse play.

I'd like to take this time to ask what punk you've ever actually listened to, because right now you just sound like a completely unintelligent moron who has no idea what he's talking about. The fact that you would come into this forum in the first place if you have nothing constructive or intelligent to say is pathetic in the first place.

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 09:53 PM
Promotes simplicity and repetitive song structure? Punk certainly doesn't actively advocate complexity, but I've heard plenty of punk bands who are far more complicated than any of the sub-par unoriginal bull**** bands like Muse play.

I'd like to take this time to ask what punk you've ever actually listened to, because right now you just sound like a completely unintelligent moron who has no idea what he's talking about. The fact that you would come into this forum in the first place if you have nothing constructive or intelligent to say is pathetic in the first place.

Yeah, okay. All I have to do is point you in the direction of the song Butterflies and Hurricanes or Stockholm Syndrome to make your argument look stupid. I don't see any punk bands putting anything creative like that out.

lolmnt
07-31-2009, 10:00 PM
Yeah, okay. All I have to do is point you in the direction of the song Butterflies and Hurricanes or Stockholm Syndrome to make your argument look stupid. I don't see any punk bands putting anything creative like that out.I'm staying out of this, but this is creative? It sounds like 98% of modern rock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqgZjXrYjOs

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 10:04 PM
I'll just counter that with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hnCDly1ECg

I'm done, see ya.

lolmnt
07-31-2009, 10:07 PM
So vocal effects and pianos makes a band creative?

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 10:09 PM
More like interesting composition and instrumentation. Something punk greatly lacks in general.

lolmnt
07-31-2009, 10:10 PM
I doubt you've heard a single punk song in your entire life.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 10:12 PM
Yeah, okay. All I have to do is point you in the direction of the song Butterflies and Hurricanes or Stockholm Syndrome to make your argument look stupid. I don't see any punk bands putting anything creative like that out.
Creative? What the ****? Both those songs are examples of 90% of all modern pop-rock bands.

Here are a few songs off of the top of my head that are way ****ing better than that boring commercial bull****:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVCMLWtVN5E&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAsWcaivtEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSid_tFAShU

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 10:16 PM
Yeah, because classical prog is super commercial.
:rolleyes:

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 10:18 PM
Yeah, because classical prog is super commercial.
:rolleyes:
Are you kidding? Muse is on the radio several times a day. I haven't met a single person who isn't familiar with them. You are a fool.

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Ah yes, the ol' "people know this band, they must be ****" argument. How logical.

DanRev
07-31-2009, 10:22 PM
Zounds one album is more creative than Muse's entire career IMO.

HERE COME THE BOIZE

MisspentYouth
07-31-2009, 10:24 PM
Be honest. What punk bands/songs have you seriously listened to?

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 10:25 PM
Ah yes, the ol' "people know this band, they must be ****" argument. How logical.
There are plenty of well-known bands that are terrific. To say Muse is not a commercial band is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. And they're **** because they sound like 90% of modern bands.

lolmnt
07-31-2009, 10:28 PM
They sound like a fuzzy Coldplay.

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 10:29 PM
Oh yes, because I've heard hundreds of songs like Hoodoo, Knights of Cydonia, Space Dementia, Citizen Erased, United States of Eurasia, Take a Bow, Map of the Problematique, Microcuts, and the list goes on. I know I'm not going to change your opinion, but it's quite stupid to call them generic... especially looking at the bands you like.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 10:31 PM
Once again, you probably have not heard of any of the bands I like. And yes, I have heard hundreds of songs like them.

They are generic. You are a dumbass. Please leave.

Melodic_Rocker
07-31-2009, 10:34 PM
I have my money on that you haven't listened to them. Which is fine, doesn't bother me. I don't care to listen your generic mess of interchangable bands.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I've listened to them extensively as both my brother and my sister are big fans. The fact that you've just admitted to never even listening to punk makes you entire argument void as your clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

You are a failure, please leave.

Jett Diamond
07-31-2009, 10:47 PM
You know, I really don't care if people are ignorant if they're willing to learn. You however just come off as possessing the intelligence of a rotting corpse. It's one thing to not enjoy a genre, but you're an idiot. I really don't feel the need to justify that statement any further.

I will however say that this thread is entertaining. I approve.

StreetLight3989
07-31-2009, 10:49 PM
Melodic_Rocker, you can't expect to come into the punk forum, put down the genre, and not get called out. Your argument is stupid and you're not going to win. You're completely ignorant to the genre and you try to come in here and argue how generic it is. Punk is a widely diverse genre with a lot subgenres and tons of creativity. You really are just showing your lack of knowledge of it which makes you look stupid.

David_Bowie=GOD
07-31-2009, 11:10 PM
I don't think Muse is terrible, but I think they are extremely overrated. Musically I'm indifferent towards them, I don't mind listening to them but I am by no means a fan in any way.

David_Bowie=GOD
07-31-2009, 11:18 PM
I have my money on that you haven't listened to them. Which is fine, doesn't bother me. I don't care to listen your generic mess of interchangable bands.

Didn't you say you were "done" posting here like 5 posts ago? GTFO already. Just about all of your logic is flawed. Most punk bands I listen to have far more than just three chords in their songs. I doubt you've listened to any punk other than The Ramones, The Clash, and pop punk bands you thought were punk like Blink 182.

neidnarb11890
07-31-2009, 11:39 PM
Oh look, it's my friends Mike, D., and George from the Minutemen!
http://wpservices.net/MDT150-Notebook/projects/p01-minutemen/images/mmen84f.jpg

You've never listened to the Minutemen. That's why you say stupid things like that.

werty22
07-31-2009, 11:44 PM
This whole argument is hilarious.

:haha :haha :haha

Either you didn't really read his list or you made assumptions about the bands on it without ever hearing them. I didn't read his whole list, but the only power-chord band I saw on it was TSOL, and that's only if you're doinitwrong like most people.
And the Sarcast-O-Meter is off the charts!

Also I think we need a sticky, in addition to the "Blink-182 and Green Day are not punk" one, that says "Punk is not just three chord songs." Because that seems to be a very common misconception.
Although that's true, I don't think we need a sticky for it. We don't need to be so defensive in my opinion. I don't care what some ignorant classic rock and metal fans think. Especially because many of them are probably too stubborn to believe it, like this guy. Except not as bad as him. This guy is a caricature of close-mindedness.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I didn't read his whole list, but the only power-chord band I saw on it was TSOL, and that's only if you're doinitwrong like most people.
The only TSOL songs I've ever learned off of Dance With Me had Minor 7 chords and some kind of 9th in it if I recall. :shrug:

To be honest I haven't listened to TSOL in a long time.

werty22
07-31-2009, 11:56 PM
I've only heard a few TSOL songs. I think they were probably from their early days because they were pretty typical early hardcore as opposed to the post-punky and thrashy stuff that they supposedly did later. Fast-tempo (but not really fast), barre chords with a few Chuck Berry licks and stuff.

Edit: I regret not being sarcastic with my other post a few minutes ago. Sarcasm is so much better than saying what I really think.

RizzoWashburn
07-31-2009, 11:59 PM
Yeah, that pretty much describes the majority of their work. Later in their career they started doing a lot of art punk stuff. And then of course there was their time as a glam metal band:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2u5gg15.jpg

werty22
08-01-2009, 12:18 AM
I looked at a couple of pages of Melodic_Rocker's other posts. He posts almost exclusively about Muse. I think I only saw one post without "Muse" in it (besides in the Muse thread) and that was a thread about falsetto, which is a technique that characterizes the style of a certain Muse singer.

For the record, I didn't see anything wrong with his bass cover (I only watched like 30 seconds of it) so I don't think it was fair to criticize him for that. And I don't think Muse is that bad. I don't like them, but I give them credit for being marginally more inventive than most pop-rock band, even if only in shallow ways.

He referred to Muse as classical prog. Anyone else wanna call him on that?

DempseyPunk
08-01-2009, 12:21 AM
melodic your a moron. Your generalizing an ENTIRE genre of music. I bet the only punk youve heard is the ramones, so you base your theory on that alone. There are many different styles of punk so dont act like you know squat about it. Even if alot of punk is simple as hell, the lyrics are amazing and meaningful so f*ck off.

Melodic_Rocker
08-01-2009, 12:27 AM
I looked at a couple of pages of Melodic_Rocker's other posts. He posts almost exclusively about Muse. I think I only saw one post without "Muse" in it (besides in the Muse thread) and that was a thread about falsetto, which is a technique that characterizes the style of a certain Muse singer.

For the record, I didn't see anything wrong with his bass cover (I only watched like 30 seconds of it) so I don't think it was fair to criticize him for that. And I don't think Muse is that bad. I don't like them, but I give them credit for being marginally more inventive than most pop-rock band, even if only in shallow ways.

Who are you to judge where I post? My last post was about a classic guitar piece completely unrelated to Muse. Anyway, Muse are classical prog as they combine classical and prog elements to quite a few songs.

Anyway, I left this thread, but if you want to hunt down my past posts and ridicule me for that I certainly have the right to come back and defend myself.

RizzoWashburn
08-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Not really.

Melodic_Rocker
08-01-2009, 12:29 AM
**** off, ****.

David_Bowie=GOD
08-01-2009, 12:34 AM
somebody report him already, he has trolled long enough

werty22
08-01-2009, 12:37 AM
Who are you to judge where I post? My last post was about a classic guitar piece completely unrelated to Muse. Anyway, Muse are classical prog as they combine classical and prog elements to quite a few songs.

Anyway, I left this thread, but if you want to hunt down my past posts and ridicule me for that I certainly have the right to come back and defend myself.
Popular music is on a completely different plane from classical music. Being classically influenced doesn't make them classical prog. Are the Beatles classical pop?

But I guess you're right that it wasn't quite called for for me to criticize you for being (apparently) obsessed with Muse.

RizzoWashburn
08-01-2009, 12:39 AM
**** off, ****.
You're smelly.

David_Bowie=GOD
08-01-2009, 12:40 AM

Ill do it. How the hell can they be classical prog. if they formed in 94? Wikipedia even classifies them as new prog (not that they are a reliable source but whatever).

BTW, Im just talking out of my ass in this post, I have no idea if classical prog is a genre that incorporates classical music more(I thought most prog did that anyway) and isn't just older prog rock, but even if thats the case, Muse definately isn't as complex as say, Dream Theater.

RizzoWashburn
08-01-2009, 12:42 AM
I hereby declare myself... RIZZO THE TROLL SLAYER

werty22
08-01-2009, 12:43 AM
Oh, and I don't mind you coming back at all because I want to argue with you. But please, take the time to listen to some of the bands on Rizzo's list before you continue. Maybe read about them. Don't just take their music at face value. Wiki them and try to understand what people like about them and why they're significant. Otherwise, don't make sweeping generalizations about genres you don't know anything about.

pinheadslts75
08-01-2009, 01:13 AM

You have a ****ing Rage Against the Machine avatar.

RAtM, who's idea of good guitar playing is making a guitar sound like a synth with bad wiring.

blackflag49
08-01-2009, 01:43 AM
Muse's music is balls (which is funny cuz Matt Bellamy sings like a castrato)

BostonLacrosse
08-01-2009, 01:59 AM
They sound like a fuzzy Coldplay.
:haha: :haha: that made me crack up

oh and ****er whose arguing with everyone i don't find muse very aMUSEing
(oh god ive become on of the drunk posters do i get a special club card now?)

lavazza
08-01-2009, 07:37 AM
The whole thread shows that you all don´t have any hobbies

BrianApocalypse
08-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Muse aren't in the least bit progressive. Sorry.

They have their own sound, and they sound very good for a three piece, but they aren't doing anything vaguely progressive, just like pretty much any 'progressive' band after about 1971.

Even good 'recent' prog rock, like Pendragon's Pure (2008) is just the golden age rehashed. Musically it's very good, should you get the opportunity to hear it, but it's nothing new, which defeats the point of it being 'progressive'.

The classical part is laughable too as I have never heard any classical form or instrumentation in their works. Both prog and classical genres are head music, and I don't for one second think that generic 4/4 body music with some third-rate electronica and too many effects thrown in is neither of those things.

MisspentYouth
08-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Although that's true, I don't think we need a sticky for it. We don't need to be so defensive in my opinion. I don't care what some ignorant classic rock and metal fans think. Especially because many of them are probably too stubborn to believe it, like this guy. Except not as bad as him. This guy is a caricature of close-mindedness.

You're right, but goddamn it gets annoying.

Also the guy never answered my question of what punk bands/songs he's ever heard, so I'm going assume that the answer is "none."

RockThe40oz
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
You're right, but goddamn it gets annoying.

Also the guy never answered my question of what punk bands/songs he's ever heard, so I'm going assume that the answer is "none."
He already admitted that.

werty22
08-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Muse aren't in the least bit progressive. Sorry.

They have their own sound, and they sound very good for a three piece, but they aren't doing anything vaguely progressive, just like pretty much any 'progressive' band after about 1971.

Even good 'recent' prog rock, like Pendragon's Pure (2008) is just the golden age rehashed. Musically it's very good, should you get the opportunity to hear it, but it's nothing new, which defeats the point of it being 'progressive'.

The classical part is laughable too as I have never heard any classical form or instrumentation in their works. Both prog and classical genres are head music, and I don't for one second think that generic 4/4 body music with some third-rate electronica and too many effects thrown in is neither of those things.
:golfclap:

axeslash
08-01-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh look Melodic_Rocker made his profile hidden because he can dish it out but can't take it.

Tee hee.

I was going to go on his profile and check out his major skillz so I could one-up them but I think I can claim a victory anyways. Besides, his next post is gonna be "LULZ MY MUSIC IS BETTER BECAUSE I SAY SO AND MY OPINION IS BETTER BECAUSE I ACT LIKE AN ENTITLED 12 YEAR OLD NANANANANANANANANA"

lounge act
08-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I find it funny that someone could think that a whole genre of music that gets its own forum on here is exclusively made up of songs with 3 power chords.

MisspentYouth
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
He already admitted that.

Oh, I didn't see that. Then he's an even bigger idiot than I thought.

Rancid Ivy
08-02-2009, 08:35 AM
lol man punk nevr died there r a ton of really punk bands now like the casualties and greenday bringing back true punk
LMAO!!!!!! This post makes me laugh my head off. Green Day lost their punk edge in '97

MisspentYouth
08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Dear lord, why can people not detect sarcasm all of a sudden? I know it's the internet and all, but still. So let me clarify: I don't think that Green Day are punk. I don't like the Casualties. And I don't type like that because I'm actually somewhat intelligent.

Jett Diamond
08-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Dear lord, why can people not detect sarcasm all of a sudden? I know it's the internet and all, but still. So let me clarify: I don't think that Green Day are punk. I don't like the Casualties. And I don't type like that because I'm actually somewhat intelligent.
Maybe it's cause I know you, but I thought that was really apparent. Some people I suppose just don't expect an ounce of humor on the interwebz...

EDIT: blackflag is always right. Julie must be lying. What a poser.

blackflag49
08-02-2009, 12:18 PM

Lies, all of this^

cammeegy
08-02-2009, 03:51 PM
those are completely mainstream :facepalm:

and there are alot of good underground bands still. Alot of old ones play too...**** the sex pistols

Not rlly mainsteam, mainstream is like coldpay, death cab for cutie, and kings of leon , etc.

MisspentYouth
08-02-2009, 04:10 PM
Maybe it's cause I know you, but I thought that was really apparent. Some people I suppose just don't expect an ounce of humor on the interwebz...

EDIT: blackflag is always right. Julie must be lying. What a poser.

:( I thought that putting "Green Day" as one word was a nice subtle touch, too.

Lies, all of this^

:p:

David_Bowie=GOD
08-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Not rlly mainsteam, mainstream is like coldpay, death cab for cutie, and kings of leon , etc.

I hear the bands mentioned on the radio a lot more than any of these.

TMF128
08-02-2009, 05:00 PM
Why shouldn't we just shut up and enjoy listening to the music?

Who gives a **** about whether it is true punk or not?

Who cares if it is dead?

Who cares if it isn't unique or technical?

We are supposed to ENJOY music, not stress out over it.

lavazza
08-02-2009, 05:10 PM

You romantise the body of music, we don´t hear with our ears, we hear with our brain, therefore anything is important. I if you´ve smelled dog puh while hearing The Clash for the first time you´d maybe hate them today.
I always have to think of Kafka when I listen to Marquee Moon, when I listen to it and I don´t like that much, but Marquee Moon is too good to be hated for that. But anything around music plays a role when you judge about quality

cammeegy
08-02-2009, 05:48 PM

ok, maybe some bands are, but if u listen to rise against, and sincerely have an open mind i guarantee you will like it... there and amazing band

cammeegy
08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Why shouldn't we just shut up and enjoy listening to the music?

Who gives a **** about whether it is true punk or not?

Who cares if it is dead?

Who cares if it isn't unique or technical?

very true, who gives, just enjoy the music u like :)

My_Name_Is_Van
08-02-2009, 06:26 PM

Using 'Green Day' and 'true punk' in the same sentence without a 'not' in between or a 'just kidding' afterward is pretty hilarious.

MisspentYouth
08-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Dear lord.

werty22
08-02-2009, 06:33 PM
Using 'Green Day' and 'true punk' in the same sentence without a 'not' in between or a 'just kidding' afterward is pretty hilarious.
I think you might be an idiot.

DempseyPunk
08-02-2009, 06:59 PM
No one knows what sarcasm is anymore...unless it reverse sarcasm!!! :wtf:

The_Bosstone
08-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Jesus fucking christ. I don't even know how to reply to this much asinine ignorance. Its overwhelming. But I'll try:

cammeegy: You are just an idiot. Telling us some ****ty commericial pop-rock band replaced legends (regardless of how qualitatively good The Clash or Sex Pistols were, they were still very influencial at the time) is possibly the most idiotic thing I've seen on this forum, especially considering many of the bands you listed were influenced by hardcore and can not be related to punk anyway.

Melodic_Rocker: I have too much to say, so in short, shut the fuck up. Your arguments contridict and tie each other in knots. Your made up terms do not impress us, nor make your music sound superior. It just makes you sound like a pretenious prick who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Jawbreaker > Muse in every way possible.

That is all.

David_Bowie=GOD
08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Jesus fucking christ. I don't even know how to reply to this much asinine ignorance. Its overwhelming. But I'll try:

cammeegy: You are just an idiot. Telling us some ****ty commericial pop-rock band replaced legends (regardless of how qualitatively good The Clash or Sex Pistols were, they were still very influencial at the time) is possibly the most idiotic thing I've seen on this forum, especially considering many of the bands you listed were influenced by hardcore and can not be related to punk anyway.

Melodic_Rocker: I have too much to say, so in short, shut the fuck up. Your arguments contridict and tie each other in knots. Your made up terms do not impress us, nor make your music sound superior. It just makes you sound like a pretenious prick who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Jawbreaker > Muse in every way possible.

That is all.

:golfclap:

Rancid Ivy
08-02-2009, 07:33 PM
How are Anti Flag and Rise Against not mainstream?
Audience of One = Most un-punk song that is actually considered "punk" by certain posers.

werty22
08-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Audience of One = Most un-punk song that is actually considered "punk" by certain posers.
ಠ_ಠ

RockThe40oz
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
^That face intimidates me.

Jett Diamond
08-03-2009, 12:37 AM
If one more person posts in this thread taking Julie's post seriously I'm going to castrate myself and put a video if it on YouTube.

mrobbo95
08-03-2009, 02:43 AM
i reckon the ramones = best punk band ever!
GO THE RAMONES!!!!

Rancid Ivy
08-03-2009, 08:37 AM
And the Ramones are all dead except one so yeah real punk is pretty much dead :(

mcraddict81592
08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
Awwww....I thought this thread was gonna be about that documentary...which I quite enjoyed..

jakesmellspoo
08-03-2009, 10:46 AM
i'm having trouble understanding these parallels between bands... NOFX = Strike Anywhere? Sex Pistols= Anti-Flag? Then I guess the Casualties are the new... uh, Germs?

David_Bowie=GOD
08-03-2009, 01:33 PM
And the Ramones are all dead except one so yeah real punk is pretty much dead :(

I like The Ramones but screw them, The Stooges were around before them (and they were better).

Edit:

and...

If one more person posts in this thread taking Julie's post seriously I'm going to castrate myself and put a video if it on YouTube.

:haha:

axeslash
08-03-2009, 01:35 PM
I swear to Science if I hear another person touting Rise Against as a decent band in this thread I'm going to probably do what I always do in these situations.

Swear words in all caps.

cammeegy
08-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I swear to Science if I hear another person touting Rise Against as a decent band in this thread I'm going to probably do what I always do in these situations.

Swear words in all caps.

RISE AGAINST IS AMAZING!

lavazza
08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
RISE AGAINST IS AMAZING!

Axe´s word pool of swear words as well, or rather immense

axeslash
08-03-2009, 04:31 PM
RISE AGAINST IS AMAZING!I can rest well in my bed knowing you will never ever contribute anything to this world, nor will you ever cause any significant damage to it. In effect, your life will affect nothing.

CUNTING FUCKS

Rancid Ivy
08-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Punk is dead and Rise Against fu**in' killed it with "Appeal To Reason"

'Nuff Said.

lolmnt
08-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Punk is dead and Rise Against fu**in' killed it with "Appeal To Reason"

'Nuff Said.Nah it's not dead yet, but I'm going to kill it next year with my punk clothing line for Baby Gap.

RockThe40oz
08-03-2009, 07:30 PM
Nah it's not dead yet, but I'm going to kill it next year with my punk clothing line for Baby Gap.
I think Ed Hardy already has the licensing for that.

My_Name_Is_Van
08-03-2009, 07:43 PM
I think you might be an idiot.
I think you might not get sarcasm either. :rolleyes:

Motorbreath628
08-03-2009, 07:46 PM
punk was born dead, its a giant gimmick used to make yourself look like more of a rebel. When you really think about it, it makes sense. I love punk, but its really true. Just a bunch of boy bands right from the start, conforming to another stereotype and contradicting everything punk apparently stands for. It was always corrupted

charliezard!
08-03-2009, 07:53 PM
punk was born dead, its a giant gimmick used to make yourself look like more of a rebel. When you really think about it, it makes sense. I love punk, but its really true. Just a bunch of boy bands right from the start, conforming to another stereotype and contradicting everything punk apparently stands for. It was always corrupted

*Gets out of forum and rethinks entire life*

RockThe40oz
08-03-2009, 07:54 PM
Do you actually know anything about punk?

I'm pretty sure you don't and you should either become educated or shut the f*ck up.

The_Bosstone
08-03-2009, 08:02 PM
punk was born dead, its a giant gimmick used to make yourself look like more of a rebel. When you really think about it, it makes sense. I love punk, but its really true. Just a bunch of boy bands right from the start, conforming to another stereotype and contradicting everything punk apparently stands for. It was always corruptedShut the fuck up. Just because you realized the Sex Pistols were sell outs doesn't mean you can say that kind of bull. Alot of punk was incredibly original and brought ideas to the table that weren't ever considered before. Every scene is going to have bands who just want to conform, but all of those bands were never celebrated or important to the scene anyway.

werty22
08-03-2009, 08:09 PM
I think you might not get sarcasm either. :rolleyes:
Sorry. That's why I "thought you might" be an idiot. I considered the sarcasm scenario, but with the silly billies that have been comin' in here lately I was inclined to believe you were being serious.

Rancid Ivy
08-03-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm starting to love this thread

Cubscout
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Punk cannot die.... its an ideal not a genre... it will live forever... right now there is a kid in a garage playing loud, fast, sloppy music that is true punk

oh and keep an ear out for the new social D cant wait to see what mike and the boys put out

BostonLacrosse
08-03-2009, 11:09 PM
Punk cannot die.... its an ideal not a genre... it will live forever... right now there is a kid in a garage playing loud, fast, sloppy music that is true punk

oh and keep an ear out for the new social D cant wait to see what mike and the boys put out

...you're a ****ing idiot

RockThe40oz
08-04-2009, 12:19 AM
I'm pretty sure he stole the first half of his post from a Tim Armstrong interview...

Motorbreath628
08-04-2009, 12:19 AM
Shut the fuck up. Just because you realized the Sex Pistols were sell outs doesn't mean you can say that kind of bull. Alot of punk was incredibly original and brought ideas to the table that weren't ever considered before. Every scene is going to have bands who just want to conform, but all of those bands were never celebrated or important to the scene anyway.

This is exactly what I am talking about. Don't make false assumptions on things you can't comprehend. Read through what I said, and think about it, and actually use some logic. Be a little open minded. And also, I said nothing about the sex pistols, so i have no idea where that came from. Honestly, from your rather narrow minded, uniformed, some what elitist opinion, I would say you're just an angsty 14 year old getting upset because someone has expressed their own opinion on something you enjoy. As previously stated, I love all kinds of punk, and all kinds of music in general. But then again, I don't want to stereotype, because I would be what you are being, an ignorant hypocrite. Obviously I'm not going to take this stupid internet argument any further, but clearly you have not grown up.

My_Name_Is_Van
08-04-2009, 12:28 AM
Sorry. That's why I "thought you might" be an idiot. I considered the sarcasm scenario, but with the silly billies that have been comin' in here lately I was inclined to believe you were being serious.

No I was just kidding. It's cool, man. No hard feelings either way?

werty22
08-04-2009, 12:36 AM
Who were you referring to when you said "Just a bunch of boy bands right from the start?" Usually when people say crap like that, they're talking about the Sex Pistols. When was "the start" and who are these boybands? The Stooges? The New York Dolls? The Ramones?

And what about "conforming to another stereotype and contradicting everything punk apparently stands for?" How can a band do this at "the start," before the stereotypes existed and before it stood for anything?

I honestly don't care what you think about it, I'm just pointing out your faulty logic.

Jett Diamond
08-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Even after reading your retort to Bosstone, I can quite clearly say there's no logic behind your opinion. In the earliest formations of the punk scene (read: when it was "born"), there was no standard to conform to, making the statement that it was a bunch of boy-bands conforming to a stereotype impossible.
It obviously evolved into a genre in which pieces are dedicated to making yourself look like a rebel, that has standards one could choose to conform to, etc. But honestly, I'm gonna say that if you feel it was born that way and is automatically used that way by everyone involved in it (on any scale), you're ignorant.

If you want to respond to my post, you can do so by backing up your initial statement and not whining about how immature and angsty I am. Your reply to Bosstone was a pretty weak one that sounded to me like you were saying "I can't back up my statement so I'm going to discredit yours."

charliezard!
08-04-2009, 12:44 AM
This is exactly what I am talking about. Don't make false assumptions on things you can't comprehend. Read through what I said, and think about it, and actually use some logic. Be a little open minded. And also, I said nothing about the sex pistols, so i have no idea where that came from. Honestly, from your rather narrow minded, uniformed, some what elitist opinion, I would say you're just an angsty 14 year old getting upset because someone has expressed their own opinion on something you enjoy. As previously stated, I love all kinds of punk, and all kinds of music in general. But then again, I don't want to stereotype, because I would be what you are being, an ignorant hypocrite. Obviously I'm not going to take this stupid internet argument any further, but clearly you have not grown up.

It's amazing how, after a reading through a 6 page thread full of idiots, someone still manages to surprise me with their idiocy.

axeslash
08-04-2009, 12:52 AM
This is exactly what I am talking about. Don't make false assumptions on things you can't comprehend. Read through what I said, and think about it, and actually use some logic. Be a little open minded. And also, I said nothing about the sex pistols, so i have no idea where that came from. Honestly, from your rather narrow minded, uniformed, some what elitist opinion, I would say you're just an angsty 14 year old getting upset because someone has expressed their own opinion on something you enjoy. As previously stated, I love all kinds of punk, and all kinds of music in general. But then again, I don't want to stereotype, because I would be what you are being, an ignorant hypocrite. Obviously I'm not going to take this stupid internet argument any further, but clearly you have not grown up.Ho boy I'm ready to do some textual sparring with your sorry rhetoric.

I'm gonna flame you so good you're gonna wish I didn't flame you so good.

P.S. You'll get bonus points if you call me an elitist kid who just feels butthurt. Double points if you can break Godwin's Law.

werty22
08-04-2009, 12:57 AM
I think he would help validate Godwin's Law, not break it.

bucketned
08-04-2009, 03:34 AM
if you call me an elitist kid who just feels butthurt.
calling people butthurt is probably one the funniest things to do
no one wants to be butthurt!

lavazza
08-04-2009, 05:12 AM
I remember the time Nemo was still here, when this thread would´ve become a political discussion right on the first page

axeslash
08-04-2009, 05:13 AM
PUNKS NOT DEAD BECAUSE JESUS TOLD ME SO ALSO UFO's

RockThe40oz
08-04-2009, 06:46 AM
PUNKS NOT DEAD BECAUSE JESUS TOLD ME SO ALSO UFO's
He'd also tell me I was a little snotty yuppie bastard because I'm a mechanical engineer for a private company.... and that he was so much more genuine because he was a mechanical engineer for a private company.

Cubscout
08-04-2009, 08:04 AM
Thanks!!!! I try!!!

The_Bosstone
08-04-2009, 11:52 AM
This is exactly what I am talking about. Don't make false assumptions on things you can't comprehend. Read through what I said, and think about it, and actually use some logic. Be a little open minded. And also, I said nothing about the sex pistols, so i have no idea where that came from. Honestly, from your rather narrow minded, uniformed, some what elitist opinion, I would say you're just an angsty 14 year old getting upset because someone has expressed their own opinion on something you enjoy. As previously stated, I love all kinds of punk, and all kinds of music in general. But then again, I don't want to stereotype, because I would be what you are being, an ignorant hypocrite. Obviously I'm not going to take this stupid internet argument any further, but clearly you have not grown up.:haha

So basically, your argument is "I'm right because you are wrong"?

axeslash
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
He'd also tell me I was a little snotty yuppie bastard because I'm a mechanical engineer for a private company.... and that he was so much more genuine because he was a mechanical engineer for a private company.And I was a yuppie scum-sucker because I wasn't a mechanical engineer working for a private company.

Motorbreath628
08-04-2009, 02:18 PM
Well, after reading all your posts, I was clearly wrong. Sorry for being an arrogant dumbass

axeslash
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Well, after reading all your posts, I was clearly wrong. Sorry for being an arrogant dumbassDamn straight.

Frank Fury
08-06-2009, 04:59 AM
It's just a damn music genre, relax everyone.

lavazza
08-06-2009, 05:21 AM
It's just a damn music genre, relax everyone.

sorry......you must´ve mixed the forums......Metal is just a genre, Punk on the other hand is more......

Frank Fury
08-06-2009, 12:56 PM
sorry......you must´ve mixed the forums......Metal is just a genre, Punk on the other hand is more......
Maybe so, but what started as a music genre is best as a music genre. When people turn it into a subculture they start getting self righteous and ****. I mean, sure it's okay to have your own beliefs and be true to yourself, but that doesn't mean that, while you have your own beliefs that other people can't have different ones. Nothing's going to change. All punk is, is just a competition to see who's right and who's wrong rather than enjoy the music and take a stance about something worth fighting for, rather than to just argue amongst each other and with people that listen to the faux-punk of today's generation. If they want to listen to that and call themselves "rebels", who are we to tell them they're wrong? Let them look stupid. There's better things to argue about, guys.

devourthekitten
08-06-2009, 02:37 PM
You guys honestly continued this thread for eight pages? Faggots.

Mack56
08-06-2009, 03:22 PM
Punk is dead because of threads like this and everyone's inability to walk away from an argument.

axeslash
08-06-2009, 03:54 PM
Maybe so, but what started as a music genre is best as a music genre. When people turn it into a subculture they start getting self righteous and ****. I mean, sure it's okay to have your own beliefs and be true to yourself, but that doesn't mean that, while you have your own beliefs that other people can't have different ones. Nothing's going to change. All punk is, is just a competition to see who's right and who's wrong rather than enjoy the music and take a stance about something worth fighting for, rather than to just argue amongst each other and with people that listen to the faux-punk of today's generation. If they want to listen to that and call themselves "rebels", who are we to tell them they're wrong? Let them look stupid. There's better things to argue about, guys.Oh look, another person arguing based on the few pseudo-punks he's seen in his life. Nothing I love more than anecdotal evidence.

pinheadslts75
08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
You guys honestly continued this thread for eight pages? Faggots.

real punx set to 40 posts a page

Frank Fury
08-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Oh look, another person arguing based on the few pseudo-punks he's seen in his life. Nothing I love more than anecdotal evidence.It's not just psuedo-punks, its like the whole damn subculture has to be a group of elitist pricks.

David_Bowie=GOD
08-06-2009, 04:40 PM
How is this still open?

Frank Fury
08-07-2009, 01:41 AM
Lock this **** up.

sargasm
08-07-2009, 03:04 AM
ahahaha how did it take me like 8 days to see this thread.