The My-Bloody-Valentine/Noisy Shoegaze sound

PDA

View Full Version : The My-Bloody-Valentine/Noisy Shoegaze sound

Sanyore
08-02-2009, 11:07 AM
So, I haven't picked up my guitar in about 2 years because my main motivation for playing was metal, which I've pretty much stopped listening to. Anyway, I'm really into My Bloody Valentine now, and I wanted to know how I could get a similar sound to that on Loveless.

I've got ****ty equipment, and a friend made a joke that it might actually help; I've got some strange counterfeit Washburn guitar of which I can only find two pictures on all of the internet, and a ****ty Fender amp.

So, HELP PLEASE.

ChordMonger
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
ermmm....Kevin shields had an ungodly amount of gear, and nearly drove his bandmates crazy trying to track out the right sounds for Loveless. god luck man
~b

the_wiz
08-02-2009, 11:14 AM
I do not claim to be an expert in My Bloody Valentine's music, but what I have noticed is that their guitar player uses the whammy bar when strumming chords, he pushes it down as he strums. They have two guitarists, one of them uses a TON of effects, mostly distortion and reverb. I wouldn't take that to the bank, but I hope it helps. Cheers!

.starrk
08-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I just looked up Sometimes on Youtube. I'd say find the worst sounding amp you can find, turn the tone knob all the way back on your guitar, and play through a distortion pedal with an overly unnecessary amount of gain, and you are set.

nightraven
08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
get an alesis nanoverb and a boss hm-2 :p:

that's kevin shields on a budget

you have to run the reverb in front of the distortion and play open chords

Underjoggle
08-02-2009, 11:32 AM
You need a good, loud tube amp, a good set of dirt boxes (dist/fuzz/OD), and a little reverb (hopefully your amp has it). Not so much reverb that everything sounds like it's in outer space, though. Not to mention you need a guitar with a floating non-double-locking tremolo, preferably a Jazzmaster/Jaguar.

That should do it for the gear. The real trick is playing correctly. Kevin Shields pushes and pulls on the tremolo as he's strumming, and that can take some time to master. Shoegaze is easily played without a tremolo (I do it all the time), but for a MBV sound, it's a must. The right chords are important, too. Airy, almost dissonant chords give the songs that, well, airy and dissonant sound. My favorites are open chords played higher on the neck (Try a G open shape on the 8th fret, for example, or a C shape on the 5th fret).

I just looked up Sometimes on Youtube. I'd say find the worst sounding amp you can find, turn the tone knob all the way back on your guitar, and play through a distortion pedal with an overly unnecessary amount of gain, and you are set.
...says a barbarian metalhead.

.starrk
08-02-2009, 11:38 AM
...says a barbarian metalhead.
Not really a metalhead, amigo. Just telling the TS what I could hear.

Sanyore
08-02-2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks everyone. Especially Underjoggle. Although this probably won't happen in the near future, seeing as I'll need a new amp, guitar etc. I think my guitar goes ridiculously out of tune when a tremolo's in use. I'll see though.

Oh, MetalGS3SE, listen to To Here Knows When, I Only Said and Blown A Wish. hubba hubba.

.starrk
08-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Oh, MetalGS3SE, listen to To Here Knows When, I Only Said and Blown A Wish. hubba hubba.
I'll give it a try. But after all of the hype I've heard about shoegaze around here, I was severely disappointed with MBV.

STABxYOU
08-02-2009, 12:48 PM
Listen to When You Sleep too.

nightraven
08-02-2009, 03:06 PM
I'll give it a try. But after all of the hype I've heard about shoegaze around here, I was severely disappointed with MBV.
it's sort of an acquired taste. MBV's 'you made me realise' EP is a good place to start i think.

there's a thread in GG&A called 'gear for post rock' which is a big discussion/spam thread where we talk about gear for all the more atmospheric/textural types of music, including shoegaze.