Cow Punk

PDA

View Full Version : Cow Punk

Gnomefry
08-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Living in the south, I've recently come across Cow Punk which is a sub genre of course, of punk. It combines punk rock with country music, folk music, and blues in sound, subject matter, attitude, and style. Cow Punk began in Southern California in the 80's. Some of my favorites are Gun Club, X, and the Meat Puppets. Does anyone else approve or have suggestions on Cow Punk? :) (With less of a country sound)

DempseyPunk
08-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Living in the south, I've recently come across Cow Punk which is a sub genre of course, of punk. It combines punk rock with country music, folk music, and blues in sound, subject matter, attitude, and style. Cow Punk began in Southern California in the 80's. Some of my favorites are Gun Club, X, and the Meat Puppets. Does anyone else approve or have suggestions on Cow Punk? :)
if anything its called blues punk...cow punk isnt a real genre...unless you mean more of a bluegrass punk....

charliezard!
08-02-2009, 08:01 PM
Cow punk is okay, I guess. I liked the Meat Puppets' first album. Not really a big enough genre to discuss, unless I'm missing out on a lot of it.

mbbmalcolm
08-02-2009, 11:35 PM
meat puppets are ****en amazing. I saw em like a month ago, and it was a beautiful experience.

werty22
08-03-2009, 12:59 AM
I've heard Social Distortion called cow punk. I don't like them, but there ya go. I don't see any country influence in X, but I guess there's quite a bit of their music I haven't heard.

Jett Diamond
08-03-2009, 01:17 AM
if anything its called blues punk...cow punk isnt a real genre...unless you mean more of a bluegrass punk....
Threads on cow punk come up all the time on here it seems. I've always thought of blues punk as being something else...

TS: I really don't have much experience with cow punk, but a band like the Joneses might satisfy some of your urges? They did a pretty decent cover of Your Cheatin' Heart and had some good songs like She's So Filthy and Pillbox. Otherwise, I don't have much of a suggestion off the top of my head. I do dig me some Old Crow Medicine Show, but I don't think they're very punk.

lolmnt
08-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Ninja Gun? Lucero?

Nexium
08-03-2009, 10:32 AM
So,

Psychobilly?

neidnarb11890
08-03-2009, 10:54 AM
X aren't "cow punk". Billy Zoom played rockabilly licks.

dookie_dude_
08-04-2009, 05:58 AM
Gun Club's pretty righteous. And for some reason Primus comes to mind..

Gnomefry
08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
X aren't "cow punk". Billy Zoom played rockabilly licks.
Yeah, but they do have some blues influences. :confus: Right?

werty22
08-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Only indirectly, based on all their music I've heard.