Winds of Plague

PDA

View Full Version : Winds of Plague

TooToughTrenton
08-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Hey guys. Just wanted to know what everyone's opinion on Winds of Plague. I personally love them. The first album Decimate The Weak was just fantastic. In fact, it was perfect. I could not find one song that was just "okay". The biggest feature is the amazing keyboard parts. Plus, I saw them live once and it was the most intense concert that I have EVER been to. The crowd was wild and the stage presence was just amazing.

But here's one problem, Decimate The Weak might have been too good. The reason I say this is because just recently they released two songs off of their upcoming album titled The Great Stone War . These songs are different which is perfectly okay but one of them sounds just alright. Their first release will be very hard to follow up to. Maybe it'll take me some time to get used to the new songs. But I wont judge the CD until it actually comes out.

But more to the point, what is your opinion on them?

XxRustInPeacexX
08-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Winds Of Plague is the ****, on this point I agree. But they're not really hardcore.

Killcount
a) Decimate the Weak was their second release. A Cold Day in Hell is their first

b) ACDiH is better than DtW

c) This surprisingly goes in the metal forum now

d) I think they are overrated

e) I also think they sold out between their first two albums

f) they bring out all the douches in my local venue

Metal4themasses
Ya, Winds Of Plague is good and I'm excited for their upcoming release

vMinipope610v
08-03-2009, 06:57 PM
I don't get what makes this band stand out from similar bands. Their riffs aren't as exciting as similar bands, their vocals sound forced, and their keyboards are really bland, idk.

Killcount
08-03-2009, 07:00 PM
I don't get what makes this band stand out from similar bands. Their riffs aren't as exciting as similar bands, their vocals sound forced, and their keyboards are really bland, idk.
they have sick breakdowns brah

catalyst329
08-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I like some of their stuff but their singer looks like a ****in ****** though

I-am-hollywood
08-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Their creative as **** and they definitely have a more hardcore influence then other bands in their genre just listen to reloaded. Its hard to judge their 2 new tracks but they sound pretty killer I wanna hear how the whole album flows. If you think their singer looks like a douch just check out the vocalist in Suicide Silence. pwneddd :]

Killcount
08-03-2009, 07:22 PM
Their creative as **** and they definitely have a more hardcore influence then other bands in their genre just listen to reloaded. Its hard to judge their 2 new tracks but they sound pretty killer I wanna hear how the whole album flows. If you think their singer looks like a douch just check out the vocalist in Suicide Silence. pwneddd :]

I disagree with every part of that statement. Reloaded is their worst song ever. They are hardly creative, you even spelled they're wrong. The guy from suicide silence looks like less of a tool because it is obvious he isn't trying too hard

I-am-hollywood
08-03-2009, 07:28 PM
I disagree with every part of that statement. Reloaded is their worst song ever. They are hardly creative, you even spelled they're wrong. The guy from suicide silence looks like less of a tool because it is obvious he isn't trying too hard
Lets see you start a band as good as them in their genre then you can talk **** about creativity. If you don't think the guy from suicide silence is a tool your obviously overlooking the myspace haircut 99.9 percent of his fans have. spelling isn't really something I'm offended by seeing as spell check helps every idiot look somewhat intelligent.

Squifey
08-03-2009, 07:37 PM
What really gets me is that they're a Deathcore band that plays in standard/drop D, and they still bring "teh br00t4lz".

I-am-hollywood
08-03-2009, 07:38 PM
^^^^

They do? haha thats ****ingg tight

Veil Of Osiris
08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
I think they technically belong in the Metal forum, but seeing as the majority of the Metal regs are huge metal elitists who don't accept any thing -core, the WoP thread would be better here.

I like WoP, probably the most creative Deathcore band IMO. The only things I don't like about them is their vocalist (his vocabulary is similar to an angry 12 year old) and their out-of-place breakdowns.

catalyst329
08-03-2009, 08:35 PM

Nah Winds of Plague's singer is way worse lookin bro, i jus cant take him seriously at all

flyingjew34
08-03-2009, 10:43 PM
they have sick breakdowns brah
Turning the bass to 11 and hitting a diminished chord every quarter note is hardly sick. They all sound the ****ing same.

GodofCheesecake
08-04-2009, 01:12 AM
I've hated on this band in the past, but having (inadvertently) seen them twice now I'll admit the music is tolerable, if not actually decent in some parts. However, their breakdowns just suck. That first breakdown in Decimate the Weak (the song) is pretty pitiful, I'd call it the opposite of creative. Also I'll agree that the singer comes off as a huge douche, which is probably one of the reasons I'm biased against them. But to say that their album was perfect is absolutely ridiculous.
Their creative as ****
I like WoP, probably the most creative Deathcore band IMO.
You two need to listen to a lot more deathcore.

willingvictim
08-04-2009, 01:16 AM
yo, this band AND suicide silence are douchey, but i will give winds of plague a slightly less douchey rating.

edit: nvm, a took a look at both of those singers and the singer of WOP is definitely more of a douche, but they both suck anyway. WOP is more tolerable music wise

i dont know why i just spent so much time on that. i need to sleep.

I-am-hollywood
08-04-2009, 02:07 AM
haha ok lets put it this way they brought something to the genre other then copying job for a cowboy. that's why Id look at their style as creative.

GodofCheesecake
08-04-2009, 02:22 AM
Dude, there are tons of bands doing that. If you think Job For a Cowboy represents what most deathcore sounds like, you haven't exactly gotten a wide impression of the genre.

But if that's what you want to think, I'll leave you to it...

TooToughTrenton
08-04-2009, 03:25 AM
Also I'll agree that the singer comes off as a huge douche, which is probably one of the reasons I'm biased against them.

The bassist is actually a jerk. I dunno about the vocalist but the bassist was mean when I saw him.

Hybrid_Xer0
08-04-2009, 03:32 AM
I don't see how they are creative? If you are talking about the keys you need to listen to more melodic death/power metal.

willingvictim
08-04-2009, 09:32 AM
yo, the new behemoth cd puts any deathcore band to shame

Killcount
08-04-2009, 10:07 AM
Lets see you start a band as good as them in their genre then you can talk **** about creativity. If you don't think the guy from suicide silence is a tool your obviously overlooking the myspace haircut 99.9 percent of his fans have. spelling isn't really something I'm offended by seeing as spell check helps every idiot look somewhat intelligent.
We weren't talking about fans, and I still dont see how winds of plague is creative. I can think of 5 bands in deathcore off of the top of my head that are far more creative.

If anything Winds of Plague is copying the breadown featured deathcore that I'm pretty sure suicide silence did first.

+}-136-{+
08-04-2009, 10:19 AM
Well it didn't take long for this thread to descend into argument. Perhaps we should have a thread dedictated exclusively to deathcore/metalcore here just to prevent this.

saxaxe
08-04-2009, 10:22 AM
Yea, if anything about Winds of Plague is positive, it's not their creativity. They're a tight band, they play a good live show, the drummer's pretty good, but they're not creative at ALL. The stuff they write is bland and repetitive.
You want creative deathcore, check out Animosity, After The Burial, Periphery and The Devil Wears Prada.

Killcount
08-04-2009, 10:29 AM
^TDWP isn't really deathcore, but w/e

Akeldama is by far the best deathcore album out there

flyingjew34
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Well it didn't take long for this thread to descend into argument. Perhaps we should have a thread dedictated exclusively to deathcore/metalcore here just to prevent this.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1153727

I-am-hollywood
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Dude, there are tons of bands doing that. If you think Job For a Cowboy represents what most deathcore sounds like, you haven't exactly gotten a wide impression of the genre.

But if that's what you want to think, I'll leave you to it...

Not saying every band copy's them in that genre just the most of them. Im a guitarist so I can appreciate the effort that bands put into writing and their guitar playing is definitely unique. I'm done arguing about this band they kick ass get over it the 5 people in this thread talking **** dosn't do anything to hurt the bands reputation that came from countless tours and writing solid albums. The Faceless isn't deathcore more like progressive death metal that's quoted from a interview with Micheal Keane the guitarist.

Squifey
08-04-2009, 12:54 PM
^TDWP isn't really deathcore, but w/e

Akeldama is by far the best deathcore album out there
+1,000,000,000

Killcount
08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Akeldama is a deathcore album, just like BTBAMs self titled and The Red Chords first two albums.

"unique guitar playing" :haha:

the exact same 5 note metalcore riffage with a ton of open note breakdowns and generic filler sweeps is hardly unique. Take out the keyboards and these guys are a shit version of suicide silence or whitechapel.

I listen to them every once in awhile, but I cant stand the onslaught of shit breakdowns, the fact that the only transition they can even execute is a pause then restart, and the terrible vocals, and the abortion that is their lyrics. Their first album is considerably better than the new one, and I'm assuming their upcoming album will only be worse since they confirmed that breakdowns and stupid gang vocals sell albums and even stupider t-shirts

I-am-hollywood
08-04-2009, 03:57 PM

the exact same 5 note metalcore riffage with a ton of open note breakdowns and generic filler sweeps is hardly unique. Take out the keyboards and these guys are a shit version of suicide silence or whitechapel.

I listen to them every once in awhile, but I cant stand the onslaught of shit breakdowns, the fact that the only transition they can even execute is a pause then restart, and the terrible vocals, and the abortion that is their lyrics. Their first album is considerably better than the new one, and I'm assuming their upcoming album will only be worse since they confirmed that breakdowns and stupid gang vocals sell albums and even stupider t-shirts

Its pretty easy to make anything sound like **** with a explanation like that. Talent is talent they're where they are because of that not because they talk hella **** on forums. They live in the real world.

Killcount
08-04-2009, 04:10 PM
I live in the real world too. How else could I get on the real internet?

They are immensely overrated. How they've played ahead of bands like Dying Fetus, Origin, and Decrepit Birth amazes me. How it took an album worse than their debut to make them popular just makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with music today.

Squifey
08-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Akeldama is a deathcore album, just like BTBAMs self titled and The Red Chords first two albums.
What genre would "Pray For Eyes" be if it isn't Deathcore?

likeomgtehtuck!
08-04-2009, 05:23 PM
yo, the new behemoth cd puts any deathcore band to shame

yessssss

Killcount
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
What genre would "Pray For Eyes" be if it isn't Deathcore?
idk, but it is markedly less deathcore than Fused Together

I-am-hollywood
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM
haha its not like they try to take over the "death metal scene" they write the music they want to play and people like them. They still pay tribute to the bands that influenced them. That's why I think its stupid to talk **** about them. I think chiodos sucks but at least they accomplished themselves as musicians I can still appreciate that plus their decent live.

Killcount
08-04-2009, 06:12 PM
I'm not dissing them (besides their singer, because he is a tool), I just don't see what the big fucking deal is. They do so many things so shitily and everyone says its the greatest. There's better breakdowns, use of keyboards, guitar work and vocal work all over the place.

Plus I think they are lazy songwriters, just judging from their song structure.

Z Standard
08-04-2009, 06:20 PM

I'd put The Silent Circus closer to Deathcore than their s/t

Killcount
08-04-2009, 06:24 PM
I'd put The Silent Circus closer to Deathcore than their s/t
I seem to remember alot more deathcore-esque moments on the S/T

Arsonist is pretty much straight deathcore song, and I can't think of a song from TSC thats as notably deathcore(off the top of my head anyway)

Squifey
08-04-2009, 09:30 PM
idk, but it is markedly less deathcore than Fused Together
Yea, it's a lot less Deathcore then Fused, but it's still Deathcore, kinda like how Born of Osiris had a full fledged Deathcore album then came out with one that kinda sounded non-deathcoreish, yet, it is still labeled Deathcore.

Partybassist
08-05-2009, 04:31 AM
I like them alot it's just... Throughout the whole "Decimate the Weak" days they were all wiggers! I mean, we all seen "The Impaler" video... What was up with that? The only hardcore moment was in the end. Yeah, the must was pretty badass, but their style didn't fit it at all.

And with their new album, they sound COMPLETELY different and now they're dressing like they're hardcore/live on the edge guys? I think they need to make up their minds on this ****. But... All in all I guess they're a really good band. I enjoy their new songs more than I do the original.

Hybrid_Xer0
08-05-2009, 05:29 AM
The new songs don't sound that different to me.

flyingjew34
08-05-2009, 11:11 AM
I like them alot it's just... Throughout the whole "Decimate the Weak" days they were all wiggers! I mean, we all seen "The Impaler" video... What was up with that? The only hardcore moment was in the end. Yeah, the must was pretty badass, but their style didn't fit it at all.
This may be the only time I ever say something like this... but they definitely looked better as wiggers/douchebags >.<

The picture of their bassist on myspace literally made me 'lol' :haha:

Magero
08-05-2009, 11:13 AM
All their myspace pics are quite lol :haha

Killcount
08-05-2009, 11:22 AM
This may be the only time I ever say something like this... but they definitely looked better as wiggers/douchebags >.<

I remember the first time I saw them live, the singer didn't look like a wigger at all, and they had a guy keyboardist, who played all these gnarly classical songs during sound check. Back when they were good, and At the Throne of Judgement was still together, and not everybody was fellating over Born of Osiris

Magero
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah.
2008 was a great year.

Killcount
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
07 actually :p:

Magero
08-05-2009, 11:38 AM
Either way.

chrisg7
08-05-2009, 12:31 PM
:haha: :haha: :haha: yes and their vocallist looks like even more of a douche with that mohawk

I-am-hollywood
08-05-2009, 12:51 PM
^^^^

haha yeh image can ruin a band. Ill still see them live their playing with dying fetus and hatebreed in my town pretty soon. Yeh thats true Born Of Osiris does have alot of hype copared to the other bands in their genre their pretty solid for their sound though.

Squifey
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM

And with their new album, they sound COMPLETELY different and now they're dressing like they're hardcore/live on the edge guys? I think they need to make up their minds on this ****. But... All in all I guess they're a really good band. I enjoy their new songs more than I do the original.
I think they've always been edge. I could be wrong though.