ska guitar

PDA

View Full Version : ska guitar

skatinpunk
08-04-2009, 10:14 AM
alright guys so i am trying to improve my ska guitar skills. i needs some songs with good skanking parts but nothing too hard. i like most ska, so the band doesn't matter.
thanks in advance!

thrash-it-up
08-04-2009, 10:17 AM
try some specials, pretty easy to play, and it doesnt get more ska than the specials

metsfann2020
08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Dude these are easy and help you out with ska chords
Beer- Reel Big Fish
Streetlight Manifesto
Catch-22

Good luck with your skills man

Sludgemunsta
08-04-2009, 10:31 AM
hopskotch by farse

really short, easy and catchy :]

skatinpunk
08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
try some specials, pretty easy to play, and it doesnt get more ska than the specials
sorry i didn't make it clear but i am looking for individual songs. so if you could tell me a song by them that would be good for beginning ska guitar, that would be great.

BlaiseTheSlayer
08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Try Sound System by Operation Ivy.

neidnarb11890
08-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Every ska song essentially has the same guitar part, so any.

GreenDayChris
08-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Madness by Prince Buster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZC6Ot1MLP0

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/p/prince_buster/madness_crd.htm

skatinpunk
08-04-2009, 03:10 PM
Every ska song essentially has the same guitar part, so any.
:no:

BR0KENHEARTED
08-04-2009, 03:38 PM
:no:

Yaaa didn't you know every ska song starts on upstroking on A.

Evan360
08-04-2009, 05:30 PM
Any Sublime would help. I'd suggest Jailhouse, Pawnshop, and Date Rape

BlaiseTheSlayer
08-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Any Sublime would help. I'd suggest Jailhouse, Pawnshop, and Date Rape
54-46/Ball and Chain

SKAtastic7770
08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Slower more traditional ska strumming, I recommend Prince Buster. Songs like "Al Capone"," Madness", "rough Rider". For that same traditional ska strumming sith some more punk bite, practice with some specials "Little Bitch", "Concrete Jungle", "Nite Klub". as for Op Ivy, Check out "Sound System" or anything off of energy. More third wave ska listen to the slower Bosstones songs, Nate Albert does some really hip and weird ska strumming, a really cool sound. "Someday I Suppose", "Royal Oil" Faster bosstones songs like "Dr. D" and "Cowboy Coffee" are good for intense fast ska punk. "Freeeeeebiiiird!!! Freeeeeebiird!" b bomb the music Industry is that way too. Actually a lot of BtMI is. And lastly Reel Big Fish, most of Turn The Radio Off uses that great 3rd wave strum with playing the 2 eighth notes at the start of each bar. One last one to note is the live version of "Beer" by RBF. the strumming Aaron Barret uses on that track changed the way I play ska, its what I use in most of my songs now.

One more thing, dont limit yourself to just upstroke rythm. Alot of traditional ska (Desmond Dekker) the guitar plays arpeggiated leads like a bassline (palm muted sometimes).

bucketned
08-05-2009, 03:14 AM
check out stuff by infamous jake
it will get you playing the ska chords and hardcore stuff

jakesmellspoo
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
NOFX- All Outta Angst (really, i know they're not ska, and you don't need to inform me if you think they suck, its just a really easy song to practice upstroking with)
Op Ivy- Yellin' In My Ear
Goldfinger- Superman
and like a few other people said, Date Rape is good to learn as well

fanski
08-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I think when I started playing ska I was looking at Less Than Jake (from their better years) and a bit of two-tone. Do you know the actual 'theory' behind it? I'm going to assume so, but I've found that even where you place your right hand (or left if you're lefty) can help with the muting. I generally don't play over the pickups. It's not the 'right' way that most people play guitar, but I find that using the open section of the strings to place most of my hand and playing practically on the fretboard itself just seems to give me better control over muting and speed. But thats just me, you might find that absolutely ridiculous.

If you feel like stepping away from the simple two-tone and early 3rd wave styles, check out some streetlight stuff. If you listen, on some tracks, kalnocky does a 1+2 strum and then mutes, or at least thats what I've picked up from listening to it, and I use that style a lot depending what I'm going for when I'm writing. Also, check out some funk. Not quite the same, but some interested muted rhythms there.

santa_man99
08-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Why Don't You Get a Job by the Offspring. They aren't a ska band, per se, but the song does have ska instrumentation and the signature ska-syncopated-upstroke. Also, anything by Less Than Jake, Sublime, Five Iron Frenzy, but I'm not going to list all the bands, go to the "ska for n00bs thread" and find out yourself.

jakesmellspoo
08-25-2009, 08:32 PM
you can go to the lessons area of UG and type in "ska" theres like 2 or 3 entries