Sigma (C.F. Martin & Co) DM1S

PDA

View Full Version : Sigma (C.F. Martin & Co) DM1S

Inflames765
08-04-2009, 05:39 PM
Hey guys. So, I just bought a Sigma DM1S off of some guy. The guitar is in great condition and has absolutely beautiful tone. I paid $280 (Canadian) for it, but I can't seem to find any information on this specific model. I can find some information on a load of other Sigma models, but nothing about this one. The serial # is 92129987. I was just wondering if anybody had any information on the guitar, maybe year this model was made, actual worth (Because I'm pretty sure that it's worth more than what I paid for), etc. The only reason that I bought this was because my stepdad has a Sigma (different model), but it's the best guitar I've ever played due to it's great tone and playability. Any information would be great. If you like I could post pictures too.

Thanks Guys!

Frames4ever
08-04-2009, 09:15 PM
pics?

captivate
08-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Sigmas were made in Japan back in the 70s and 80s(?). 70s for sure. Anyhow, they actually aren't usually worth very much because they're technically not real Martins. Many, however, play and sound just wonderful. I can't say that I know anything about any of the Sigma models, but I hope that tidbit of info helped you in some way.

GC Shred Off
08-04-2009, 11:14 PM
...they actually aren't usually worth very much because they're technically not real Martins. Many, however, play and sound just wonderful.
SHHHHH! You're going to let the word out! :peace:

In all honesty, the Sigma DR-28H I've had for about 12 years is perfect in every way. I just wish it wasn't so damn worn down from constant playing. I've never heard of your particular model, but you paid a sensible price for it. Mine cost about the same, in 1997 dollars. I hope your experience ends up as good as mine. It beats me why they don't cost a whole hell of a lot more.

Edit: In case you're curious, the D stands for dreadnought and the M stands for mahogany.

Double Edit: And, from what I remember, the number after ranges from 1-7, with 7 being the fanciest. Also, if you look at where it's made, you can roughly determine the year it was built. I don't think the Sigma serial number records are nearly as accurate as Martin's, so an exact production date might be tough to find.

captivate
08-04-2009, 11:21 PM
^ Good point. LOL. I should go stockpile Sigmas instead of buying new guitars. :p:

chilli1327
09-21-2009, 03:25 PM
Hey guys. So, I just bought a Sigma DM1S off of some guy. The guitar is in great condition and has absolutely beautiful tone. I paid $280 (Canadian) for it, but I can't seem to find any information on this specific model. I can find some information on a load of other Sigma models, but nothing about this one. The serial # is 92129987. I was just wondering if anybody had any information on the guitar, maybe year this model was made, actual worth (Because I'm pretty sure that it's worth more than what I paid for), etc. The only reason that I bought this was because my stepdad has a Sigma (different model), but it's the best guitar I've ever played due to it's great tone and playability. Any information would be great. If you like I could post pictures too.

Thanks Guys!
Your guitar:

DM-1ST and DR-1ST

The Sigma DM-1ST Mahogany features*:

* A Dreadnought Body
* Solid Spruce Top
* Laminated Mahogany Back and Sides
* Black/White/Black Rosette
* Scalloped X-Bracing
* Solid Rosewood Fingerboard
* Ebonized Rosewood Bridge
* Position Dot Fingerboard Inlays
* Polished Transparent Gloss Body and Top
* Chrome Enclosed Tuning Machines with Chrome Buttons
* Black Bridge Pins
* Black Pickguard
* Total Length: 40 3/4"
* Body Length: 19 15/16"
* Body Width: 15 3/4"
* Body Depth: 4 3/4"
* Scale Length: 25.4"
* Frets: 14/20 (Clear/Total)
* Fingerboard Width: 1 15/16 (at nut)

A little history about Martin-Sigmas.

These guitars were made from 1970 to 2007.
Made to model after the origional Martins and to compete with Japanese and other models at the time.
Solid wood back, sides, tops to 1978 or 1979, laminated back and sides, solid top after that.
Manufacture shifted to Korea in 1984, to Taiwan in the late 80's
The Sigma Logo carried an Epsilon character until the change in 1978 or 1979, then carried the Martin styled "SigmaGuitars Est.1970" after that.
D = Dreadnaught
R = Rosewood
M = Mahogany

Posting pics would be a great Idea. Going by your s/n, it is a late model Sigma. I have been doing research on these guitars for years, and sadly, there is not much out there and Martin offers virtually nothing about the Sigmas. There are stories that Martin was embarassed but the quality of the cheaper well made Sgmas to one of their offices burning down that held so many of the records (and this is true), but all I can say is that the best Sigmas were built before the production moved to Korea.

So simply put, your guitar is probably worth what you paid for it.
I purchased a DR-28 in 1980 and still have it to this day. It has a loud voice with brilliant tones and the quality is second to none. I have heard some info on modifying the guitar to improve sound quality and I am going to pursue this.

If you have any specific question, please let me know and I will do some more digging for you.

clayonfire
09-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Chilli comes in with the win. I think that's pretty much all one would want to know (but then again, I'm not the one seeking to know). My friend's got a sigma and she loves it to death.