Four on Six - Wes Montgomery help.

PDA

View Full Version : Four on Six - Wes Montgomery help.

willwelsh816
08-06-2009, 12:17 PM
There is a tab for the song "Four on Six" by Wes Montgomery, and I'm trying to learn some parts of it, but what scale(s) is it based on?

like the single note parts and the octave part.

aetherspear
08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
It's mostly in Gminor if I remember correctly, but Wes usually follows the changes and plays differently over each chord as it goes by. Tabs are no way to learn jazz, if you want to be taken seriously learn to read music and get a real book. Check my profile for a great recording of Four on Six if you want an example.

willwelsh816
08-06-2009, 03:08 PM
I'm gonna get the signature licks book from Wes when my birthday comes along(the 16th). I hope it will help my improvision as much as the Eric Clapton one did :D

I've been widdling around in the Dorian scale for a while, although my homeground is the minor/major pentatonic. I'm trying to expand my taste, and so far, Wes has gotten me. I normally play the blues, but I'm getting more and more into Jazz.

guitarplaya322
08-06-2009, 03:16 PM
If your gonna learn the exact solo he plays, then you should figure it out by ear, it'll help you alot, if your just starting with jazz i dont think that its a good first song. You should start with some jazz blues, it will be a good transition from blues-jazz for you i think.

willwelsh816
08-06-2009, 09:00 PM
I'm just trying to get a good feel for his style. Most signature licks books give you the common scales and licks he used, so it'll help me alot. My favorite songs from him are from his "A Day in the Life" Album, especially the title track. I think I'm just getting anxous to get a good foothold on his style :D

guitarplaya322
08-06-2009, 11:11 PM
I think his best album by far is Incredible Jazz Guitar.

Punk Poser
08-07-2009, 11:39 PM
That tune's in the real book 6th edition. If don't know what that is, look up it up and get it as soon as possible because you'll need one if you want to play jazz.

smartguyreviews
08-08-2009, 01:22 AM
I'm just trying to get a good feel for his style. Most signature licks books give you the common scales and licks he used, so it'll help me alot. My favorite songs from him are from his "A Day in the Life" Album, especially the title track. I think I'm just getting anxous to get a good foothold on his style :D
that album got me into jazz. my favorite's "the joker"