I'm new to this whole thing....

PDA

View Full Version : I'm new to this whole thing....

guitarwhizkid94
08-09-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, not really.
I've been playing the blues for just about a year now, and using ug.com for the same amount of time.
Just decided to sign up yesterday though...
I just wanted to give a shout-out to all the fellow bluesmen out there, and was wondering if anyone had any soloing tips/tricks/licks that i could use to further my soloing.
Any help appreciated!
And please, keep the licks at least slightly complicated. I am quite advanced for a one-year player (or so my guitar teacher/blues musician tells me) and I'm already past all the simple
e|-----------------8b10----6------|
B|----8-----8----------------------8|
G|-----------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------|
cliche licks from all the signature artists.
Thanks!

urik
08-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Welcome to UG :). Read the rules of UG or some day you will be banned for something stupid. Though all of the mods are cool (most of the time :haha).
You may want to check this thread. Very helpful.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793974

deahhizooke
08-09-2009, 10:21 AM
If you know the scales though (at least the simple blues scale) then turn on some of your favorite blues, nothing with too many breaks or pattern changes and play along. Thats how most people adapt their own style and take influences from other artists. It forces you to pick up on their rhythms to affect your solo and place emphasis on the notes in order to phrase it with the feeling of the song.
Then pick up some tabs and learn some of the solos from the songs you like so u can pick up more licks

urik
08-09-2009, 10:24 AM
^
That's some great advice. Jamming is the best way to improve yourself in the blues.

guitarwhizkid94
08-09-2009, 10:41 AM
If you know the scales though (at least the simple blues scale) then turn on some of your favorite blues, nothing with too many breaks or pattern changes and play along. Thats how most people adapt their own style and take influences from other artists. It forces you to pick up on their rhythms to affect your solo and place emphasis on the notes in order to phrase it with the feeling of the song.
Then pick up some tabs and learn some of the solos from the songs you like so u can pick up more licks
That's what i've heard. I have a TiVo copy of Eric Clapton's 2007 Crossroads festival and i've been imitating what i hear on that then trying to solo over the songs.
Welcome to UG :). Read the rules of UG or some day you will be banned for something stupid.

Thanks!
EDIT: and thanks for the link!

Jimmy94
08-09-2009, 02:32 PM
descending or ascending triplets are always fun, not just for blues but just about any genre

e|-8--5---5----
B|------8---8--5--8--5
G|---------------------7
D|
A|
E|

etc. down the scale

guitarwhizkid94
08-09-2009, 08:11 PM
^^^^ love using those

carmour
08-09-2009, 08:26 PM
Well, not really.
I've been playing the blues for just about a year now, and using ug.com for the same amount of time.
Just decided to sign up yesterday though...
I just wanted to give a shout-out to all the fellow bluesmen out there, and was wondering if anyone had any soloing tips/tricks/licks that i could use to further my soloing.
Any help appreciated!
And please, keep the licks at least slightly complicated. I am quite advanced for a one-year player (or so my guitar teacher/blues musician tells me) and I'm already past all the simple
e|-----------------8b10----6------|
B|----8-----8----------------------8|
G|-----------------------------------|
D|-----------------------------------|
A|-----------------------------------|
E|-----------------------------------|
cliche licks from all the signature artists.
Thanks!

put some recordings up so we can assess whether you are actually past all the simple licks from ALL the signature artists

wtf

you know all the classic T-bone licks? all the B.B. Licks with good execution/timing/tone and you know where and when to use them? Buddy Guy? Muddy Waters? Hubert Sumlin, Albert King? thats a pretty big claim ;P

you might be able to psychically play them, but making them sound fine is a whole other thing

guitarwhizkid94
08-09-2009, 09:53 PM
i'll put some recordings up when i've got a chance, which won't be for awhile. im reaaaaaaaaaaly busy these next two weeks then school starts up.
i see what you mean though, and i kinda meant that the wrong way. thinkin about it, most of the good licks ARE simple, and "all the signature artists" was kinda a slip of the tongue. most people, and certainly not me, can claim to know ALL the licks from ALL the artists. i see where ur coming from though. my bad!

cornmancer
08-09-2009, 10:00 PM
put some recordings up so we can assess whether you are actually past all the simple licks from ALL the signature artists

wtf

you know all the classic T-bone licks? all the B.B. Licks with good execution/timing/tone and you know where and when to use them? Buddy Guy? Muddy Waters? Hubert Sumlin, Albert King? thats a pretty big claim ;P

you might be able to psychically play them, but making them sound fine is a whole other thing
Your being a little overly critical but you have a point. Do you really know and FEEL all those licks you play, I'm lacking in the actual licks department but because I feel my way through them I'm good for now.

carmour
08-10-2009, 01:19 AM
I'm just saying that because I've been playing blues for quite a bit longer than him and i'm still learning and perfecting signature licks, it's an ongoing thing, and is even harder to get right when you're playing live ;P

most important thing for blues is not the licks you play but how you play them

guitarwhizkid94
08-10-2009, 09:50 AM
^^ exactly. it doesnt matter if you know all the licks in the world if you can't incorporate them into your soloing. incorporating them is something i do whenever i jam to any songs/backing tracks or with my guitar teacher. but at the same time, i'm always lookin for new licks to know so that i work them into my solos as well. like you said, its an ongoing thing.