I know why I hate practicing: I need angrier Jazz music.

PDA

View Full Version : I know why I hate practicing: I need angrier Jazz music.

Kevy Absolution
08-10-2009, 10:27 AM
So I hate practicing solo. In my jazz ensemble, it's fun and interesting. On my own, it sucks, I have no backing tracks, and I can't concentrate sometimes. Worst part is that it's only on guitar; I could play my horn all day on my own and just run through charts. And I realized that when I have fun practicing, I'm not playing jazz. I'm playing rock, metalcore, or whatever. Angrier stuff. Aggressive stuff. Fun stuff.

So I had an epiphany...what if I broadened my horizons from jazz standards and looked at more modern, hopefully more aggressive stuff? Then, I could have my cake and eat it too. So could anyone please, please give me the names of some charts that are a little more modern, and even a little angrier and aggressive? Listing sources for the charts would be great too. I really appreciate it.

Kevy Absolution
08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
Wtf dude, don't limit yourself to one genre. It doesn't even matter if it's angrier, go out and listen to a bunch of stuff. Jazz is great, but it's not the only music out there.

Edit: Also, search these forums. There are tons of recommendation threads for most genres of music.

A. I did search, I'm looking more specific than what's on the threads already.

B. I've been playing jazz for six years; I have played pieces from every era and I don't really need your approval to ask for a specific sort of piece.'

I'm asking because there are countless charts, but unlike most modern music, I don't have the ability to just access sheet music on whim for them, so I'm getting recommendations.

EDIT: Wrong number.

Kevy Absolution
08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Any intelligent replies?

aetherspear
08-10-2009, 01:22 PM
The following is an intelligent reply. The recommendation thread is stickied at the top of this forum. It has a list of great artists (I'm sure you haven't heard all of them), more importantly it is where you go to request recommendations from people in a particular style, genre, instrument, etc.

ze monsta
08-10-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm going to try and help out, but I'm not sure I'll be much help. Usually I would be a bitch and tell you to use the recommendation thread, but you've made this thread so nicely I'm going to look past it. :o Jazz isn't really my best subject but I'll try and give some help.

From what I've read, I thought that you should check out some more Fusion stuff like Jeff Beck, Guthrie Govan, Al Di Meola, and Pat Metheny. Also perhaps you should check out some Progressive Metal. I can't tell you anything specific and don't know if you already have and love it or whatever, but I thought I might as well put it out there.

imgooley
08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
You don't have to be a dick. I was honestly trying to help you out. You came asking for help, don't act like a stuck up little kid.
I don't understand what you're saying. Obviously he plays various styles of music. Obviously, he's in a Jazz Ensemble. He's asking for angry jazz pieces.

sinan90
08-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Check out Acoustic Ladyland, the stuff after their first acoustic album is punk jazz really, so I'm guessing the type of aggressive stuff you're looking for. Where you'd find charts for it though I have no idea, it'll probably have to be a transcription job.

Here's some links to check out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dqr1W-4-Wo and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQbxPehDQvc

Jimmy94
08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
Charles Mingus - Black Saint and the Sinner Lady, parts of pithecanthropus erectus and blues and roots

Overall I think charles mingus fits what you're looking for the most. Maybe some of Miles Davis's fusion like in a silent way or bitches brew but that's more dark than angry. See if you can find a copy of Eric Dolphy Live at the Five Spot vol's 1 and 2, he does a few aggressive tunes with Clifford Brown including "aggression" ;)

carmour
08-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Can you read tabs? There's plenty of them to go around.

If not, get Guitar Pro and download GP tabs. They have tablature and the score for each piece.

Edit: Or get TuxGuitar. It's free and can read/write GP files.

AHAHAHHAHAHAH

the dudes been playing jazz for 6 years

and you ask if he can read tab

LOL made my day :haha:

aetherspear
08-10-2009, 09:40 PM
oh and Naked City...