Offspring.

PDA

View Full Version : Offspring.

Tokenmatt
08-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Whenever I hear any song by Offspring it always reminds me of Crazy Taxi, just wondering if this was the case with anybody else? :haha:

huskyplayer
08-17-2009, 05:11 PM
some songs yes

thrash-it-up
08-17-2009, 05:12 PM
with way down the line yes

CLIFF_BURTON
08-17-2009, 05:14 PM
I think of my younger days when I hear them, at least, their old songs.

GoodCharloteSux
08-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I love the offspring top 3 bands of all time for me, but this will be deleted very soon, so while it is open may I just say I saw them live about a month ago and it was a great show, but m,an did dexter gain some weight.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Crazy Taxi had like 3 songs in the arcade. I remember hearing at the start

YA YA YA YA YAAAA

And some Bad Religion songs.

I never understood the Offspring. Not my thing. But whats wrong with Good Charlotte my friend?

werty22
08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476070&highlight=offspring

RockThe40oz
08-17-2009, 08:25 PM
Gringo Bandito is excellent hot sauce.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Oh come on sargasm you closed the other thread but kept this garbage open. Siiiigh.

Gringo Bandito is good. Its used at our best taco place in our city Chronic Tacos. Excellent grub.

SeanX3187
08-17-2009, 09:53 PM
i think they're a great band that's gotten a bad rap for some reason.

pinheadslts75
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
The opinion of the punk forum (at least among regulars) is almost unanimous on this: The Offspring are really bad music

BR0KENHEARTED
08-17-2009, 11:41 PM
I agree.

Hey pinhead are you down to do some drinkin when I'm in Vegas next?

David_Bowie=GOD
08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I think of my younger days when I hear them, at least, their old songs.

This, this band got me into music. I used to listen to Smash and Americana all the time between ages 4-7. Still like them today, have all the albums but I really don't listen to them that much anymore.

Oh, and I think there's already a thread in the pop-punk forum.

pinheadslts75
08-18-2009, 09:51 PM
I agree.

Hey pinhead are you down to do some drinkin when I'm in Vegas next?

Thanks for the offer, but I don't like alcohol.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Alcohol doesn't like you square.

jakesmellspoo
08-23-2009, 12:37 PM
i really don't like the offspring overall, but i do like the song beheaded

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Aren't you the home boy that said the All American Rejects were a good punk band? I'm drunk at 11:30am so don't mind me if I'm wrong.

Wrong in a couple hours is going to be a blast.

Why is this still open? Fuck the Offspring.

werty22
08-23-2009, 04:10 PM
Aren't you the home boy that said the All American Rejects were a good punk band? I'm drunk at 11:30am so don't mind me if I'm wrong.
He was being sarcastic.
Why is this still open?
I don't know. Usually Offspring threads are closed pretty quickly.

iwannabesedated
08-25-2009, 05:39 PM
i think they're a great band that's gotten a bad rap for some reason.

Totally agree.

iwannabesedated
08-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Is it so bad to be popular?

It is?

Oh well....

Adam_Harrison9
08-25-2009, 09:00 PM
I like The Offspring. They write catchy songs. Ok, they haven't released anything particularly noteworthy since Americana, but the albums prior were all solid and Smash is one of the best pop-punk albums ever. Another band that gets thrown to the dogs because they're popular. That said, Splinter was a pretty bad album...

jakesmellspoo
08-25-2009, 09:06 PM
oh boy. i just remembered that time i saw the offspring when they headlined warped tour 05. i live in jersey, and apparently lots of rednecks/white trash/etc. really like them, so the audience was full of sour milk smelling, huge beer gut having, drunk as hell, dumb as ****, sweaty, hairy, and immensely stupid hicks who were starting fights every five minutes for simply bumping into each other. other irritating members of the crowd included generic teen to mid 20's douchebags who expected the crowd to move out of the way for him and his girlfriend. if you happened to brush against either of them, he'd get really mad and want to fight.

also, A LOT of people got smashed in the face/head with beer bottles

BR0KENHEARTED
08-25-2009, 09:09 PM
Welcome to shows.

jakesmellspoo
08-25-2009, 09:15 PM
eh, thats the only one i've been to that was like that. every other one has had mostly friendly punks, not dumb white trash. i mean, you might get elbowed in the face by accident (or on purpose) but most people aren't looking to throw down in the middle of a crowd

BR0KENHEARTED
08-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Wait how do shows go?

jakesmellspoo
08-25-2009, 09:24 PM
what?

RockThe40oz
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Wait how do shows go?
Oi Oi Oi! Punk rock get drunk ANARCHY IN THE KKK!

EDIT: New band name idea...

GoodCharloteSux
08-25-2009, 09:45 PM
I was at the jersey show in 05 and it sounds like someone just isnt an offspring fan. Because I remember just a crap load of crowd surfing kids and a pretty mediocre crowd.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-25-2009, 09:52 PM
Oi Oi Oi! Punk rock get drunk ANARCHY IN THE KKK!

EDIT: New band name idea...

Steve lets get drunk already this is bullshit.

iwannabesedated
08-26-2009, 04:24 PM
I like The Offspring. They write catchy songs. Ok, they haven't released anything particularly noteworthy since Americana, but the albums prior were all solid and Smash is one of the best pop-punk albums ever. Another band that gets thrown to the dogs because they're popular. That said, Splinter was a pretty bad album...

Overall? Yeah. It was pretty bad. But (Can't Get My) Head Around You was a really good song. Essentially, they're off and on pretty hard. Smash was amazing, Americana was amazing, Conspiracy of One was pretty good, the rest were pretty average.

goingnowhere21
08-26-2009, 04:50 PM
I saw them for the first time this summer, at Summerfest here. It was an amazing show, and 2nd row seats too.

I'm actually surprised that a good amount of people think they suck. I find them [somewhat] unique, and have their own kind of sound. After the show, I only got into them more, and they have some seriously catchy music. They've gotten a bit more pop in R&F, R&G, but I still think it's a good album.

iwannabesedated
08-26-2009, 04:54 PM
It seems interesting to me, how I can watch a top 100 bands/songs/albums of the 90s and not see Offspring mentioned once. Smash is the best selling independant album of all time, they were probably the first US punk band to have a #1 hit too. But they get zero respect from anyone.
I too, saw them in concert, and there were a lot of pretty hardcore punk fans having a great time. Never hear from them here....

BR0KENHEARTED
08-27-2009, 08:09 PM
You don't know anything you live in Ohio.

iwannabesedated
08-27-2009, 09:20 PM
You don't know anything you live in Ohio.

You have no idea how true that is.

RockThe40oz
08-27-2009, 09:31 PM
O-H-I-O I don't wanna f*ckin go!

Rimfrost
08-28-2009, 06:36 AM
i like smash from this band, i like it alot. But their newer albums never really did anything for me. A mixture of ok songs, and annyoing radio hits like "pretty fly" and "original prankster"
But smash is defineately my favourite pop punk album alongside Greend days dookie

Run Erratic
08-28-2009, 07:38 AM
The Offspring suffered the same fate as green day
-started out amazing, sold out, lost their edge, turned crap!!

thats the way it, thats the way it goes....

jakesmellspoo
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM
some people in the pit are trying to say billie joe has a unique voice...

back on topic, i just heard what i assumed to be an older dropkick murphys album recently and it sounded a hell of a lot like dexter holland was singing. anyone here know what i'm talking about?

werty22
08-28-2009, 06:44 PM

thats the way it, thats the way it goes....
Yeah, Green Day used to be sooo edgy...

SlipknotRule93
09-04-2009, 07:10 AM
The Offspring used to be my favourite band :D

Their first four albums are brilliant. They started to get too commercial after Pretty Fly though. Still good music though.

Run Erratic
09-04-2009, 07:42 AM
Yeah, Green Day used to be sooo edgy...

due to the fact you were born in '91 and green day released their first album in '89 you wont remember green day before they turned crap.

plus i didnt suggest that green day were 'edgy'

take your sarcasm elsewere.

werty22
09-04-2009, 10:30 AM
due to the fact you were born in '91 and green day released their first album in '89 you wont remember green day before they turned crap.
You were born in 1986. I'm impressed that you were so aware of the punk scene in that region when you were 3-5 years old, especially considering you're English.

plus i didnt suggest that green day were 'edgy'
o my bad, I thought this implied that they had an edge at some point, thus making them edgy.
take your sarcasm elsewere.
I'll be sarcastic wherever I want.

lavazza
09-04-2009, 11:50 AM

You should change your sig to "Until they die", since I think thatīll be sooner

Run Erratic
09-04-2009, 12:10 PM
You were born in 1986. I'm impressed that you were so aware of the punk scene in that region when you were 3-5 years old, especially considering you're English.

o my bad, I thought this implied that they had an edge at some point, thus making them edgy.

I'll be sarcastic wherever I want.

HA! shes a fiesty one!!

well noted on the edgy thing! that'll teach me to read my own posts!!

as for the age thing, i didnt mean i was aware of green day at the age of 3-5, what i actually meant was i was aware of them before they turned crap!!

iwannabesedated
09-04-2009, 03:46 PM
I don't know if we could say Green Day never had an edge. You remember all the crap they went through when they released American Idiot?

People were saying "They hate America" and "The song is Un-American" and a lot of people (all of them republicans) got really upset. Even recently they couldn't sell their album at Wal Mart because they wouldn't edit it for them.

neidnarb11890
09-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Green Day were never edgy, they were always writing pop punk songs. The only difference is that the early stuff had lower production quality, so maybe it sounded rawer.

As far as attitude goes, I think you could make a good argument that they are still a bit edgy, what with their more overt political expressions and refusing to buddy up with Wal-Mart, etc., etc. Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm not saying that Green Day are on par with Dead Kennedys or Fugazi, but all that is more than some bands could say.

All in all, they're not punk and never were edgy.

ingames
09-05-2009, 04:05 PM
So let me get some things straight; punk rockers hate the Offspring and Green Day?? :S :S
Can someone please explain why the **** please?

werty22
09-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Because their music is quite poppy and many people consider them to have "sold out" because they're on major record labels.

I like Green Day and I'm indifferent about the Offspring. But I'm not a "punk rocker" because that's retarded.

iwannabesedated
09-05-2009, 06:26 PM
So let me get some things straight; punk rockers hate the Offspring and Green Day?? :S :S
Can someone please explain why the **** please?

Apparently music isn't good if you're having a good time listening to it. That's about all I can draw from it.

neidnarb11890
09-05-2009, 07:14 PM
Because their music is quite poppy and many people consider them to have "sold out" because they're on major record labels.

I like Green Day and I'm indifferent about the Offspring. But I'm not a "punk rocker" because that's retarded.
I agree with werty. Except I am a punk rocker.

SKAtastic7770
09-05-2009, 08:21 PM
I don't know if we could say Green Day never had an edge. You remember all the crap they went through when they released American Idiot?

People were saying "They hate America" and "The song is Un-American" and a lot of people (all of them republicans) got really upset. Even recently they couldn't sell their album at Wal Mart because they wouldn't edit it for them.
I find it interesting that a band thats a bit leftist gets crap from everyone, when there are many more punk bands saying way worse things about america. I would assume it has to do with the fact that green day is on a major label. Anyway as to whether or not Green Day is punk, I'd say its been pretty well established that they are pop punk, which I believe there is another board for. That doesn't inherently mean that they sound bad, but they are not punk. "But the have songs with a political message" so does every classic rock and glam metal band. Most bands have songs about politics,pretty girls, sex, and weed, covering any one of those topics is not all that determines a bands genre.

axeslash
09-05-2009, 11:11 PM
Lemme end this thread.

Green Day sucks.

They were never edgy.

Only 13 year old girls think they are punk.

jakesmellspoo
09-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Lemme end this thread.

Green Day sucks.

They were never edgy.

Only 13 year old girls think they are punk.

:cheers:

Adam_Harrison9
09-06-2009, 08:58 AM
Insomiac was a cracking album. No matter what anyone says about Green Day (their new stuff is sub-standard) that was a classic.