Anyone still listen to Screeching Weasel?

PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still listen to Screeching Weasel?

SeanX3187
08-17-2009, 09:55 PM
i've been a weasel fan since about '97 (i'm only 16, can't really get too much farther back than that, haha) but i noticed that most punk fans these days don't even know who they are.
i think they're amazing and should be made known again to all deprived punx.

I_Pwn
08-17-2009, 09:57 PM
Screeching Weasel are pretty popular on this forum.

SeanX3187
08-17-2009, 09:58 PM
are they really?
i've seen them mentioned maybe once or twice.
i guess i'm just not reading the right threads.

werty22
08-17-2009, 10:01 PM
I don't think they're as popular here as they used to be, but I'm sure everyone has heard of them. There are many threads about them.

I don't like them.

charliezard!
08-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Yeah, they're very well known. That doesn't mean everyone likes em though.
I like Screeching Weasel up to Wiggle.

I_Pwn
08-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Yeah, they're very well known. That doesn't mean everyone likes em though.
I like Screeching Weasel up to Wiggle.

This is crazy talk! Anthem for a New Tomorrow and How to Make Enemies and Irritate People are both great.

GSD N3
08-17-2009, 10:09 PM
Screeching Weasel is pretty awesome. Though I prefer The Misfits or Minor Threat (btw, nice avatar I_Pwn)

but Rancid is probably higher up on my list... The basslines are f***ing awesome.

werty22
08-17-2009, 10:11 PM
Screeching Weasel is pretty awesome. Though I prefer The Misfits or Minor Threat (btw, nice avatar I_Pwn)

but Rancid is probably higher up on my list... The basslines are f***ing awesome.
I don't know why you would compare Screeching Weasel, The Misfits, Minor Threat, and Rancid.

Iluvpowerchords
08-17-2009, 10:12 PM
YOU TELL US OUR FUTURE'S AT STAKE
WELL WE'RE GONNA SLAM DANCE ON YER GRAVE
CUZ WE DON'T GIVE A SHIT ABOUT TOMORROW

:D

The kill the musicians version of that song is about as good as pop punk gets.

I don't listen to the Weasel a whole lot anymore though.

SeanX3187
08-17-2009, 10:18 PM
I don't think they're as popular here as they used to be, but I'm sure everyone has heard of them. There are many threads about them.

I don't like them.
why don't you like them?
they were punk, but made it just a little more upbeat than the norm of that era, and pretty much started pop punk (but as we all know, that took a turn for the worse)

BostonLacrosse
08-17-2009, 10:38 PM
i love me some weasel

charliezard!
08-17-2009, 10:39 PM
why don't you like them?
they were punk, but made it just a little more upbeat than the norm of that era, and pretty much started pop punk (but as we all know, that took a turn for the worse)

http://jgtwo.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/ramonesforever.jpg
http://www.mychemicaltoilet.com/buzzcocks.jpg

SeanX3187
08-17-2009, 10:41 PM
http://jgtwo.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/ramonesforever.jpg
http://www.mychemicaltoilet.com/buzzcocks.jpg
i said pretty much, it wasn't a definitive statement.
and the ramones considered themselves Rock N Roll, not punk, even though that's what i consider them to be.

charliezard!
08-17-2009, 10:45 PM
Well I wouldn't say "pretty much" either, since SW's first full-length was 11 years after The Ramones' s/t.
But it doesn't matter. I like really SW. I don't think anyone is complaining that they aren't punx enough. I really wanted to see them play here in Austin a few weeks ago, but I couldn't afford it.

BostonLacrosse
08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Well I wouldn't say "pretty much" either, since SW's first full-length was 11 years after The Ramones' s/t.
But it doesn't matter. I like really SW. I don't think anyone is complaining that they aren't punx enough. I really wanted to see them play here in Austin a few weeks ago, but I couldn't afford it.

i went to an Bomb the music industry where i became friends two lovely lady lady punks who went to that show

pinheadslts75
08-17-2009, 10:47 PM
Generally everything past their first album and their last two is really good ****.

I'm curious to hear the new Riverdales album myself.

SeanX3187
08-17-2009, 10:49 PM
i heard about that tour, but i didn't find out any dates so i'm not sure if they were/will be around here.

werty22
08-17-2009, 10:59 PM
why don't you like them?
I listened to them for a while and whenever I got one of their songs stuck in my head it was just annoying. Also, I don't like the vocals or the tones of the instruments, or anything else about them, really. It's not like I hate them or anything, I just don't like them. I have several more reasons, but there's no accounting for taste.

SeanX3187
08-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I listened to them for a while and whenever I got one of their songs stuck in my head it was just annoying. Also, I don't like the vocals or the tones of the instruments, or anything else about them, really. It's not like I hate them or anything, I just don't like them. I have several more reasons, but there's no accounting for taste.
that's understandable.

soph_bassist!
08-18-2009, 05:08 AM
My old RE/Citizenship teacher likes Screeching Weasel.

neidnarb11890
08-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Screeching Weasel are all right, but I prefer The Queers.

lavazza
08-18-2009, 08:18 AM
Screeching Weasel arenŽt so well known in Europe......I can still say I listened to them and they were one of the better pop punk bands

Jx210
08-18-2009, 08:28 AM
I just got their first album about a month ago and I still can't put it down. There are some not so good songs, but for like what, 40 tracks? There's a really good percentage of nice ones.I don't know why so many people hate it, maybe because they're used to SW as a pop-punk band, hearing a hardcore version isn't the same. You can really hear their 80's punk influences. Murder In The Brady House is pretty cool.. I think My Song might be one of my favorite SW songs ever though. I might be the only person who likes it though.

I think Boogadax3 is their best though, Bark is pretty close, MBH after that.. Anthem is hit and miss, and I lose interest going through Teen Punks. I'll Stop The Rain is pretty gnarly though.

axeslash
08-18-2009, 09:20 AM
Jesus titty-fucking Christ what the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Why is it that 90% of threads on bands start with "I like (band) and I don't think enough people like (band.) Now let's all discuss (band) since I don't have anything interesting to say on the subject other than 'I like (band.)'"

The lack of originality is so sickening that I feel it necessary to post bold-font curse words.

FUCKJARS

Rancid Ivy
08-18-2009, 02:37 PM
I like Screeching Weasel, but not as much As my friend, who has a frkn tattoo (of their logo) on his back.

SeanX3187
08-18-2009, 03:52 PM
Jesus titty-fucking Christ what the hell is wrong with kids these days?

Why is it that 90% of threads on bands start with "I like (band) and I don't think enough people like (band.) Now let's all discuss (band) since I don't have anything interesting to say on the subject other than 'I like (band.)'"

The lack of originality is so sickening that I feel it necessary to post bold-font curse words.

FUCKJARS
i know plenty about weasel, don't question my knowledge...
just wanted to hear others opinions.

StreetLight3989
08-18-2009, 04:42 PM
They're ok, I never could really get into them though and I'm a big pop punk fan.

GSD N3
08-18-2009, 08:16 PM
I don't know why you would compare Screeching Weasel, The Misfits, Minor Threat, and Rancid.

^They're my four favorite punk bands.

But you can give me any punk, and I'll like it.

werty22
08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
^They're my four favorite punk bands.
They still aren't relevant, but OK.

But you can give me any punk, and I'll like it.
I seriously doubt that's true.

Captain Insano
08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
Screeching Weasel is one of my fav's.

I had the Boogada cover as my avatar for a very long time. But have since changed it to the Milo goes to College cover......

Meh....

SeanX3187
08-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Descendents... what an amazing band.

RockThe40oz
08-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Screeching Weasel is one of my fav's.

I had the Boogada cover as my avatar for a very long time. But have since changed it to the Milo goes to College cover......

Meh....
Cool story, Hansel

axeslash
08-19-2009, 12:56 AM
But you can give me any punk, and I'll like it.You're just begging to listen to some Charles Bronson.

captain_jack
08-19-2009, 02:05 PM
Screeching Weasel are one of my favorites. "My Right" is one of my favorite songs, and Boogadaboogadaboogada is probably one of my top five favorite albums.

RockThe40oz
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
You're just begging to listen to some Charles Bronson.
mmmmmm.. Charles Bronson...

SeanX3187
08-19-2009, 06:49 PM
although powerviolence and thrashcore are derived from hardcore punk, i don't really consider charles bronson to be punk. they're much too metal sounding for me to call them punk.
i guess that's why there are genres like powerviolence...

werty22
08-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Powerviolence seems closer to punk than metal to me.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-19-2009, 06:57 PM
Blast beat.

SeanX3187
08-19-2009, 07:16 PM
Powerviolence seems closer to punk than metal to me.
hmm.. i'm just not big on the real hardcore punk bands (casualties, black flag, bad brains, minor threat, bands like that, are about as hardcore [if you could call it that] as i'll get) so anything that gets really heavy sounds like metal to me.

werty22
08-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm not a big powerviolence fan or anything, but Charles Bronson doesn't really sound heavy to me. I guess that's just because IMO slower, more dynamic music tends to sound heavier. Some Black Sabbath songs, for example, sounds heavier than most death metal to me, but I know most people would disagree with me on that. Maybe more importantly, most styles of metal tend to have much longer songs and fancy musicianship.

SeanX3187
08-19-2009, 09:01 PM
well heavy to me would be too much distortion and lots of screaming/yelling.
so by metal, i guess i meant like, death core, as opposed to general metal, which can sound much different.

GSD N3
08-19-2009, 11:53 PM
haha. I think it was actually you people's avatars that got me on the subject, and yeah, I will probably like any punk you give me, as long as it's actually punk. not random subgenres that are debatable whether or not they're closer to punk or metal.

charliezard!
08-20-2009, 12:31 AM
haha. I think it was actually you people's avatars that got me on the subject, and yeah, I will probably like any punk you give me, as long as it's actually punk. not random subgenres that are debatable whether or not they're closer to punk or metal.

http://www.myspace.com/blanks77

lavazza
08-20-2009, 04:51 AM
hmm.. i'm just not big on the real hardcore punk bands (casualties, black flag, bad brains, minor threat, bands like that, are about as hardcore [if you could call it that] as i'll get) so anything that gets really heavy sounds like metal to me.

I think Powerviolence is a subgenre of Crust and Crust evolved out of Doom Metal and Punk in the 80s. Therefore a certain metal influence is natural, but nowadays all the Crust bands IŽve heard of donŽt have this metal sound bands like Discharge still had, furthermore I doubt that they sing about Dragons and one-legged virgins.
Oh and Casualties are deffinitely no hardcore, not by definition and not by sound etc.

SeanX3187
08-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Oh and Casualties are deffinitely no hardcore, not by definition and not by sound etc.
the Casualties have been classified as Hardcore Punk everywhere i've seen them.

RockThe40oz
08-20-2009, 07:22 AM
Street punk, brah... badddddd street punk.

lavazza
08-20-2009, 07:57 AM

though I try not to be a genre fascist, I really cannot see anything in the lyrics or the music of The Casualties that sounds like hardcore

SeanX3187
08-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Street punk, brah... badddddd street punk.
not a casualties fan?

Slappydappy
08-20-2009, 03:02 PM
Speed of Mutation = best song evar

SeanX3187
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
i'm more into older sw, but their newer stuff is good too.
i think if i had to pick favorites, they'd be my right, hey suburbia, jeannie's got a problem with her uterus, and the first day of summer.

werty22
08-20-2009, 05:09 PM
not a casualties fan?
Stick around and you'll find that there are very few Casualties fans here.

SeanX3187
08-20-2009, 06:19 PM
well i've never been huge on them, in fact, i didn't like them at all until about 2 years ago i saw them in new york and it was a great show.
and afterward, i talked to them for a half hour or so and they're all really cool dudes.

Jx210
08-21-2009, 06:56 AM
I forget what about a page of pointless genre arguing has to do with Screeching Weasel.

whyvern
08-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Screeching Weasel arenŽt so well known in Europe......I can still say I listened to them and they were one of the better pop punk bands

Dude, you gotta go to a show in Italy. EVERYONE here loves Screeching Weasel... I'd say more than THE QUEERS.

SeanX3187
08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
Dude, you gotta go to a show in Italy. EVERYONE here loves Screeching Weasel... I'd say more than THE QUEERS.
weasel liked more than the queers?
that's cool. i don't think i have a preference because the queers are amazing, and so are sw IMO.

lavazza
08-22-2009, 06:34 AM

Italians have to look for alternatives, otherwise they just have Los Fastidios and they are rather boring :p:

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Has anyone who hates on the Casualties here ever seen the Casualties? Or just like to hate to be a hater. In which case I do love haters but really guys ...

whyvern
08-22-2009, 06:39 PM
Has anyone who hates on the Casualties here ever seen the Casualties? Or just like to hate to be a hater. In which case I do love haters but really guys ...

I've seen them. They suck, and I still hate them.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 06:43 PM
Thats rough.

I've always thought the Casualties were a fun band live. You really can't take any band with such high standards. They have a big name and for a reason. And in my opinion they sound great live especially in a closed venue, unlike Warped Tour which most people only see them at.

Lie to me and tell me if you're hanging out with buddies kickin back some if a Casualties song comes on you're going to throw a bitch fit and say turn this crap off its garbage.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 06:44 PM
We might be off topic.

RockThe40oz
08-22-2009, 06:49 PM
I've seen them. They suck, and I still hate them.
Same here

whyvern
08-22-2009, 07:15 PM
Thats rough.

I've always thought the Casualties were a fun band live. You really can't take any band with such high standards. They have a big name and for a reason. And in my opinion they sound great live especially in a closed venue, unlike Warped Tour which most people only see them at.

Lie to me and tell me if you're hanging out with buddies kickin back some if a Casualties song comes on you're going to throw a bitch fit and say turn this crap off its garbage.

I don't ever see a point where I'm hanging out with my friends and THE CASUALTIES just happen to come on the stereo. Most of my friends aren't into the harder side of punk. Especially if it was made after 1987... sure there's a few exceptions L'AMICO DI MARTUCCI and HOLY **** but I just don't see anyone secretly squeezing THE CASUALTIES onto a mixtape. That being said, I think we'd still make fun of it and ridicule whoever put it on a mixtape.

I've seen a ton of bands that should be waaay bigger than THE CASUALTIES. Take THE BANANAS for instance (not just because I'm listening to them now, but because they rule), there's a band that every single punk kid should know in love. From people who have been into punk for decades to kids who are just now starting out listening to underground punk. They've got a great sound, interesting lyrics and come together as a band way better than THE CASUALTIES. I think THE STUN GUNS and ALLERGIC TO BULL**** are in that department too.

By the way, I saw THE CASUALTIES at a small ass club in San Antonio, TX, and it sounded like ****... you can have fancy PA work up yer ass but it won't write good songs for you. VITAMIN X played there a few days before... VITAMIN X was hands down the better band.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Why do punx go to Casualties shows?

whyvern
08-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Because They Have Aids!

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 07:21 PM
I just don't seem to know why people hate any kind of music especially a punk band if you're into punk. If its not your thing ignore it. I'm not a 'Casualties fan.' But I don't go out of my way every chance I get when the Casualties are brought up to bash them.

Unless its Blink 182 that is one band I really can't get what people see in them. I really don't.

Jx210
08-22-2009, 07:25 PM
Why the **** aren't we talking about Screeching Weasel? Wtf? Start a "Anyone still listen to The Casualties?" thread.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Relax.

whyvern
08-22-2009, 07:30 PM
Because no one ever stopped listening to SCREECHING WEASEL.

I hate the music THE CASUALTIES make, man... and I hate their attitude too. It's lame/rockstar as ****. And it just seems like the antithesis of punk to me.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 07:32 PM
The only way I could really advocate hating on bands is if you know them/have met them personally. Its just music dew.

Given that I have stories about popular punk bands but they should not be told. This is how rumors start. Ssshhhhhhhhhhh

whyvern
08-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I've met them before. I have alot of friends involved in the hardcore/punk scene in NYC. I know enough about the to sufficiently say they're dicks and are only into making money off of the DIY punk scene.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 07:35 PM
Because no one ever stopped listening to SCREECHING WEASEL.

I hate the music THE CASUALTIES make, man... and I hate their attitude too. It's lame/rockstar as ****. And it just seems like the antithesis of punk to me.

While it might not be ''thee most punx' music out there when the Casualties do come in town I have always found it fun to go with friends just to hang out. And there is a looooot of punx that go to Casualties shows. Its good tunes for some folk that doesn't mean the fans are less punk or however you want to word it. They do entertain quite a few people believe it or not. And if I'm not wrong a huge portion of the younger audience in music get into the Casualties when first flirting with punk. Which makes a gateway into better punk bands. Which in my opinion isn't a bad thing.

werty22
08-22-2009, 08:02 PM
Unless its Blink 182 that is one band I really can't get what people see in them. I really don't.
Because they have catchy songs. I don't like them, but that's the reason so many people do.

I think the Casualties are funny.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 09:16 PM
The Casualties fucking suck.

Cliche, but Hey Suburbia is probably the best SW song. It's so good.

Jx210
08-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Relax.

No, I'm not going to relax because it's bull ****. This used to be one of the only sites that I've visited that had a decent punk corner not overrun with either mainstream pop fans or elitist ass holes. Now all the people part of the little 'forum cliques' can snap their fingers and say, "This is getting off topic. Discuss (Thread Title)", but **** everyone else. It's just ****ing ridiculous.

I rarely post as it is because of all the 12 year old ***s that always seem to find their way around. I read through the threads every now and then and in between the decent ones are all these little **** ones where some regulars get into this mob-mentality and attack something they don't like or they just change the ****ing topic, but god forbid someone talk about something else in one of their threads...

And why the **** do bands like The Casualties keep being brought up at all? Everyone ****ing hates them and the posts basically say the same **** every time anyways with minute variations. Jesus ****ing christ...

whyvern
08-22-2009, 09:26 PM
^dude, have you ever read posts here?

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 09:37 PM
No, I'm not going to relax because it's bull ****. This used to be one of the only sites that I've visited that had a decent punk corner not overrun with either mainstream pop fans or elitist ass holes. Now all the people part of the little 'forum cliques' can snap their fingers and say, "This is getting off topic. Discuss (Thread Title)", but **** everyone else. It's just ****ing ridiculous.

I rarely post as it is because of all the 12 year old ***s that always seem to find their way around. I read through the threads every now and then and in between the decent ones are all these little **** ones where some regulars get into this mob-mentality and attack something they don't like or they just change the ****ing topic, but god forbid someone talk about something else in one of their threads...

And why the **** do bands like The Casualties keep being brought up at all? Everyone ****ing hates them and the posts basically say the same **** every time anyways with minute variations. Jesus ****ing christ...

The Casualties suck and you suck.

GSD N3
08-22-2009, 09:38 PM
OK, whoever it was that sent me to the Blanks '77 page failed... Seriously, I've already heard them, and they're not that bad, in my opinion, at least.

And it doesn't really matter if the thread is titled with Screeching Weasel, or Casualties, people are gonna be hating either way. Personally, as I've said in my other posts, I like straight up punk. The Casualties aren't that bad to deserve this much hate. They're actually pretty good.

Oh, and just for fun, have a link:
http://www.myspace.com/theeffinmeatheads

Jx210
08-22-2009, 09:38 PM
I don't ****ing like the Casualties. Nobody likes the ****ing Casualties it's been ****ing established. I can't stand them, but that doesn't mean I'm going to bring the ****ers up unneccecarily if the threads called "Favorite Crass Songs".

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 09:48 PM
The punk forum takes threads that are boring and unimaginative and makes them great.

I mean really the main post of this thread was basically "lol i liek Screeching Weasel wut aboot u guise?"

There are only maybe three responses to that question and none of them are particularly fun or enlightening so it is only a matter of time before the thread evolves into something else.

whyvern
08-22-2009, 09:49 PM
yeah, welcome to the internet asshole.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I don't ****ing like the Casualties. Nobody likes the ****ing Casualties it's been ****ing established. I can't stand them, but that doesn't mean I'm going to bring the ****ers up unneccecarily if the threads called "Favorite Crass Songs".

If you read the thread, you'll see that the conversation slowly progressed before it turned into a Casualties discussion. Can you not follow a conversation? Jesus. It's not like someone, in the middle of SW related posting, just said "Hay guyz. Casualties suck. Amirite?"

You're a fucking idiot.

And learn how to uncensor your naughty words. Am I supposed to just assume what you're saying???? I can't follow any of it.

SeanX3187
08-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I mean really the main post of this thread was basically "lol i liek Screeching Weasel wut aboot u guise?"
not cool dude.
i can spell better than a 12 year old.
and i'm not really a necroposter so i didn't know there was already a weasel thread.
had i known that, i would have posted there, but i didn't so i made one.
i just wanted to know people's opinions on them, to get a conversation going.
and i've used forums enough to know that threads always change topics to something ridiculous and i wanted to check that out too.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 11:33 PM
Ha. Dude I didn't mean to insult you or yer intelligence anything. There was nothing wrong with this thread or the post you wrote to start.

I just spelled it that way for the lulz.

SeanX3187
08-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Ha. Dude I didn't mean to insult you or yer intelligence anything. There was nothing wrong with this thread or the post you wrote to start.

I just spelled it that way for the lulz.
haha it's cool.
no worries

RockThe40oz
08-23-2009, 02:47 AM
*Rant*
Take a chill pill, dewd

lavazza
08-23-2009, 07:21 AM
YouŽre all completely stupid.....Jx210 youŽre offtopic now as well, you even turned out of music.........I can listen to The Casualties without hate and enjoy it from time to time, though the lyrics are even rather stupid for my ears.

axeslash
08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
I leave the thread for a few days and this is what happens?

People calling Charles Bronson metal and then debating the punkness of powerviolence?
ANOTHER tirade about the Casualties?

The first one I can easily blame on the n00bs, but for the love of Science give the Casualties bashing a fucking break. Seriously. I'm not even saying this with a hint of sarcasm or humor. You people need to move the fuck on. You guys don't even make clever jokes. It's just "the casualties suck" in so many words. Back then we called them "The Casual Tees" and mocked the lyrics. The jokes not funny but you guys don't move on.

CUNT FUCKING BUTTASS

RockThe40oz
08-23-2009, 11:04 AM
I blame it on:Has anyone who hates on the Casualties here ever seen the Casualties? Or just like to hate to be a hater. In which case I do love haters but really guys ...
We were so close to being back on track!

werty22
08-23-2009, 11:45 AM
l WANNA STAB THE CASUALTIES WITH A HOT FIRE POKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 03:01 PM

Go to a Casualties show and tell me no one likes them. Where the fuck did you come from?

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I blame it on:
We were so close to being back on track!

Maybe it was my fault ;[

But I did feel like I had to defend them as the only person on this forum who will cuz I do get tired of the stupid bashing on them that does get old.