John McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra Thread!

PDA

View Full Version : John McLaughlin/Mahavishnu Orchestra Thread!

Kartman
08-18-2009, 02:36 PM
As a guitar player and avid UGer of four years, I've been shocked to find that there is no thread on perhaps the greatest fusion guitarist of the 20th and 21st centuries.

John McLaughlin (of Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis quintet) has changed the way I look at the guitar.

From sonic flurries of 16th notes from Mahavishnu or the subtle yet effective comping on Miles Davis's Right Off, John is my new guitar hero. Let's discuss the legend here.

First of all, what's your favorite Maha album and why? I'm going with Vision of the Emerald Beyond, solely for the first 5 songs of the album.

Gris-Gris-Man
08-18-2009, 02:47 PM
i made a John McLaughlin thread awhile ago, but no one posted in it, so it just dropped off the face of the earth.

favorite Mahavishnu album would have to be "Birds of Fire"...the title track has one of the most menacing arpeggios i've ever heard. the song "Hope" has so much emotion in it, and its one of my favorite songs to play. other songs on the album that amaze me are "Sanctuary" "One Word" and "Open Country Joy". its just a great album

i do own all the maha albums up to Inner Worlds besides Between Nothingness and Eternity...which im always on the lookout for.

wolflen
08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
inner mounting flame....

saw them live at a very small club...three nights in a row....unreal...

play well

wolf

Zeds.Ded
08-18-2009, 05:47 PM
did Billy Cobham play with the Mahavishnu?

Kartman
08-18-2009, 07:18 PM
^Yes he did, on their first two albums.

Axegrinder#9
08-19-2009, 01:23 AM
Every morning that I get out of bed - I think to myself, "What would John McLaughlin do?".

keeps it real.

MRavioli
08-19-2009, 10:45 AM
I was JUST listening to Awaken off of the Inner Mounting Flame..then it switched to Pantera. Needless to say, the transition kind of sucked.

I only have the Inner Mounting Flame, but I'll probably get Birds of Fire in a while. My favorite track is probably Noonward Race.

ohhey9040
08-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Favorite Maha would be The Inner Mounting Flame, although Between Nothingness and Eternity is pretty good as well. That being said, I have yet to get Birds of Fire, so I'll be doing that before too long. But my favorite McLaughlin album (not counting the Miles stuff) would probably be My Goal's Beyond, with Extrapolation a close second. Fantastic albums they are.

Hendrix_fan_14
08-23-2009, 01:56 AM
I've got Birds of Fire on vinyl which is an amazing album.

Zeds.Ded
08-23-2009, 07:32 AM
i just got Visions of an emerald beyond, ive never listened to them before and only decided to check them out because of this thread and the fact that i also listen to Billy Cobham, thanks for introducing them to me, they are bloody brilliant!

Zomby Woof
08-23-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh Man... I loved seeing him and Chick Corea with the Five Peice Band, both him and Chick are quite amazing... not to mention the other guys they were playing with.

Axegrinder#9
08-24-2009, 05:02 AM
Oh Man... I loved seeing him and Chick Corea with the Five Peice Band, both him and Chick are quite amazing... not to mention the other guys they were playing with.

jealous! I have the live album - it's kick ass.

Zomby Woof
08-24-2009, 10:06 PM
jealous! I have the live album - it's kick ass.

Ya, on the live album Vinnie Coluiata is the drummer, but when we saw them, the drummer was this guy named Brian Blade, he's sick, he plays with like Wayne Shorter and a bunch of other people. But it was wierd, cause after we saw them, we bought that album, and it was sort of diffrent then the show we saw, I liked hearing Brian. Vinnie is also a kick-ass drummer though.

Axegrinder#9
08-25-2009, 04:14 AM
strange I was actually under the impression that the drummer was Gary Husband for the 5 peace band. but knowing JMc's past history with drummers, it's interesting that he chose Brian Blade to play with live (if that is truly the case), because he usually plays with powerhouse drummers (Cobham/Tony Williams/Dennis Chambers/Trilok Gurtu), and Brian Blade has more of a finessed and laidback vibe....

in any case, the 5 peace band has traditionally had a rotating cast, so it's not surprising.

Kartman
08-25-2009, 02:57 PM
i just got Visions of an emerald beyond, ive never listened to them before and only decided to check them out because of this thread and the fact that i also listen to Billy Cobham, thanks for introducing them to me, they are bloody brilliant!
:five:

I'm glad to have an impact on your listening. You should cite me when MTV is interviewing you about your eclectic music tastes ;)

Zeds.Ded
08-26-2009, 03:05 PM
noted, but im quite egotistical and will probably say i found them on lastfm or something :D

pangui
08-27-2009, 06:38 AM
strange I was actually under the impression that the drummer was Gary Husband for the 5 peace band. but knowing JMc's past history with drummers, it's interesting that he chose Brian Blade to play with live (if that is truly the case), because he usually plays with powerhouse drummers (Cobham/Tony Williams/Dennis Chambers/Trilok Gurtu), and Brian Blade has more of a finessed and laidback vibe....

in any case, the 5 peace band has traditionally had a rotating cast, so it's not surprising.

I saw them live with Blade, and I think he was a very intense drummer, just his playing is rooted more in the jazz vein compared to the other drummers you mentioned who are all best known for their fusion work (except for Tony Williams of course). But yeah, it's amazing after hearing the live CD with Vinnie how much difference the change of drummer made to the whole band's vibe.

Gris-Gris-Man
08-31-2009, 03:15 PM
what Miles albums do you guys enjoy that feature John?
Favorite for me is "On the Corner"...his licks in the first tune are quite one of a kind.

also anyone dig "Devotion"?

Dchild042
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Favorite for me is "On the Corner"...his licks in the first tune are quite one of a kind.

obviously Bitches Brew.

Axegrinder#9
09-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Tribute to Jack Johnson fo sho. JMc's guitar sounds like a dinosaur tripping on some heavy acid, when the music kicks in.

Also from that period, there's a rare EP, called "Les Catacombes" featuring JMc on guitar, Chick Corea on the Rhodes, dave holland on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums. I believe it was recorded in Paris. highly recommended!!

Kartman
09-06-2009, 04:17 AM
I really love anything from the Bitches Brew sessions... his solo on Miles Runs The Voodoo Down is grooving. However, I also love his solos in Right Off as well. It's incredible how his style between the two albums is so drastically different. One is very jazzy-fusion, one is pretty blues-based (Right Off).

sakura'sdarkest
09-06-2009, 05:51 PM
...I really enjoyed the Trio Of Doom album, haven't looked into his other stuff yet though.

Gris-Gris-Man
09-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Tribute to Jack Johnson fo sho. JMc's guitar sounds like a dinosaur tripping on some heavy acid, when the music kicks in.

Also from that period, there's a rare EP, called "Les Catacombes" featuring JMc on guitar, Chick Corea on the Rhodes, dave holland on bass, and Jack DeJohnette on drums. I believe it was recorded in Paris. highly recommended!!
ill have to try to find that! im always looking for other albums he could be on. yea and i agree his guitar sound is quite unique, dinosaur trippin on acid may be the best way to describe it.

I found "Live-Evil" for under 10 bucks! Jackpot right? John has some pretty sick licks on that album as well.

o yea, Shakti rules!

Axegrinder#9
09-11-2009, 05:47 AM
o yea, Shakti rules!

good deal on the Live Evil album.

Shakti - I would highly recommend trying to get your hands on some video footage. They have a couple of DVDs and I know there's hi-def video recordings of recent concerts floating around online. to see improvisation at that level... mighty shaet!

Alter-Bridge
09-14-2009, 08:15 PM
I've got the Inner Mounting Flame and it's excellent, to say the least. Has anyone heard the album with John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana? Is it worth getting?

ThinkThis
09-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I've got so much McLaughlin... IMF, BOF, and the Lost Trident Sessions. got some Shakti, some Trio of Doom, and some of his solo stuff.

It's hard to pick a fav

Gris-Gris-Man
09-15-2009, 05:29 PM
I've got the Inner Mounting Flame and it's excellent, to say the least. Has anyone heard the album with John McLaughlin and Carlos Santana? Is it worth getting?
yea LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER is the name of that collaboration, such an excellent album. the guitar work is awesome, McLaughlin smokes that album

Axegrinder#9
09-16-2009, 05:06 AM
yea LOVE DEVOTION SURRENDER is the name of that collaboration, such an excellent album. the guitar work is awesome, McLaughlin smokes that album

that album is pure gold. I love how during the intro to 'Trane's "Naima" both of them trem pick in unison to substitute for the long drawn notes that are part of the original version as recorded by Trane.

Gris-Gris-Man
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM
that album is pure gold. I love how during the intro to 'Trane's "Naima" both of them trem pick in unison to substitute for the long drawn notes that are part of the original version as recorded by Trane.
yea man they really captured the ambiance of coltrane, great emotion on that album

Gris-Gris-Man
09-26-2009, 02:36 PM
i don't mean to double post, but "Between Nothingness and Eternity" is a really amazing album. McLaughlin and Cobham are amazing on this recording.

O and the best part is when McLaughlin throws in the sunshine of your love riff at the 10:20 mark of "Dream"

Kartman
09-28-2009, 06:08 PM
^I've yet to get it. I'm really in love with Mahavishnu though, here's my order of favorite albums that I own:

1. Visions of the Emerald Beyond
2. Apocalypse
3. Birds of Fire
4. The Inner Mounting Flame

I'd really like to get BNaE and Inner Worlds, despite its negative reviews.

Axegrinder#9
09-29-2009, 08:20 AM
it's really unfortunate that there aren't really any good quality live material with the original Mahavishnu line-up. Moreover, from what little of their live stuff that I've seen MO seemed to struggle a bit to achieve a coherent sound during the live shows. JMc's gritty raw guitar sound, never seemed to translate as well live - and ended up sounding almost unpolished. Rick Laird and Jerry Goodman were always kinda inconsistent in the overall mix too.

I know there's a live Syracuse show from '73 or maybe '72 that I've been trying to get a hold of, but it's been kinda hard.

Gris-Gris-Man
09-30-2009, 03:05 PM
it's really unfortunate that there aren't really any good quality live material with the original Mahavishnu line-up. Moreover, from what little of their live stuff that I've seen MO seemed to struggle a bit to achieve a coherent sound during the live shows. JMc's gritty raw guitar sound, never seemed to translate as well live - and ended up sounding almost unpolished. Rick Laird and Jerry Goodman were always kinda inconsistent in the overall mix too.

I know there's a live Syracuse show from '73 or maybe '72 that I've been trying to get a hold of, but it's been kinda hard.
are you kidding me? you really don't dig Johns playing on Between Nothingness? i thought he sounded on top of his game, and practically out of this world.

the syracuse show that you speak of is the black and white one they have on youtube if i remember correctly. that was definitely one of the best performances i've seen/heard from MO. i wish that was on CD

Axegrinder#9
09-30-2009, 03:17 PM
are you kidding me? you really don't dig Johns playing on Between Nothingness? i thought he sounded on top of his game, and practically out of this world.

ah I actually forgot about that album. I was refering to some of the other soundboard mixes/bootlegs and videos that I've seen.

Between Nothingness and Eternity is definitely a great album fo sho. Anyway I wasn't talking so much about the quality of playing, more the general mix of sound and clarity. I can imagine they'd be a challenging band to mix well!

Gris-Gris-Man
10-01-2009, 12:00 AM
ah I actually forgot about that album. I was refering to some of the other soundboard mixes/bootlegs and videos that I've seen.

Between Nothingness and Eternity is definitely a great album fo sho. Anyway I wasn't talking so much about the quality of playing, more the general mix of sound and clarity. I can imagine they'd be a challenging band to mix well!
o ok man, yea i agree...they got a really wicked sound

RustyGold
10-05-2009, 05:14 AM
john mclaughlin is my favorite guitar player right now. a very interesting thing about him, that i find his playing is deeply simple, like how its organized. it has a certain elegance to it you know? unlike other guitar players it not, how should it put it 'vulgar.' very graceful. and he knows rhythm and he knows how to play 'against time' like the back of his hand. his phrasing is stretched out over many bars and is second to none. and what else it there to say, he plays pure blood-thirsty, harsh, delicate music, he can do it all

Axegrinder#9
10-05-2009, 09:45 AM
^ true true true.

HiImKindaNewAnd
10-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Mahavishnu...not for the faint-hearted. Favorite composition would have to be "One Word" because of the "conversation" between the guitar, keyboard, and violin.

Gris-Gris-Man
10-10-2009, 08:26 PM
does anyone know what footage is on the Mahavishnu DVD? is it the first or second group?

ive seen some stuff on youtube that has montreux footage, would that be it?

Deplorable
10-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Their releasing a DVD!!! Must have it, hope its the first lineup, not that I mind second but first would be amazing.

Gris-Gris-Man
10-12-2009, 11:07 AM
^I've yet to get it. I'm really in love with Mahavishnu though, here's my order of favorite albums that I own:

1. Visions of the Emerald Beyond
2. Apocalypse
3. Birds of Fire
4. The Inner Mounting Flame

I'd really like to get BNaE and Inner Worlds, despite its negative reviews.
definitely get BNaE....thats a superb album.

Inner Worlds is also pretty neat. im not the biggest fan of it but its got a bunch of tracks that are excellent.

Alter-Bridge
10-16-2009, 06:52 AM
john mclaughlin is my favorite guitar player right now. a very interesting thing about him, that i find his playing is deeply simple, like how its organized. it has a certain elegance to it you know? unlike other guitar players it not, how should it put it 'vulgar.' very graceful. and he knows rhythm and he knows how to play 'against time' like the back of his hand. his phrasing is stretched out over many bars and is second to none. and what else it there to say, he plays pure blood-thirsty, harsh, delicate music, he can do it all
I love how he was doing all of that stuff (and the crazy fast, almost modern metal-esque alternate picking) in the midst of the 70s when everyone was either a Clapton or Hendrix clone.

smartguyreviews
10-18-2009, 02:53 AM
Ya, on the live album Vinnie Coluiata is the drummer, but when we saw them, the drummer was this guy named Brian Blade, he's sick, he plays with like Wayne Shorter and a bunch of other people. But it was wierd, cause after we saw them, we bought that album, and it was sort of diffrent then the show we saw, I liked hearing Brian. Vinnie is also a kick-ass drummer though.
i saw that lineup too... pretty epic. if youre talking about mclaughlin, you have to mention the guitar trio too. the three are one combination that could only be the work of the almighty.
my favorite mahavishnu album's probably birds of fire - it got me into fusion and introduced me to mclaughlin (and all the other members)

Gris-Gris-Man
10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
finally got the mahavishnu dvd....a huge disappointment.

there are only two songs from the 1974 Mahavishnu group. those two are totally epic though.

the other disc is all from the 80's. overall its worth buying though

Deplorable
10-31-2009, 04:29 AM
finally got the mahavishnu dvd....a huge disappointment.

there are only two songs from the 1974 Mahavishnu group. those two are totally epic though.

the other disc is all from the 80's. overall its worth buying though

I'll probably get it then, but really what did you expect, not like they had many cameras back then :p:

Gris-Gris-Man
10-31-2009, 03:24 PM
I'll probably get it then, but really what did you expect, not like they had many cameras back then :p:
they have more footage of that concert on youtube than on the DVD....somethings wrong there :peace:

Deplorable
10-31-2009, 11:52 PM
they have more footage of that concert on youtube than on the DVD....somethings wrong there :peace:

Really? well that's silly.