screen printing

PDA

View Full Version : screen printing

drugfreeboy
08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
does anyone screen print in here? what kind of ink do you use? the kind i'm using fades. i do white ink on black shirts and the white fades to a grey almost. any tips?

mike2
08-18-2009, 03:51 PM
i used acrilic paints and it stayed pretty well...

badgerific
08-18-2009, 03:57 PM
I've only ever bothered with acrylics too, screen printing always seemed like too much effort to me and it seems to stay fairly well to.

RiotRiotUpstart
08-18-2009, 04:17 PM
Screen printing is for hipsters. Use spray paint over stencils.

DollSteak
08-18-2009, 04:26 PM
sorry, do you guys mean shirt printing? ^^" (have no idea of what screen printing means :()
The guy i usually ask for that use acrylics. they work good. :)

badgerific
08-18-2009, 04:32 PM
sorry, do you guys mean shirt printing? ^^" (have no idea of what screen printing means :()
The guy i usually ask for that use acrylics. they work good. :)

Yeah it's shirt (and other stuff) printing using light, screens and special ink which only colours the fabric where the light shines (or doesn't shine mabye, I don't know a great deal about it).

BostonLacrosse
08-18-2009, 04:37 PM
i just use stencils and acrylic paint, screen printing is way to expensive for me.

and to dollsteak screen printing is the process of using a screen(micromesh kind of thing) to help transfer ink on to other mediums. You blank out everything that you dont want to show up on the screen then spread paint over the screen and the paint will go through the screen on to what ever surface you are putting it on. Almost all shirts professionally made are done in some variation of screen printing. Im sure wikipedia could give you a better explanation though.

DollSteak
08-18-2009, 04:38 PM
ahh thank you :)
don't know specificly what kinda inks he uses for this type of printing... should ask him ^^

Rancid Ivy
08-18-2009, 04:47 PM
when I bought my super cheap chinese ugly ass copy of a fender jaguar, I didnt like the sunburst finish, so I used sandpaper to take it off, then I spray painted it black :)

I dunno if that counts.

Mack56
08-18-2009, 05:17 PM
when I bought my super cheap chinese ugly ass copy of a fender jaguar, I didnt like the sunburst finish, so I used sandpaper to take it off, then I spray painted it black :)

I dunno if that counts.

So you saw a guitar, and wanted to paint it black?

nice

drugfreeboy
08-18-2009, 05:35 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/xxxchrisxxx_photos/ink.jpg

this is what i use, but in white. i'm only screen printing shirts for my band. any other suggestions?

BostonLacrosse
08-18-2009, 07:55 PM
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i295/xxxchrisxxx_photos/ink.jpg

this is what i use, but in white. i'm only screen printing shirts for my band. any other suggestions?

http://www.stencilpunks.org/

charliezard!
08-18-2009, 08:17 PM
I just use stencils. I never figured out how to screen print. It seems more fun to make your own stencil anyway.

RizzoWashburn
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM

nice
Black power!

the strangler
08-18-2009, 09:03 PM
well screen printing is pretty much making a resuable stencile.

Jett Diamond
08-18-2009, 09:06 PM
Guess I better learn then, huh :liplick:

Anyways, I don't screen print. However, I have a story. My old best-friend dropped out of high-school in the third quarter of his senior year so that he could spend all day (instead of only half) smoking pot and having sex with his underage girlfriend. Then he got her pregnant. Now he is 20, a father with a 17 year old girlfriend, and works ridiculous hours screen printing t-shirts at a t-shirt factory.

Needless to say, screen-printing kills.

DollSteak
08-19-2009, 04:42 AM

Anyways, I don't screen print. However, I have a story. My old best-friend dropped out of high-school in the third quarter of his senior year so that he could spend all day (instead of only half) smoking pot and having sex with his underage girlfriend. Then he got her pregnant. Now he is 20, a father with a 17 year old girlfriend, and works ridiculous hours screen printing t-shirts at a t-shirt factory.

O.O you bet.

Rancid Ivy
08-19-2009, 08:44 AM
I agree with Charliezard, Spray paint over stencils!

neidnarb11890
08-19-2009, 12:33 PM

*-)?

drugfreeboy
08-19-2009, 02:44 PM
so is this the ink most everyone here uses?

BostonLacrosse
08-19-2009, 03:28 PM
so is this the ink most everyone here uses?

thats the ink i used when i learned how to screen print in highschool

BR0KENHEARTED
08-19-2009, 05:16 PM

nice

I see a red door and I want it painted black
No colors anymore I want them to turn blaaaaack!

RockThe40oz
08-19-2009, 06:21 PM
*-)?
.... *-)

the strangler
08-20-2009, 11:14 AM

He sounds like a real winner.

deveshelles
03-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Completely empty that you do not want to appear on the screen, then spread the paint on the screen and paint will pass through the screen surface that everything is put on. Almost all the shirts are professionally made of silk made ​​some changes.

BrianApocalypse
03-28-2011, 08:51 AM

I was going to post pretty much exactly this, so kudos to you my good man. :cheers:

DempseyPunk
03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
I use stencils, a paintbrush, and Basics waterproof acrylic paint

riderhelles
03-31-2011, 08:42 AM
Screen printing is a printing technique that uses a woven mesh to support a series of ink lock. attached stencil forms open areas of mesh that transfer ink or other printed materials that can be pressed through a sieve as a sharp-edged image onto a substrate.

molly bee
03-31-2011, 11:35 AM
to the threadstarter:

The ink you're using is water based ink. There aren't many differences between that and acrylic paint, except for the viscosity. Generally, water-based ink tends to be less opaque. You can try getting higher quality water based ink, and that may help with the issue.

There is another type that's more plastic based, and I think it's called plastisol ink. However, plastisol ink is pretty much professional grade only. You can only get it in large quantities, and while the results are fantastic, getting there is the hugest, most toxic pain in the ass.

Water based ink is nontoxic, but plastisol ink IS toxic. It doesn't come off with soap and water, only with special chemicals. You aren't supposed to use either the ink or the cleaner in a non-ventilated area, and you're probably not supposed to wash it down the sink because it'll cause some sort of a nuclear disaster. I tried to use it once and it was the biggest waste of time and money because I just didn't have the resources. Also, if you're doing it DIY, the plastisol ink will most likely clog and ruin your screen.

So, water based = easier, less toxic, cheaper. Plastisol = pain in the ass, toxic--generally you should only use plastisol if you have a screen printing studio and know what you're doing. For this reason, I stick with water based.

edit: Also sometimes with inks, when you first print the ink isn't bright, but once it dries and is heat set it starts to become brighter and more opaque. I did prints on black with yellow and once they were heat set they looked awesome.
check it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/oasiswonderwall/Photo948-1.jpg

drugfreeboy
08-20-2011, 12:43 AM
to the threadstarter:

The ink you're using is water based ink. There aren't many differences between that and acrylic paint, except for the viscosity. Generally, water-based ink tends to be less opaque. You can try getting higher quality water based ink, and that may help with the issue.

There is another type that's more plastic based, and I think it's called plastisol ink. However, plastisol ink is pretty much professional grade only. You can only get it in large quantities, and while the results are fantastic, getting there is the hugest, most toxic pain in the ass.

Water based ink is nontoxic, but plastisol ink IS toxic. It doesn't come off with soap and water, only with special chemicals. You aren't supposed to use either the ink or the cleaner in a non-ventilated area, and you're probably not supposed to wash it down the sink because it'll cause some sort of a nuclear disaster. I tried to use it once and it was the biggest waste of time and money because I just didn't have the resources. Also, if you're doing it DIY, the plastisol ink will most likely clog and ruin your screen.

So, water based = easier, less toxic, cheaper. Plastisol = pain in the ass, toxic--generally you should only use plastisol if you have a screen printing studio and know what you're doing. For this reason, I stick with water based.

edit: Also sometimes with inks, when you first print the ink isn't bright, but once it dries and is heat set it starts to become brighter and more opaque. I did prints on black with yellow and once they were heat set they looked awesome.
check it:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v507/oasiswonderwall/Photo948-1.jpg
holy shit! i thought this thread died 2 years ago lol. well since my last post i would like to update. i have my own press and am in the midst of getting the resources to start printing out of my apartment. now to correct you molly i would like to say basically everything is ok to go down the drain. its the clumpy shit like emulsion residue or some plastisol that gets in the drain and thats what causes the problem. secondly plastisol will never dry or clog your screen in order for that to happen it would have to reach 320degrees F for it to cure into the screen. waterbased drys/clogs in the screen.

but in the next few months if anyone wants bootleg shirts, shirts for you bandor whatnot, let me know. i'm your man.

dazarooney
01-10-2012, 07:51 AM
You should post some pictures of your work, it would be good to see it?