Is it just me, or do the old Disney movies have really good jazz?

PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me, or do the old Disney movies have really good jazz?

j-e-f-f-e-r-s
08-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Ok, so me and a couple of mates were pretty high last night, and decided to watch some old school Disney stuff. Just for a laugh, you understand. Away we go to Youtube, we type in Disney songs, sit back... and get blown away by what we see! Those old-school cartoons, which I'd relegated to the nostalgia filled memories of my childhood, have some of the grooviest, swingyest, coolest jazz tunes I've ever heard. 'Everybody Wants To Be A Cat', 'I Wanna Be Like You', 'O'Malley The Alley Cat', 'When I See An Elephant Fly', 'He's A Tramp'... It's crazy!

Now, I know that by saying this, I place my entire manhood on the line, but are there any other fans of the old Disney jazz tunes? And what the hell happened to Disney to make them start shovelling out ****e like the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus? Did Louis Prima go round personally beating all the higher-ups? Why can't they drop the candy-rock ****e and go back to making awesome amazing music??

blue_strat
08-19-2009, 09:07 AM
The music in Disney films is awesome.

I once watching Fantasia while stoned.

FUCK. ING. HELL.

Jackal58
08-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Because it is no longer the 1940's. Just imagine what was playing on the radio when Disney was putting that stuff out.

cam_sampbell
08-19-2009, 09:12 AM
One of the main reasons I watch Dumbo is because of the awesome music, aswell as the awesome cartooning (the pink elephant part is brilliant!)

But yeah, I do wish they'd go back to their old-style, but that's life I guess

blue_strat
08-19-2009, 09:14 AM
^ I suspect that everyone who made the old-style films is either retired or dead.

urik
08-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Not only Jazz. Old cartoons (not only disney but also very old Cartoon Network stuff) have a very heavy use of classical music.
William Tell is practically known because of cartoons nowadays.

Skin the Sun
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
The music in Disney films is awesome.

I once watching Fantasia while stoned.

FUCK. ING. HELL.

I think that's Symphonie Fantastique, but i might be wrong.

Jazzman91
08-22-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah, old films, mostly cartoon films have got quite good (jazz) music in it.

I must say, Disney haven't improved their music if you compare the old things to Miley Cyrus etc... ;)

Mack56
08-22-2009, 06:04 PM
Aristocats is still one of my favorite animated movies because of "everybody wants to be a cat".

:D

CarpUK
08-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Because it is no longer the 1940's. Just imagine what was playing on the radio when Disney was putting that stuff out.
Precisely... jazz in the days when it was there to fill dance floors, not just make quietly seated punters clap politely.

Jimmy94
08-23-2009, 02:02 PM
I wanna be like you is an awesome swing song