Joe Strummers birthday

PDA

View Full Version : Joe Strummers birthday

BR0KENHEARTED
08-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Around my parts we celebrate Joe Strummers birthday which is today. Basically drinking too many 40s to handle and listening to the Clash all day. And eventually everyone pouring out drinks 'for the homies' but to Joe everytime. Also some bars especially our punk bar are celebrating tonight and on Monday[don't know why].

Just wondering if we're the only ones who do celebrate this. If not did anyone else do anything?

RizzoWashburn
08-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Joe Strummer sucked anyways.

werty22
08-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Nah, that's stupid.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-21-2009, 11:26 PM
Guess we just like excuses to party out here.

werty22
08-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Moar lyke excuses to drink. It's not the same thing. Drinking parties are for squares. Cake and ice cream ftw.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-21-2009, 11:45 PM
You beat me to calling you a square. Square. I was gonna edit mine and put it in but I said fukkk it aye

David_Bowie=GOD
08-22-2009, 12:52 AM
Just sounds like an excuse to party to me.

Mack56
08-22-2009, 01:05 AM
Moar lyke excuses to drink. It's not the same thing. Drinking parties are for squares. Cake and ice cream ftw.

man, **** that ****. Pizza party, mother****er

RizzoWashburn
08-22-2009, 01:06 AM
Up da slumber parties! *-)

p o e
08-22-2009, 02:19 AM
Well, i've been stoned all week, does that count as a memorial?

*gently strums White Man In Hammersmith*

soph_bassist!
08-22-2009, 04:35 AM
Well, i've got a few friends over tonight for a BBQ & a drink, so i'm pretty sure we could celebrate a little more :D

lavazza
08-22-2009, 06:55 AM
Ill think about it after the practice today........maybe I can convince the people not to listen to Wolfmother again :)

skatinpunk
08-22-2009, 09:32 AM
nothing special. i will listen to the clash today. going to a record store, see if i can find any clash vinyl

dookie_dude_
08-22-2009, 03:48 PM
lance hahn deserves a party.

SeanX3187
08-22-2009, 06:12 PM
me and my buddies get together and drink and listen to everything joe strummer.
mostly the clash, but also the 101'ers, the mescaleros, and some pogues (live stuff, when he was their touring singer)
he's one of my heros, and he will be missed.
but i can't think of a better way to show my respects, than to raise a few beers to him.

neidnarb11890
08-22-2009, 06:14 PM
lance hahn deserves a party.
Indeed.

axeslash
08-23-2009, 03:30 AM
Damn. My punk friends from high school all used to celebrate Joe's birthday with Clash music and movies and documentaries and what not. Can't believe I missed it this year, we always do something. Bein' responsible adults with ****ty jobs sure sucks.

I'll party with ya on Joe Strummer Day some day Kyle. Some day.

lavazza
08-23-2009, 07:30 AM
So without anybody besides me knowing anything about Joe Strummers birthday this happened last night in our rehearsal room (everything within 15 minutes):

- There were ten people inside, I and friend talked about some random stuff and listened to the rough recording wed done before, while drinking beer.

meanwhile:
- two people from our band put a beer barrel out of the fridge and started drinking
- a guy from my other band came in with as many Cuba libre as he could carry
- two guys from my band (and my other band) came in with a cage of beer
- Another guy left the room to get more Cuba libre (with a 50 bill)

All of that for max. 10 people in this room. If that wasnt a way to celebrate Joe Strummer, then I dont know.

skatinpunk
08-23-2009, 11:06 AM
didn't find any clash vinyl.....:( did get an outbreak EP though

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 02:56 PM
Sounds like a cool time. Our main and famous punk rock bar out here is celebrating Strummers birthday tomorrow because it was a bartenders birthday on Friday too. So we've been continuing the celebration this weekend.

Good job lavazza. You truly are my boy.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Damn. My punk friends from high school all used to celebrate Joe's birthday with Clash music and movies and documentaries and what not. Can't believe I missed it this year, we always do something. Bein' responsible adults with ****ty jobs sure sucks.

I'll party with ya on Joe Strummer Day some day Kyle. Some day.

Lets do it for his death day we do the same. I believe its in December but I could be wrong.

Joe Publicity
08-23-2009, 03:39 PM
I didn't do anything on his Birthday, but what i did do was travel to the Joe Strummer Memorial forest about a year ago.
The memorial forest is on the isle of Skye in Scotland. I think it was situated there because Joe's mother was from Skye. The project was created by the carbon neutral company, an organization that Joe contributed to in the months before he died.
The forest, as you can imagine, isnt a forest yet. However there is a dedication board, and a Cairn that visitors can contribute stones to. It's a nice place.
However I was really angry by the lack of information provided by the Carbon neutral company. There was no directions or anything about the forest on their website. Any links i clicked on led me to a products they were selling. I sent them numerous messages reguarding this, but got no reply. It felt like they used Joe to sell their ****!
If it hadn't been for the nice people at Strummerville.com, I would never have found it. I will probably go back in a year or so when the trees have grown a bit and its more like a forest!

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 03:45 PM
I just got deja vu. Didn't we just talk about this last year?

Joe Publicity
08-23-2009, 05:44 PM
probably. I think i asked if anyone knew about the forest on here, because i was about to go on holiday to Skye and those carbon neutral guys were hopeless!