A message from Tim of rise against

PDA

View Full Version : A message from Tim of rise against

mymymy12
08-22-2009, 01:51 PM
It's hard to believe that its been 5 years.

Five years since I ran into Joe at a Sick Of It All show in Indianapolis and he asked if i would listen to what he's been writing and maybe sing over it. Five years since we asked Brandon if he'd move from Colorado to Chicago to play drums for us, after we had heard a demo of him beating the **** out of a drum set at breakneck speeds. Five years, and almost as many guitar players later...

We were all at some sort of crossroad at that point in our lives. Brandon had left his old band and was looking to do something full time, and he was serious enough to relocate for the band. Joe and Dan's ( our first guitar player) old band had broken up and hey were anxious to get back into the saddle, this time showcasing Joe's love for heavier music. I was in my junior year as an English major living in a hose full of Bike messenger, musicians, students and waitresses, and was missing playing in a band terribly. Then somewhere in the fall of '99, it all came together.

Since then , its been a blur of 18 hour van rides, shows for twelve kids in Texas, five dudes and all of our gear in Squiurtgun's old van riding across the great Plains, girlfriends who didn't understand why we did this and left us, kids throwing beer at us in Germany, trailers and practice spaces broken into and gear stolen, heart wrenching split ups with guitar players and friends, and jobs at grocery sores and retail outlets to make ands meet. Its meant putting ourselves out here, to be loved or hated. Its meant finding out just how thick your skin is when it's the later. Since then its meant constantly losing touch with friends and family back home and the struggle to adjust from tour to home life and back again every couple weeks, something that every tour band deals with.

But, since then, its also meant catching the ear of Fat Mike and being invited to join the amazing Fat Wreck family, touring with AFI before they were gigantic, crossing Europe in a bus with Sick Of It All, partying with NOFX in Western Canada, playing poker with Bad Religion and sining a song with them every night, eating sushi in Tokyo with No use for a name, seeing the Eiffel tower or Sydney's Opera House with friends at your side, playing black flag covers with Bill Stenon and Jim from Pennywise, putting out records that you love and watching a fan base grow from scratch right before you eyes. Something you never thought possible. It's meant being recognized on the street in a random city and being told that the music you makes had change a life, helped someone though a hard time or simply pumped someone up while they skate.

It's meant the world to use, and it all began here, with our first record. Holed up in Lafayette, IN, right across the street from the house Axl Rose grew p in. It was December of 2000, and over the next month we pieced together what would become Rise Against. We only had a handful of shows under our belts, and we were not yet sure what Rise against really was, but some underlying force kept pushing us to forge ahead and not give up.

That force, combined with the love and respect of people like you reading this, keep pushing us to this day. Its five years later now. Five ****ing years. We're still here. recording technology has drastically improved since then and we simply wanted to dust this record off and bring it up to sped with the rest of your record collection. These songs mean such to us now as they did then. and we have no intention of giving this up anytime soon.

Thank you,
Tim- Rise against

I just though fans would want to read this.
I know i did. What do you guys think?

dookie_dude_
08-22-2009, 03:40 PM
unless punk's about broken hearts and singing like Meatloaf to insecure youth, this's in the wrong forum.

He seems nice though.

Rancid Ivy
08-22-2009, 04:16 PM
-_-

tl;dr

lmao

whyvern
08-22-2009, 04:21 PM
who cares. Most of us have been involved in punk longer and have actually stuck around. **** those assholes. Ya know what I was doing 5 years ago? Reading MRR and listening to NO HOPE FOR THE KIDS. You know what I did today? Listened to NO HOPE FOR THE KIDS and read MRR. The DIY underground is still here and has been since the 80's, it's not going anywhere. Those assholes are but we're still here in the thick of it. **** them.

RockThe40oz
08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
Yeah, it's hard to even care about them... Good for you... you worked hard at one point in your life. Now you've got big record deals and global tours set up by your band manager. Where's the hard work now? Who cares about you on a personal level?

Plus the singer is an ugly f*ck

axeslash
08-23-2009, 03:07 AM
If anyone in this forum told me they gave a **** about Rise Against I'd suggest they get immediately banned from the punk forum and that we all vandalize their user-page with quotes from The Divine Comedy.

werty22
08-23-2009, 11:53 AM
C'mon guise... Even if Rise Against sucks and isn't p0nk, why do you feel the need to bash them at every opportunity? We all know that already. Just let this thread be.

RockThe40oz
08-23-2009, 01:34 PM
C'mon guise... Even if Rise Against sucks and isn't p0nk, why do you feel the need to bash them at every opportunity? We all know that already. Just let this thread be.
The guy asked what we thought of that long message... we told him...

Well, axe went kind of on a tirade, but what's new?

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 03:25 PM
I TRIED to watch Rise Against when Rancid and Billy Talent supported their tour. I stayed for like 5 songs. Eeeeeeeeeveryone sounded the same which is what I've always thought. Rancid really showed them actually how to play a show. Fuck Rise Against.

sargasm
08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
I TRIED to watch Rise Against when Rancid and Billy Talent supported their tour. I stayed for like 5 songs. Eeeeeeeeeveryone sounded the same which is what I've always thought. Rancid really showed them actually how to play a show. Fuck Rise Against.

I saw rancid and was very unimpressed. Buddy just does that thing where he spins around in circles with his guitar and doesn't loook cool at all. If you want to talk about a band whose songs all sound the same, try listening to 20 songs straight where every second word is "east bay"

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 06:17 PM
Sound the same? Each one of Rancids albums widely differs the others.

whyvern
08-23-2009, 06:18 PM
After the 2nd one they're all widely bad.

Actually... a smarter, more collegiate way to say this would be: They exhibit a multitude of degrees in SUCK.

Iluvpowerchords
08-23-2009, 06:25 PM
^ Maybe on the whole Rancid's albums aren't great but they all have great songs.

Even Indestructible has "Red Hot Moon" and stuff.

sargasm
08-23-2009, 06:42 PM
I was kidding, of course.

...or was I?

mymymy12
08-23-2009, 06:53 PM
The guy asked what we thought of that long message... we told him...

Well, axe went kind of on a tirade, but what's new?

lol no i get it. Wrong generation. You guys are probably all in your 20s 30s i dunno. I wouldn't expect you to dig rise against. But that is kinda why i added the "fans" bit. XD

werty22
08-23-2009, 06:55 PM
Not really, most of us aren't past our early twenties.

RockThe40oz
08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
lol no i get it. Wrong generation. You guys are probably all in your 20s 30s i dunno. I wouldn't expect you to dig rise against. But that is kinda why i added the "fans" bit. XD
I'm only 21, and I'm one of the older posters here. All the 30+ guys left a while ago..

And I don't think you can say it's a generational thing since we mostly listen to music created before we were born...

axeslash
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
lol no i get it. Wrong generation. You guys are probably all in your 20s 30s i dunno. I wouldn't expect you to dig rise against. But that is kinda why i added the "fans" bit. XDNo, Rise Against suck, and punks of all ages know it. Rise Against isn't punk anymore, and I've never cared enough to look into their past music to see how punk they used to be. Quit making excuses, and for the love of God don't post another "message from the guy from (insert band)."

whyvern
08-23-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm 20 years old. How old are you that you listen to music that's a part of a different generation? 10? Do you remember 9/11? Were you pissed off that Bush was elected first time? I was... even though I was in 6th Grade! There's no way you belong to a different generation than me unless you were born in 1999 or something.

By the way, the notion of fans is bull****. People who talk about their fans are egotistical rockstar assholes. Saying you have fans implies that you are playing punk rock music to make money off of it and off of the DIY punk scene that we've worked hard for 30+ years to build, free from bull**** money making desires. For the record, I think it's possible to live off of DIY punk rock and not be a rockstar asshole. Lots of people do it. Talking about yer fans makes you look really out of touch with the whole idea of punk and the community it represents. I've been on tour a buncha times, but my band doesn't have any 'fans' we've got a buncha 'friends'. The difference is, when you go on a corporate rock tour you stay in hotels and **** like that, you don't meet anyone. On a DIY tour you stay in people's houses and really get to know them and make connections that last yer whole life. ****, I'm playing drums for my friend that I met on tour (we were from the same state but 6 hours apart!) and I'm super happy that DIY punk has afforded me that opportunity... if I looked at her as a "fan" then I'd think of her as beneath me, which I don't as all... get it?

That **** really pisses me off, just thinking about that whole mindset. I don't get it at all. I'm not specifically calling you out, I'm mostly frustrated about the pervasiveness of big bands that make it big off of the DIY underground.

That kinda talk really pisses me off, and I don't wanna single you out or be a dick to you, but that **** is so antithetical to everything that punk stands for. I don't understand how anyone can think like that and claim to be a part of this awesome subculture we call punk. Stick around here, you'll find a lot better examples of awesome bands that believe **** that's worthwhile and you can actually become friends with!

Rancid Ivy
08-23-2009, 07:47 PM
No, Rise Against suck, and punks of all ages know it. Rise Against isn't punk anymore, and I've never cared enough to look into their past music to see how punk they used to be. Quit making excuses, and for the love of God don't post another "message from the guy from (insert band)."
THANK-YOU!

mymymy12
08-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Okay! I geddit! rise against arent punk. they suck, in every generation and age...
Thanks everyone for this brilliant enlightenment. I am forever indebted to you. What can i do to to repay you? Ughh theres just nothing good enough. i...just wish someday.. you know
im....gonna go listen to "siren songs...."now XD

werty22
08-23-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm surprised no one has made a "message from [Pennywise singer]" thread yet, because he left the band a few days ago and there was an essay like that circulating.

-Ru-
08-23-2009, 10:40 PM
who cares. Most of us have been involved in punk longer and have actually stuck around. **** those assholes. Ya know what I was doing 5 years ago? Reading MRR and listening to NO HOPE FOR THE KIDS. You know what I did today? Listened to NO HOPE FOR THE KIDS and read MRR. The DIY underground is still here and has been since the 80's, it's not going anywhere. Those assholes are but we're still here in the thick of it. **** them.

Sir, you are the coolest person ever.
Ever.
Period.

di4gram
08-23-2009, 11:02 PM
...and we have no intention of giving this up anytime soon.

fuck you too, Tim

RizzoWashburn
08-23-2009, 11:54 PM
Sir, you are the coolest person ever.
Ever.
Period.
Who are you?

neidnarb11890
08-24-2009, 12:05 AM
Who? who?
Who? who?

werty22