Most hardcore punk bands overall suck?

PDA

View Full Version : Most hardcore punk bands overall suck?

Jx210
08-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Fan boys keep it in your pants, trust me this isn't a trolling hate thread. I've just noticed lately that it seems like many of the most popular hardcore punk bands around the early 80's have only one or two good albums. This isn't just what I'm saying, a lot of you here have said the same thing. Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Discharge, Descendents (probably be the only one but Milo is the only album I actually like).. It seems like theirs always the 'Classic Album' that everyone loves, then fans either don't like their follow-ups or the bands just alter their sound dramatically(*cough*metal craze*cough*). Like I said, I dig most of the bands that don't seem to be hated around here I was just wondering if anyone else noticed the pattern.

werty22
08-22-2009, 02:51 PM
A lot of them were relatively short-lived, so they don't have a bunch of classics like Led Zeppelin and stuff.

Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys both have a few albums that get a lot of respect, though.

RockThe40oz
08-22-2009, 03:07 PM
You can only write so many hardcore songs without having them start to sound all too similar.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 03:30 PM
I like every Black Flag album and every Descendents album. Descendents are debatable, but I'd say that Black Flag truly got better with every album.
And... 4 bands does not equal "most hardcore punk bands."

Jx210
08-22-2009, 03:43 PM
A lot of them were relatively short-lived, so they don't have a bunch of classics like Led Zeppelin and stuff.

Yeah, that's true.

I like every Black Flag album and every Descendents album. Descendents are debatable, but I'd say that Black Flag truly got better with every album.

Like I said, most. I could be wrong, but around here, and a few other punk forums I've checked out, but it seems like a lot of people have said that after Damaged most of Black Flag's **** took a sharp turn. I'm not taking sides because I don't listen to them enough to really care, I'm just stating an opinion that's been made before quite a bit. It's not a personal attack on the band.

About the Descendents, I imagined I'd be in the minority on that. Again though, it doesn't matter because despite my dislike of the rest of their discography, I like Milo enough to consider them one of my favorite bands.

No ****. I felt that the intelligence of this board was high enough that I didn't have to list every single band that fit that catagory because the majority of the readers would understand it, and accept that they were meant to be an example.

DaddyTwoFoot
08-22-2009, 03:45 PM
Most bands of any style suck, because most everything sucks.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Yeah, that's true.
No ****. I felt that the intelligence of this board was high enough that I didn't have to list every single band that fit that catagory because the majority of the readers would understand it, and accept that they were meant to be an example.

:rolleyes:
The point was that I can't think of many other hardcore bands that fit your description. Most other hardcore bands don't really apply since the majority of them only put out 1 to 3 records.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Hardcore punk is like the N64.

It produced some good stuff. Just not a lot of good stuff.

So everyone has the same list of favorites.

PS1 was better.

whyvern
08-22-2009, 04:25 PM
that's kinda why hardcore is meant to be listened to on 7". LP's just aren't a good format for punk/hc.

DollSteak
08-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Hardcore punk is like the N64.

It produced some good stuff. Just not a lot of good stuff.

So everyone has the same list of favorites.

PS1 was better.

You couldn't say it better.

whyvern
08-22-2009, 04:29 PM
oh yeah and with the N64 metaphor... even the **** that the n64 made was pretty awesome. THE LEGEND OF THE MYSTICAL NINJA STARING GEOMON... ok, not look at as an amazing game but still thoroughly awesome... kicks the **** outta CRASH BANDICOOT.

Granted ROCKET: ROBOT WITH WHEELS was utter **** though.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 04:32 PM
^ agreed. N64 was incredible. I was rarely disappointed.

RockThe40oz
08-22-2009, 04:33 PM
This thread is now about n64.

Goldeneye is an awful game now. It was great when it came out, but I don't understand why people still want to play it all the time.

DollSteak
08-22-2009, 04:36 PM
now the one I regret most is Doom 64 :(
Goldeneye was cool yep :D

lolmnt
08-22-2009, 04:38 PM
I used to remember N64 as something amazing, but a month or two ago my friend and I broke out all his old games and we were really disappointed. They didn't age well.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 04:40 PM
oh yeah and with the N64 metaphor... even the **** that the n64 made was pretty awesome. THE LEGEND OF THE MYSTICAL NINJA STARING GEOMON... ok, not look at as an amazing game but still thoroughly awesome... kicks the **** outta CRASH BANDICOOT.

Granted ROCKET: ROBOT WITH WHEELS was utter **** though.

Mystical Ninja was the shit.

so :five: on that.

But Playstation's library kicks the crap outta the N64's blocky, proverbial face with a big steel toed boot on the grounds of third party support alone.

Plus I was an RPG nerd in those days. And the N64 was awful for that genre.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 04:42 PM
I used to remember N64 as something amazing, but a month or two ago my friend and I broke out all his old games and we were really disappointed. They didn't age well.

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie, Castlevania, Mario Kart, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron still provide me with tons more entertainment than the average 360 or Wii game.

Jx210
08-22-2009, 04:43 PM
Hey You Pikachu was almost a bigger waste of money than the Clash album I didn't download..

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 04:44 PM
This thread is now about n64.

Goldeneye is an awful game now. It was great when it came out, but I don't understand why people still want to play it all the time.

I played Goldeneye with friends a bit last weekend and it's so unintuitive now just based on the one stick moving/aiming system.

I kept reaching for a second stick to aim up and down.

And I couldn't eve use Oddjob cuz he wasn't unlocked :mad:

lolmnt
08-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Super Smash Bros, Banjo Kazooie, Castlevania, Mario Kart, and Star Wars Rogue Squadron still provide me with tons more entertainment than the average 360 or Wii game.We played Super Smash Bros, Mario Cart, Star Wars Pod Racer, and a few more that I can't remember. I was most disappointed by Pod Racer, because that was my favorite game as a kid.

RockThe40oz
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
Not to mention Gamecube and Wii versions of Smash Bros are way better in every regard.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah Pod Racer is no good now.

But I only really had experience with the super cool arcade game that was shaped like, you know, a pod.

Fuck do you guys remember arcades?!

They produced some great Birthday parties.

RockThe40oz
08-22-2009, 04:51 PM
I miss arcades, really... Now they're all so damned expensive...

Maybe I should find a good one around here and get a few people to go with me.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Not to mention Gamecube and Wii versions of Smash Bros are way better in every regard.

My beef with Wii Smash is that Jigglypuff's down + B move is significantly weakened.

In Melee hitting that move with Jiggly could kill people at 0%

It was the only hope I had of killing my much better friends.

I would hide in a corner of the map and then when I saw an opening, I would float adorably (cuz everything Jigglypuff does is adorable) over my victim and reign hell down upon them.

One of my best friends would get so mad that he would want to physically fight me over it. Which only made me want to do it more. :haha:

lolmnt
08-22-2009, 04:55 PM
I also miss arcades. Do they exist anymore? My town just got a "video game lounge." Apparently there's just a bunch of Xbox's and PS3's set up with some couches and ****. So it's basically my friend's upstairs except I don't have to pay there.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 04:59 PM
There are still a few pretty cheap arcades around here. I used to go all the time.
I got the high score in Pac Man at one of them. Number ****ing 1.

Damn, I want to go to an arcade now.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 05:02 PM
My college has a cafe with 360s and PS3s so people can play people and presumably start friendships?! I dunno.

It's one thing to play on the nets, where you can talk **** to random strangers w/o fear of repercussions but when you play a stranger in person I have found the only thing you get is awkward silence.

But yeah our last arcade closed a few years back. Along with the AWESOME new york pizza shop next to it. Now the most I can hope for is some games in a laundromat or something.

Though if you go to a town with a beach boardwalk you'll find that the number of arcades significantly increases.

RockThe40oz
08-22-2009, 05:08 PM
I just found a Dave and Busters style arcade.. 70 games, laser tag, mini-bowling, rock climbing tower, 2-story ball maze (?), bumper cars... and most importantly... A BAR!

Apparently the food is terrible, but who cares? I'm trying to get some coworkers to go with me tonight.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 05:13 PM
LAZER TAG!!!! :D

Another birthday staple.

I always took it so seriously. And would make fun of kids with asthma who couldn't play cuz of the smoke/dry ice they would use for atmosphere.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Last time I went to play Laser Tag some kid followed me around the whole time and kept shooting me. He also hit me in the face with his gun.
:mad:

Mack56
08-22-2009, 06:16 PM
the only N64 game i really loved was Pokemon Stadium. twas super fun. :D

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Whenever I played pokemon stadium the person who got to attack first always won.

So I was never into it.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 06:51 PM
We've been getting so off topic in all these threads.

charliezard!
08-22-2009, 07:06 PM
We've been getting so off topic in all these threads.

The original topic was lame.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-22-2009, 07:10 PM
I agree.

I started my new job today. Stoked.

Gonna hit up a buddies barbeque in a little bit.

Got work tomorrow.

I did just eat and am pretty full right now. Tacos in you must know.

And N64 was amazing. I do miss having mass people over for Wrestlemanai 2000 parties. But Smackdown parties were classic too.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 07:13 PM
ha.

I've watched Wrestlemania x8 today and I'm on the last match of XIX now.

I can't wait for Lesnar's shooting star press.

I love playing WCW/NWO Revenge on N64. I always use Glacier.

lolmnt
08-22-2009, 07:19 PM
**** maybe I'll play laser tag for my birthday.

Iluvpowerchords
08-22-2009, 07:26 PM
I had the home lazer tag thing.

I forget what it was called. You strapped something to yer front (and back if you had enough of 'em) and aimed a lazer at that thing. I don't think it worked that well either. Especially cuz usually there was nothing on yer opponents back so sneak attacks couldn't be done...

And you could cover yer stomach and stuff.

But it was still better than paintball cuz you didn't have to drive to the middle of nowhere to play it.

lolmnt
08-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Yeah I had that too. My friend had a robot that would shot at you and you had to shot it. That was fun for rainy day laser tag matches.

Actually thinking about it, most of our laser tagging happened in the house.

I played paintball in the woods across the street from my house.

SKAtastic7770
08-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Converge gets better with every album it seems. But they do drastically change their sound.

And just a quick question to the punk forum real quick, we are allowed to discuss hardcore bands here right? Because I dont wanna deal with a board full of metalcore fans talking about how awesome Bullet For My Valentine is in order to discuss Gorilla Biscuits.

Edit: Sorry missed the N64 thing, I dont read threads. Iggy's Reckin Balls was a great game for it and Starfox 64 will always be one of my favorite games ever. Along with OoT.

skatinpunk
08-22-2009, 11:22 PM
I agree.

I started my new job today. Stoked.

Gonna hit up a buddies barbeque in a little bit.

Got work tomorrow.

I did just eat and am pretty full right now. Tacos in you must know.

And N64 was amazing. I do miss having mass people over for Wrestlemanai 2000 parties. But Smackdown parties were classic too.
whats the new job?

jakesmellspoo
08-23-2009, 12:08 PM
the problem with the word "hardcore" is some people seem to think it refers to ****ty screamo, emo, grindcore bands (sorry i don't know what to call it, just don't flame me please)

pinheadslts75
08-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I didn't have an N64 until long after the PS2, etc, had come out.

PS2 remains my favorite out of all them.

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 02:43 PM
whats the new job?

Everyone here knows its at Hellcat. I'm the bitch.

skatinpunk
08-23-2009, 03:42 PM
thats pretty sick. i just gave some money to the record company you work for yesterday in that case

BR0KENHEARTED
08-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Gave me?

Do me a favor and call Chris Lasalle one of the owners of Hellcat. 213 413 7353 ext 247 and just say ' Argyle Street ' and hang up. Its my new band everyone is doing it its rather funny.

skatinpunk
08-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Gave me?

Do me a favor and call Chris Lasalle one of the owners of Hellcat. 213 413 7353 ext 247 and just say ' Argyle Street ' and hang up. Its my new band everyone is doing it its rather funny.
will do!

original=punk
08-23-2009, 09:45 PM

QFT

ImSteve
08-24-2009, 01:44 AM
All four of the bands the OP posted have multiple outstanding albums each, I dont get it.

lavazza
08-24-2009, 05:18 AM
The only bands the threadstarter mentioned that IŽd consider hardcore as well are Black Flag and The Descendents, but the Descendents turned into a really listenable pop punk band (on of the few)

Nexium
08-24-2009, 06:30 AM
the problem with the word "hardcore" is some people seem to think it refers to ****ty screamo, emo, grindcore bands (sorry i don't know what to call it, just don't flame me please)

Hey buddy stay On topic! :p:

:peace:

jakesmellspoo
08-25-2009, 08:49 PM
okay, back on topic then. the only hardcore band i really listen to is the descendents, but a lot of their more recent stuff is more pop punk, as someone above me here said before. i only have one black flag 10" nervous breakdown. i like it, i really need to get more, but i won't buy henry rollins era albums. sorry, just don't like him. (on a side note, i hate 10" b/c they require me to carefully put the needle on the record instead of hitting they play button)

RockThe40oz
08-25-2009, 09:18 PM
okay, back on topic then. the only hardcore band i really listen to is the descendents, but a lot of their more recent stuff is more pop punk, as someone above me here said before. i only have one black flag 10" nervous breakdown. i like it, i really need to get more, but i won't buy henry rollins era albums. sorry, just don't like him. (on a side note, i hate 10" b/c they require me to carefully put the needle on the record instead of hitting they play button)
The topic is N64.. DIDN'T YOU GET THE MEMO!?

jakesmellspoo
08-25-2009, 09:29 PM
aw hell yeah. N64 kicks ass. wish i hadn't given mine away.

Iluvpowerchords
08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
^ Buy one for 30 bucks dew!

charliezard!
08-26-2009, 08:09 AM
I have 3 N64s.

jakesmellspoo
08-26-2009, 07:20 PM
mail me one!

sargasm
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
ah