Blues Duels III - carmour v iceman420

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Duels III - carmour v iceman420

strawforest007
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Listen to each track and vote on the poll!

carmour - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/carmour/music/play686657

iceman420 - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Iceman+420/music/all/play683932

One week to vote. Winner goes through to Round 2. Runner-up goes to the second-chance play-off.

11 other duels to vote on in this round...

Best of luck!

Iceman 420
08-23-2009, 05:32 PM
Just wanted to say good luck to carmour, but after seeing the poll results, I see he needs no luck here. Great track, man.

Jimmy94
08-23-2009, 07:36 PM
carmour, your guitar is clipping throughout the whole song, keep an eye on that when you record because it hurts your tone a lot. Great playing though!

iceman your timing was off a lot, which is a shame because your tone and playing are good otherwise.

Carmour gets my vote, nice job both of you.

carmour
08-23-2009, 08:11 PM
carmour, your guitar is clipping throughout the whole song, keep an eye on that when you record because it hurts your tone a lot. Great playing though!

iceman your timing was off a lot, which is a shame because your tone and playing are good otherwise.

I was planning on recording it at a friends who has a proper microphone and recording set up, but he's been too busy so i had to record it through my headset microphone, hence the **** quality.. apologies, i hate that a lot of my tone gets lost in the process. Next round should be better :]

Cheers Iceman, blues is what I do :)

Iceman 420
08-23-2009, 09:44 PM

Yeah, I didn't notice how off my timing was until I listened to it again. Soooo many takes and I chose the one with bad timing! :bonk:

Hendrix_fan_14
08-23-2009, 11:43 PM
I voted for carmour, however the position you get for placing a mic is absolutely crucial to have as much tone as possible, and the clipping sapped that a bit. Great feel though.

It's been repeated and it was timing that let down Iceman_420 and some fluency.

However they were both generally good.

carmour
08-24-2009, 12:14 AM
I voted for carmour, however the position you get for placing a mic is absolutely crucial to have as much tone as possible, and the clipping sapped that a bit. Great feel though.

No matter where I place my mic, there's no way I'm gonna get a good tone with a PC headphone mic haha, especially when recording a loud tube amp like my 410 Deville >.<

Hendrix_fan_14
08-24-2009, 12:32 AM
No matter where I place my mic, there's no way I'm gonna get a good tone with a PC headphone mic haha, especially when recording a loud tube amp like my 410 Deville >.<

:haha Okay I understand your point. A good mic does wonders for your sound.

JilaX^
08-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Carmour, fucking brilliant playing, shame about the clipping. Gotta love some Peter Green.

Iceman, just keep working on it. You'll get there eventually. :cheers:

rocknroll93
08-24-2009, 06:03 AM
i vote for carmour, i just loved that!

salmon philippe
08-24-2009, 06:14 AM
Carmour - you are really brilliant on that song, the only thing that disturbsme a bit is the "strings" behind .

Iceman - not bad at all with an urge of expression, unfortunately for your first round , you are fighting against one of the best blues man here around...
I vote for Carmour

RubberSoul54321
08-24-2009, 02:24 PM
carmour. Just thought it was an all-round better job. I think Iceman's is also very good though apart from the already mentioned timing.

pak1351
08-24-2009, 03:38 PM
Carmour, really enjoyed it. I can only imagine the tone without a clipped mic, it was already very nice imo. I would love to ehar a different ending, I think it was kind of abrupt, but I enjoyed the phrasing throughout and would like to hear more. Sounded very much like an actual instrumental instead of a solo over a backing track, it was all very tasteful.

Iceman, yeah, there were some timing issues, but I thought it was fairly well done. The difference for me was carmour's felt like a song and yours felt like a jam over a track, not sure how to explain it better than that. Just didn't seem to flow from start to finish as well. Would love to hear some more vibrato in some of your sustained notes, I heard hints of it throughout (1:35 is a good example), just thought it would have helped the fluidity of the track.

Two good tracks. Voted for carmour

carmour
08-25-2009, 02:17 AM
Carmour - you are really brilliant on that song, the only thing that disturbsme a bit is the "strings" behind .

Haha, what was wrong with the strings bro? I was planning on recording the whole song again and doing a version without a backing track using bass/drums/rhythm guitar/piano and horns on the B section, but ran out of time and resources lol

Carmour, really enjoyed it. I can only imagine the tone without a clipped mic, it was already very nice imo. I would love to ehar a different ending, I think it was kind of abrupt, but I enjoyed the phrasing throughout and would like to hear more. Sounded very much like an actual instrumental instead of a solo over a backing track, it was all very tasteful.

Yeah several things created the abrupt ending heh, the backing track had a fade out, I totally forgot that I was nearing the end of the track, and the programme I use to convert to MP3 clips 40% of the song, so i had to estimate a 40% silence buffer bit at the end of the track so it didn't clip my song hahah, ghettoooo

Cheers for the kind words, tried to keep some of the original, while throw in some of my other influences and a bit of me (hopefully) so it didn't get repetitive..

zhilla
08-26-2009, 02:42 PM
Carmour - wow! Iceman, bad luck on coming up against him in the first round man!