Blues Duels III - imgooley v guitarplaya322

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Duels III - imgooley v guitarplaya322

strawforest007
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
Listen to each track and vote on the poll!

imgooley - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/imgooley/music/play677997

guitarplaya322 - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/guitarplaya322/music/play557422

One week to vote. Winner goes through to Round 2. Runner-up goes to the second-chance play-off.

11 other duels to vote on in this round...

Best of luck!

guitarplaya322
08-23-2009, 09:57 AM
Are we supposed to vote for ourselves or the other person? I voted for imgooley just to be classy but wondering what to do in the future.

strawforest007
08-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Your not mean't to vote in the duel you are involved in: unwritten rule. Admirable that you've voted for your opponent though!

nico42
08-23-2009, 10:18 AM
Your not mean't to vote in the duel you are involved in: unwritten rule. Admirable that you've voted for your opponent though!

I had the same question but I instinctively followed that previously unwritten/now kinda written rule..

Bluestube
08-23-2009, 10:21 AM

Oh I didn't know that, so I voted for my opponent too.

Jimmy94
08-23-2009, 03:00 PM
gooley, your acoustic playing is good, love the slide you add in there. The meter is very irregular, you don't keep a consistent tempo going at all which is important to solo acoustic blues like this. Even guys like John Lee Hooker who would abandon the beat entirely at times or add and remove beats at will kept the foot stomping in perfect time. Try practicing with a metronome to get more steady.

guitarplaya, your playing is outstanding, amazing, excellent etc. Great tone too, and the singing is perfect. Great job. The only thing I hear wrong is a few timing issues but I really had to listen for that just to find something to nitpick ;) great job, you got my vote.

carmour
08-23-2009, 09:01 PM
gooley, your acoustic playing is good, love the slide you add in there. The meter is very irregular, you don't keep a consistent tempo going at all which is important to solo acoustic blues like this. Even guys like John Lee Hooker who would abandon the beat entirely at times or add and remove beats at will kept the foot stomping in perfect time. Try practicing with a metronome to get more steady.

guitarplaya, your playing is outstanding, amazing, excellent etc. Great tone too, and the singing is perfect. Great job. The only thing I hear wrong is a few timing issues but I really had to listen for that just to find something to nitpick ;) great job, you got my vote.

I feel the same about gooley, and the voice did nothing for me. Don't cover something unless you can do it justice :/

But TBH, ZZ Top are horrendously sloppy, and the intro and rhythm up to the solo seemed pretty sketchy, got nice during the solo though :]. If that's you singing, sounds good man. Gotta give it to you

Hendrix_fan_14
08-24-2009, 12:00 AM
The acoustic playing and slide was great on gooley's one. Timing let you down here on keeping a beat I think through the tempo.

guitarplaya322 was incredible. Is that you singing? Really great tone, feel etc, nice work.

I voted for guitarplaya322.

Jimmy94
08-24-2009, 02:39 AM
But TBH, ZZ Top are horrendously sloppy, and the intro and rhythm up to the solo seemed pretty sketchy, got nice during the solo though :]. If that's you singing, sounds good man. Gotta give it to you

I don't understand how you can hate zz top so much, they're so damn fun!

salmon philippe
08-24-2009, 03:05 AM
hard to compare an old accoustic thing with a zz top blues rock, but if I consider only the guitar playin, I have to join the majority, guitarplayer is the best !

carmour
08-24-2009, 03:15 AM
I don't understand how you can hate zz top so much, they're so damn fun!

To be fair I don't really hate them, it's just if im listening to blues rock I'd much rather hear the white stripes, cream, led zep, the black keys or hendrix etc. Guitarists playing is bad sloppy live and their songs are blues minus all the things i like about blues really >.<

I guess i'm too deep in the roots to taste the fruits now :(

JilaX^
08-24-2009, 04:18 AM
To be fair I don't really hate them, it's just if im listening to blues rock I'd much rather hear the white stripes, cream, led zep, the black keys or hendrix etc. Guitarists playing is bad sloppy live and their songs are blues minus all the things i like about blues really >.<

:p:

I really must agree, though. The deeper I get in the blues, the harder it is to appreciate things like ZZ Top...

rocknroll93
08-24-2009, 06:07 AM
I loved the Z top one, but the slide was good as well.. but I prefer electric over acoustic, (i dunno why) so i voterd for guitarplaya322

guitarplaya322
08-24-2009, 09:59 AM

I agree with you! That track that i recorded is pretty old, but i couldnt record anything in time for this round so I had to use an old track. I'm not as into ZZ top as i used to be. Now I'm into blues rock stuff that you mentioned, jazz, rock, and other stuff too. :)

RubberSoul54321
08-24-2009, 02:06 PM
Guitarplaya blew me away - I love ZZ Top. I liked imgooley too, but vote went to Guitarplaya

pak1351
08-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Gooley, I really dug the vocals actually, seems contrary to what most are saying. You've got a good voice for the solo acoustic blues in my opinion. Timing kind of ruined it for me, stopped me from really getting into the flow, but I can appreciate the challenge of going truly solo.

Guitarplaya, I agree with jilax's comment on your actual page, too many triplets made it a bad start to the solo imo, but it got more interesting after that point. You kept a good rhythm throughout, a few quick mess-ups here and there but like Jimmy said, they're kind of tough to pick up on unless you know what you're listening for (unluckily for you, I know this song and most of their catalog by heart). To be quite honest it's hard to compare that because you had a backing track and a metronome going compared to gooley straight up soloing throughout, there's definitely a big gap in difficulty.

That being said, I picked guitarplaya because I could get into the rhythm. That's what blues is all about imo.

Can't believe all the zz top hate on here, especially carmour's post made me :confused: Have you listened to zep, hendrix, and cream live? Not exactly the epitome of clean, tight playing.

imgooley
08-24-2009, 10:18 PM
Maybe it was just an off recording :shrug:

Normally I don't **** up on the rhythm like that :shrug:

:facepalm:

It's more a question of not being able to hit the right notes on the right beat as opposed to not being able to keep a beat.

I'm not making excuses, because my opponent's track is better than mine, no, I don't need a metronome, and yes, I can keep a beat. I just need more practice singing and playing at the same time.

:shrug:

aig91
08-24-2009, 10:26 PM
Loved that ZZ Top cover. The solo was great. Guitarplaya322 got my vote.

carmour
08-25-2009, 02:00 AM
Can't believe all the zz top hate on here, especially carmour's post made me :confused: Have you listened to zep, hendrix, and cream live? Not exactly the epitome of clean, tight playing.

I've got plenty of their live stuff, total ~350 hendrix songs lol :P

Hendrix is a different kind of sloppy to ZZ Top IMO.. his playing is often pretty avant garde, and straight from the cuff, so his sloppyness stems from pushing his limits and trying out new things.. He was just a spontaneous guy and that makes him sound sloppy

Clapton in Cream was sloppy also because they were just jamming live pretty much, and he was doing a similar thing to hendrix; pushing himself to the limit and experimenting

Page is pretty sloppy i'll admit, mostly because of his drug abuse.. when he's on point he's awesome - it's the same sort of sloppyness as hendrix and clapton

ZZ Top's sloppyness, however (just IMO :P) sounds more due to lack of technical ability and lazyness.. he's not playing anything overly taxing or complicated, but live he just sounds out of time and really careless

just my opinion, no hate..

zhilla
08-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Love guitarplaya322's cover - ZZ was the only band ALL my friends could ever agree to listen to without grumbling :) Gotta go with imgooley on this one tho - just for the fantastic mental image of a HUGE old blues guy sitting on his porch in the New Orleans swamps his track conjured up! Awesome :D

imgooley
08-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I've got plenty of their live stuff, total ~350 hendrix songs lol :P

Hendrix is a different kind of sloppy to ZZ Top IMO.. his playing is often pretty avant garde, and straight from the cuff, so his sloppyness stems from pushing his limits and trying out new things.. He was just a spontaneous guy and that makes him sound sloppy

Clapton in Cream was sloppy also because they were just jamming live pretty much, and he was doing a similar thing to hendrix; pushing himself to the limit and experimenting

Page is pretty sloppy i'll admit, mostly because of his drug abuse.. when he's on point he's awesome - it's the same sort of sloppyness as hendrix and clapton

ZZ Top's sloppyness, however (just IMO :P) sounds more due to lack of technical ability and lazyness.. he's not playing anything overly taxing or complicated, but live he just sounds out of time and really careless

just my opinion, no hate..Your opinion is totally unfounded. Seems to me like you haven't listened to much ZZ Top. Billy Gibbons is much more on point most of the time (especially live) than all three of the others. Though Hendrix is a special case because he played psychedelic music (moreso than clapton in Cream).

carmour
08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
lol thread hijack. How is my opinion unfounded? It's based on the same stuff that yours is based on.. watching/listening and judging, what makes yours superior? Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one

I've listened to all their albums and seen some of their live stuff, enough to know I don't like their version of the blues, seems like watered down motorbike blues. Anyway, i'ma step outta this thread before it gets derailed too much lmao

Jimmy94
08-26-2009, 07:35 PM
it's not an opinion if a band is tight or in time, it's a fact. ZZ Top are a very tight band, studio and live. They don't go for the crazy jamming that Hendrix, Cream or Zeppelin do and Gibbons is more consistently in time than those other bands. Whether you prefer that or not is up to you.

RubberSoul54321
08-27-2009, 03:12 PM
Billy Gibbons rocks - end of.