Blues Duels III - matt921 v j_hunter_hkr

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Duels III - matt921 v j_hunter_hkr

strawforest007
08-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Listen to each track and vote on the poll!

matt921 - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/matt92l/music/play686479

j_hunter_hkr - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/j_hunter_hkr/music/play686102

One week to vote. Winner goes through to Round 2. Runner-up goes to the second-chance play-off.

11 other duels to vote on in this round...

Best of luck!

nico42
08-23-2009, 09:34 AM
That's a hard one! Matt's composition is very nice and the effects add a great atmosphere and j_hunter_hkr has one of the best tones of the first round imo.
But my vote goes to matt, because I'm always in favour of original compositions.

matt92l
08-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Two very different things going on here! May the best man win :cheers:

johnjimman
08-23-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm a sucker for tremolo so I voted for Matt though I did like j_hunter_hkr's tone a lot too.

Jazzman91
08-23-2009, 10:53 AM
My vote goes to j_hunter_hkr, because I prefer the style. Don't understand me wrong, Matts is a wonderful composition but it has in my point of view to many effects.

Jimmy94
08-23-2009, 02:51 PM
Matt, I like your composition a lot, great chord progression! Very dark and mysterious, the tremolo adds a lot to it. Your soloing is excellent, I like the way you throw chords and octaves in there to mix it up. Great job.

hunter, your tone is excellent, your playing is clean and mean! A few timing issues but nothing serious. You copied entire licks from SRV, I'm sure you can make your own, right? :p It's a well done track.

I'm going with matt for his originality on this round. good job both of you.

zachm07
08-23-2009, 03:08 PM
this is soo hard to choose.

i love what matt did with the composition. i really felt it.

hunters was great and it was awesome to use what sounded like red house as a backing, but i felt it more in matts. he get's my vote

carmour
08-23-2009, 08:53 PM
Matt - Could have done with an added melody before the solo kicks in to bring the piece together. Your playing sounds pretty intense, has some fire to it :], you kept with the changes too which was refreshing lol. A Intro melody and outro melody would've really brought the whole piece together IMO.
Hunter - I might be wrong, but it sounds like you can't do vibrato at the top of a bend yet ;)? Some nice playing in there, tone sounded pretty digital though. Nothing wrong with using SRV licks, just make sure to put your own style in there too..

Went with Matt, his won out on originality but also on feel for me too

Hendrix_fan_14
08-24-2009, 12:06 AM
I voted for Matt's one because of the feel, the tremolo was a great effect and the solo was great.

I'm not a fan of the tone on Hunter's one. I'm not sure if this is just my opinion?

Both had really good playing.

j_hunter_hkr
08-24-2009, 05:17 AM
Thanks for all the comments, they're really I helpful. Yes, I've stolen SRV licks, the same way he stole most of his licks ;)

carmour, vibrato on bends isn't usually an issue for me but I'm actually suffering from RSI in my left hand at the minute and shouldn't be playing guitar at all (that's easier said than done!). I'm recording though a JamVox, which is why my tone sounds really digital. It's the only equipment I have to record with I'm afraid.

Thanks again chaps, I'm sure my next track will be a lot better. I've learnt quite a lot about recording and my own playing already!

salmon philippe
08-24-2009, 06:00 AM
Both songs are very good, and expressive , very hard for me to choose here, I think I will come back later

rocknroll93
08-24-2009, 06:00 AM
liked both of them, i just liked matts a little more. well done!

RubberSoul54321
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
This is the hardest one to call for me so far. I really like both. I love the fact the Matt's is a completely original composition but I think hkr's take on Red House is excellent. On balance, i'd have to go with Matt just because it made me nod my head up and down and smile.

matt92l
08-24-2009, 07:04 PM
^Man, your from bangor? I live in Holywood!

RubberSoul54321
08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Bangor rules, holywood smells bad LOL.

carmour
08-25-2009, 02:08 AM
T

carmour, vibrato on bends isn't usually an issue for me but I'm actually suffering from RSI in my left hand at the minute and shouldn't be playing guitar at all (that's easier said than done!). I'm recording though a JamVox, which is why my tone sounds really digital. It's the only equipment I have to record with I'm afraid.

RSI would explain that ;) what a trooper