Blues Duels III - salmon philippe v jilax

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Duels III - salmon philippe v jilax

strawforest007
08-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Listen to each track and vote on the poll!

salmon philippe - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/salmon+philippe/music/play508557

jilax^ - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/JilaX%5E/music/play685125

One week to vote. Winner goes through to Round 2. Runner-up goes to the second-chance play-off.

11 other duels to vote on in this round...

Best of luck!

nico42
08-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Pretty high class duel, jilax has some nice licks but I'll go with salmon philippe, gotta love some nice sounding acoustig blues with a slide!

j_hunter_hkr
08-23-2009, 09:37 AM
I've gone with salmon philippe, what a fantastic track! Kudos to Jilax^ though, I really enjoyed yours too.

JilaX^
08-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Very good track!

Very different from mine :p:

Good luck! :cheers:

carmour
08-23-2009, 08:45 PM
Jilax - Sounds really Jimmy Vaughn at the start, although it wasn't recorded well I can hear the good tone underneath it all ;). Seemed to get lost a bit at times (during the middle), but that's all good, one take jam etc, we all do it, especially over a long track. Came together at the end, you seemed to loosen up and play yourself a bit more which was cool to hear :]

Salmon Philippe - Cool track. Overall as a track it was better put together than Jilax, the two parts mixed well. The whole track just fit well as a piece. None of the playing was AMAZING, but nothing amazing was needed to make the track great

Tough one, both tracks really diff, one more of a instrumental song, the other more of a blues improvised song

Gonna go with Salmon

Hendrix_fan_14
08-24-2009, 12:11 AM
I went with Salmon I really, really loved the feel and the tone on the track. Great slide playing.

Jilax is an amazing player, had really nice dynamics and tone.

This was a hard one to pick.

salmon philippe
08-24-2009, 03:26 AM
thank you guys !
I have to say I like Jilax blues too, good luck for you man

JilaX^
08-24-2009, 04:12 AM
Jilax - Sounds really Jimmy Vaughn at the start, although it wasn't recorded well I can hear the good tone underneath it all ;). Seemed to get lost a bit at times (during the middle), but that's all good, one take jam etc, we all do it, especially over a long track. Came together at the end, you seemed to loosen up and play yourself a bit more which was cool to hear :]

Salmon Philippe - Cool track. Overall as a track it was better put together than Jilax, the two parts mixed well. The whole track just fit well as a piece. None of the playing was AMAZING, but nothing amazing was needed to make the track great

Tough one, both tracks really diff, one more of a instrumental song, the other more of a blues improvised song

Gonna go with Salmon

Well, the beginning was meant to be Jimmie-ish :p: (Not that I can really get close :haha)
It was recorded using a laptops mic, so naturally a lot of the tone is lost, which is a shame. But, eyh. I guess it's a good excuse to buy a good mic :D
Yeah, the middle was a bit Jammy and when listening to it, I know what I would've done differently. But, I'd rather leave it as it is, than do 10 takes and kill the feel for me...
Thanks for the kind words :cheers:

Thank to you too Hendrix :)

Well, Salmon. Looks like it's gonna be a close one :o

salmon philippe
08-24-2009, 06:04 AM
very close indeed ! what happens if we have 50% each ?

rocknroll93
08-24-2009, 06:11 AM
i went with salmon philippe because although I don't really like acoustic, this one stood out a fair bit. I liked it.

RubberSoul54321
08-24-2009, 02:31 PM
Salmon's acoustic playing is really nice. Liked the laid back feel and the balance of the 2 parts. Really enjoyed Jilax - some nice licks and great tone - even for a laptop mic! Jilax got my vote.

pak1351
08-24-2009, 03:21 PM
I went with salmon, but I'm a sucker for that style.
Thought it was really fantastic, nice percussive playing, nice slide overdubs, kind of fell apart over the solo around 3:25-3:40 imo, lost a little structure and got busy, but overall I really enjoyed it.

jilax, I thought you had some really tasty licks, 0:22-0:42 were probably some of my favorites, just really great phrasing. I was getting some bad clipping the whole time which made it a little harder to get into. I agree with carmour on this one, the middle seemed to be kind of wandering, but I enjoyed the beginning (being a jv fan) and end as well.

Very good entries gentlemen

aig91
08-24-2009, 10:14 PM
Salmon's stood out more for me. It was different. I love the tone of that acoustic guitar. I voted for him.

Great playing to Jilax though.

Loved them both.