Slide Guitar Problems

PDA

View Full Version : Slide Guitar Problems

shark38j
08-29-2009, 04:08 PM
So, I broke out the slide today for a jam I have next week and I'm having some problems. When I play you can hear the slide moving up and down all the strings. I understand the concept of dampening the strings behind the slide, but moving the slide up the neck seems to play all the strings, even though they are not picked. Does anyone have any techniques for this.

bigfootone212
08-29-2009, 04:16 PM
yep, play with your fingers. that way you can choose which strings to let ring out with your picking hand

TD2013
I dont totally understand your problem becuase i just make sure my fingers dont touch the other strings unless your doing a chord. Maybe some of your amp setting really make this " all strings playing at the same time " really stand out. Such as if you use Distortion you can hear every little touch you do.

IDK if that helpped much but i tried.

TD2013
srry i meant Barre Chord

UNIe
08-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Well, if you use the slide for double stops, it shouldn't be perfectly clean, but if you use it for single note melodies, then you should put it not on all strings, but only on 2-3 and dampen unneeded ones with your right hand.

strawforest007
08-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Damping the unwanted strings with the picking hand is the way to go as has been mentioned already. Slide into the notes you want (either up or down) by no more than 1 or 2 frets, so keep the slide off the strings when you don't need to play!

Have a hunt around on youtube for some visual tips. There's no right or wrong way to play slide but it's frustrating when you don't know how to achieve the sound you want! Are you just doing chords and riffs or are you soloing too?

stratoclap
08-29-2009, 07:48 PM
about 2 minutes in he explains his dampening technique
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5OLrK3WtvA

gabcd86
08-30-2009, 08:05 AM
I also have a problem with muting behind the slide - I can never get my fingers flat behind the slide when playing chords - it's one of the big long metal ones. :/

shark38j
08-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I played with my fingers and dampened the strings with my right hand. That seemed to work the best. My fiance appreciates it also, since it was sounding pretty rank at times and it gets pretty loud with my Dr. Z.

Blind In 1 Ear
08-30-2009, 11:08 PM
well i usually still use my pick with slide. so usually i mute the bottom strings with my palm, or all of them if im playing on the top string. if im playing on the B or G string though, ill usually use my picking hand fingers to mute the strings above them.

also, you dont need to have the slide over all the strings all the time. that helps as well. also with muting the top strings, you can lean the slide slightly while playing say the B and G strings so that its not on the high e.

it just takes some time and practice. slide playing is almost more about muting than actual playing. im getting back into it these days. i havent played slide much in the past year.