Reccomend me some Blues & Jazz

PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend me some Blues & Jazz

dancelasvegas
08-31-2009, 06:04 PM
I'm trying to get my album collection up with some truly great albums so I have been asking around the band & artist forums for people to reccommend me some albums that should certaintly be in my record collection, So just suggest away

I honestly cannot say I am a listener of Jazz so am open to all branches of jazz, i'm hoping for it to be heavily jazz guitar based though, as I am interested in widening my musical ears which should hopefully end up in my musical fingers too.

The kind of blues I like that i have listened to is Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Richie Sambora's solo album.

Thanks!

noddy-whack
08-31-2009, 06:13 PM
For jazz- any Pat Metheny is good for guitar. You need MIles Davis kind of blue, classic album. Listen to some Django Reindhardt too, he is amazing

TheBabySnatcher
08-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Joe Pass, Joe Bonamassa, Theolonious Monk, Allan Holdsworth.

carmour
08-31-2009, 07:24 PM
Heres a few good blues albums you should grab

Live At The Regal - B.B. King
Albert King with Stevie Ray Vaughan In Session
Shrine 69 - Fleetwood Mac
Eric Clapton with the Bluesbreakers
Hard Road - John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers
Born Under A Bad Sign - Albert King
Drinkin TNT and Smokin Dynamite - Buddy Guy & Junior Wells
Grab a Freddie King Compilation disc too, he's class
Dust My Broom - Elmore James

My personal favourites are the dudes who recorded at chess records.. Little Walter, Muddy Waters, Howling Wolf, Jimmy Rogers, Sonny Boy Williamson II.. They've got some chess record compilations out there with a lot of these guys on them afaik..

That should get you started

Jimmy94
09-01-2009, 12:58 AM
there's a recommendations thread at the top of the forum

guitarplaya322
09-01-2009, 11:30 PM
I'm trying to get my album collection up with some truly great albums so I have been asking around the band & artist forums for people to reccommend me some albums that should certaintly be in my record collection, So just suggest away

I honestly cannot say I am a listener of Jazz so am open to all branches of jazz, i'm hoping for it to be heavily jazz guitar based though, as I am interested in widening my musical ears which should hopefully end up in my musical fingers too.

The kind of blues I like that i have listened to is Eric Clapton, Jimi Hendrix and Richie Sambora's solo album.

Thanks!
Great jazz albums:

Giant Steps - Coltrane
Saxophone Collosus - Sonny Rollins
Time out - Brubeck
Somethin Else - Cannonball Aderly
Kind of blue and all of the miles davis quintet Cds - miles davis
blue train - coltrane
a love supreme - coltrane
Speak no evil - Shorter
Takin off - Herbie Hancock
Headhunters and thrust - Herbie
Sidewinder - Lee Morgan
The Savoy & Dial Studio Sessions - Charlie Parker stuff
the incredible jazz guitar - Wes montgomery
Tenor Madness - Sonny Rollins

Axegrinder#9
09-02-2009, 12:17 PM
everytime. every other time, someone will create a thread like this when there is a StIcKied Reccomendation thread on top.

*reported*