The Robert Cray Thread

PDA

View Full Version : The Robert Cray Thread

Skin the Sun
09-04-2009, 06:57 AM
I searched and was surprised to find there was no Robert Cray thread. He is one of my favourite guitarists, his playing and tone are phenomenal, and i love his vocals and songwriting.
Many of you will have heard him play at the 2004 Crossroads Festival, that's what first got me into him, i heard the beginning of Time Makes Two and i was just hooked.
Strong Persuader is my favourite album though, it's just got so many good songs on it.
Anybody else a fan?

dr_john
09-04-2009, 09:12 AM
yeah great guy. blues with a lot of soul mixed in.

i only have one album, midnight stroll, which is very good. i must take a listen to strong persuader, i've heard good reviews.

gabcd86
09-04-2009, 01:00 PM
I've only got The Heavy Picks Collection. Saw him in 2008 at the Montreux Jazz Festival with Buddy Guy. He puts on such a great show, I love him.

To be honest, I'm not a massive fan of his tone. More of his voice, and his phrasing, but the hyper-clean thing doesn't do much for me.

Still, he's great.

gangsta_rick
02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
I first heard him on a cd someone made my dad with various blues guitarists on it was something like a 20 track cd but only 3 songs worked all the way through and 1 of them 3 songs were Strong persuader by robert cray, i love the bit where he says 'she was just another notch on my guitar' it makes me have a little chuckle everytime i hear it, then a while ago i was digging in my cupboard just after we had moved house looking for an eric clapton cd and i found the album 'Strong persuader'. my favorites from that album are definatly strong persuader and smoking gun, also if anybody has a decent tab for strong persuader id be over the mood, ive tried the ones on here and none of them seem to be right, ive noticed theres not many Robery Cray tabs on here

Earthrug
02-27-2010, 12:47 PM
He's the real deal with a nice vocal and guitar style. His string attack is note worthy.

gangsta_rick
03-03-2010, 08:49 AM
i really want to learn to play strong persuader but the tabs on here are wrong, can anyone help me?