Reasons to start a blues band

PDA

View Full Version : Reasons to start a blues band

ericwtlaws
09-09-2009, 12:03 AM
I need loads of reasons to start a blues band in my high school besides just wanting to play the blues with someone other than my stereo system, this is one of those high school where making a band needs to be very formal (ie jazz and classical).

Edit: If you ever lived where I live you would know that finding something like a drummer or a bass player is near impossible however if you create a band in school finding skilled and talented people becomes extremely easy. And when I say formal I mean they don't allow things like rap or rock or punk,etc.

Martindecorum
09-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Fun! isnt that the point of playing music cause u do something cause its fun. i dont really get your question why do u need reasons

due 07
09-09-2009, 12:08 AM
People that play blues are usually really cool to hang out with.

TK1
09-09-2009, 12:10 AM
that is the most ridiculous thing ive ever heard. you play music because you enjoy playing music, you dont need a formal reason.

carmour
09-09-2009, 01:05 AM
So you've gotta make a case to your school about putting together a school blues band or something? wtf.. Why does the band have to have anything to do with the school? Anyway..

are you American?

If so, you could make the point that you want to preserve/perform a traditional music form which is intrinsic to the development of popular music in the world

Aside from that, it seems stupid to have to convince your school to have a blues band, if you have to ask that question you probably shouldn't be making a blues band lawl. Are you even ready to perform in a blues band or will you just be another ****ty mediocre teenage blues band which embarrasses the genre?

JilaX^
09-09-2009, 03:45 AM
Blues is the essential root to Jazz music, so forming a blues band might teach a good lesson to the people playing in your schools Jazz band...

Zeds.Ded
09-09-2009, 01:56 PM
haha do you think the forming of some of the greatest bands ever was a formal event?

apart from the manufactured ones obviously

CarpUK
09-09-2009, 05:11 PM
Are you even ready to perform in a blues band or will you just be another ****ty mediocre teenage blues band which embarrasses the genre?
I think it's safe to say without fear of contradiction that everyone who every played to blues was, at some stage, ****ty and mediocre.

carmour
09-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Of course they were all **** at some point, the defining difference is they didn't get on stage and perform until they were good.

ericwtlaws
09-09-2009, 09:25 PM
If you ever lived where I live you would know that finding something like a drummer or a bass player is near impossible however if you create a band in school finding people becomes extremely easy.

Zoot Allures
09-12-2009, 02:59 AM
Of course they were all **** at some point, the defining difference is they didn't get on stage and perform until they were good.

Blues isn't about making sure everyone plays 100% perfect standard 'blues music' performance. Blues is about feeling the music and getting that across.

Getting out there and putting your heart and soul into the music is what's important.

carmour
09-12-2009, 03:38 AM
Blues isn't about making sure everyone plays 100% perfect standard 'blues music' performance. Blues is about feeling the music and getting that across.

Getting out there and putting your heart and soul into the music is what's important.

Look man, I'm not touting 100% perfection. I'm saying, that just like with other forms of music, there is a general level of acceptability for playing live in pubs/professional venues. Sure, talent quests, open mic nights, battle of the bands, school performances and at stuff like that it's acceptable to have average/worse than average musicians/bands, but if someones paying to see your performance, or you're being paid to perform, you best be musically capable of playing a good show. A lot of people preach the whole blues 'feeling' thing as an excuse for playing **** blues. Sure, blues is about expressing emotions through music, but how far do you take this premise before you sacrifice musicality and actually sounding aurally pleasing?