My epiphone wont stay in tune!

PDA

View Full Version : My epiphone wont stay in tune!

AC/DCfan93
09-11-2009, 06:46 PM
This is pissing me off so much. I have an epiphone les paul 100 and everytime i bend on the G or B string it just rips it out of tune. I cant even play a song with it. Is there anything i can do to make it better besides getting new tuners?

sk8board3r
09-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I had an Epi LP-100 as my first guitar.
After a couple years the G string fell out of tune often,
but i could jam for a while before it did, so whatever it is yours seems pretty bad.

Bluesrocker5150
09-11-2009, 06:54 PM
besides changing the tuning machines, you should also make sure your strings are being installed properly. If your doing your own strings and have never been shown the correct way to do it your strings are probably slipping out of tune as a result.

Levi79
09-11-2009, 06:56 PM
this seems to be common with epis

Bluesrocker5150
09-11-2009, 07:00 PM
this seems to be common with epis

no, its not. I've played and owned plenty of epiphone guitars and I would say they are very functional instruments. although I've never dealt with an epi-100 or any of the lower level epis. I payed $600 and I have a very fine Les paul that looks great and plays just as well as some thousand dollar guitars, of which I also own (one).

Guitar2theface
09-11-2009, 07:21 PM
Restring it, and most importantly, do the following.

Get a pencil (a wooden pencil or something with a thick lead), and a .5mm lead. Detune all the strings so that you can pull them off the nut (between the headstock and fretboard)Use the pencil and rub some graphite into the nut. Stretch the strings a bit, and retune. After 2-3 retunings, you shouldn't go out of tune anymore.

FCurimao
09-11-2009, 07:49 PM
It sounds like he changed his strings and didn't install them the right way. There is a sticky thread on how to set-up your guitar, changing strings and some other things.

pedroskins
09-11-2009, 08:23 PM
String correctly.
I know when I drop to C on my LP granted it's the $129 junior, it goes out of tune very quickly

Tackleberry
09-11-2009, 11:28 PM
Its just whatever cheap tuners they use in LP100s. The one I have when I got it out of the box wouldnt stay in tune long enough to finish a song bending strings or not. You need some decent tuners, not the GFS knock offs or "economy" tuners they wont be any better than whats in it. The GFS "good as grovers" I bought a while back were the same asian brand as the stock epis, and didnt stay in tune any better.

nickdohle
09-11-2009, 11:32 PM
The tuners are just fine. It will be a waste of 50 bucks on your guitar if your not restringing it right. I had to watch a billion youtube videos and have a friend show me how to string it before i got my guitar to stay in tune. Now, no problems whatsoever

azn_guitarist25
09-12-2009, 01:37 AM
How old/new are the strings?

BlockFour
09-12-2009, 02:10 AM
Yeah, I'd bet it's either not strung right or the strings are getting stuck in the nut (or both). The nut on my Epi was giving me trouble until I tried the pencil lead trick (mentioned above). It helped quite a bit, not perfect but it's better.

Flying Couch
09-12-2009, 02:21 AM
Look up MrFlibble's thread on restringing.

SYLrules88
09-12-2009, 02:40 AM
ive never done that knot tying restring method and aside from the cheapest guitars i own(ed), ive never had an issue with them going out of tune often. however it might be a good idea for you to try it since its not looking like the ELP 100 is very high end (no offense). putting graphite on the nut is also a good idea but make sure you put enough on there for the bigger strings. i basically wrote a novel on the bone nut on my seven but im still having serious binding issues with the low B.

hope you get your issue solved. let us know. :rasta:

Callum_29
09-12-2009, 10:56 AM
My Epi LP studio's G goes slightly out of tune, but i bend on that ALOT, so that might be your problem?

Lil Macker
09-12-2009, 10:58 AM
Does it go sharp of flat? If it goes sharp, it's getting caught in the nut, if it goes flat, it's your tuners fault.

Bubonic Chronic
09-12-2009, 11:22 AM
I personally hate Epi. Just my taste.

I've had much better luck with Mexican strats. Just as cheap, but they are solid. They do not sound as nice as their American counterparts, but functionally they are fine.

You might go in the direction of some other brand, maybe a Japanese guitar. Epis are Gibson's cheapo models if I'm not mistaken, so you're better off with a knock-off brand's attempt, imho.

Then again I'm a bit older (30) and have the attitude that if it's not working for you, chunk it.

patbuck2
09-12-2009, 11:40 AM
The strings might be really old. That happens to me when I haven't changed strings in a while. You might want to get a different gauge of strings or something.