BDIII Round 2 - urik v strawforest007

PDA

View Full Version : BDIII Round 2 - urik v strawforest007

strawforest007
09-13-2009, 07:05 AM
Round 2 duel:

urik - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBBlLTR2am0

strawforest007 - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/strawforest007/music/play502125

Happy voting!

nico42
09-13-2009, 11:40 AM
And once again a top notch duel I'm gonna have to think about some more..

Jimmy94
09-13-2009, 07:12 PM
urik, I'm not the biggest fan of dire straits and this song doesn't change my perception of them... kind of boring imo. But that's neither here nor there because as usual your playing is fantastic. It's a step down from santana last week, really wish you'd picked a different song.

straw, I'm a big fan of your reserved approach in this song, playing what's right and not trying to overdue it. Your tone is great too.

going with straw, it's too bad both of you can't win because you're two of the best.

carmour
09-14-2009, 03:11 AM
lol @ dire straits being boring.. ah well

decent overall urik, but at points you aren't highlighting some of the chords very well, writing down the chord progression and getting familiar with the chord tones of each chord. You lost it a bit when it changed pace @ the 3;30 mark

straw's was kinda like easy rider music.. lol

salmon philippe
09-14-2009, 03:51 AM
Both ^playings are great and I loved seeing Urik on the Video !
But I thing I am going to prefer Straw's track that was entirely selfmade

zhilla
09-14-2009, 03:57 AM
They are both really good - I'm gonna go with straw as I enjoyed it more - I'm hoping I wasn't too biased by the dire straits thing (I kinda agree with jimmy on that subject, much to my hubby's disgust)

Jazzman91
09-14-2009, 09:36 AM
That's funny, I thought about doing Private Invastigations, too, but then had no time cause of a journey to Vienna.

On the tracks:
Urik: I must agree, cool to see you on video and great playing like in the first round. But as it is the problem with most Dire Straits songs, it is quite long and gets a bit boring over the time.
Strawforest: Cool track, has a great feeling on the solo. I like the short phrases and the trills (is it the word??) that make the song sound very interesting.

All in all, you are both great. At the moment I prefer Strawforests but I'm going to listen to it again tomorrow and vote later...

RubberSoul54321
09-14-2009, 03:11 PM
Not a Dire Straits fan either but that doesn't take away from the quality of Urik's playing - really excellent. Also, kudos for having the balls to go video!
On balance, I preferred the mood of straw's track so my vote goes there.

nico42
09-14-2009, 04:05 PM
It's a pity strawforest is kicking out so many good competetors..
Just like in round 1 I'm gonna vote for the other guy, just to keep the outcome more balanced, although I'm quite a fan of strawforests playing and his tone makes me wish I owned a strat even more.
Oh yeah and I don't just vote for urik because he's "the other guy" but because his playing is really emotional, touching and flawlessly performed - I hope to hear some more of you soon!

strawforest007
09-14-2009, 05:10 PM
It's a pity strawforest is kicking out so many good competetors..
Just like in round 1 I'm gonna vote for the other guy, just to keep the outcome more balanced, although I'm quite a fan of strawforests playing and his tone makes me wish I owned a strat even more.
Oh yeah and I don't just vote for urik because he's "the other guy" but because his playing is really emotional, touching and flawlessly performed - I hope to hear some more of you soon!

I adore my strat. I've not owned or played on many guitars but it seems I chose this one well, as with my Hofner verithin which seems to be a world apart from the strat (tone, playability etc). Since I got the Hofner it's certainly prooved to me how good the strat really is. Anyway, rambling on a bit. Here's what my track was based on (essentially a cover of a cover): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqsMKvkzdwc

I was expecting a much closer duel when I first listened/watched urik's track but it seems there aren't many dire straits fans around here, although maybe a more condensed track would've been more appealing as his tone and playing is absolute class.

urik
09-14-2009, 10:55 PM
I'm getting my ass kicked, but you guys make me glad :D. I for sure don't think of myself as one of the best ones. Aetherspear, Strawberry, and many others kick my ass by miles! Thanks for the comments!