best strumming guitar

PDA

View Full Version : best strumming guitar

damole
09-20-2009, 08:35 PM
i have a takamine eg523sc jumbo. over the weekend i got the chance to play my friends taylor (idk what), and after hearing the difference, im not quite certain that jumbos make such a good strumming guitar but rather dreadnaughts. correct me if im wrong, and tell my what is the best type

GODhimself37
09-20-2009, 09:00 PM
your title is very misleading. edit it to "best sounding acoustic"

personally its all what sounds good to you. my 100 crap yahama sounds better than my stepdads 1,000+ takamine in some cases

edit: 1,200 to be exact

captivate
09-20-2009, 09:01 PM
What type of body? It doesn't really matter because even if the body shapes are the same, two guitars made of different woods, bracing patterns, and materials will give you completely different sounds anyways. The best type is whatever you like best.

Lots of people like Dreadnought shaped guitars because they generally have more bass, which blends the chords more smoothly. Of course, there are many people who think that Dreadnoughts are too bassy and prefer a more balanced sound.

i_don't_know
09-20-2009, 09:13 PM
A large-bodied guitar with a sitka spruce top should be VERY hard to overdrive with heavy strumming. Assuming that's what you were talking about.

Natrone
09-21-2009, 12:13 AM
I love a dreadnaught bodied spruce top/rosewood back-sides guitar for strumming. Just the classic strummer tone to me. However, a nice cedar/mahogany combo sounds nice as well if your not an aggressive strummer (guilty)

patticake
09-21-2009, 02:41 AM
actually it's that particular jumbo that's not a good strumming guitar - i loved how it looked and tried to love the sound, but the guitar just didn't deliver. it's probably partly the laminate back and sides, but honestly i've heard betters-sounding guitars with laminate back and sides.

i was out at two guitar stores today and played many jumbos (i love 'em) that sounded as great strummed as plucked - often even better. i played 4 goodall jumbos, 1 taylor jumbo, 1 seagull mini jumbo, 1 martin jumbo and 3 gibson jumbos, and they all sounded good strummed - most sounded very good.

LifeIsABullet16
09-21-2009, 02:52 AM
i have a seagull portrait acoustic (spruce top, mahogany back and sides) and i think it always sounds good, but especially strumming open chords. keep in mind i prefer a treble-based sound to a bassy sound, so i went mahogany back and sides instead of rosewood. so thats definitely up to you, but i think that thing just plain sings.

whats your price range? makes a big difference. and what body style? i prefer a concert to a dreadnought, and jumbos really depend on the particular guitar.

damole
09-21-2009, 04:26 PM
my price range is about 600 dollars... does wood really matter for the tone?

Confusius
09-21-2009, 04:29 PM
Yes. A lot.

captivate
09-21-2009, 04:41 PM
my price range is about 600 dollars... does wood really matter for the tone?

The type of wood changes the tone by a LOT. Other things that have a huge influence on the tone are the bracing pattern(huge influence), strings, and saddle/nut material.

damole
09-21-2009, 04:54 PM
how does a dreadnaught sound compared to a grand auditorim?

i_don't_know
09-21-2009, 05:29 PM
The dread will be much louder and have a lot more bass. Because the body is larger, the top will also be able to be pushed harder without being overdriven.

patticake
09-21-2009, 10:01 PM
it depends on the dread and the ga. i played a goodall gc (even smaller than a ga) yesterday that blew the doors off almost every dread i've ever played.

how does a dreadnaught sound compared to a grand auditorim?

as far as wood making the difference, i've noticed it makes less difference as you go up in price, but it makes a lot of difference in the lower price ranges. still, the problem with the tak eg523sc isn't the wood - it's the laminate, as even for a laminate guitar, it sounds dead. i've played a gibson jumbo and a goodall jumbo that are made of the same woods and absolutely sing when played. admittedly they're all solid, but i've played plenty of laminate back and sides guitars that has life and sustain in the sound - dunno why that particular tak doesn't.

captivate
09-21-2009, 11:34 PM
it depends on the dread and the ga. i played a goodall gc (even smaller than a ga) yesterday that blew the doors off almost every dread i've ever played.

Have you ever tried a Collings Grand Concert? HOLY COW. That thing was louder than most dreads I've ever played. The projection was ridiculous.

patticake
09-21-2009, 11:43 PM
i'll check it out, thanks - i think they have one at mccabes right now.

Have you ever tried a Collings Grand Concert? HOLY COW. That thing was louder than most dreads I've ever played. The projection was ridiculous.

Tommy Walker
09-22-2009, 12:35 AM
For good strumming, I've always heard that dead soundboards and lots of bass are the best. Gibson's jumbos have been known for this, which is why the idea of jumbos being good strumming guitars probably came from.