Recording from scratch

PDA

View Full Version : Recording from scratch

herby190
09-21-2009, 05:41 PM
Well, my band currently has no recording equipment, at all. We don't even have a mic and P.A. I really don't like the idea of buying studio time, and although the band is pretty broke collectively, I want to get everything put into perspective so I know what we're working towards.

What should we get first? From what I've heard, I'd guess an audio interface, but what is it exactly? I have a rough idea, but not much. Also, what brand and model would you say is best for the money?

Same with getting a mic and PA; what would be best for the money? I mean, I don't want some crap system that will sound like the intercom at a public school, but taking cash into consideration, the absolute finest is obviously not worth it.

Also, what else would we need for just the minimum recordings? I mean, I'm cool with it sounding like we did everything out of a friends basement, as long as it doesn't sound like it's from his garage. ;)

nico42
09-21-2009, 05:50 PM
You can get some nice results with just an audio interface like a line6 toneport, an amp modeling software and a drum software, listen to the songs on my profile for examples.

herby190
09-21-2009, 06:20 PM
What's an amp modeling software? And I found the toneport you're talking about, and I'm wondering, how does it hook up to a computer from there?

twasbrilling
09-21-2009, 06:21 PM
multi-track?

herby190
09-21-2009, 06:24 PM
multi-track?What do you mean?

herby190
09-21-2009, 07:58 PM
So if I got a toneport from Line 6, would I need a P.A. to record the mic's, or would the preamp on the toneport take care of that? Because for the other instruments, we could just do a line-in. Also, what would be a cheaper, solid mic for vocals?

kyle62
09-21-2009, 08:05 PM
It's much much much cheaper (and gives better results) to go to a studio in cases like this.

herby190
09-21-2009, 08:15 PM
It's much much much cheaper (and gives better results) to go to a studio in cases like this.Really? I dunno.... I mean, I figured we would give it to a studio for remastering and all that, but I kind of like the idea of having our own equipment, so we can just record as we want to, as opposed to every minute hanging from a dollar sign.

Just in case, what should I look for in a studio? Any idea of a good price range? What should I expect as far as the equipment they have there, and what we should bring?

MetalBass 77
09-21-2009, 08:48 PM
Really? I dunno.... I mean, I figured we would give it to a studio for remastering and all that, but I kind of like the idea of having our own equipment, so we can just record as we want to, as opposed to every minute hanging from a dollar sign.

Just in case, what should I look for in a studio? Any idea of a good price range? What should I expect as far as the equipment they have there, and what we should bring?
usually in a pro studio you just bring your guitars and they have amps and drums set up.

herby190
09-21-2009, 08:55 PM
usually in a pro studio you just bring your guitars and they have amps and drums set up.Alright, I'll have to keep that in mind, but I'm still looking at home recording. What would be a good mic for the vocals? Also, there's a lot of models of Line 6 Toneports, would a cheap little one like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=250501955547&Category=41419&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2) suffice?

herby190
09-21-2009, 11:03 PM
I can't say I know much about microphones, what should I look for for a vocal mic? Would a condenser work, or a dynamic mic, or what?

Edit: Anyone know anything about these? (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SPC25-Condenser-Microphone?sku=277522)

basskaibi
09-22-2009, 05:29 PM
I can't say I know much about microphones, what should I look for for a vocal mic? Would a condenser work, or a dynamic mic, or what?

Edit: Anyone know anything about these? (http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-SPC25-Condenser-Microphone?sku=277522)

From what I've heard, a Shure 57 will do you good for guitar, vocals, and drums. I've used a Rock Band mic before for a demo single, though. xD

herby190
09-22-2009, 05:32 PM
The more I think about it, the more it seems like a professional studio is the right choice.... I mean, we would need a few hundred dollars worth the equipment, and we'd still have computer-made drums, and the production would all be to us...... I guess I'm going to start looking for a studio locally.

Thanks everyone, for all the help; even if I don't go that way, it's good that I've learned a bit about the equipment and such.