Help me with Jazz

PDA

View Full Version : Help me with Jazz

DavidBenyamin
09-26-2009, 02:09 PM
What are some good songs to learn/get into jazz music? I play guitar now 5 years, and I have 0 experience with jazz guitar. Can you guys recommend me something that has tabs or someting?

What should I start to listen to? i never really took the time to get into it, but now Im joining music college perhaps next year and I can choose between po, rock and jazz. Jazz is by far to most prestige of the 3, and its the one that attracts me the most. So how can I prepare myself best?

Dookie92
09-26-2009, 02:16 PM
Get a real book man.

k4rma.p0lice
09-26-2009, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't start by learning jazz tunes because you need some knowledge of chord progressions and jazz feel before you start soloing or comping over progressions.

I would start by making sure you know all your major scales in every key and the notes that make up each scale (i.e. F major: F G A Bb C D E). The major scale will serve as the basis for some of the other scales you should learn including the mixolydian (dominant) and the dorian (minor) scales.

While you are learning those I would consider listening to a lot of jazz in order to get an idea for the feel. Some artists that I recommend are: Kenny Burrell, Charlie Christian, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery, John Scofield but don't limit yourself to just jazz guitarists.

After you have your scales down then I would start simple with a 12 bar blues progression. You can start out using the blues scale to get comfortable (because it works with all of the chords in the progression). But eventually you want to shift to a more melodic approach and really emphasize the chord changes by using the appropriate scales on the chord changes.

DavidBenyamin
09-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Thnx,

I already know a bit of theory and I know the major scale and all the 7 modes. And I already have experience with playing blues mostly in jams. So with that basis arent there any songs I can start to work with? Even only to jam easly on, like just improvise with the major scale on it to get the feel? Jazz really is kind o a misteryland to me atm.

strawforest007
09-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Have you tried the suggested listening thread?

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1119290

Axegrinder#9
09-27-2009, 12:06 PM
well firstly, LISTENING to the greats is the first step. You've got to listen and listen some more, and then try to open up your "inner ear" to those sounds and make a conscious effort to interpret the harmony. No I'm not talking about looking up the sheet music for the song, and analyzing the theory behind it. I'm saying, just try and connect with the harmony and the melodic ideas, on a more abstract (and I hate to use the word) "emotional" level. I've often noticed that when I'm listening to a really cooking jazz tune that I dig - I'll be humming out melodies in my head. Try to do that, and even better if you can actually vocalize them.

Thnx,

I already know a bit of theory and I know the major scale and all the 7 modes. And I already have experience with playing blues mostly in jams.

now if you already know and understand that stuff - just go off on something y'know? Chalk up a hip progression and then start playing. The idea is to be conscious and aware of what you're playing. There is always going to be a tension force of sorts between what you hear in your head, and what comes out of the amp. You have to use the available tools at your disposal (be that music theory, well-developed technique, gizmos and stompboxes, recording/editing) to be as faithful as possible to what your hear inside of you, and what you ultimately play. THAT is perhaps the hardest of things to accomplish, and that in my opinion is something that all the great jazz cats did really well.

When I play a jazz standard, I first go through the motions of learning the song physically; and then taking the time (meaning sitting down with pencil + paper) to analyze what is harmonically going down.

Thereafter the process of me playing the tune, becomes sort of a re-interpretation of a past experience. You have to realize your place in the tune, and give credence to your understanding of it (which would be unique unto yourself) as well respecting the tradition that it came out of. It's almost becomes a quest of finding out what the original composer/musician did not say, but rather implied through his/her playing of the tune. Thereafter my duty becomes almost to highlight the other hidden implications of the song (theoretically you can get into chord substitutions, extension, coloring, using different voicings etc), while at the same time clearly outlining the basic melodies (of course you don't HAVE to do that).

I actually wanted to say something more to that point - but I guess I got derailed into a lengthy abstraction. Just remember to really THINK about what you're playing when and why - and what that means in the greater context of things. The way you look at it - whether through traditional schooling, or your own DIY method of understanding music is ultimately immaterial because you're in the end trying to bridge the proverbial gap between theory and practice and I think it's most important to come to that point, through your own process whatever that be. You must interpret the vocabulary of music in a way that makes sense to YOU!

after that, just shred away baby.

willwelsh816
10-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Wes montgomery is the perfect way to lean you into some jazz, and outta the blues. WARNING: you MUST use your pinky ;)

guitarplaya322
10-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Wes montgomery is the perfect way to lean you into some jazz, and outta the blues. WARNING: you MUST use your pinky ;)
lol, wes montgomery didnt!

willwelsh816
10-06-2009, 06:49 PM
for jazz, the pinky is almost always needed, and have you ever seen wes play octaves, lol, he used his pinky for that :)