The Great Debate

PDA

View Full Version : The Great Debate

handbanana
10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
Since all we do in multiple threads as of lately is argue about the best Converge album, I think the best way for us to do it is in Poll format instead of arguing.

nashawa
10-08-2009, 12:36 PM
In order (imo)
1. Jane Doe
2. Axe to Fall
3. You Fail Me
4. Petitioning the Empty Sky
5. When Forever comes Crashing
6. No Heroes
7. Poacher Diaries (I enjoyed Agoraphobic Nosebleed's side much more...)
8. Caring and Killing

Jane Doe is just perfection...

handbanana
10-08-2009, 12:45 PM
my list would be very different from yours

cakeschmammert
10-08-2009, 01:00 PM
1. Jane Doe
2. Axe to Fall
3. Petitioning the Empty Sky or You Fail Me
4. No Heroes
5. Caring and Killing
6. When Forever Comes Crashing

haven't gotten ahold of the poacher's diaries yet.

nashawa
10-08-2009, 01:05 PM
my list would be very different from yours
Many of them could be interchangeable, depending on my mood...

cakeschmammert
10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
definitely very interchangable
my list is made up of what i'm into the most right now
it will probably change within the next few weeks once i've overplayed axe to fall

Manos15
10-08-2009, 01:07 PM
Why is there no "Converge is boring" option?

nashawa
10-08-2009, 01:11 PM
Because that's a stupid thing to say

handbanana
10-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Mine is something like

1.No Heroes
2.Petitioning The Empty Sky
3.Axe To Fall
4.Jane Doe
5.Caring and Killing
6.The Poacher Diaries
7.You Fail Me
8.When Forever Comes Crashing

EDIT:I think Ave to Fall and Jane Doe are about even for me right now

handbanana
10-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Comon 77 views and only 4 votes

aggiefan33
10-08-2009, 03:40 PM
i could never put these albums in order, although i will say jane doe is my favorite.

JxD
10-08-2009, 04:04 PM
I can get behind this statement.

Don't get me wrong, Converge has put out some good music, but way too many people act like they're the end all be all of hardcore music. Way too much hype behind this band.

alm0st a skat3r
10-08-2009, 04:42 PM

Don't get me wrong, Converge has put out some good music, but way too many people act like they're the end all be all of hardcore music. Way too much hype behind this band.
this

waldorphPRS41
10-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Exactly. The only album I have ever liked by them is the new one so I voted for that one.

nashawa
10-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Urrrrg
Blasphemy!

I honestly can't see how people think they're boring, but I agree that too much hype does no one any favours...

Mine is something like

1.No Heroes
2.Petitioning The Empty Sky
3.Axe To Fall
4.Jane Doe
5.Caring and Killing
6.The Poacher Diaries
7.You Fail Me
8.When Forever Comes Crashing

EDIT:I think Ave to Fall and Jane Doe are about even for me right now

Really? No Heroes is your fave? Huh...
It's all good music, I'm not criticizing.

Internal Chaos
10-08-2009, 05:15 PM
No real order, but top three is

1. Petitioning the Empty Sky
2. No Heroes
3. Jane Doe

tomohawkjoe
10-08-2009, 05:29 PM
1. No Heroes
2-5. Unloved and Weeded Out/ Jane Doe/ You Fail Me/ Petitioning The Empty Sky

slorggetti
10-08-2009, 06:12 PM
Needs more love for You Fail Me. Don't know why I love that album so much, though....

deathnote29
10-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Jane Doe is definitely my favorite. Axe to Fall and You Fail Me are right behind it.

handbanana
10-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Urrrrg
Blasphemy!

I honestly can't see how people think they're boring, but I agree that too much hype does no one any favours...

Really? No Heroes is your fave? Huh...
It's all good music, I'm not criticizing.

it's all good, thats why i made this thread

Bignose
10-09-2009, 03:45 AM
ehhh... I have a different favourite depending on my mood. WFCC is probably the one i've listened to most... but I can't say it's the best album. Thinking about it, Jane Doe is probably the best. I'd be willing to say Axe to Fall has a good shot at it, but I'd need a great deal of time with it in order to fully appreciate it like I do the other albums.

Monolith295
10-09-2009, 09:36 AM
I've only heard about 4 albums, but my favorite of those is probably You Fail Me.

+}-136-{+
10-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Because it's irrelevant. The poll asks for which Converge album you believe is the best, not for your opinion on Converge.

Haymaker17
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
Petitioning The Empty Sky
Jane Doe
When Forever Comes Crashing
Poacher Diaries
Unloved and Weeded Out
No Heroes
You Fail Me

for some reason i like older converge better. havent listened to the new one enough to vote on it.

technicolour
10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
All my favourite converge songs are on different albums ):

1. No heroes
2. Jane doe
3. petitioning
4. axe t fall
5. you fail me

pmeg568c
10-09-2009, 01:56 PM

name one other band that has put out an awesome hardcore album every 2-3 years for almost 20 years. You won't be able to. Name a hardcore band that sounds like converge, you won't be able to, and then try to name a hardcore band that does something different and lasts more than a few albums, and that is why converge is the end all of hardcore bands.

you can't just throw around the word hype at a band that has basically single-handedly put together the best hardcore/metalcore acts on a label, and kept that style of hardcore around all these years. They really are gods and there really isnt anyway around that. It sucks if people cant get into converge, but honestly, if you can't get into converge, you are listening to music wrong. No hardcore band writes heavier music than converge.

but anyway, my list goes

1. Jane Doe
2. You Fail Me
3. Axe to Fall
4. When Forever Comes Crashing
5. Petitioning The Empty Sky
6. No Heroes
7. Caring and Killing

JxD
10-09-2009, 03:40 PM
name one other band that has put out an awesome hardcore album every 2-3 years for almost 20 years. You won't be able to. Name a hardcore band that sounds like converge, you won't be able to, and then try to name a hardcore band that does something different and lasts more than a few albums, and that is why converge is the end all of hardcore bands.

you can't just throw around the word hype at a band that has basically single-handedly put together the best hardcore/metalcore acts on a label, and kept that style of hardcore around all these years. They really are gods and there really isnt anyway around that. It sucks if people cant get into converge, but honestly, if you can't get into converge, you are listening to music wrong. No hardcore band writes heavier music than converge.
The first band that comes to mind is Integrity, they fit the first of your criteria comfortably. They might not sound like Converge but they have been just as prolific and they've definitely tried different things (unfortunately one such example is Integrity 2000, a techno-ish album), albeit with varying amounts of success.

Converge definitely is a unique band and nobody can deny their talent. I still feel they're overrated though. The albums tend to drag, I even have trouble listening to Jane Doe all the way through and I consider it my favorite (converge record). After several minutes of listening to "experimentation" I get bored and put on something that I can listen to front and back. Jacob Bannon's voice can irk me on occasion as well, there's just something about it that puts me off. That doesn't keep me from enjoying some Converge here and there, I just don't obsess over it. I completely disagree with your last statement, I have definitely heard hardcore bands I would consider heavier than Converge.

pmeg568c
10-09-2009, 03:48 PM
The first band that comes to mind is Integrity, they fit the first of your criteria comfortably. They might not sound like Converge but they have been just as prolific and they've definitely tried different things (unfortunately one such example is Integrity 2000, a techno-ish album), albeit with varying amounts of success.

Converge definitely is a unique band and nobody can deny their talent. I still feel they're overrated though. The albums tend to drag, I even have trouble listening to Jane Doe all the way through and I consider it my favorite (converge record). After several minutes of listening to "experimentation" I get bored and put on something that I can listen to front and back. Jacob Bannon's voice can irk me on occasion as well, there's just something about it that puts me off. That doesn't keep me from enjoying some Converge here and there, I just don't obsess over it. I completely disagree with your last statement, I have definitely heard hardcore bands I would consider heavier than Converge.

close, but integrity was not very consistent, as you pointed out. I'll give you that one though. I understand people's qualms with the vocals . I've just always thought of converge as a "musicians" hardcore band which is why I obsess over them, since there aren't too many hardcore bands you could put that title too.

technicolour
10-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Am I the only one who loves Jacob's vocals? they're like...perfect to me.

Manos15
10-09-2009, 10:09 PM
Integrity is like a hundred times better than Converge.