What is so terrible about the breakdown?

PDA

View Full Version : What is so terrible about the breakdown?

ConfederateAxe
10-08-2009, 10:06 PM
I really don't get it. Why are breakdowns so frowned upon? Are song dynamics not in style anymore?

Honestly, I think the breakdown is an excellent opportunity to incorporate some incredibly melodic and powerful passages.

saxaxe
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Breakdowns can be great as long as they're not used the way most deathcore bands use them. Constant, repetitive, unoriginal, downtuned chugging breakdowns are stupid cop outs when you've run out of ideas.
That said, there are several threads on the topic already.

octavarium78
10-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Most bands overdue them.

diofan88
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
i think they are supposed to be the new guitar solos ...

but they fail horribly in that respect

btw, i dont listen to much "core"
but i have never once heard a break down that impressed me and made me go, "Wow, those are good musicians"

aggiefan33
10-08-2009, 10:12 PM
mostly because people like you clog up the forum with threads about them.

romencer17
10-08-2009, 10:43 PM
i have never once heard a break down that impressed me and made me go, "Wow, those are good musicians"

then you need to listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOQuX7pCiPo

starts around 1:50, your ears will thank me

ConfederateAxe
10-08-2009, 10:45 PM
mostly because people like you clog up the forum with threads about them.

People like me? What do you know about me?

I just think it's dumb to crack on breakdowns because it's t3h metulz thing to do.

technicolour
10-08-2009, 10:46 PM
it's not dynamic if the entire album is a breakdown.

romencer17
10-08-2009, 10:52 PM
I just think it's dumb to crack on breakdowns because it's t3h metulz thing to do.

if you haven't noticed, we only make fun of shitty deathcore breakdowns and such. Real breakdowns by bands such as Cryptopsy and Suffocation are fucking amazing.

ethan_hanus
10-08-2009, 10:53 PM
i think they are supposed to be the new guitar solos ...

but they fail horribly in that respect

btw, i dont listen to much "core"
but i have never once heard a break down that impressed me and made me go, "Wow, those are good musicians"

Breakdowns arent supposed to be a solo or anything like that, there supposed to be kinda like an interlude to a song, to set the mood for the next part of the song. Simple and heavy are usually how breakdowns are supposed to be, it gives a song great dynamics, becuase if a song just goes intro, verse, chours, verse, chours, verse, chours, solo, chours, end, kinda bland, right? Add a breakdown in there to change it up a bit makes it more interesting.

And "With My Mind" by Cold has one of the best breakdowns I've ever heard in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiMpY_NJQJE Listen to it, you will be suprised.

diofan88
10-08-2009, 10:56 PM
if you haven't noticed, we only make fun of shitty deathcore breakdowns and such. Real breakdowns by bands such as Cryptopsy and Suffocation are fucking amazing.

ahhah
dude, nice

bass solo!

ok you win!

xRenegadEx
10-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Some bands breakdown and interlude to another lmao.

MustangMan311
10-09-2009, 01:19 AM
Meh, nothing if they're done well.

But seriously, for the most part, the people in the hardcore forum dislike breakdowns based on what genre and band they come from, so don't listen to them. They think because it's DIY and d-beat, it's immediately set apart from everything else, regardless of quality.

PhobiXa
10-09-2009, 02:18 AM
Meh, nothing if they're done well.

But seriously, for the most part, the people in the hardcore forum dislike breakdowns based on what genre and band they come from, so don't listen to them. They think because it's DIY and d-beat, it's immediately set apart from everything else, regardless of quality.

Hate Christ. Love D-Beat.

That is all.

pistols
10-09-2009, 02:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t0GRH3yoiI

here's another good one. starts around 1:27, there's another one that starts around the 3 minute mark, goes into a riff, then starts again. amazing song and video too.

romencer17
10-09-2009, 02:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t0GRH3yoiI

here's another good one. starts around 1:27, there's another one that starts around the 3 minute mark, goes into a riff, then starts again. amazing song and video too.

:cheers:

Emperor! :headbang:

breakdown123
10-09-2009, 06:02 PM
Their not bad per say. Just ridiculously over used.