What genre is this?

PDA

View Full Version : What genre is this?

One on Sunday
10-11-2009, 06:08 PM
Hey guys, I was just wondering exactly what genre bands like blessthefall, Attack Attack!, A Skylit Drive, and other bands with that generic sing-scream combo belong to. I've heard them referred to as post-hardcore, but I've also heard that that's not true.

Before you guys start flaming, let me make it clear that I don't like these bands, so don't waste a post trying to be funny and saying my taste is sh*t.

Another note, the genre isn't "sh*t." We already know that's what they are :p:. however, i do enjoy the occasional attack attack song...

So lets keep the rest of the thread flame-free.

Thanks

Tedward
10-11-2009, 06:15 PM
*home-page troll*

All I know is that "post" denotes a complete lack of conventional song-structure, instead building towards climaxes ... and stuff...

but I also know that there are a lot of bands called "post-hardcore" and "post-punk" incorrectly, so maybe that's what they are.

I didn't help at all. Sorry.

alm0st a skat3r
10-11-2009, 06:29 PM
metalcore? i wouldn't call them post-hardcore because when i think of post-hardcore i think of bands like embrace, fugazi, glassjaw, etc...

Valderama
10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
metalcore? i wouldn't call them post-hardcore because when i think of post-hardcore i think of bands like embrace, fugazi, glassjaw, etc...
They certainly have certain elements of Post-Hardcore, but not significant amounts. Out of all the bands there I would say that blessthefall are the most "post-hardcore".
All the bands employ musical techniques and devices inspired by bands from the New Wave of Metalcore that occured a few years ago (AILD, KSE, Trivium) - of which there is a huge amount.

I suppose Metalcore fits fine. Not sure about post-punk, i could be misinterpreting what post punk actually is, but none of the bands contain "punky" elements. At least not punk as I know it.

thesceneislame
10-11-2009, 07:56 PM
medio-core

but seriously, theyre metalcore or something like that

alm0st a skat3r
10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
yeah what valderama said haha

Veil Of Osiris
10-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I'd say they're metalcore. Like Valderama said, Blessthefall is the only one close to Post-Hardcore.

One on Sunday
10-11-2009, 08:52 PM
I'd say they're metalcore. Like Valderama said, Blessthefall is the only one close to Post-Hardcore.
Just wondering, what elements do they have that make them more post-hardcore?

Thanks for the replies, I've always thought that metalcore was more of a August Burns Red, Misery Signals, As I Lay Dying-type stuff. I guess this is just another end of the metalcore spectrum?

RentACar
10-11-2009, 11:05 PM
I suppose Metalcore fits fine. Not sure about post-punk, i could be misinterpreting what post punk actually is, but none of the bands contain "punky" elements. At least not punk as I know it.
Watch out, I made the "post-punk mistake" a few years ago, saying MCR were post-punk. Post Punk is new wave that was influenced by punk. You could say Joy Division, Devo, The Fall, etc were post punk. Think gloomy '80s music.

I've also been wondering where do these guys fall; no one takes them serious enough to classify them. If you want to break Metalcore into "waves" like punk is, you ould say this is third wave metalcore, if you consider late '80s early '90s classics as first wave, bands like ETID, AILD, Dillinger, etc as second wave, and the new christian, sing-scream br00tal/soft metalcore would be third wave, sort of like how 3rd wave punk is pretty much pop-punk.

saxaxe
10-12-2009, 12:33 AM
It's really girly metalcore. Pop-metalcore, if you will.
To hear the difference between this and post-hardcore, listen to bands like Embrace, At the Drive In, Glassjaw and Fugazi. Those are true post-hardcore bands.

lordofthefood1
10-12-2009, 01:04 AM
Crabcore / Pop-Mosh / idk

technicolour
10-12-2009, 02:12 AM
bubblegum brodown

kurtrip
10-12-2009, 03:29 AM
popcore
i wish everyone would use this term so that all crappy bands wouldnt be called screamo, emo, posthardcore or metalcore anymore.

IcePh0enix
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
They're all really watered down metalcore. Take real metalcore, add in some pop style vocals, some recycled melodic death metal riffs, and a ****load of breakdowns and there you go.

PhobiXa
10-12-2009, 10:24 AM
They are metalcore, but I hate putting those bands in the same genre as Converge, Botch, Cave In etc.

I would honestly just call it pop rock with screaming,

lespaul1216
10-12-2009, 10:45 AM
attack attack fits under the 'gay' category

but anyway, i just call them post-hardcore, cuz that's the best name i can think of

handbanana
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
scenecore, mallcore, popcore whichever one you liek best

recklessnick
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
crapcore

handbanana
10-12-2009, 01:33 PM
nu-metalcore

Cedence
10-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Until last night, I didn't know that this whole "Crabcore" phenomenon actually existed. My pop punk band played some weird show with one of these bands. Choreographed stage moves, terrible music, two singers, "flippy hair", the whole nine yards. One of the singers broke part of the fence in front of the venue, was endlessly given **** by everyone for the rest of the night.

speakers
10-13-2009, 12:24 AM
nomorecore

-tempest-
10-13-2009, 12:16 PM
metalcore, theyre(the bands in the OP) degrading the genre in my opinion.

off topic: i wish new metalcore bands(like the ones in the OP) would use less generic breakdowns and riffs, i would like to find a good metalcore band the can sing and scream as well as they do on record.

handbanana
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
good metalcore doesn't exist anymore. except maybe converge

-tempest-
10-13-2009, 12:33 PM
good metalcore doesn't exist anymore. except maybe converge
i can agree with that to a point. i do like some modern metalcore bands.

handbanana
10-13-2009, 12:38 PM
id say there are some good metal influenced hardcore bands out there(burdens, pulling teeth, iron age, etc.) but actually good metalcore bands in 2009 are few and far between

-tempest-
10-13-2009, 12:43 PM
indeed

saxaxe
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Shai Hulud, Integrity, Coalesce, Cave In, Misery Signals, Poison The Well.
None of them are new, but they're all still around/playing shows, so I'd say metalcore isn't completely dead.
There are some decent nu-metalcore bands too. August Burns Red comes to mind, but that's a controversial opinion.

handbanana
10-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Shai Hulud, Integrity, Coalesce, Cave In, Misery Signals, Poison The Well.
None of them are new, but they're all still around/playing shows, so I'd say metalcore isn't completely dead.
There are some decent nu-metalcore bands too. August Burns Red comes to mind, but that's a controversial opinion.

yeah but pretty much every single band you named was a band that was around at the beggining/good part of metalcore, and just happened to be the few bands that were very original and still survive in the scene. All of these bands carry a lot of respect as they are whats left of now a dying genre. I really wouldn't say ABR is that original of a band but they are all amazing musicians and it really show in their music, I can still get down with ABR every once in a while, they are a great band for what they do

saxaxe
10-13-2009, 05:07 PM
yeah but pretty much every single band you named was a band that was around at the beggining/good part of metalcore, and just happened to be the few bands that were very original and still survive in the scene. All of these bands carry a lot of respect as they are whats left of now a dying genre. I really wouldn't say ABR is that original of a band but they are all amazing musicians and it really show in their music, I can still get down with ABR every once in a while, they are a great band for what they do
Yea, they were all around in the primo days of metalcore, but they're still around, so that shows that metalcore isn't completely dead haha.
But yea, as far as new ones go, there's pretty much nil.

JxD
10-13-2009, 05:16 PM
There are still some heavy emo bands kicking around that hearken back to the glory days of metalcore (ex. Zann, Burial Year, Trainwreck). The only thing is that the metalcore influence often gets taken for melodic crust influence (aka His Hero is Gone aping). Not to mention there are still some Integrity worship bands kicking around.

handbanana
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
There are still some heavy emo bands kicking around that hearken back to the glory days of metalcore (ex. Zann, Burial Year, Trainwreck). The only thing is that the metalcore influence often gets taken for melodic crust influence (aka His Hero is Gone aping). Not to mention there are still some Integrity worship bands kicking around.

their are also a lot of integrity worship bands that are really bad as well

tancanada
10-13-2009, 07:04 PM
AA! is synthcore.

thesceneislame
10-13-2009, 08:23 PM
AA! is synthcore.
i thought they were crabcore

One on Sunday
10-13-2009, 09:52 PM
eh, so i guess they would be called (watered-down) metalcore. It just feels weird to group them in with Converge, Misery signals, and other legit metalcore bands. The sound is pretty different imo

tancanada
10-13-2009, 10:05 PM
i thought they were crabcore

ololol
nah

handbanana
10-13-2009, 11:27 PM
attack attack is the only real crabcore band, anyone else is just a poser.......

brad5992
10-13-2009, 11:46 PM
immortal are the only real crabcore band

saxaxe
10-13-2009, 11:50 PM
immortal are the only real crabcore band
Backed.
http://www.metalexpressradio.com/images/news/images/immortal.jpg

thesceneislame
10-14-2009, 12:04 AM
hahahah

ololol
nah
oh, the crab ****in core shirts could have fooled me.

Haymaker17
10-14-2009, 12:12 AM
love the fact that i opened this thread and people are talkin about shai hulud and cave in

edit: and immortal

brad5992
10-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Haha Sax that was the picture i was thinking of.

saxaxe
10-14-2009, 12:46 AM
:haha I figured.

tancanada
10-14-2009, 09:57 PM
hahahah

oh, the crab ****in core shirts could have fooled me.

dude where can you get those at? i cant find em anywhere

nashawa
10-15-2009, 12:57 AM
bubblegum brodown
this...
well done, my good man

Jako215
10-16-2009, 03:20 PM
Electronic Core aka:Crabcore
Crabcore can be considered a sub genre of Pop Metalcore or Post hardcore. The main difference from these genres is the use of synthesizers and that Crabcore has more of a hip hop influence and sometimes contains the use of Auto Tune Pitch Correction effects during vocals. Crabcore can tend to be even whinnier than that of post hardcore.

General Recomendations
Attack Attack
Brokencyde
I See Stars
Sky Eats Airplane
Breath Carolina
House Vs Hurricane
Abandon All Ships
Family Force 5
Asking Alexandria
One Morning Left
Watchout Theres Ghosts
Sink This Ship
I Set My Friends On Fire

thesceneislame
10-16-2009, 04:17 PM
dude where can you get those at? i cant find em anywhere
idfk
i hate attack attack

BGSM
10-16-2009, 11:38 PM
medio-core

:haha:

well played

Hanzi_G
10-17-2009, 06:13 PM
I would just call it pop music, to be honest (not saying that it's a bad thing).

One on Sunday
10-17-2009, 06:55 PM
"Pop" music has a general sound. I don't think any of those bands fit that sound at all; just because the bands aren't as heavy as other bands, it wouldn't make them in the pop genre

Valderama
10-18-2009, 08:02 AM
"Pop" music has a general sound. I don't think any of those bands fit that sound at all; just because the bands aren't as heavy as other bands, it wouldn't make them in the pop genre
+1

Pop music refers to Popular Music, i.e. Anything in the Top 40.
In ten years time, if Metal became immensely commericially successful, and ruled the Charts - that would be considered Pop Music.

output24
10-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Metalcore.

Attack Attack though created a new kind of genre: 'Sh*t'