Mathcore/ProgCore WIP [GP4/5/MIDI]

PDA

View Full Version : Mathcore/ProgCore WIP [GP4/5/MIDI]

ch715dallat
10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
Hey guys havent been on this in like a year or something anyways, heres a work in progress that im gonna try finish in the next month or so, it will be alot longer but here is the main start of it and the outro.

Its influenced by the styles of The Arusha Accord, BTBAM, SikTh, Born Of Osiris etc...

There will be alot more written in after the 'Counter Melody' and before the Outro obviously :rolleyes: so i just stuck in some ****ty drum transition for now anyways, have a listen and see what you think guys.

EDIT:
heres a rough vid of me playing it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimNGGtr_NI

Also hear some of it with real instruments i recorded a rough sample version a while back, before i changed alot of it but its on my profile anyways. It sounds alot heavier. called mathcore smaple or something

:cheers:

DEATHPANDA
10-12-2009, 11:39 AM
Progcore? I think a bit of puke just came up. Anyway, it's actually really good, I would just call it mathcore.

ch715dallat
10-12-2009, 02:38 PM
The genre isnt exactly important is it, shorter than writing progressive hardcore/metalcore

21Fretter
10-12-2009, 06:44 PM
The clean part comes in a bit to early for me. I was expecting some metalzzz for a while more :(

Everything written so far is good though.

silhouettica
10-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Critting as I listen:

The opening melody before 7/8 is awesome. I love the counterpoint guitars, and the drums actually give it some texture behind it. Obviously it needs bass, which I think could be a really cool tapping line or something, but you've got a solid foundation to work with there. Did I mention I really like the drums? They're really well done.

The 7/8 and Transition parts were decent, and kept the song going, but I think it faded into the CleanMath too soon. You totally could've done more before then, it really had potential.

CleanMath was cool, I liked the riff, and your time signatures flowed well. When it became the "MathChug", that sounded good as well, as did the CounterMelody.

The whole Outrotransition/Outromelody section sounded very metalcorey. Not necessarily a good or bad thing, but I think the drums could've been improved over this section.

Overall, it's a slew of good ideas, but it needs bass, and possibly a bit more structure.

C4C?
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1213583
Thanks.

silhouettica
10-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Heh, you asked me to crit your piece after I already had. It's all good though.

DaddyTwoFoot
10-13-2009, 08:37 PM
This is your best piece yet, Chris. It's definitely the most melodic and cohesive while still keeping the time signature changes. It could use a bit of expansion though.

DragTheWaters11
10-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Very good, and very interesting to say the least. This is a really catchy piece that you've written. I'm very surprised, the only problem I have to say is the intro is a little off sounding. Maybe it's just my computer lagging a little bit, which it tends to do, but it sounded like a few notes were trying to be played over top of each other [Bars 3 - 6].

However, very catchy, maybe a little bit too high tempo in the intro. 9 / 10

Geiger89
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Um, didn't think it was very good. There was alot going on but it didn't really seem to gel into something substantial. Most of it sounded like random notes and the odd time sigs, while flowing, felt very forced. More like you wrote them on guitar pro to be in 11/8 rather than you wrote something and it happened to be in 11/8, do you know what I mean? That's something people getting into odd time sigs do but it doesn't ever sound that good. That's what it felt like to me anyway.

The best part for me was definately the chugs, which is alot, because usually chugs riffs sound all the same but yours had a bit of flair, which was nice.

ch715dallat
10-15-2009, 11:15 AM
actually it was all written on guitar and then put into guitar pro, i thought the start flowed pretty well, if you listen to the recorded version on my profile from a while ago it flows alot better.

ismails2004
10-15-2009, 01:51 PM
wow dude you rock!
i like it :)

ch715dallat
10-15-2009, 07:33 PM
thanks alot man, any ideas for improvement?

Edit: Just made a few changes to it, the 7/8 riff with chugs and the chugs behind the 4/4,4/4,11/8 riff. also a transition into the counter melody

ill hopefully get a bit of time next week to make a bit of progress on this song

chexered
10-15-2009, 09:28 PM
that pretty legit,
i really liked it

btbam is amazing :P

crit mine? http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1216347

haha

ch715dallat
10-16-2009, 05:56 AM
not exactly a crit, but ok

JackBowen
10-16-2009, 01:23 PM
sweet song overall, outro is great, however the first 20 bars were my favourite, sounds like evita, if youve heard of them.
outro transition is cool, i would try to make it a bit more natural though
clean is cool aswell, take advantage of it and add in some more melodic and interesteing notes

Great piece though

ch715dallat
10-16-2009, 04:40 PM
never heard of the band nope, but ill go check them out, the outro transition as i said in my first post is not supposed to just be drums, i have probably a good 2-3 minutes of music to put between the counter melody and the outro

VengeanceIsMine
10-17-2009, 09:39 PM
I'm gay for most prog and mathcore so I was expecting something really good and what I got was hardly satisfying.

To begin with, your time signature changes were nice and smooth but nothing about them really wooed me.

I feel the clean math part was really lacking even though I like the main gist of the melody. It feels really weak and thin, possibly due to it's lack of bass guitar and the lack of significant drum parts in it. The clean parts to me in these genres should be breaks that envelop you with a different idea and drag you away from the chaos and into a hidden sort of beauty but your break was really weak and disappointing. The main melody grabbed my attention because it's quite nice but I would have liked for these to have been something else going on rhythmically perhaps that would have made the part a lot more solid.

The breakdown-ish part after the clean part that leads into the counter melody was quite nice. This is clearly one of the instances where having a breakdown worked out for the better of the song. The counter melody itself was pretty cool too and then it all goes to shit.

After the counter melody I began to wonder if it really added anything to the song having another breakdown. The melody above it was quite nice as were most of your melodies in the song but the breakdown seemed rather redundant.

If you had to include another breakdown wouldn't it have been much better to have included a solo towards the end of the song a la Mordecai by Between the Buried and Me. With your sense of melody and the overall feel of the song a solo of that variety would have had your average prog fan jizzing in their minds.

It really irritated me that the latter half of your song was one big breakdown. This is where a lot of mainstream bands struggle to stay relevant. The way you chose to execute that breakdown in your composition is repetitive and redundant regardless of how awesome the melodies were.

All of the this may sound harsh but I say it not to insult but because I feel that this is a good song and there is definitely room for improvement. 6/10.

ch715dallat
10-18-2009, 04:38 PM
no worries man, but as i sad, that outro will not be coming so early in the song, i will have at least a couple more minutes of music to write in before that and possible now an outro solo over it.

also its still a work in progress so any criticism is taken on board and i will try to fill out that clean part with a second guitar or something to make it a bit more interesting if i can. also on the topic of the counter melody part, that will lead into some other riff sections so it isnt just going to be that then a pointless drum break, so there is a purpose to it ;)

thanks for the crit as harsh as it was, its more useful to me than a 'that was good... all i can say' crit.

ch715dallat
10-18-2009, 06:01 PM
k, just changed up the 'clean math' section with a second guitar playing in it both distorted and clean so i think it has a different feel to it now. check it out.

Macabre_Turtle
10-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I can honestly say this is one of my favorite things I've ever heard come out of this site. Like, I really wish I had something to criticize. Math chug is probably my favorite section. Your drummer, assuming you have a band, is gonna totally ****ing hate you for this. I really dig how smooth all the changes come out, and how all the complicated parts happening simultaneously don't make it cluttery. Haha. Uhm. Iunno. I wish I could be more constructive. Sorry.
I'm about to post the final part of my song by the way.

ch715dallat
10-21-2009, 11:49 AM
heres a quick video of me playing some of the parts from the song, a couple of mistakes in there and the sound quality is pretty shitty but here it is anyways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gimNGGtr_NI

Macabre_Turtle
10-21-2009, 12:01 PM
Yup. Still sounds awesome recorded.

EDIT: I'm guessing from you only playing a few parts of the song that you are also guilty of writing things you can't quite play yet? Haha.

ch715dallat
10-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Yup. Still sounds awesome recorded.

EDIT: I'm guessing from you only playing a few parts of the song that you are also guilty of writing things you can't quite play yet? Haha.

hell no, im only playing the lead parts really, sure the parts i dont play are easier than the parts i do play in this video :confused:

i write everything on guitar then put it into guitar pro not the other way round, i hate that style of writing.

plus i already recorded the first part of the song like half a year ago, its on my profile.

Macabre_Turtle
10-21-2009, 12:17 PM
hell no, im only playing the lead parts really, sure the parts i dont play are easier than the parts i do play in this video :confused:

i write everything on guitar then put it into guitar pro not the other way round, i hate that style of writing.

plus i already recorded the first part of the song like half a year ago, its on my profile.

My bad. I was listening to the song last night and watching the video the next day, so I didn't notice it was the harder parts in the video.

I write about 50% of a guitar part with an instrument in my hands. And then the rest I'm just getting out of what I hear in my head. It sometimes results in things I can't play. Hell, I sometimes come up with things WITH an instrument that i can't quite get right. But I try not to show it off to people until I can. I find the technique forces me to practice.

Veil Of Osiris
10-21-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the crit.

Intro was cool, reminded me of Misery Signals a bit.

The "lead" parts in Chug 7/8 part didn't really do anything for me, but the rhythm was cool.

The Clean Math part brought a smile to my face. Even more so when the distortion came in.

The Outro Melody was amazing.

My major complaint is the length, it seemed really short to me.

9/10

ch715dallat
10-21-2009, 05:18 PM
its short because its unfinished as i said inmy first post, theres a shit tonne more writing to be done in this. this is just a start to it, thanks anyways

LucasGtrGod
03-02-2010, 08:26 AM
Well dude first off, sorry about the intensely long time it has taken me to reply for your crit on For God and Country, as I said I was busy, but here I am.

Secondly, you definitely like BTBAM, I do too.

I am sorry I can't be too specific as the entire thing is pretty much just rocks, but here we go.

Intro is ****ing amazing. Very amazing.

I love the chug 7/8 part also. Needs more before it goes clean however. I'll put this down to it being incomplete.

Despite this the clean section and the ensuing Math sections was great. So was the counter melody.

I must admit though I really, really, really do not like the outro transition. The outro is great, but that transition is awful.

Overall so far it is a 9/10, and something I would definitely listen to.