T&C Cover Contest

PDA

View Full Version : T&C Cover Contest

thorbor
10-15-2009, 06:27 AM
Hey guys, it's just a quick idea and I don't know if it's going to work out, but here's the plan:

This contest is about rewriting a song in Guitar Pro. Be as creative as possible and try to take the original song to another genre.

The basic songs will be the Max Payne Themes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRuReVCFOY0&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGvwmZmFi0w&fmt=18

I chose this one, because a video game theme is open to any genre well suited for something like that. There are countless ways to create something new and original with this basis.
You dont need to keep the sad mood of the song, depressive melodic metal, aggressive thrash metal, or funky jazz, it's all up to you :cheers:

The main point is creativity and originality

Competitors so far:
thorbor
Madzää
icronic
JesseBlanchard
blackmagician
ultimate-slash
Nemesis@Germany
AngrySockMonkey
Momentosis
TheReverend724
The winner will be decided by vote in a different thread.
Deadline: Saturday 31th October.
-------> Submission Thread (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=22023418) <-------

Madzää
10-15-2009, 08:31 AM
I´m in, please sign me up.

JesseBlanchard
10-15-2009, 08:39 AM
Id be up for it, if it wasnt the max payne theme. Its too repetitive, and boring.

thorbor
10-15-2009, 09:31 AM
I´m in, please sign me up.
I'll type up a list later on
Id be up for it, if it wasnt the max payne theme. Its too repetitive, and boring.
well, it's your task to make it exciting :)
but otherwise, if there are any suggestions for other songs, feel free to post it.
Another song I had in mind is the Duke Nukem theme, it has a very strong melody but there are already dozens of different versions out there.

icronic
10-15-2009, 01:11 PM

I think he means more along the lines of re-imagining or re-interpreting the song. Thus the length repetitiveness and so forth wouldn't be a factor.

Anyway, I'm definitely up for this one.

Nemesis@Germany
10-15-2009, 01:53 PM
hm.. i'll be waiting for the cover-song list.
maybe i'll join if the right songs are in there.
but.. it sounds interesting.

thorbor
10-15-2009, 01:58 PM
hm.. i'll be waiting for the cover-song list.
maybe i'll join if the right songs are in there.
but.. it sounds interesting.
The problem is, with a whole list of songs and everyone picking different songs, it's hard to say who has written the best piece at the end. Of course, If we have enough people we could organise battle groups for other songs, so get in here, guys :peace:

Nemesis@Germany
10-15-2009, 02:15 PM
set up a list and let's vote!
so, anybody will be fine with the song.
it's just an idea.

Momentosis
10-15-2009, 06:20 PM
I think it'd be better with just one song.

thorbor
10-15-2009, 08:33 PM
I think it'd be better with just one song.
so.... you're in? :)

anyway, geht in here people

If there are like 10 or more interested people we can discuss how we'll go on. Until then, report in even if you're not sure yet :cheers:

JesseBlanchard
10-16-2009, 05:04 AM
Okay, disregard my last comment. Ive started. and its awesome. haha.

blackmagician
10-16-2009, 05:41 AM
i think i am in, but i have my doubts as i am not that good at transcribing stuff

ultimate-slash
10-16-2009, 07:36 AM
I am definitely in, no matter what song it will be really :D

EDIT:

just had a silly idea,

what if we choose some kind of nintendo game tune to work from or something like that? :p:

(just a thought, not so much an actual advice regarding this competition, I'll be fine with any song really)

thorbor
10-16-2009, 08:13 AM
what if we choose some kind of nintendo game tune to work from or something like that? :p:
I don't really like Dragonforce, so....

:peace:
no,I think the max payne themes will work fine. If this contest lives on a few months we could initiate a second round with other songs, but since a few people already started writing their songs, we'll stick with this one.

Concerning the deadline I don't really know how much time you guys need to tab out your submissions. I don't want to push it, but at the same time noone wants to wait ages.

SOADisdabest
10-16-2009, 08:20 AM
I'd be keen if we change it to the Crash Bandicoot theme song. :p:

JesseBlanchard
10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Next time we should have a Nintendo theme.

ultimate-slash
10-16-2009, 09:16 AM
I don't really like Dragonforce, so....

:peace:
no,I think the max payne themes will work fine. If this contest lives on a few months we could initiate a second round with other songs, but since a few people already started writing their songs, we'll stick with this one.

Concerning the deadline I don't really know how much time you guys need to tab out your submissions. I don't want to push it, but at the same time noone wants to wait ages.

Lol :haha:

well, I sure hope this competition gets more contestants so it can maybe grow out to be something that happens on a regular basis..

and concerning the deadline, maybe that can be best established when (if, but I really hope it happens) there are some more competitors, so you'll make a list of competitors and then when you have that list, give it another 2/3 weeks or so..

EDIT:
I also just noticed there's already a tab from the original theme from the first max payne, here on ultimate-guitar (just look for 'max payne' in guitar tabs) might come in handy for people who are no good at transcribing by ear.

thorbor
10-16-2009, 09:19 AM
Sorry guys, we can't meet everyone wish here. Join in, it's just for fun anyway.

blackmagician
10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
by the way, i am better off at creating a gloomy kind of thing, so that is kinda ok right? considering that the original is also in the same mood?

thorbor
10-16-2009, 11:19 AM
by the way, i am better off at creating a gloomy kind of thing, so that is kinda ok right? considering that the original is also in the same mood?
yeah sure, you can do whatever you want. I'll try a jazz version that is a bit less gloomy, but inf act, every genre of music will do.

Nemesis@Germany
10-16-2009, 03:09 PM
just for fun sounds like fun.
i'm in.

thorbor
10-16-2009, 03:29 PM
just for fun sounds like fun.
i'm in.
well, of course there will be a winner. but I'm not sure how we gonna decide who has written the piece. I think in this case it's even more difficult.

Nemesis@Germany
10-16-2009, 04:23 PM
a poll?

blackmagician
10-16-2009, 04:23 PM
why dont we ask someone to select? or maybe vote it ourselves and we cannot vote for our own piece.

Nemesis@Germany
10-16-2009, 04:54 PM
yeah, let's vote.

AngrySockMonkey
10-16-2009, 05:07 PM
i'm in for sure this time lol.

thorbor
10-16-2009, 05:20 PM
^added you to the list

ok, then we'll vote.
My piece will be finished in a few days, but I guess it will still take some time until everyones is finished.
I'm just vaguely pointing at the first november >.> but take your time anyway

Momentosis
10-17-2009, 04:24 PM
I'm in then I guess.

:haha:

TheReverend724
10-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Sign me up Horo!

thorbor
10-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Sign me up Horo!
yay, 3rd animefan in here :cheers:

get things going guys, I'm already done :)

Momentosis
10-18-2009, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty much done as well.

:D

blackmagician
10-19-2009, 03:09 PM
i am almost done too

thorbor
10-19-2009, 03:30 PM
ok, deadline is now saturday, 24th october. I'll go start a submission thread now.

Momentosis
10-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Ok, my song is a jazz approach which gets a bit funky and heavy later on. Since I watchet the move and played the games I tried to tell a little story.
It's set in the key of Eb major.

You cheater!!!

*shakes fist*

:haha:

jk

EDIT: I think your pieces blows mine outta the water.

thorbor
10-19-2009, 06:23 PM
concerning the key(I dont know anything about music theory really) I just wrote down every note of the max payne theme tab on here and then guessed it's set in c minor. Since I wanted it to be a bit happier at first, the first part is set in Eb major, the parallel key.

Edit:^ damn your pice is awesome, I didnt eve know that guitar pro had a built in wah :D

I think i'm stealing that intro, I mean the simulatio of sustain.
the solo was a bit too dissonant at times, but overall it was great. I loved the triplets in the outro. Basically the riffs were nice and the strongest parts were outro and intro imho. But let's see what the others say :cheers:

edit2:oh and you have to use a lot more vibrato and slides, especially for this song. Makes it more realistic in some way.

Madzää
10-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Submitted my piece now. I haven´t played the games tho, so I can´t say that I know the story behind the theme. I just took it to a smooth smoker´s club approach.

|_JR_|
10-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Er... I started putting some stuff togeher just for fun, didn't turn out too bad... can I still enter? Not sure I can make it to the 24th though.

Cool entries so far, my favourite is Madzaa's (even though I barely recognised the song at first... xD)

thorbor
10-21-2009, 02:40 PM
Er... I started putting some stuff togeher just for fun, didn't turn out too bad... can I still enter? Not sure I can make it to the 24th though.

Cool entries so far, my favourite is Madzaa's (even though I barely recognised the song at first... xD)
yeah sure, it's still open for everyone

ultimate-slash
10-23-2009, 11:33 AM
I'm sorry but I'm not gonna make it before the 24th..

started on it already, but it still kinda sucks, and is far from finished, but I'm a little too busy with my band and school at the moment so I don't really have time/inspiration to work on it right now unfortunately :(

thorbor
10-24-2009, 08:13 AM
ok then, what's about the other people? still need some time?

|_JR_|
10-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I guess so... could rush it for today, but it would be... er... rushed. :p:

thorbor
10-26-2009, 03:37 AM
okay, updated deadline

|_JR_|
11-03-2009, 04:33 AM
bump... guess it's time to begin voting no? :shrug:

thorbor
11-03-2009, 05:42 AM
bump... guess it's time to begin voting no? :shrug:
I contacted the people who haven't submitted their pieces yet, but there's no response. I guess I'll start the voting thread when I'm home form school in a few hours :)

ultimate-slash
11-03-2009, 07:48 AM
I contacted the people who haven't submitted their pieces yet, but there's no response. I guess I'll start the voting thread when I'm home form school in a few hours :)

yeah sorry, I got your message, but I'm still not able to submit a finished piece so...

If you were waiting for me I apologize for that.. :o

Grovermans
11-03-2009, 04:22 PM
i suggest something from final fantasy. if it's something from final fantasy, i'm in. otherwise, fuck it.

EDIT: ah. didn't read the whole thread. it would have been good if it were final fantasy. i think that would have made really interesting genre shifts.

thorbor
11-04-2009, 09:44 AM
ok, Voting thread is open :cheers: