Of Mice and Men

PDA

View Full Version : Of Mice and Men

Pages : [1] 2

tancanada
10-21-2009, 11:40 PM
Searchbarred, no results
http://www.myspace.com/ofmice
Some of you might recognize the screamers voice... ;)
Personally I think this might be one of the best post-hardcore acts out there at the moment, theyre pretty damn talented at what they do. Austin's screams are completely unique, Jaxin does great vocals and the guitars are pretty swooping in some of their songs. Discussssss

Okeefe Is Legit
10-22-2009, 12:08 AM
Was one of the first to add them on myspace
and the first person to upload 2000 miles and for what? onto mediafire.

/pretentious douchebaggery

The stickam show they did a few months back proves they're going to be a shitload better than attack attack. Looking forward to seeing them on the Atticus tour.

pmeg568c
10-22-2009, 10:01 AM
how can you say that guys scream is even remotely unique? this band blows just as much as attack attack if not more. swooping guitar? i kind of get what you are saying but many bands have done this and do this a thousand times better. this band is far from talented

Enclose
10-22-2009, 11:51 AM
I like their poker face cover...

Valderama
10-22-2009, 12:28 PM
I think Austin is such a good guy, and a talented screamer.
I shall be keeping a close eye on this band, i like them alot.

edit: I predict that this thread will turn into a discussion where bored / lonely people start bashing AA!

heh.

tancanada
10-22-2009, 01:22 PM
how can you say that guys scream is even remotely unique? this band blows just as much as attack attack if not more. swooping guitar? i kind of get what you are saying but many bands have done this and do this a thousand times better. this band is far from talented

Austins screams are impossible to imitate, just ask anyone who screams. And they have nice guitar lines, just go listen to YGD?!, there's a solo or two

Manos15
10-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I like their poker face cover...
Oh wow a band named after a book who does an ironic cover of a pop song. How original . . .

Valderama
10-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Oh wow a band named after a book who does an ironic cover of a pop song. How original . . .
Who else matches this description?

pmeg568c
10-22-2009, 02:35 PM
Austins screams are impossible to imitate, just ask anyone who screams. And they have nice guitar lines, just go listen to YGD?!, there's a solo or two

well i just asked the vocalist of my band and he says that scream has been used for years and it has been. im going to listen to one of their songs so i can show you why this band sucks.

the first thing i thought when i heard his scream was a less ballsy poison the well type scream. and countless other bands. I don't know what else to say. if you honestly think his scream is unique, you are retarded. not to mention the enormous amounts of compression and distortion you can tell were used on his vocals.

now onto the song. seven thousand miles or whatever. it starts off with a lame very uninteresting intervallic synth part. Then a breakdown comes in at an ENTIRELY different tempo with no warning. that is just bad song writing. not to mention of course the breakdown is generic as shit. the we hear the same boring heard it a million times before two step riff over some more terrible vocals with massive amounts of reverb this time. then we get an underoath chorus thing but you can't even hear the guitars this song is mixed so terribly. then we get that stupid breakdown with the half step dissonances that i swear is an underoath riff. oh thats another thing. the vocalist also sounds like a weaker underoath vocalist. then we get an interlude that again hauntingly reminds me of underoath and when the double bass kicks in i just laughed at how terrible it sounded. then the song ends with another generic breakdown. i see absolutely nothing notable about any of the guitar playing

i can't even believe i listened to that whole thing it was terrible haha. I don't get how people still like this music. don't you feel like you've heard the same thing a million times?

-tempest-
10-22-2009, 03:13 PM
*tl;dr this band sucks*
this. the breakdown after the synth intro was soo bad. the transition was painful to listen to.

technicolour
10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
the rabbits george! the rabbits!

Valderama
10-22-2009, 03:26 PM
*wall of text that few people will read*
I'm not going to attack your opinion about it, but when you were talking about the song-writing, you are basing the judgements you make about it on YOUR own morals of what songwriting should comprise / sound like. Who cares if theres no "warning" before a tempo change, it doesn't matter, IMO, it's pointless having a go at a bands songwriting; if THEY (by they, I mean those who wrote the song) thought a transition or a tempo change or the start of a new section was bad then im sure they wouldnt keep it in the song, it's all about artistic license.

As for "do we ever get bored of hearing the same things?" - No, never. Ever.
It's as if you want every band in the world to scour the music industry, looking for a band they are very similar to just so they can find a way to differ themselves from the other band. If i hear a riff that sounds similar to another band / song, I just think "cool, that sounds similar to another band I like." Its impossible to be totally unique, so instead of trying to escape "genericness" just embrace it.

technicolour
10-22-2009, 03:29 PM
Well, you don't have to be unique..but when I can guess the general outline of the song before I listen to any of it something is wrong. And I don't mean the simple verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus, I mean: breakdown - 2step - clean sung chorus - smaller breakdown - 2step - solo? lol usually not - end br00tal breakdown

Valderama
10-22-2009, 03:32 PM
Well, you don't have to be unique..but when I can guess the general outline of the song before I listen to any of it something is wrong. And I don't mean the simple verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus, I mean: breakdown - 2step - clean sung chorus - smaller breakdown - 2step - solo? lol usually not - end br00tal breakdown
Well it's possible to guess the outline of a song in 95% of all genres of music, it's unavoidable, and I dont think there's anything wrong with that.

pmeg568c
10-22-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not going to attack your opinion about it, but when you were talking about the song-writing, you are basing the judgements you make about it on YOUR own morals of what songwriting should comprise / sound like. Who cares if theres no "warning" before a tempo change, it doesn't matter, IMO, it's pointless having a go at a bands songwriting; if THEY (by they, I mean those who wrote the song) thought a transition or a tempo change or the start of a new section was bad then im sure they wouldnt keep it in the song, it's all about artistic license.

As for "do we ever get bored of hearing the same things?" - No, never. Ever.
It's as if you want every band in the world to scour the music industry, looking for a band they are very similar to just so they can find a way to differ themselves from the other band. If i hear a riff that sounds similar to another band / song, I just think "cool, that sounds similar to another band I like." Its impossible to be totally unique, so instead of trying to escape "genericness" just embrace it.

that is not an opinion. you can't just do that in a song. it shows that you have little concept of musicianship and how the flow of music goes. Im sure they didn't say "hey guys we know you aren't supposed to do this here but we are going to doing it anyway" it was more along the lines of "lets make this breakdown slow!" without any regards to the previous tempo. guaranteed they didn't even know that did it.

I get the same argument from you people all the time. you always fail to acknowledge the trends that bands like these are following that will be gone in a years tops. Yes it is impossible to be totally unique. but this band, for one thing, sounds exactly like attack attack, and numerous other "synth-core" shit bands. Its one thing to copy something legitimate, but those bands and genres are not because they are all about the image and the money and not the music. If they were about the music, they would focus less on what their myspace page looks like and how their songs are written.

Valderama
10-22-2009, 04:05 PM
that is not an opinion. you can't just do that in a song. it shows that you have little concept of musicianship and how the flow of music goes. Im sure they didn't say "hey guys we know you aren't supposed to do this here but we are going to doing it anyway" it was more along the lines of "lets make this breakdown slow!" without any regards to the previous tempo. guaranteed they didn't even know that did it.

I get the same argument from you people all the time. you always fail to acknowledge the trends that bands like these are following that will be gone in a years tops. Yes it is impossible to be totally unique. but this band, for one thing, sounds exactly like attack attack, and numerous other "synth-core" shit bands. Its one thing to copy something legitimate, but those bands and genres are not because they are all about the image and the money and not the music. If they were about the music, they would focus less on what their myspace page looks like and how their songs are written.
Sorry but, yes, it is an opinion. There is no correct way of writing a song. To even try and enforce that is quite narrow-minded.

Lets look at it from the other end of the spectrum; let's take a "True Hardcore" band, think of whichever one you want, i can guarantee they use the same chord progressions, same vocal style and same song structures as numerous other bands in the genre / sub-genre.
I know exactly what trends bands like that are following, is it wrong for people to enjoy those trends, merely because you think they wont last a certain amount of time? Trends aren't supposed to be permanent anyway, otherwise they will cease to be trends, they will simply become protocol (until their inevitable end).

You can't possibly say that all bands like that are in it for the money or whatever. It's quite simple; with fame / popularity, comes money. You are acting like it's taboo to even mention money, for fear of being considered "sell-outs" or "not as cool as Converge" among Hardcore fans.

Eugh, you've complained about the Myspace page before; so wierd.
It doesnt make sense, they are two separate things. It takes 5 minutes to create a myspace layout, it's not like the two things coincide :haha
"Hey dude, shall we finish writing that song for the next 3 hours?"
"Nah, im going to change our myspace layout for 3 hours, cya!"
Besides, Myspace is a bands primary form of self-promotion, it's done nothing but good things for the music-industry.

pmeg568c
10-22-2009, 04:39 PM
There is no correct way of writing a song but there are many things that make a trained musician's ear go "ouch". whether it is right or wrong or it doesn't matter, that isn't something a musician would do.

Do I have to again put this out there? I thought i said this enough in the last attack attack thread. Yes hardcore is mostly the same. But it has been around for 20+ years and is still alive and kicking. Bands like these capitalize on the things that kids like to hear nowadays, like breakdowns, and water the music down so it is accessible to anyone. That is why it angers us. Not only is the music, if you can call it that, terribly written, but the motives behind it are stupid. Hardcore isn't about how many breakdowns you can have or how many scene chicks you can get to love your band by playing the most trance sing along parts.

No self respecting musician would write music like that and not be doing it on purpose, to make money. If they are actually amazing but writing music like this to get popular and make money, all the more power to them but that is not the case. they are writing terrible music that follows trends. you act like there is nothing wrong with following a trend. The reason its called a trend because it dies out. why would you want to dedicate yourself to something that is fake and temporary? The only reason would be to make money and get bitches.

i really don't know what else to say. i've told you all this a thousand times already and you still don't get it. If you really can't tell that this band cares more about their image then their music i don't know what to say. you just don't get it yet.

The Spoon
10-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I like his scream. It's not like i'd be able to recognize him if i were to hear it somewhere though.

This band definately kicks AA's ass, but that's not that hard to do.

It's catchy. I would rather hear kids listening and obsessing over this band than AA. That's understandable at least.

But I SWEAR i thought it was a cover of a song the first 30 seconds. Not trying to bring them down, but that's exactly what i thought.

Valderama
10-22-2009, 05:51 PM
It's not that I don't get it (which you pointed out multiple times lol).

I just view it differently.

Stop being afraid of popular stuff.

technicolour
10-22-2009, 06:09 PM
yesss, join us in mediocrity ! MUAHAHAHAHHA

PiNk_ThE_pUnK
10-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Book genuinely made me cry. This band also came close. Not in the same way.

MustangMan311
10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Stop being afraid of popular stuff.
While there's a lot of this going on in the hardcore forum, where people are afraid to like anyone who's remotely successful and have a young fanbase, with this band, that is simply not the issue.

Lappo
10-22-2009, 07:08 PM
John Steinbeck is cursing in his grave right now.

breakdown123
10-22-2009, 07:56 PM
They sound interesting, but im saving my opinion til i hear more stuff. Im not going to judge them off some shitty quality live videos, and like 2 demoes.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-22-2009, 07:57 PM
John Steinbeck is cursing in his grave right now.

For all you know he could have enjoyed this band, which makes the whole "in their grave" saying retarded.

and if you guys haven't noticed, the beginning synths is the main melody in "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga.

And Pmeg, if you think that was a strange transition, you obviously don't have a trained ear. A trained ear has the ability to easily adapt to different styles/approaches to music. For once, I wholeheartedly agree with Valderama.

technicolour
10-22-2009, 08:29 PM
and if you guys haven't noticed, the beginning synths is the main melody in "Just Dance" by Lady Gaga.

I thought I heard that somewhere before.

pmeg568c
10-22-2009, 08:36 PM
For all you know he could have enjoyed this band, which makes the whole "in their grave" saying retarded.

And Pmeg, if you think that was a strange transition, you obviously don't have a trained ear. A trained ear has the ability to easily adapt to different styles/approaches to music. For once, I wholeheartedly agree with Valderama.

lol ok i dont have a trained ear sure. if you honestly think that transition is fine and normal you are the one without a trained ear. you cannot just change tempo without anything leading toward it. no drum fill, guitar fill, or vocal idea was present, and the tempo takes a measure or 2 to actually settle in once you realize what they are trying to do. stop trying to defend this band by saying they approach music differently because they obviously don't. saying that would be saying this band is innovative, unique, and knew what they were doing, which is obviously not the idea. Again i don't know what else to say, you people really just don't see it. It just sounds like they needed a slower breakdown or it wouldn't be heavy so they just played it slower.

my ear is trained to adapt to many styles of music. i just don't consider this style of music "music". because its just a bunch of cliches thrown together for the pop culture.

and no i haven't noticed, sorry i don't listen to lady gaga, why the hell would i?

Girvo
10-22-2009, 08:44 PM
They remind me of Poison The Well, with more synth, except shit.

catalyst329
10-22-2009, 08:51 PM
There is no correct way of writing a song but there are many things that make a trained musician's ear go "ouch". whether it is right or wrong or it doesn't matter, that isn't something a musician would do.

Do I have to again put this out there? I thought i said this enough in the last attack attack thread. Yes hardcore is mostly the same. But it has been around for 20+ years and is still alive and kicking. Bands like these capitalize on the things that kids like to hear nowadays, like breakdowns, and water the music down so it is accessible to anyone. That is why it angers us. Not only is the music, if you can call it that, terribly written, but the motives behind it are stupid. Hardcore isn't about how many breakdowns you can have or how many scene chicks you can get to love your band by playing the most trance sing along parts.

No self respecting musician would write music like that and not be doing it on purpose, to make money. If they are actually amazing but writing music like this to get popular and make money, all the more power to them but that is not the case. they are writing terrible music that follows trends. you act like there is nothing wrong with following a trend. The reason its called a trend because it dies out. why would you want to dedicate yourself to something that is fake and temporary? The only reason would be to make money and get bitches.

i really don't know what else to say. i've told you all this a thousand times already and you still don't get it. If you really can't tell that this band cares more about their image then their music i don't know what to say. you just don't get it yet.

I really doubt that if they were seriously all about making money they would end up in the music industry... especially in a hardcore band

Okeefe Is Legit
10-22-2009, 09:29 PM
lol ok i dont have a trained ear sure. if you honestly think that transition is fine and normal you are the one without a trained ear. you cannot just change tempo without anything leading toward it. no drum fill, guitar fill, or vocal idea was present, and the tempo takes a measure or 2 to actually settle in once you realize what they are trying to do. stop trying to defend this band by saying they approach music differently because they obviously don't. saying that would be saying this band is innovative, unique, and knew what they were doing, which is obviously not the idea. Again i don't know what else to say, you people really just don't see it. It just sounds like they needed a slower breakdown or it wouldn't be heavy so they just played it slower.

my ear is trained to adapt to many styles of music. i just don't consider this style of music "music". because its just a bunch of cliches thrown together for the pop culture.

and no i haven't noticed, sorry i don't listen to lady gaga, why the hell would i?

Of course the transition wasn't traditional, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that because I've been exposed to a wide array of music I found it easier to accept what they were trying to do.

And just because they don't know the technicality behind music means whatever they create doesn't sound good? Have you ever heard of Wes Montgomery, one of the greatest jazz guitarists ever?

And the Lady Gaga thing was more directed to the post that said it sounded familiar. To be honest though, you seriously must live under a rock if it doesn't at least sound familiar to you.

Girvo
10-22-2009, 09:34 PM
The transition to the breakdown is nothing. It wasn't even bad at all to be honest, I liked it. The rest of the song was bland and unoriginal to be honest.

pmeg568c
10-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Of course the transition wasn't traditional, I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that because I've been exposed to a wide array of music I found it easier to accept what they were trying to do.

And just because they don't know the technicality behind music means whatever they create doesn't sound good? Have you ever heard of Wes Montgomery, one of the greatest jazz guitarists ever?

And the Lady Gaga thing was more directed to the post that said it sounded familiar. To be honest though, you seriously must live under a rock if it doesn't at least sound familiar to you.

dude i study jazz at college. I listen to a wide array of music but i have no need to listen to this because there is nothing interesting about it. Im sure there is plenty of music that you dont accept because you just don't get it, but i dont accept this music because it is quite obvious in my eyes just a mash up of cliches.

you obviously find it easier to accept because you like the band, not because you are exposed to more. Im pretty sure that being older than you and studying music in college i have most probably been exposed to more music than you. and i still see nothing in this music.

anyways, the transition, which isn't even there at all, just shows laziness. I dare you to find a talented musician who would do anything remotely similar to that.

and no i dont live under a rock, i just don't listen to the radio. why would i? i don't like pop music.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-22-2009, 10:07 PM
dude i study jazz at college. I listen to a wide array of music but i have no need to listen to this because there is nothing interesting about it. Im sure there is plenty of music that you dont accept because you just don't get it, but i dont accept this music because it is quite obvious in my eyes just a mash up of cliches.

you obviously find it easier to accept because you like the band, not because you are exposed to more. Im pretty sure that being older than you and studying music in college i have most probably been exposed to more music than you. and i still see nothing in this music.

anyways, the transition, which isn't even there at all, just shows laziness. I dare you to find a talented musician who would do anything remotely similar to that.

and no i dont live under a rock, i just don't listen to the radio. why would i? i don't like pop music.

I've just been in an argumentative mood today and was playing the devil's advocate, so don't really take what I mean personally. I'm just kind of sick of people thinking just because they're generic, they aren't talented.
And really, I don't listen to the radio either, but the media's in everyone's lives too much to not pick up on pop music.

Girvo
10-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey guess what people. Music is subjective. Who would've thunk-it?

*rolls eyes

Okeefe Is Legit
10-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Hey guess what people. Music is subjective. Who would've thunk-it?

*rolls eyes

NO :mad:

:p:

Kyle<3
10-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Listening to their songs I really felt like I had heard them before... even though I hadn't.

Manos15
10-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Are you ****ing serious?

Okeefe Is Legit
10-23-2009, 12:16 AM
Are you ****ing serious?

Devil's Advocate: of course I am. The guy's dead. You don't know what his train of thought would be right now if he were alive.

nashawa
10-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Well it's possible to guess the outline of a song in 95% of all genres of music, it's unavoidable, and I dont think there's anything wrong with that.
Are you serious?
Man you've got to start listening to some new music...

Lappo
10-23-2009, 01:53 AM
Devil's Advocate: of course I am. The guy's dead. You don't know what his train of thought would be right now if he were alive.I know with 100% certainty that, were he alive, John Steinbeck would find this band's tour bus and blow an enormous load inside that would fill the entire space, drowning them.

Or alternatively, blow a stream so pressurized it would pierce their skulls like a harpoon made of diamonds.

Valderama
10-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Are you serious?
Man you've got to start listening to some new music...
I should have edited, i didnt actually mean 95%.
In fact, a percentage doesnt justify what i'm trying to contribute.
I talking about Punk (as we know it), Country, Happy Hardcore, Techno, House, RnB, Hip-hop.
All of which aren't exactly praised for their innovativeness. I guess i was trying to say that most of the big / most popular genres are FAIRLY predictable in places.
Don't hate on me :)

Okeefe Is Legit
10-23-2009, 07:46 PM
I know with 100% certainty that, were he alive, John Steinbeck would find this band's tour bus and blow an enormous load inside that would fill the entire space, drowning them.

Or alternatively, blow a stream so pressurized it would pierce their skulls like a harpoon made of diamonds.

Well I think he would be honored that a group of people found his book so influential/inspiring that they decided to name their band about it.

Stop being a prick.

ChemicalFire
10-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Known about em for a few months. I love their Lady GaGa cover

Brendan.Pivin
10-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Weird,.... I just had to read that novel in class

SeveredSurvival
10-26-2009, 09:52 PM
Are you in grade 9? ^ I read it with my class then

STABxYOU
10-27-2009, 08:52 AM
Sucks.

I'm disappointed I paused Weekend Nachos for that.

Acronikos
10-27-2009, 12:05 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha:

sig'd

Toph Rulez D00d
10-28-2009, 05:54 PM

I'm sure you've talked to the band personally and they specifically said they care about their image more then the music, right? Plus I'm not sure if you made the comment on the band caring more about there myspace page rather then the music, but I will say that's probably the stupid comment anyone could make, becuase you are aware that most bands have someone create there layout for them...nothing to do with the band, or the music. Plus there's nothing wrong with good myspace layouts it's promoting the band. And just becuase you have an image, doesn't mean you care more about it then the music.

From what I get out of this your saying that just becuase this is a trend and it may die out in a couple years, your not allowed to enjoy the music even if you really do actually like it? You can only like it if you're in it for the image and the chicks and everything but the writing? That makes sense. Also I doubt this trend is going to die out any time soon...from what I'm seeing this trend has grown a lot recently. There are a ton of bands in this trend now, for them to all die within a year? I don't see that happening.

A lot of people are really interested in music, and playing music, and they may not be the greatest musicians but they write the best they can write, and do what they love...it's the best they can do, and people seem to like it, so I don't see the problem. You shouldn't have to be the greatest musicians in the world to write music.

I follow this trend, I love the music created in this trend, I'll listen to this trend of music even if it "dies", becuase I enjoy it for the music. I'm sure many other people will do the same. But I'll be back here in 20+ years to let you know how the trend is going.

tancanada
11-09-2009, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqz9O_8psWU&feature=player_embedded
THats pretty sick.

saxaxe
11-09-2009, 07:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xqz9O_8psWU&feature=player_embedded
THats pretty sick.
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr322/CAC_003/facepalm1.jpg

I just don't get it, I guess. I always saw hardcore, metal and everything in between as a rebellion to the mainstream, an answer to the mediocrity revered by the masses. I don't get why these bands embrace what their predecessors fought so hard to rebel from.

Okeefe Is Legit
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM
Seeing these guys this friday. I'm excited.

Monolith295
11-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Tell me bout them rabbits.

amidoinitright?

williammckk
11-10-2009, 12:01 AM
http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr322/CAC_003/facepalm1.jpg

I just don't get it, I guess. I always saw hardcore, metal and everything in between as a rebellion to the mainstream, an answer to the mediocrity revered by the masses. I don't get why these bands embrace what their predecessors fought so hard to rebel from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvmHAg8sagA

GodofCheesecake
11-10-2009, 12:17 AM
...What the hell?

speakers
11-10-2009, 12:52 AM
PMEG, you are saying this band is not unique but then you are also saying that the transition is not right because it is not textbook or traditional. Sounds like a paradox.

GodofCheesecake
11-10-2009, 01:02 AM
OH SNAP

saxaxe
11-10-2009, 01:14 AM
PMEG, you are saying this band is not unique but then you are also saying that the transition is not right because it is not textbook or traditional. Sounds like a paradox.
It's not about being a "textbook or traditional" versus an innovative or original transition, it's about...well, being a transition. He didn't say the transition doesn't match the traditional definition of a transition, he said there is no transition. It's just lazy songwriting.

xRenegadEx
11-10-2009, 01:20 AM
"I cans play a breakdown whenevers TEH FUX I WANT TO DAMMIT!!!11!1!1!oone1!!1eleven1!!!1!"...........even if it doesn't fit the intro.

pmeg568c
11-10-2009, 02:02 AM
those last two posts pretty much said what i wanted to say. If you think this band is unique, go kill yourself (jk) . Just because a band combines the worst aspects of the worst kinds of music doesn't make them original or unique or even close to legitimate or good.

Thebiz
11-10-2009, 03:04 AM
I wonder why when a generic metal or indie band is posted in their respective forums there isn't a deeply societal, cultural discussion like there is in EVERY OTHER FREAKING THREAD LIKE THIS.

Valderama
11-10-2009, 04:41 PM
those last two posts pretty much said what i wanted to say. If you think this band is unique, go kill yourself (jk) . Just because a band combines the worst aspects of the worst kinds of music doesn't make them original or unique or even close to legitimate or good.
Perfectly reasonable up until that part. What the hell does "good" mean anyway, you are only basing the definition of it by your own idea of what a good band sounds like.
And +1 to whoever said "sounds like a paradox" - you bash this band for being generic, and then proceed to bash them for NOT doing something you would expect from a "better" band.

And yes, I'm fully aware that I "just don't get it, maannnn" (x100)

pmeg568c
11-10-2009, 06:25 PM
i dunno, i would say by the distributive property, if a band combines too terrible things, A and B, the resulting C will also be terrible. Since you agreed they combined terrible aspects...

BGSM
11-10-2009, 11:02 PM
And Pmeg, if you think that was a strange transition, you obviously don't have a trained ear. A trained ear has the ability to easily adapt to different styles/approaches to music.

NO. There is absolutely no way you can defend the lack of a transition. They came up with a few riffs, threw breakdowns in between them, and then thought "hey boiz lets make dis breakie SLOWER". There is no way they chose to not have a transition for a legit reason.

Sorry but, yes, it is an opinion. There is no correct way of writing a song.

Mostly, this is right. But a huge problem with bands like this is the lack of experimentation. They take what is popular at hot topic, and duplicate it to the T.
Take a band like Horse The Band for example - they were possibly a pioneer of the whole 'synth -core' genre. Horse has breakdowns and synth parts, but they came up with these through experimentation. When Horse was first around, they weren't mainstream in the least. Of Mice and Men, however, have taken what's mainstream and popular, because they either are incapable of writing original music or just want friends on Myspace and scene girls.

As far as the MySpace layout goes, yes, other people design it for them... but take a look at the top of the page. You have to scroll down past a picture of these dickheads with their huge fringes and their scene poses to even listen to a song. How can you say that this ISN'T a band obsessed with their image?

And while I HATE comparing bands and I'm not a huge fan of Horse the Band, I can't resist. A HORSE song has genuine build ups, well constructed transitions, and good dynamics. These are all terms the guys in Of Mice and Men probably haven't even heard before.

Also, it pissed me off IMMEASURABLY when people call bands like this post-hardcore. Post hardcore is Fugazi, Bear vs. Shark, At The Drive-In, etc. NOT crap like this.

tancanada
11-11-2009, 11:20 AM
I absolutely HATE Horse The Band.
But I like OM&M and AA! and HvsH and any other synthcore band you can think of. :shrug:

And OM&M has certainly heard those terms before, Im pretty sure the producer for their album is the same one that worked with bands like ATDI, im not completely sure though

technicolour
11-11-2009, 12:45 PM
what about genghis tron?

xsv434
11-11-2009, 04:31 PM
how is of mice & men synthcore?! lol theres no synths in any of there songs. Unless you wanna count the beggining of there demo....but thats a clip from a lady gaga song.

BGSM
11-11-2009, 04:34 PM
haha that would have been a much better example. but genghis tron doesnt have the stereotypical breakdowns that horse and of mice and men have, and i wouldnt call them synth - core or whatever. i bet tancanada hates them too.

and having a famous producer doesnt excuse them for having sloppy songwriting. even if they had a drum slowdown or whatever, it'd still be better than what they have. a producer shouldnt have to say to them "the song needs a transition here because you dont have one at all", that should be the musicians job to critically analyse their own music.

^ then they're just another terrible stereotypical-breakdown band.

williammckk
11-11-2009, 05:02 PM
I absolutely HATE Horse The Band.
But I like OM&M and AA! and HvsH and any other synthcore band you can think of. :shrug:

And OM&M has certainly heard those terms before, Im pretty sure the producer for their album is the same one that worked with bands like ATDI, im not completely sure though

yeah im sure omar rodriguez lopez produces of mice and men. that was possibly the most stupid statement ive ever heard. they most likely are produced by joey sturgis, just like every other crap band now a days...the devil wears prada, attack attack, we came as romans ect ect

BGSM
11-11-2009, 05:14 PM
jesus christ did she mean at the drive in?

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

xsv434
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
they recorded with joey sturgis

williammckk
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
i cant believe someone would even think at the drive in was in anyway related to this worthless band.

tancanada
11-12-2009, 08:37 PM
haha that would have been a much better example. but genghis tron doesnt have the stereotypical breakdowns that horse and of mice and men have, and i wouldnt call them synth - core or whatever. i bet tancanada hates them too.

and having a famous producer doesnt excuse them for having sloppy songwriting. even if they had a drum slowdown or whatever, it'd still be better than what they have. a producer shouldnt have to say to them "the song needs a transition here because you dont have one at all", that should be the musicians job to critically analyse their own music.

^ then they're just another terrible stereotypical-breakdown band.

yeah I really dont like ghengis tron either.
and lol at everyone getting all pissy @ me saying these guys were produced by omar

BGSM
11-12-2009, 08:48 PM
can you atleast appreciate the skill of genghis tron, and recognise how much better they are than this band?

Lappo
11-13-2009, 11:07 AM
http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=13590

hahahahahahaha

boffen
11-13-2009, 01:24 PM
You can tell that guy is tr00 because he laughs when shit happens to people who makes poor music. Probably a guy most people definately should hang out with more.

technicolour
11-13-2009, 01:44 PM
man, I laughed, then felt bad, cause heart conditions suck.

Valderama
11-13-2009, 05:15 PM
http://lambgoat.com/news/view.aspx?id=13590

hahahahahahaha
Mate, that's really REALLY not cool.

NY_FootBall49
11-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Lets end this stupid ass arguement the ONLY reason these ****ING RETARDS are signed is b/c they look like every other scene retard ever OK. There music is a joke ok. Proof they covered a Lady Gaga song (who from what I heard is not really a lady at all.) That is proof these guys have no idea about the history of any genre let only the core genre. THERE A JOKE THERE MUSIC SUCKS /THREAD /RANT.

Monolith295
11-13-2009, 06:07 PM
As boring as this band is laughing at heart conditions is not something I can co-sign.

Lappo
11-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Mate, that's really REALLY not cool.you're right, pretending to give a fuck about someone who means nothing to you is the 'cool' thing to do

but I don't give a fuck about being cool

plus, perhaps if he has more bouts like this they'll stop making music, and that'll certainly be a positive thing

boffen
11-13-2009, 08:06 PM
"Hahahahahhaha" is not not giving a ****.

Thebiz
11-15-2009, 05:30 PM
New song: http://www.myspace.com/ofmice

lordneezi
11-15-2009, 05:42 PM
[

Because they're music isn't about being a rebel. It's about them playing whatever kind of music they want.

And about the whole transition thing. I'm pretty sure they meant to do that. That's whats funny about it. Any random person would think they were listening to Lady Gaga. And then suddenly a breakdown comes in and the person is like :confused:

Oh, and the new song is gangsta.

pmeg568c
11-15-2009, 06:08 PM
Because they're music isn't about being a rebel. It's about them playing whatever kind of music they want.

And about the whole transition thing. I'm pretty sure they meant to do that. That's whats funny about it. Any random person would think they were listening to Lady Gaga. And then suddenly a breakdown comes in and the person is like :confused:

Oh, and the new song is gangsta.

no, their music is not about them playing whatever they want. Their music is about playing music that currently gets little scene girl's panties wet and that the ignorant masses want to hear. They want to play this music because it gets them overnight fame, a decent amount of money, and a bunch of idiots looking up to you, without any regard as to what the actual music sounds like. So they take two horrible aspects of music that happen to sell: breakdowns and stupid techno, and make a shitty band.

and you are missing the entire point about the transition. Its retarded because when the breakdown comes in it is at a completely different tempo and any trained musician, in fact any avid music listener would think that is awkward and wrong sounding.

to add on to this point, i listened to the new song and i realized that this band must not know how to write transitions, because there isn't a single one in this song hahaha.

zezimathehero
11-15-2009, 06:27 PM
This band is atrocious. Pretty much every "transition" is just them stopping briefly and them coming in with a totally different part.

breakdown123
11-15-2009, 06:39 PM
new songs alright. liked the other stuff better, but w.e.

/ignores the ignorance on both sides of the argument

pmeg568c
11-15-2009, 06:43 PM
sorry but there is nothing ignorant about the people arguing that this band sucks. only on your side buddy.

lordneezi
11-15-2009, 06:45 PM
no, their music is not about them playing whatever they want. Their music is about playing music that currently gets little scene girl's panties wet and that the ignorant masses want to hear. They want to play this music because it gets them overnight fame, a decent amount of money, and a bunch of idiots looking up to you, without any regard as to what the actual music sounds like. So they take two horrible aspects of music that happen to sell: breakdowns and stupid techno, and make a shitty band.

and you are missing the entire point about the transition. Its retarded because when the breakdown comes in it is at a completely different tempo and any trained musician, in fact any avid music listener would think that is awkward and wrong sounding.

to add on to this point, i listened to the new song and i realized that this band must not know how to write transitions, because there isn't a single one in this song hahaha.

Just because they're music happens to get little scene girls panties wet :haha: doen't mean that they don't like the music they're playing. I play that kind of music and I love playing it. And they aren't trying to stay with the tempo at the beginning of the song. They just used the intro to Lady Gaga. And thats the only form of electronica they have in their songs. So no they're not "stupid techno".

BGSM
11-15-2009, 06:55 PM
you play "that kind of music"? all it is is shitty generic stereotypical breakdowns mixed with pedaling riffs and a clean arpegiated chorus. i cant even be bothered coming up with an argument because i know your love of scene bands like this is just as unstopable as a 40 year old nerd who has found his love on a nigerian dating site and wants to go meet her.

and choosing to put a lady gaga intro is the most stupid and overdone idea in the history of heavy music. punk does pop or whatever has been done a million times over, and its gotten really, really old.

just know that pmeg is right, you're wrong, and bands like this suck.

Lappo
11-15-2009, 07:03 PM
maybe they're called 'Of Mice and Men' because this is what it would sound like if Lennie had tried to compose music

lordneezi
11-15-2009, 07:06 PM
you play "that kind of music"? all it is is shitty generic stereotypical breakdowns mixed with pedaling riffs and a clean arpegiated chorus. i cant even be bothered coming up with an argument because i know your love of scene bands like this is just as unstopable as a 40 year old nerd who has found his love on a nigerian dating site and wants to go meet her.

and choosing to put a lady gaga intro is the most stupid and overdone idea in the history of heavy music. punk does pop or whatever has been done a million times over, and its gotten really, really old.

just know that pmeg is right, you're wrong, and bands like this suck.

We both have our opinions. The main thing I disagree with is him saying they don't enjoy what they play.

lordofthefood1
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
I like the singing, but the screaming is horrible. The music is kind of generic, thought it sounds more in genre than the other bands of this scream-core / sing chorus / scream whatever genre.

Most of the scream's "uniqueness" is due to the effects on it. There is some overdrive and they are eq'd to fit that "I'm screaming in an AM radio" type thing

BGSM
11-15-2009, 07:18 PM
he didnt say that, he said that they play this music for popularity. they might enjoy it, but that doesnt counter the fact that they're terribly uninventive and boring musicians staying mainstream because of popularity and scene pussy.

NY_FootBall49
11-15-2009, 07:24 PM
We both have our opinions. The main thing I disagree with is him saying they don't enjoy what they play.

You don't get it this bands a joke. Who's there influences Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Attack Attack! and the The Devil Wear Prada. I mean seriously these guys are a joke.
They probably said let's start a -core bands b/c all the cool kids do. That's why when you see interviews with scene bands like Attack Attack! and the interviewer asks who there influences are they have no answers. And it's such an insult to the bands that have paid there dues and paved the way for other bands. These dudes are ****ing clueless.

nashawa
11-15-2009, 07:25 PM
maybe they're called 'Of Mice and Men' because this is what it would sound like if Lennie had tried to compose music
Lenny wasn't THAT dumb

Lappo
11-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Lenny wasn't THAT dumb :cool:

BGSM
11-15-2009, 07:29 PM
Most of the scream's "uniqueness" is due to the effects on it. There is some overdrive and they are eq'd to fit that "I'm screaming in an AM radio" type thing

EXACTLY. all of the retards that think the vocalist is unique are just clueless - throw distortion, heavy compression and use eq, and you can get any screamer to sound like that.

lordneezi
11-15-2009, 07:42 PM
You don't get it this bands a joke. Who's there influences Lady Gaga, Justin Timberlake, Attack Attack! and the The Devil Wear Prada. I mean seriously these guys are a joke.
They probably said let's start a -core bands b/c all the cool kids do. That's why when you see interviews with scene bands like Attack Attack! and the interviewer asks who there influences are they have no answers. And it's such an insult to the bands that have paid there dues and paved the way for other bands. These dudes are ****ing clueless.

lol. What do you mean one of they're influences is Attack Attack!? The screamer was in AA!. I know which interview your talking about and yes Nick was clueless. But I don't really like him anyways. But I can guarantee you Austin and OM&M know they're influences.

saxaxe
11-15-2009, 08:44 PM
ITT:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_QXRm8WxqwVE/RZpTJaVhuNI/AAAAAAAAAAk/Uyra562mS8M/s320/missingthepoint.png

MustangMan311
11-15-2009, 08:52 PM
Their vocalist collapsed on stage last week. Too bad he didn't stay down.

/going to Hell

Lappo
11-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Their vocalist collapsed on stage last week. Too bad he didn't stay down.

/going to HellYou're a page behind 8)

Also, no fiction besides Of Mice and Men is allowed to be discussed here.

nashawa
11-16-2009, 12:55 AM
You're a page behind 8)

Also, no fiction besides Of Mice and Men is allowed to be discussed here.
ahhh
icwhatudidthar

Okeefe Is Legit
11-16-2009, 02:53 AM

Just because they have mainstream influences DOES NOT make this band a joke. If anything, it just makes them more diverse, and, in turn, better musicians. If you knew anything about Attack Attack besides the crabcore trend they unintentionally started, you'd know that the interview was on the new(er) lead singer of the band. He shouldn't be expected to have any contributing influences since he was dropped into the band playing another lyricist's songs. If they were to have interviewed Austin on the same topics, the interview would have been much more coherent.

Yes, their music is actually about playing what they want, or else they wouldn't be doing it. Most of them have significant others or are decent in their moral choices, so they really don't have the mindset of bands from the '80s.

Also, you seriously come off as a mindless follower who goes through the "rebellious" mindsets because it makes you better than everyone else. There are a ton of people like you, and you're much worse than the mainstream followers that listen to what they want regardless of the idiots like you trying to put down the music they enjoy listening to.

I like the singing, but the screaming is horrible. The music is kind of generic, thought it sounds more in genre than the other bands of this scream-core / sing chorus / scream whatever genre.

I actually saw Attack Attack! live when they still had Austin, and I can say that his screams sounded almost exactly like they did on their demos. He might have put effects on it live, but I see it no different than putting effects on a guitar :shrug:

Seriously though, if I were a mod I would have warned almost everyone in this thread for contributing nothing but pointless arguing and general ignorance/stupidity.

Lappo
11-16-2009, 03:05 AM
It's not against the rules to point out a bad band when you see one.

Magero
11-16-2009, 03:56 AM
It's apparently not against the rules to be a pompous dickhead either. :rolleyes:

Band sounds exactly like Attack Attack! without the synths. Meh. Heard better, heard worse.

Valderama
11-16-2009, 02:34 PM
+1 on both counts Magero <3

Also Okeefe i agree with everything.

People appear to be brainwashed into thinking that appealing to mainstream audiences is "totally not troo hardcore, man".
Bands like this don't make alot of money, something pmeg refuses to believe (then again, to certain mainstream-hating, poor, angry and ugly "true hardcore" bands, $20 is as good as winning the lottery).
In addition, why do people think "fun" bands are a joke? I've heard it said SO MANY TIMES on this forum, any band with a slightly quirky song title or a positive attitude on life are just flamed for being "a joke band" - my god.

Just because they aren't angry with a government that they don't understand, or disgustingly militant with their SxE beliefs, doesnt mean they are "in it for the money" or "a joke band".

To conclude, I like Of Mice and Men - woo.

Thebiz
11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Come on in folks, there's plenty of troll food to go around!

pmeg568c
11-16-2009, 02:51 PM
you guys really think i don't like this band because they are mainstream and im rebellious? give me a break. The main reason i don't like this band is because their music is a bunch of cliches. you CANNOT deny that. You may like what they are doing but to deny they are writing in cliches and what gets them easily noticed is ignorant.

Appealing to mainstream audiences is fine, but that is not what hardcore was and never will be. Thats how it was founded. Its not brainwashing, its knowledge, you guys just are drowning in your ignorance and can't seem to understand.

How do you know they don't make a lot of money? Do you know them? No, you just assume that they don't make a lot of money because they aren't on a major label. Trust me these guys are pretty well off.

i dont even know how to continue, its pretty obvious that the few of you are completely missing the point and everyone else sees it and has agreed with me. Doesn't that tell you anything?

Thebiz
11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
you guys really think i don't like this band because they are mainstream and im rebellious? give me a break. The main reason i don't like this band is because their music is a bunch of cliches. you CANNOT deny that. You may like what they are doing but to deny they are writing in cliches and what gets them easily noticed is ignorant.

Appealing to mainstream audiences is fine, but that is not what hardcore was and never will be. Thats how it was founded. Its not brainwashing, its knowledge, you guys just are drowning in your ignorance and can't seem to understand.

How do you know they don't make a lot of money? Do you know them? No, you just assume that they don't make a lot of money because they aren't on a major label. Trust me these guys are pretty well off.

i dont even know how to continue, its pretty obvious that the few of you are completely missing the point and everyone else sees it and has agreed with me. Doesn't that tell you anything?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ucAEdM8CLY

Henry Rollin's philosophy on life is pretty intelligent, I agree.

nashawa
11-16-2009, 02:54 PM

I agree with most of this, but I'm 99.9% sure this band isn't making a profit
And if they are, it's barely anything at all.

lordofthefood1
11-16-2009, 03:02 PM
I actually saw Attack Attack! live when they still had Austin, and I can say that his screams sounded almost exactly like they did on their demos. He might have put effects on it live, but I see it no different than putting effects on a guitar :shrug:
I'm not saying you aren't allowed to, I'm saying that if you took off the effects that he would sound like ever old average lameo out there. If this band set up a few songs differently and had better screaming, they could be one of the better of the formula (but I sound weird typing that)

ADTR > TDWP > oMaM
:p:

pmeg568c
11-16-2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ucAEdM8CLY

Henry Rollin's philosophy on life is pretty intelligent, I agree.

haha dude you are still missing the point. what does the attitude of 80s hardcore bands have anything to do with what we are discussing. Hardcore is about going against the mainstream. It just is. Thats not to say you can't like anything mainstream but when a band gains mainstream success from a bastardized hardcore image, its wrong.

NY_FootBall49
11-16-2009, 04:54 PM
Just because they have mainstream influences DOES NOT make this band a joke. If anything, it just makes them more diverse, and, in turn, better musicians. If you knew anything about Attack Attack besides the crabcore trend they unintentionally started, you'd know that the interview was on the new(er) lead singer of the band. He shouldn't be expected to have any contributing influences since he was dropped into the band playing another lyricist's songs. If they were to have interviewed Austin on the same topics, the interview would have been much more coherent.

Yes, their music is actually about playing what they want, or else they wouldn't be doing it. Most of them have significant others or are decent in their moral choices, so they really don't have the mindset of bands from the '80s.

Also, you seriously come off as a mindless follower who goes through the "rebellious" mindsets because it makes you better than everyone else. There are a ton of people like you, and you're much worse than the mainstream followers that listen to what they want regardless of the idiots like you trying to put down the music they enjoy listening to.

Seriously though, if I were a mod I would have warned almost everyone in this thread for contributing nothing but pointless arguing and general ignorance/stupidity.

Doing Lady Gaga covers is the definition of a joke. How does having pop influences make you diverse pop music is rarely groundbreaking if ever b/c if you break the mainstream you are no longer mainstream. Your seriously making it like these guys are doing something special. They take this horrible auto-tuned synth breakdown garbage that the Devil Wears Prada started and somehow did it worse. The clean vocals are terrible and so horribly auto-tuned. The guitarists are terrible and the songwriting is really pretty bad. And these guys sound pretty much like your average pop band with screaming and " crushing breakdowns d00dz". Seriously compare it to any song that comes on the radio pulsing two-step riff and synth. THat interview was a joke all that idiot wanted to do was talk about there t-shirts not how he influenced there music no just there colorful t-shirts.

And who are there influences??? Other -core bands don't want to be associated with this morons. Other bands repeatedly call these type of bands and there self proclaimed innovation is bullshit they take EVERY BAD POP CLICHE and EVERY BAD METALCORE CLICHE ( brutal breakdowns d00dz) and mix it together and claim it originality. Taking two cliched things that bad bands have all ready done poorly and putting them together is not original its terrible. That right there is why every one hates these bands.

BGSM
11-16-2009, 05:24 PM

+1. Great post.

I seriously cannot see how anyone can think this band is original, in the slightest.

nashawa
11-16-2009, 05:26 PM
+1. Great post.

I seriously cannot see how anyone can think this band is original, in the slightest.
Except for the obvious misconception that these guys are making money.

BGSM
11-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Honestly I wouldn't have a clue whether or not these guys are well off or not, but I'm far more likely to believe pmeg than the scene kids that like this band who think they know anything about hardcore.

nashawa
11-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Honestly I wouldn't have a clue whether or not these guys are well off or not, but I'm far more likely to believe pmeg than the scene kids that like this band who think they know anything about hardcore.
Oh most definitely, but this band isn't big in any sense. That was my only point.

Okeefe Is Legit
11-16-2009, 10:26 PM

Believe it or not, I've tried countless times to get into hardcore, and while I don't prefer it, I do recognize it as music and appreciate it for that matter.

Pmeg is talking out of his ass. He has no idea what this band wants to do nor what their aims are.

I've said it a million times, Attack Attack! actually had a really good reputation until Nick joined the group. I will admit that it wasn't nick alone that made their reputation completely drop, but he sure as hell contributed the most to it with that terrible interview. If you took out the music video they made and that interview, you would have no basis as to what the intention of that band is.

Maybe I'm too open minded for this argument...

Also, here's austin screaming unfiltered (or so it says). I'm 99% positive it's his actual voice as I've heard him scream unmic'd on a youtube video forever ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHaugLYc5d0

Magero
11-16-2009, 10:45 PM
+1 on both counts Magero <3

Also Okeefe i agree with everything.

People appear to be brainwashed into thinking that appealing to mainstream audiences is "totally not troo hardcore, man".
Bands like this don't make alot of money, something pmeg refuses to believe (then again, to certain mainstream-hating, poor, angry and ugly "true hardcore" bands, $20 is as good as winning the lottery).
In addition, why do people think "fun" bands are a joke? I've heard it said SO MANY TIMES on this forum, any band with a slightly quirky song title or a positive attitude on life are just flamed for being "a joke band" - my god.

Just because they aren't angry with a government that they don't understand, or disgustingly militant with their SxE beliefs, doesnt mean they are "in it for the money" or "a joke band".

To conclude, I like Of Mice and Men - woo.
And this is why I respect you.

tancanada
11-17-2009, 06:44 PM

Are you saying that you cant like troo hardcore and this stuff? Cause I enjoy my Minor Threat as well as my OM&M

BGSM
11-17-2009, 07:15 PM
Wasn't saying that at all. I agree with what Vald said.

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 07:40 PM
Are you saying that you cant like troo hardcore and this stuff? Cause I enjoy my Minor Threat as well as my OM&M

i would honestly question how much you really like minor threat if you think of mice and men is a good band.

tancanada
11-17-2009, 09:18 PM
i would honestly question how much you really like minor threat if you think of mice and men is a good band.

what would be the whole point of me saying that if i DIDNT like minor threat?

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 09:34 PM
the point is that minor threat defines hardcore and of mice and men ruin it and for you could very easily be "pretending" to like minor threat just to try and prove that you have credibility. not to say its true but many people will do that.

tancanada
11-17-2009, 09:55 PM
the point is that minor threat defines hardcore and of mice and men ruin it and for you could very easily be "pretending" to like minor threat just to try and prove that you have credibility. not to say its true but many people will do that.

if anything people in my clique would disown me if i blared minor threat while i was driving, so i dont think id pretend to like them. if anything i keep my love for them out of sight.
by the way its really stupid to group OM&M in with old 80's hardcore bands, their genres have the same name but if you talk about bands like black flag and the buzzcocks and such being troo hardcore then its really dumb to put them into the same group as OM&M, DDG, AA! and all those bands. I highly doubt that Austin even listens to bands like minor threat

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 10:02 PM
then you should get some friends who aren't ignorant? obviously we SHOULDn't group bands like minor threat and this band together but the fact is that in today's music scene bands like this are seen as hardcore, because the general music listening population is ignorant. Which should be the case because hardcore never was or is mainstream, so the people who listen to bands like this wouldn't have any clue about "troo hardcore" Thats the problem we have here.

tancanada
11-17-2009, 10:07 PM
then you should get some friends who aren't ignorant? obviously we SHOULDn't group bands like minor threat and this band together but the fact is that in today's music scene bands like this are seen as hardcore, because the general music listening population is ignorant. Which should be the case because hardcore never was or is mainstream, so the people who listen to bands like this wouldn't have any clue about "troo hardcore" Thats the problem we have here.

I dunno, i guess what i was trying to say is that the people who gave the 'scene' bands the genre name hardcore werent thinking 'ooh, this band is EXACTLY like black flag, lets call it hardcore too! ololol' Its not a case of ignorance more than just them using a word to describe their music.

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 10:09 PM
they can't just use a word to describe the music that is already an established genre for over 20 years though dude haha. If they weren't ignorant they would have known that, then noticed it sounded nothing alike, and then not called it that.

Magero
11-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Man, I honestly don't see what the big deal is. Just because he enjoys a band that helped establish a scene doesn't mean he can't enjoy band's that you think are "ruining" it.
Scenes come and go, music stays around. There are still people writing nu-metal ffs. (inb4 emmure).

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 10:22 PM
whatever i dunno what to say anymore. No one can even fathom what im trying to say, they just keep missing the point.

Magero
11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
From what I read, you were saying that this band is destroying what bands like Minor Thread have built up.

I just don't agree. Everyone has an opinion, man.

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 10:28 PM
no you missed the past 2 pages where i explained in detail why in fact they ARE. you can have an opinion but there is such a thing as a more educated objective opinion.

nashawa
11-17-2009, 10:46 PM
Wow... this thread hurts my head...

Magero
11-17-2009, 10:57 PM
no you missed the past 2 pages where i explained in detail why in fact they ARE. you can have an opinion but there is such a thing as a more educated objective opinion.
*shrugs*
The way I see it, scenes do come and go. Like I pointed out, people are still forming nu-metal bands, and the only nu-metal band to still being going nearly as strong as they were when it was a "scene" is Slipknot. I can't see how bands like this are destroying a scene... a scene is a collective consciousness. Something is always going to come along and change something, and if you don't like it, just ignore it. You're acting like this whole "scene kids playing core for the radio" is a new thing. Metal heads always run into hiding and start throwing sharp rocks whenever something threatens their territory, now you're doing the same. Who cares. Let the kids have their fun, let the fans enjoy the music and you go back to enjoying whatever it is that you do enjoy.

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 11:02 PM
hardcore isn't a scene, its a genre of music. so is metal. so is nu-metal. The problem with you people is your attitude is, whatever man just let them do what they want who cares. apathy is rarely the right way to go. The people who care are the ones that don't like to see their favorite style of music be totally bastardized, and while the real musicians sit around because their isnt a market for that, there is a huge market for cliches and things that are easy for people, and the human ear to understand. Its just wrong when bands make money off what the real musicians started, when they should be the ones in the spotlight. If you aren't passionate about that I doubt how passionate you are about music.

tancanada
11-17-2009, 11:20 PM
hardcore isn't a scene, its a genre of music. so is metal. so is nu-metal. The problem with you people is your attitude is, whatever man just let them do what they want who cares. apathy is rarely the right way to go. The people who care are the ones that don't like to see their favorite style of music be totally bastardized, and while the real musicians sit around because their isnt a market for that, there is a huge market for cliches and things that are easy for people, and the human ear to understand. Its just wrong when bands make money off what the real musicians started, when they should be the ones in the spotlight. If you aren't passionate about that I doubt how passionate you are about music.

Yeah, its called music. Your allowed to do whatever you want cause its MUSIC.

And also,
Its just wrong when bands make money off what the real musicians started, when they should be the ones in the spotlight.

Do any of these new hardcore bands do anything any of the old hardcore bands do? You yourself said that these nu-hardcore bands are destroying the scene, yet you say that?^^ Youre contradicting yourself.

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 11:23 PM
I am a firm believer that unless you know music and know what you are doing, you should NOT be making music, no matter how badly you want to. If you don't get it, don't try to. it just ruins music. It is unfair to the real musician, and floods the music industry with terrible music instead of good music

Do any of these new hardcore bands do anything any of the old hardcore bands do? You yourself said that these nu-hardcore bands are destroying the scene, yet you say that?^^ Youre contradicting yourself.

uh that statement is not contradictory? Its unfair for bands like this and attack attack to take "hardcore" influences and get success from it when band with actual music talent and who actually write music that can be classified as hardcore? I dont see how that is contradictory

tancanada
11-17-2009, 11:26 PM
Well I can understand if your Brokencyde and just using garage band to throw up generic rap beats over squealing, but last time I checked bands in the 'scene' like AA!, AA, ISS, OM&M, WCAR, and aaaalll those bands can play instruments, which means they understand music.
And btw minor threat werent exactly masterful composers either, yknow.

uh that statement is not contradictory? Its unfair for bands like this and attack attack to take "hardcore" influences and get success from it when band with actual music talent and who actually write music that can be classified as hardcore? I dont see how that is contradictory

dude, your trying to say that attack attack takes stuff from old hardcore.
now i may not be catching your drift, but uh,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpzoUbTXn1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQtl0ypU44
those two songs dont exactly sound alike to me. at all.

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 11:33 PM
Well I can understand if your Brokencyde and just using garage band to throw up generic rap beats over squealing, but last time I checked bands in the 'scene' like AA!, AA, ISS, OM&M, WCAR, and aaaalll those bands can play instruments, which means they understand music.
And btw minor threat werent exactly masterful composers either, yknow.

dude, your trying to say that attack attack takes stuff from old hardcore.
now i may not be catching your drift, but uh,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpzoUbTXn1k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXQtl0ypU44
those two songs dont exactly sound alike to me. at all.

really? you really think that? That is the most common misconception ever. Guitar players especially, just because you can play an instrument does NOT even remotely mean you are a musician and/or understand music. That is a fact.

I don't necessarily mean they take stuff directly from old hardcore man, im saying they obviously have taken influence from hardcore over its development. Somewhere along the lines, hardcore had breakdowns, the least musical most overused aspect of the music. Since kids eat that shit up and it is easy to write they use it in their music. see what i mean?

tancanada
11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
really? you really think that? That is the most common misconception ever. Guitar players especially, just because you can play an instrument does NOT even remotely mean you are a musician and/or understand music. That is a fact.

I don't necessarily mean they take stuff directly from old hardcore man, im saying they obviously have taken influence from hardcore over its development. Somewhere along the lines, hardcore had breakdowns, the least musical most overused aspect of the music. Since kids eat that shit up and it is easy to write they use it in their music. see what i mean?

Well maybe not in this synthy genre, but what about deathcore kinda stuff like, say, BMTH? They write some pretty complicated stuff, or they did at least back in the CYB days.

And you shouldve specified that, lol you got me on an unneccesary rant there for a while :p:

But hey, just for the record you dont need to understand music to be a musician. Not every huge moneymaking band out there knows every nook and cranny of music theory but they do alright.

pmeg568c
11-17-2009, 11:46 PM
But hey, just for the record you dont need to understand music to be a musician. Not every huge moneymaking band out there knows every nook and cranny of music theory but they do alright.

In some cases this can be true, but it quite obviously isn't the case with these bands.

12shinn21
11-18-2009, 12:20 AM
I agree with pmeg mostly, in my opinion bands like this just seem to come along and shoot for instant fame from rehashed cliches rather than just writing something interesting or creative. This might sound retarded, but I think if a band wants people's attention and money they should at least write something that's worth it.

At the same time though there's nothing wrong with liking these bands. It's just myself and the vast majority of people into "troo hardcore" just want something more than what these bands have to offer.

lordneezi
11-18-2009, 12:32 AM
Go OM&M!

Okeefe Is Legit
11-18-2009, 12:47 AM
I am a firm believer that unless you know music and know what you are doing, you should NOT be making music, no matter how badly you want to. If you don't get it, don't try to. it just ruins music. It is unfair to the real musician, and floods the music industry with terrible music instead of good music

Based on your logic, 95% of all true hardcore bands should cease to exist. Just because you can downpick 8th note powerchords over 120bpm does not make you automatically give you all the knowledge of music. Even bands like AA! and OM&M have more difficult instrumentals than '80s hardcore. I don't believe anyone fully "understands" music either, or else there would be no motivation to progress.

I can't imagine you having any friends in real life. You probably flip shit on people over the stupidest/smallest things. Hell, in my group of friends, you'd be considered "that guy".

birdman267
11-18-2009, 12:48 AM
Before the myspace music player loaded i closed the page because of the appearance of the band and the myspace itself

saxaxe
11-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Shitty bands really set pmeg off. haha
More than I even thought.

ITT:
http://sithoughts.mu.nu/archives/trainwreck.jpg

nashawa
11-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Cerebral LOLsy

pmeg568c
11-18-2009, 01:59 AM
i get set off by very few bands, but attack attack and their permutations are some of the worst "music" i have seen in years.

and ok dude you can think whatever you want about me haha. the fact is i work at my school in a computer lab where i sit at a computer for hours on end. I enjoy ripping on bands i don't like and people who are ignorant and at the end of the day, i forget about it, and go back to my friends. I am just very passionate about music and hate seeing any kind of band ruin it.

And the thing that makes hardcore different is because even though its not musically inspired (although lots of is it) the people have a reason to be angry and feel like outcasts and rebel. Band like attack attack and the like have a completely fake persona and don't stand for anything. If you are going to write questionable music you better have something you stand for and are passionate about. Which this band quite obviously does not.

lordneezi
11-18-2009, 03:02 AM
i get set off by very few bands, but attack attack and their permutations are some of the worst "music" i have seen in years.

and ok dude you can think whatever you want about me haha. the fact is i work at my school in a computer lab where i sit at a computer for hours on end. I enjoy ripping on bands i don't like and people who are ignorant and at the end of the day, i forget about it, and go back to my friends. I am just very passionate about music and hate seeing any kind of band ruin it.

And the thing that makes hardcore different is because even though its not musically inspired (although lots of is it) the people have a reason to be angry and feel like outcasts and rebel. Band like attack attack and the like have a completely fake persona and don't stand for anything. If you are going to write questionable music you better have something you stand for and are passionate about. Which this band quite obviously does not.

You don't know them. How do you know they don't stand for anything? and aren't passionate about what they write?

-tempest-
11-18-2009, 03:12 AM
You don't know them. How do you know they don't stand for anything? and aren't passionate about what they write?
You never said that this would be easy,
So go on live,
So go on live.

WOOOOOO!

This is the best part of the message,
And it only took one.

We live for what He's worth,
And that's more than you'll know.
He died for what He loved,
And what he loved was you.

I'll wait for you,
You know I'll wait for you,
I'll wait for you,
You know I'll wait for you.

So go on live,
So go on live.

Bow your head,
Go on live.

This is the time to let yourself go,
Lord pick me off the ground,
You never said this would be simple,
So pull me in and turn around.

i know your a fan and all but come on, these are some of the worst lyrics ive read.

nashawa
11-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Get on your knees and start pleasing Jesus.

-tempest-
11-18-2009, 03:18 AM
Get on your knees and start pleasing Jesus.
:haha idk why i found that funny, besides the fact that it strengthens this bands fake(imo) image.

edit:

can't believe i missed this lol

Before the myspace music player loaded i closed the page because of the appearance of the band and the myspace itself

solid, but ignorant, move dude; it only gets worse from there on.

xRenegadEx
11-18-2009, 03:39 AM
This thread is retarded lolz. Thus making me retarded ,but w/e.

People like it people don't like it who cares this band will be gone in a year or two. Besides scene kids only want to hear "teh br00talz drop z palm mute breaksdowns with teh epic growlzzzzzzzz"

nashawa
11-18-2009, 03:46 AM
^I'm going to start a band that plays in drop Z

:haha idk why i found that funny, besides the fact that it strengthens this bands fake(imo) image.
Perhaps the sexual innuendo?

-tempest-
11-18-2009, 03:58 AM
^I'm going to start a band that plays in drop Z

Perhaps the sexual innuendo?
perhaps i was, im usually not that immature though lol

nashawa
11-18-2009, 04:21 AM
perhaps i was, im usually not that immature though lol
Oh man, I totally am though, so it's okay.

-tempest-
11-18-2009, 04:24 AM
Oh man, I totally am though, so it's okay.
word son haha

lespaul1216
11-18-2009, 04:18 PM
these guys sound like a REALLY BAD AA! tribute band. and they all look completely gay

nashawa
11-18-2009, 04:19 PM
^Thanks troll! Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

Valderama
11-18-2009, 04:39 PM
these guys sound like a REALLY BAD AA! tribute band. and they all look completely gay
Yea, they would look so much cooler if they all wore matching black tank tops and just generally looked greasy :rolleyes:
http://www.musicheadquarter.de/images/artist_event/bullet-for-my-valentine/bullet-for-my-valentine.jpg

nashawa
11-18-2009, 04:42 PM
random douchebaggery

Dude, you have an AA! avatar (I think). Don't be judging other people on theirs.

-tempest-
11-18-2009, 07:47 PM
whats wrong with being gay big guy?

Edit:^i think the avatar is a joke, but i couldn't care less haha

lespaul1216
11-18-2009, 08:17 PM
of mice and men/AA! fans are fun. really easy to agrivate. have fun with your insecurities and lack of the ability to deal with criticism!

Yea, they would look so much cooler if they all wore matching black tank tops and just generally looked greasy

y'know what's hilarious? you have an AA! avatar from a video where they all wear matching black V-neck T-Shirts :haha: :haha: :haha:

and i do indeed think Bullet looks a hell of a lot cooler than AA!/Of Mice

Okeefe Is Legit
11-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Dude, you have an AA! avatar (I think). Don't be judging other people on theirs.

Valderama may say some stupid stuff on these forums, but at least he has somewhat valid reasons to support his points, unlike half the posters in this thread.

And lespaul, I don't know about you, but I would much rather look gay than like an asshat/douchebag.

BGSM
11-18-2009, 09:05 PM
their appearance isn't so bad, it's the fact that the first thing you see when you get to their myspace page is see a huge photo of them in generic scene poses and it immediately becomes evident they're more focussed on their appearance than the music itself.

-tempest-
11-18-2009, 09:14 PM
of mice and men/AA! fans are fun. really easy to agrivate. have fun with your insecurities and lack of the ability to deal with criticism!

so your a troll?

lespaul1216
11-18-2009, 09:25 PM
^kind of i guess, i actually believe this stuff, i'm not just saying all of this for the sake of trolling, i actually hate AA!/mice and men and wish they'd just stop

nashawa
11-18-2009, 09:41 PM
Valderama may say some stupid stuff on these forums, but at least he has somewhat valid reasons to support his points, unlike half the posters in this thread.

And lespaul, I don't know about you, but I would much rather look gay than like an asshat/douchebag.
I think everyone believes their reasons are valid. Validity is subject to interpretation.

Magero
11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
You're an idiot. I've given up on reason now. You're just a literal idiot. Do you even actually read what you write?
I'm pretty sure most of the original punk and hardcore bands didn't give a fuck about knowing music or being a musician. You're pulling the "they don't know what they're doing" card, for bands that clearly have more clue what they are doing than most of the originators you're praising. Jesus christ.
It's.
Music.

Rule 1.
Do.What.Ever.You.Want.
Rule 2.
DO IT AGAIN

You're enforcing your own set of disciplines (that don't make sense) on people who are doing exactly what music was created for. ENJOYMENT.

GET
OVER
YOUR
SELF
I think everyone believes their reasons are valid. Validity is subject to interpretation.
Not really.
If I believe Elvis is still alive, that's not a valid theory considering I know where they buried him. :rolleyes:

Thebiz
11-18-2009, 09:49 PM
This thread needs more love.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u167/Photogragorn/hug.jpg

But to be on topic, OMAM aren't really bad...but they aren't really great either. They will mostly gain recognition singularly for their vocalist, but hey, that happens with a lot of scene bands anyhow.

Come to think of it, I could compare them to the movie 2012, which I just saw. 2012 satisfies you if all you come to see is John Cusack surviving through ridiculous situations and explosions and destruction, just like OMAM satisfies you if you are a fan of the scene they are a part of.

Okeefe Is Legit
11-18-2009, 10:04 PM
^kind of i guess, i actually believe this stuff, i'm not just saying all of this for the sake of trolling, i actually hate AA!/mice and men and wish they'd just stop

I kind of wish BFMV would just stop :cheers:

nashawa
11-18-2009, 10:07 PM
Rule 1.
Do.What.Ever.You.Want.
Rule 2.
DO IT AGAIN

You're enforcing your own set of disciplines (that don't make sense) on people who are doing exactly what music was created for. ENJOYMENT.

GET
OVER
YOUR
SELF

/pointless arguing

Seriously, can we all just move on now that this point has been made?
I don't think anyone can argue with this, so let's just stop.

NY_FootBall49
11-18-2009, 10:18 PM
This is just getting dumb now. First of all there's a lot of generalization's going on. A lot of hardcore bands right ridiculously simple stuff and care more about being in a hardcore band and hanging with people but there's been a lot of evolution since that 3 chord punk stuff.

Second I get really pissed off when fans of bands like OM&M and AA! and TDWP somehow claim originality with there music they take the worst things from 2 genres of music and thing it something different. Just b/c you take to things done together but done before doesn't make you original. These bands like AA! and OM&M and WCAR might as well be TDWP cover bands. TDWP started this and for some reason it made the scene kids wet there girl jeans and they became one of the most mainstream -core bands. Now these dudes just hopped on the bandwagon.

And it really pisses people off when people turn something you love into the latest fashion trend. B/c thats all there music is a fashion trend nothing more nothing less. I mean everything is subjective but look at these bands they all look the same dress the same talk the same. Like my girlfriend spend more time doing there hair and picking out clothes then making music.

There music sucks there not doing anything difficult. The singer sucks auto-tune his voice until you can't tell how much he sucks. The guitarist sucks abuse breakdowns. No other reason anyone will like us so jump onto the latest fashion trend.

To prove I'm not just hating on something popular I really like The Word Alivesounds like these bands w/o the synth and they don't suck. Isanely talented musicians. The clean vox give it a poppy feel. Hell one of the most respected bands on this site Protest The Hero has clean vox and poppy elements.

Magero
11-18-2009, 10:29 PM
1. TDWP hardly sound like AA!.
2. The auto-tune is on purpose to add a new element to their sound. Not saying it's amazing, not saying it's revolutionary, just pointing out that they tried something new.
3. I still don't see why people get so upset. None of these bands are making any sort of real money out of it, you never see these bands being shown off as the latest inovators of music in mainstream media, you never hear about these bands unless you're actually IN the scene. Who cares?
4. Since when is music about how much you can do on an instrument?

Thebiz
11-18-2009, 10:34 PM
+1. In my opinion, it's not about how good you are with your instrument, it's what you do with it that counts.

Case in point: Tom Morello

NY_FootBall49
11-18-2009, 10:44 PM
1. TDWP hardly sound like AA!.
2. The auto-tune is on purpose to add a new element to their sound. Not saying it's amazing, not saying it's revolutionary, just pointing out that they tried something new.
3. I still don't see why people get so upset. None of these bands are making any sort of real money out of it, you never see these bands being shown off as the latest inovators of music in mainstream media, you never hear about these bands unless you're actually IN the scene. Who cares?
4. Since when is music about how much you can do on an instrument?

1.Maybe not but TDWP started this so they can take responsibilty.
2.The auto-tune is not on purpose and it sounds obnoxious, they can say what they want doesn't make it true.
3.Some people (probably nobody on this site) play music for a career have the right to be pissed off.
4.Music is about trying to write something original and just trying period. There not even trying there just taking something already popular and doing that same exact thing.

I don't really care what they do but all these scene kids are annoying. They think there hardcore or belong b/c they wear tighter jeans then my girlfriend and have that stupid scene haircut. People have a reason to annoyed something you love is being turned into a meaningless fashion trend it's annoying. And it takes away from bands that deserve the popularity. I know I know it's subjective but bands like Shai Hulud that started a genre and inspired many many bands get no attention. So yea when you listen to a band for a long time and you see them struggling and you see these douche bags prospering it gets annoying.

NY_FootBall49
11-18-2009, 10:45 PM
+1. In my opinion, it's not about how good you are with your instrument, it's what you do with it that counts.

Case in point: Tom Morello

And what they do with it is open string breakdowns and poorly written two-step riffs.

BGSM
11-18-2009, 10:47 PM
more discussing about the band!!!!!!!

really amped for their full length.

:haha:

nashawa
11-18-2009, 11:22 PM
This is just getting dumb now.
And you writing walls of text to further argue about a band that will always be at the centre of controversy on this forum is what? Intelligent?

I give up. I have to realize one day that internet arguments are ridiculous...

Magero
11-18-2009, 11:38 PM
No accounting for people's irrational hatred of anything that doesn't conform to their strict set of moral guidelines.

-tempest-
11-18-2009, 11:58 PM
And you writing walls of text to further argue about a band that will always be at the centre of controversy on this forum is what? Intelligent?

I give up. I have to realize one day that internet arguments are ridiculous...
people have strong opinions i guess :shrug:. i don't think they'll ever stop arguing over it. some will accept other opinions and most will fight about it.

And what they do with it is open string breakdowns and poorly written two-step riffs.

you could make simple generalizations like this about anything.

Okeefe Is Legit
11-19-2009, 12:02 AM
This is just getting dumb now. First of all there's a lot of generalization's going on. A lot of hardcore bands right ridiculously simple stuff and care more about being in a hardcore band and hanging with people but there's been a lot of evolution since that 3 chord punk stuff.

Second I get really pissed off when fans of bands like OM&M and AA! and TDWP somehow claim originality with there music they take the worst things from 2 genres of music and thing it something different. Just b/c you take to things done together but done before doesn't make you original. These bands like AA! and OM&M and WCAR might as well be TDWP cover bands. TDWP started this and for some reason it made the scene kids wet there girl jeans and they became one of the most mainstream -core bands. Now these dudes just hopped on the bandwagon.

And it really pisses people off when people turn something you love into the latest fashion trend. B/c thats all there music is a fashion trend nothing more nothing less. I mean everything is subjective but look at these bands they all look the same dress the same talk the same. Like my girlfriend spend more time doing there hair and picking out clothes then making music.

There music sucks there not doing anything difficult. The singer sucks auto-tune his voice until you can't tell how much he sucks. The guitarist sucks abuse breakdowns. No other reason anyone will like us so jump onto the latest fashion trend.

To prove I'm not just hating on something popular I really like The Word Alivesounds like these bands w/o the synth and they don't suck. Isanely talented musicians. The clean vox give it a poppy feel. Hell one of the most respected bands on this site Protest The Hero has clean vox and poppy elements.

Oh my god, you're actually right. I totally started a band in this genre to get rich and famous and be able to **** scene sluts every night after my shows. All this and I only had to write a few melodies in between some chugs. Oh yeah did I tell you that I hate music in general? I totally do.

I can't fathom any touring band, no matter how ****ed up their morals are, even thinking all of that. Playing live music that you've created is an awesome feeling, especially when people like it. Some bands are fueled by that and want to have that level of satisfaction as a job.

saxaxe
11-19-2009, 12:08 AM
Band is shit, but to say they're only in it to get popular and get scene girls is ignorant. I have no doubt they enjoy what they play, it's just awful music. If they were in it to make money and get laid, they'd be playing pop.
That said, this type of music is undeniably a trend and will probably die out in the next 4 or 5 years. I mean look at disco or hair metal; sure people enjoyed playing it and listened to it because they enjoyed it, but then after a few years, they were like "Wow. Shit sucks."

-tempest-
11-19-2009, 12:09 AM
Oh my god, you're actually right. I totally started a band in this genre to get rich and famous and be able to **** scene sluts every night after my shows. All this and I only had to write a few melodies in between some chugs. Oh yeah did I tell you that I hate music in general? I totally do.

I can't fathom any touring band, no matter how ****ed up their morals are, even thinking all of that. Playing live music that you've created is an awesome feeling, especially when people like it. Some bands are fueled by that and want to have that level of satisfaction as a job.
i absolutely agree with you. people are making music a competition instead of entertainment. music is about writing songs, not to show off how good you can shed, how wide your vocal range is, how extensive your theory background is, or how well you get get around your drum set. while all these things help; they're useless if your not writing songs.

/really off track/topic rant

Okeefe Is Legit
11-19-2009, 12:15 AM
i absolutely agree with you. people are making music a competition instead of entertainment. music is about writing songs, not to show off how good you can shed, how wide your vocal range is, how extensive your theory background is, or how well you get get around your drum set. while all these things help; they're useless if your not writing songs.

/really off track/topic rant

Yeah, I mean I love to push the limits of my playing even in the stuff that I write, but sometimes I'll just make up a super easy riff that I'll just let be since it sounds good to me.

And saxaxe, I can actually kind of see that happening, but who knows, some of us may still like this shit even as the trends change. I don't have much to base off, but I think I'll at least accept the entertainment I get from bands like this in the future, as I still do with Linkin Park, even though I don't like them very much anymore :shrug:

saxaxe
11-19-2009, 12:17 AM
And saxaxe, I can actually kind of see that happening, but who knows, some of us may still like this shit even as the trends change. I don't have much to base off, but I think I'll at least accept the entertainment I get from bands like this in the future, as I still do with Linkin Park, even though I don't like them very much anymore :shrug:
I mean it will definitely have straggling fans, as disco and hair metal (And nu metal to a point) still do. I'm not saying there's something wrong with that fact or with you liking these bands, this is just all my observations.

-tempest-
11-19-2009, 12:30 AM
I mean it will definitely have straggling fans, as disco and hair metal (And nu metal to a point) still do. I'm not saying there's something wrong with that fact or with you liking these bands, this is just all my observations.
+1 i think ill continue to enjoy the few good metalcore bands after the trend is gone.

Yeah, I mean I love to push the limits of my playing even in the stuff that I write, but sometimes I'll just make up a super easy riff that I'll just let be since it sounds good to me.

exactly, theres nothing wrong with a simple riff if it sounds good.

Magero
11-19-2009, 12:42 AM
Band is shit, but to say they're only in it to get popular and get scene girls is ignorant. I have no doubt they enjoy what they play, it's just awful music. If they were in it to make money and get laid, they'd be playing pop.
That said, this type of music is undeniably a trend and will probably die out in the next 4 or 5 years. I mean look at disco or hair metal; sure people enjoyed playing it and listened to it because they enjoyed it, but then after a few years, they were like "Wow. Shit sucks."
This.
Times a thousand.

Seriously. Fads come and go. If you really believe in a genre, you're going to keep following it, no matter if it's popular or not.

saxaxe
11-19-2009, 12:56 AM
I love being the voice of reason. :p:

nashawa
11-19-2009, 12:57 AM
I love being the voice of reason. :p:
You got that quote in your sig for a reason.

xRenegadEx
11-19-2009, 02:23 AM
All I'm seeing (maybe I'm just dumb) is "This band sucks because they aren't true to hardcore" or "This band sucks because band B is better" or "This band sucks because they aren't the most original thing ever created."

Magero
11-19-2009, 02:27 AM
Nah, that's pretty much it.

nashawa
11-19-2009, 02:36 AM
I, for one, just don't enjoy the style. None of the above reasons really apply to my dislike of the music.

pmeg568c
11-19-2009, 03:13 AM
All I'm seeing (maybe I'm just dumb) is "This band sucks because they aren't true to hardcore" or "This band sucks because band B is better" or "This band sucks because they aren't the most original thing ever created."

no and no to magero. Many people in this thread have explained to you why we dislike bands like these and none of the reasons have been "because they aren't true hardcore" or "because they aren't the most original thing ever" how many times do i have to tell you you are missing the point.

Magero
11-19-2009, 03:14 AM
You just keep standing there saying "THEY'RE RUINING HARDCORE" over and over again like a spoilt child.
We get it.
You don't like them.
Whinging about it on the internet really solves the problem, doesn't it?

-tempest-
11-19-2009, 12:16 PM
@pmeg:

if you really hate these bands ignore them

nashawa
11-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Whinging about it on the internet really solves the problem, doesn't it?
It doesn't? Oh man... I've been going about this all wrong.
I need to rethink my life a little.

-tempest-
11-19-2009, 02:15 PM
^ lol

lespaul1216
11-19-2009, 05:15 PM

no, the auto-tune is to disguise his lack of talent

Okeefe Is Legit
11-19-2009, 08:17 PM

no, the auto-tune is to disguise his lack of talent

auto tune doesn't help at all if you can't sing a melody, and that takes some talent. He does have talent in singing, just not as much as the people you see on american idol and whatnot.

nashawa
11-19-2009, 08:36 PM
auto tune doesn't help at all if you can't sing a melody, and that takes some talent. He does have talent in singing, just not as much as the people you see on american idol and whatnot.
And even then, what's typically seen as "good" singing is usually boring and ridiculous. I love Robert Smith's singing, but he's not a typical "good" singer.

And yeah, the auto tune is obviously on purpose. If you're just trying to cover up pitchiness and you can hear the autotune, then your producer sucks really bad.

Magero
11-19-2009, 09:17 PM
^The effect IS on purpose, because they were trying to incorporate trance themes into their music. Ie: dance beats and a vocoder. It's a vocoder people. A little keyboard that works like a distortion pedal for the voice. Used a lot in pop and trance.
This.

nashawa
11-19-2009, 09:24 PM
^The effect IS on purpose, because they were trying to incorporate trance themes into their music. Ie: dance beats and a vocoder. It's a vocoder people. A little keyboard that works like a distortion pedal for the voice. Used a lot in pop and trance.

I don't get this post. It's sounds like you're arguing with me even though I agree with you.

tancanada
11-20-2009, 09:18 AM
And yeah, the auto tune is obviously on purpose. If you're just trying to cover up pitchiness and you can hear the autotune, then your producer sucks really bad.

I agree with you, autotune in the metalcore genre isnt nearly as horrendous as it is in most pop songs, IMO

Magero
11-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I don't get this post. It's sounds like you're arguing with me even though I agree with you.
No, I'm on your side. Just worded my post a bit sloppily :p:

nashawa
11-20-2009, 01:22 PM
No, I'm on your side. Just worded my post a bit sloppily :p:
Hah alright then
:cheers:

lespaul1216
11-21-2009, 11:43 AM
I agree with you, autotune in the metalcore genre isnt nearly as horrendous as it is in most pop songs, IMO
well, in most. i personally don't like it in this band. but in like ADTR, they only do it to the screams and it sounds fine. i get what your saying though

Toph Rulez D00d
11-22-2009, 06:33 PM
You do realize it's all opinion...If you think the bands sucks, then screw you don't listen to them and get over the fact that they are famous and you are not, or whatever reason it is that gets your panties all bunched up. You cannot go and put words in there mouths that they don't like there music, and they are doing it for the chicks....that's just ridiculous.

But like I said, stop making up excuses that have nothing to do with anything and no proof whatsoever. If you don't like them, great, don't listen to them. If you do like, also great, keep listening to them and support them.

nashawa
11-22-2009, 06:49 PM
You do realize it's all opinion...If you think the bands sucks, then screw you don't listen to them and get over the fact that they are famous and you are not, or whatever reason it is that gets your panties all bunched up. You cannot go and put words in there mouths that they don't like there music, and they are doing it for the chicks....that's just ridiculous.

But like I said, stop making up excuses that have nothing to do with anything and no proof whatsoever. If you don't like them, great, don't listen to them. If you do like, also great, keep listening to them and support them.

Wow, you're a little late to the convo. You're just setting this thread up for more trolling to happen.

ps: they aren't famous

Okeefe Is Legit
11-22-2009, 07:04 PM
Wow, you're a little late to the convo. You're just setting this thread up for more trolling to happen.

ps: they aren't famous

fa⋅mous
  /ˈfeɪməs/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fey-muhs] Show IPA
Use famous in a Sentence
See web results for famous
See images of famous
–adjective
1. having a widespread reputation, usually of a favorable nature; renowned; celebrated: a famous writer.
2. Informal. first-rate; excellent: The singer gave a famous performance.
3. notorious (used pejoratively).

I'd say they are

nashawa
11-22-2009, 07:06 PM
1. having a widespread reputation,

They don't really at all. I got to a school for music, and no one else has even heard of them.

Okeefe Is Legit
11-22-2009, 07:16 PM
They don't really at all. I got to a school for music, and no one else has even heard of them.

Well the term itself is pretty subjective.

Not that myspace is a very good source at all, but having 30k friends on there means a pretty good amount of people are aware of your existence. Sure they're not a household name, but people around the country know of them, which is more than can be said about 90% of the bands out there right now/

Lappo
11-22-2009, 07:24 PM
Book genuinely made me cry. This band also came close. Not in the same way.Why did anyone post after this post?

Honestly.

(yea I'm guilty of doing so, too, before someone points that out)

nashawa
11-22-2009, 07:29 PM
Well the term itself is pretty subjective.

Not that myspace is a very good source at all, but having 30k friends on there means a pretty good amount of people are aware of your existence. Sure they're not a household name, but people around the country know of them, which is more than can be said about 90% of the bands out there right now/
Oh, okay. I can agree with that. I haven't actually spent enough time on their myspace to check the friend count.

lordneezi
12-24-2009, 06:29 PM
New Song! Second & Sebring http://www.myspace.com/ofmice

Magero
12-25-2009, 02:06 AM
Re-reading this thread just makes me realise how fucking stupid some people are. Pmeg strikes me as the kinda person who would oppose gay marriage because it tears up straight marriages.

Band is still meh.

Thebiz
01-18-2010, 01:52 AM
Apparently they sampled "A Milli" for their intro. Lolz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmIDhlqfulU&feature=channel

I'm not gonna lie, after seeing their live performances, I'm stoked for their album.

RPExecutor
01-18-2010, 02:05 AM
band does not deserve the name of the greatest depression-era novel ever written

although they don't deserve the million synthcore bashers either.

Okeefe Is Legit
01-18-2010, 02:37 AM
The novel was mediocre at best. I can see why it would be influential, but I definitely would not read it again by choice.

Yeah, this post basically has nothing to do with the band :shrug:

lordneezi
01-18-2010, 03:29 AM

I'm not gonna lie, after seeing their live performances, I'm stoked for their album.

I love the a milli intro. haha.

nashawa
01-18-2010, 02:51 PM
The novel was mediocre at best. I can see why it would be influential, but I definitely would not read it again by choice.

Yeah, this post basically has nothing to do with the band :shrug:
You can't be serious...

Book was absolutely incredibly. It's the only book to actually make me cry.

Okeefe Is Legit
01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
You can't be serious...

Book was absolutely incredibly. It's the only book to actually make me cry.

The largest emotional response I got from it was "aww that sucks," then I continued on my way to write an essay about it.

meh

alexgepgepgep
01-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Saw these guys open for Dance Gavin Dance and Emarosa. They were god awful.

tancanada
01-19-2010, 06:42 PM

Seriously.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U7VIFw26PQ
They carry so much energy when they perform, Im excited to see them live :D

Okeefe Is Legit
02-10-2010, 01:15 AM
So the album just leaked/

booooonnneerrrrrsssss

Hybrid_Xer0
02-10-2010, 02:14 AM
Im downloading it.

Going to give it a try

tancanada
02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
New album is the shiiiiittt
They Don't Call It The South For Nothing is the best song by far

Lappo
02-17-2010, 11:04 PM
gay

Hybrid_Xer0
02-18-2010, 01:51 AM
^^agreed hahah.

I couldn't get into any song.

Okeefe Is Legit
02-18-2010, 02:56 AM
I've been listening to the new album all week and I have to see there's not one just straight up bad song on the album.

technicolour
02-18-2010, 02:34 PM
The largest emotional response I got from it was "aww that sucks," then I continued on my way to write an essay about it.

meh

it was better than catcher in the rye

Okeefe Is Legit
02-18-2010, 07:21 PM
it was better than catcher in the rye

That I will definitely agree with.

lordneezi
02-18-2010, 11:29 PM
New album is the shiiiiittt
They Don't Call It The South For Nothing is the best song by far

Agreed! "I said I'd fight back! I didn't say that I'd fight fair!"

nashawa
02-19-2010, 12:48 AM
That I will definitely agree with.
Why do you dislike CitR? Book was great :/

Okeefe Is Legit
02-19-2010, 02:10 AM
Why do you dislike CitR? Book was great :/

I really liked the style Salinger used in the book, but Holden was just a little too angsty for my liking. I think my favorite part about reading that book last year is that I managed to use a liferuiner song on the follow up project I had to do and got an A out of it :haha

tancanada
02-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Agreed! "I said I'd fight back! I didn't say that I'd fight fair!"

The breakdown in that song is so sick too!

Lappo
02-19-2010, 11:26 AM
I really liked the style Salinger used in the book, but Holden was just a little too angsty for my liking. I think my favorite part about reading that book last year is that I managed to use a liferuiner song on the follow up project I had to do and got an A out of it :hahayou like liferuiner?

ugh, kill yourself

nashawa
02-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I really liked the style Salinger used in the book, but Holden was just a little too angsty for my liking. I think my favorite part about reading that book last year is that I managed to use a liferuiner song on the follow up project I had to do and got an A out of it :haha
Well yeah, but the over-angst was the point. He's just like every other teenage boy who isn't emotionally retarded.

Okeefe Is Legit
02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Well yeah, but the over-angst was the point. He's just like every other teenage boy who isn't emotionally retarded.

I just feel that if I wanted follow the story of an angsty teen, I would follow a freshman around.

And yes, I enjoy liferuiner. The members are total assholes, but their songs are really catchy. To be honest, there's not much music I don't like :shrug:

tancanada
02-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Which liferuiner are you talking about? There's 2 of em yknow :p:

Okeefe Is Legit
02-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Which liferuiner are you talking about? There's 2 of em yknow :p:

Oh y'know the real liferuiner :cool:

tancanada
02-21-2010, 02:15 AM
Oh y'know the real liferuiner :cool:

Oh nice :p: My friends band is playing with them in a couple weeks, gonna be a good show.
On topic, Second and Sebring is really growing on me

Okeefe Is Legit
02-21-2010, 01:54 PM
Oh nice :p: My friends band is playing with them in a couple weeks, gonna be a good show.
On topic, Second and Sebring is really growing on me

Oh that's cool. I was gonna go see them when they came here but then I realized they weren't the tr00 liferuiner so I was just like lol nahh j/k. That and they were playing three hours away.

zezimathehero
02-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Wow this is pretty atrocious, gonna be honest here.

nashawa
02-22-2010, 01:42 AM
I want to follow this trend and make a crabcore band with a name stolen from a wildly popular book. I'm thinking:

Dante's Inferno
The Grapes of Wrath (or any other book by Steinbeck)
The Cat in the Hat

or possibly:
1 Fish 2 Fish Red Fish Blue Fish

zezimathehero
02-22-2010, 02:02 AM
If you name it 1 fish 2 fish, I'll play guitar/tight pants.

nashawa
02-22-2010, 02:07 AM
I'll do fog machine/straightened comb-over.

-tempest-
02-22-2010, 12:05 PM
looks like i have tight clothes and pots and pans..

saxaxe
02-22-2010, 02:07 PM
I'll be the fat, shirtless bassist.

punkforlife93
02-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Dibs on limp wrist singer/screamer who sounds like a pterodactyl?