Sounds way to much like...

PDA

View Full Version : Sounds way to much like...

guitarlord28
10-23-2009, 07:45 PM
I was messing around and I came up with this:

S S S S S S S S Q Q E E
--------------------------------------
---------------------------7---5--7--
----------------------9---7---5--7--
-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9-9---7---5--7--
-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7-7---5---3--5--
-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0---------------
PM.....................

But since I play the palm muted sixteenth note E chord in the beginning, it sounds a lot like Zeppelin's Communication breakdown.
And if I ever recorded this with my band, there could be a possibility of lawsuit :shrug:

Anyone else ever create riffs that sound a lot like a particular song?

ratracekid111
10-23-2009, 07:56 PM
happens to me all the time

ibanez87
10-23-2009, 07:58 PM
If I understand the rhythm notated, no it doesn't sound too much like Communication Breakdown. It'll be fine. Record the song with your band. Zeppelin really has no right to ever sue someone for that cause they ripped off people all the time. (I'm not bashing Zep, I love Zep, but it's true)

nick_b
10-23-2009, 07:59 PM
it wasnt til about half an hour through running through this really cool riff i came up with that i realised it was the opening harmony line from 'hand of blood' by bullet for my valentine. most frustrating moment ever.

guitarlord28
10-23-2009, 08:15 PM
If I understand the rhythm notated, no it doesn't sound too much like Communication Breakdown. It'll be fine. Record the song with your band. Zeppelin really has no right to ever sue someone for that cause they ripped off people all the time. (I'm not bashing Zep, I love Zep, but it's true)

The thing is, I play the rhythm almost exactly like Page, just with the extra B note on the D string. Then I just add a different ending to it. You don't think it sounds very much like it?

BoxCarMothra
10-23-2009, 09:49 PM
God, yes. It's so frustrating. Two nights ago I was playing around and came up with a pretty cool riff/melody, but I know I've heard it before. I just can't place it, at all.

JesseBlanchard
10-23-2009, 11:14 PM
Yeh its even worse when you dont know where the riff is from.

guitarlord28
10-23-2009, 11:24 PM
God, yes. It's so frustrating. Two nights ago I was playing around and came up with a pretty cool riff/melody, but I know I've heard it before. I just can't place it, at all.

Yeh its even worse when you dont know where the riff is from.

I know what you mean. I came up with a riff that sounds really cool. But, it sounds just like an early AC/DC song, but I don't know which!