Recommended guitar brands

PDA

View Full Version : Recommended guitar brands

cakeschmammert
10-28-2009, 09:55 PM
not really planning on buying a new guitar any time soon.
was just curious what you guys would consider to be the best quality guitar, especially for hardcore.
i'm really just left in the dark about guitars.
so let's hear it.

blue_strat
10-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Ask in Electric Guitar (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26).

cakeschmammert
10-28-2009, 10:02 PM
no thanks, i'll ask here.
i was asking specifically for hardcore, so it's appropriate.
this forum could use another relevant thread, anyway.

SlashYourFug
10-28-2009, 10:08 PM
You're an idiot. Did you notice that Hardcore is a subforum of Bands & Artists? How is asking about guitars related to bands or artists? Give up your internet tough guy bad attitude and do what blue strat says.

Invert-blu
10-28-2009, 10:08 PM

No you should be asking in the electric guitar section. Not only will you get faster and better answers but you will also not be considered spamming. But since you don't seem to be moving and I am electric-guitar enthusiast, I will tell you that for metalcore (which is what i think your asking about), can be played with many guitar brands but I prefer ESP. Ibanez, Schecter, Jackson, it doesn't matter that much because the amp will be more important anyway.

P-Bass Pirate
10-28-2009, 10:09 PM
Well, this is Bands and Artists.

Trust me, EG will be a lot more helpful than the Hardcore forum when it comes to this kind of thing.

NY_FootBall49
10-28-2009, 10:10 PM
For stuff like have heart and that kinda stuff I would go with ESP ec-1000. Maybe Shecter C-1.
Agile if your on short budget. Really anything with high output active pickups (if you want that punchy bassy knock you out sound similar to have heart sorry if I mention them a bit much only "true hardcore" band I'm into at the moment") and a thick neck cause is mostly rhythm and chords so no need for a shred neck. With a thick neck your hand won't tire out as quick so I hope that helps.

12shinn21
10-28-2009, 10:12 PM
I own two jacksons, which are great guitars that can handle most of the music I play well (including lots of hardcore). I'm planning to buy a (cheaper) PRS soon just so I can have a nice guitar without a floyd rose on it.

edit: I'm sure most of the people who regularly visit the hardcore forum would enjoy a thread to talk about the guitars they use with people that also play hardcore, rather than in the electric guitar forum where little to no-one listens to it.

aggiefan33
10-28-2009, 10:13 PM
idiots itt

sorry cakeschmammert, I'd help if I could.

cakeschmammert
10-28-2009, 10:13 PM
You're an idiot. Did you notice that Hardcore is a subforum of Bands & Artists? How is asking about guitars related to bands or artists? Give up your internet tough guy bad attitude and do what blue strat says.

1. you don't know a single thing about me, and i know that i am very far from an idiot.
2. in no way was i showing this "internet tough guy bad attitude" that you speak of.
3. i trust these guys' word more than most people on ultimate-guitar(i don't stray far from the hardcore forum).
4. do you belong here?

and for the record, i was not at all asking about metalcore.

cakeschmammert
10-28-2009, 10:17 PM
For stuff like have heart and that kinda stuff I would go with ESP ec-1000. Maybe Shecter C-1.
Agile if your on short budget. Really anything with high output active pickups (if you want that punchy bassy knock you out sound similar to have heart sorry if I mention them a bit much only "true hardcore" band I'm into at the moment") and a thick neck cause is mostly rhythm and chords so no need for a shred neck. With a thick neck your hand won't tire out as quick so I hope that helps.

yes, and i appreciate that very much, but i can't stand these ignorant ****s that find their way into this forum and try to call the shots.
i've known everyone on this forum for about 8 months now and i know they would approve of a thread like this.

and like i said, i'm not really thinking about buying a guitar at this moment, so i'm not really looking for the in depth response that the people on EG would give me.

NY_FootBall49
10-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Please refer to my first post I know what I'm talking about and if you would give me a basic budget just a ballpark estimate I could recommend you something.

Agile a great band and alot of keeps in my scene use them there cheap $400 and if you swap the pickups it'll be perfect for you.

sgwielder
10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Like someone said above, check out ESP and Schecter - I've got a Hellraiser coming soon, and I couldn't be happier

saxaxe
10-28-2009, 10:24 PM
I love my Ibanez. I've never played a guitar nicer than the one I own. Any Ibanez prestige will do you good. Admittedly, it's more of a metal/metalcore guitar. Good for the shredz. For hardcore, Gibsons and LTDs/ESPs seem to be popular. I personally hate Les Pauls and their rip offs. The neck is HUGE. I like my thin neck. SG's are pretty nice and have a thick, heavy tone. Pickups and Amps are really more important than the guitar as far as sound. It really comes to what you find comfortable.

NY_FootBall49
10-28-2009, 10:28 PM
I love my Ibanez. I've never played a guitar nicer than the one I own. Any Ibanez prestige will do you good. Admittedly, it's more of a metal/metalcore guitar. Good for the shredz. For hardcore, Gibsons and LTDs/ESPs seem to be popular. I personally hate Les Pauls and their rip offs. The neck is HUGE. I like my thin neck. SG's are pretty nice and have a thick, heavy tone. Pickups and Amps are really more important than the guitar as far as sound. It really comes to what you find comfortable.

Thats what makes them good for hardcore they don't "shred" it's alot of rhythm work and thick necks are great for that. After playing on a thin neck for a while most peoples hands get sore tired cramped whatever b/c of the akward hand positions

saxaxe
10-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Thats what makes them good for hardcore they don't "shred" it's alot of rhythm work and thick necks are great for that. After playing on a thin neck for a while most peoples hands get sore tired cramped whatever b/c of the akward hand positions
Yea, definitely. I play a lot of lead though, so my Ibanez rules.
For heavy, chunky rhythm, les pauls are great. Heavy as hell though.

JxD
10-28-2009, 11:25 PM
I really like the way Les Paul's sound and they look really classy but for a guitar with a price-tag often exceeding $2000, there's no way I'd get one. I play an ESP EC-1000 and I really like it, although sometimes I get frustrated with the way active pick-ups sound (to gain-y). I think the neck feels really good and its sanded and finished so that it's really smooth and fast. The ebony fretboard rules too, I like the fact that I'm playing with an endangered species of tree whenever I take out my guitar. The downside is that I feel like I should be playing open-e breakdowns every time I plug into my amp because 90% of the people that play those guitars are mosh-heavy-bro-down-douchebags.

My little brother plays an Epiphone Les Paul and I like the way it sounds but I'm not crazy about the way it feels. The weight isn't an issue, I'm just not crazy about it's finish, it kind of grips and makes my arm uncomfortable as it rests against the body.

I'm happy to see a thread specifically about guitar in this sub-forum. Even if this is a forum meant to discuss hardcore, the website was created for people who enjoy playing guitar, so **** these people that disagree, any discussion about guitar is relevant on this site. The fact that almost all of the people in the hardcore forum play guitar and bass is one of the few common grounds that can be shared since most of the people that use this forum listen to modern-rock with breakdowns (aka nu-metalcore), not actually hardcore.

NY_FootBall49
10-28-2009, 11:37 PM
I really like the way Les Paul's sound and they look really classy but for a guitar with a price-tag often exceeding $2000, there's no way I'd get one. I play an ESP EC-1000 and I really like it, although sometimes I get frustrated with the way active pick-ups sound (to gain-y). I think the neck feels really good and its sanded and finished so that it's really smooth and fast. The ebony fretboard rules too, I like the fact that I'm playing with an endangered species of tree whenever I take out my guitar. The downside is that I feel like I should be playing open-e breakdowns every time I plug into my amp because 90% of the people that play those guitars are mosh-heavy-bro-down-douchebags.

My little brother plays an Epiphone Les Paul and I like the way it sounds but I'm not crazy about the way it feels. The weight isn't an issue, I'm just not crazy about it's finish, it kind of grips and makes my arm uncomfortable as it rests against the body.

I'm happy to see a thread specifically about guitar in this sub-forum. Even if this is a forum meant to discuss hardcore, the website was created for people who enjoy playing guitar, so **** these people that disagree, any discussion about guitar is relevant on this site. The fact that almost all of the people in the hardcore forum play guitar and bass is one of the few common grounds that can be shared since most of the people that use this forum listen to modern-rock with breakdowns (aka nu-metalcore), not actually hardcore.

Man you got some strong opinions.

aggiefan33
10-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Stop posting, have you ever been on a forum before?

JxD
10-28-2009, 11:44 PM
I guess I do. Thanks for being the bigger man and not trying to call me out over knocking modern metalcore. I'm just getting old and jaded is all.

GodofCheesecake
10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
Wow, that's the first time I've seen you even vaguely apologetic for your hardcore elitism haha.

JxD
10-29-2009, 12:41 AM
Wow, that's the first time I've seen you even vaguely apologetic for your hardcore elitism haha.
I'm getting tired of the "hey, the music I listen to is considered 'core' because wikipedia said so, therefore it goes in this forum, **** you!" argument that's so prevalent on this forum. I can make concessions for some deathcore and nu-metalcore bands that are clearly influenced by hardcore and it shows in their music, but for the most part a lot of bands are posted in here that should just be called metal bands. Every once in a while I enjoy genre arguments, but right now I'm not feeling it and I just realized how much I baited potential nu-metalcore fans that don't usually read my posts. So I was glad he wasn't a dick about it.

nashawa
10-29-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm getting tired of the "hey, the music I listen to is considered 'core' because wikipedia said so, therefore it goes in this forum, **** you!" argument that's so prevalent on this forum. I can make concessions for some deathcore and nu-metalcore bands that are clearly influenced by hardcore and it shows in their music, but for the most part a lot of bands are posted in here that should just be called metal bands. Every once in a while I enjoy genre arguments, but right now I'm not feeling it and I just realized how much I baited potential nu-metalcore fans that don't usually read my posts. So I was glad he wasn't a dick about it.

Well said

And so this isn't a spam post:
I actually Use an Ibanez Artcore full hollowbody tuned to drop A#
It has flatwound jazz strings on it too. I obviously don't recommend it for everyone, but I love the way it sounds personally.

saxaxe
10-29-2009, 01:32 AM
Well said

And so this isn't a spam post:
I actually Use an Ibanez Artcore full hollowbody tuned to drop A#
It has flatwound jazz strings on it too. I obviously don't recommend it for everyone, but I love the way it sounds personally.
That is an extraordinarily strange assortment of sounds and I can't imagine the end result. :haha

nashawa
10-29-2009, 01:42 AM
That is an extraordinarily strange assortment of sounds and I can't imagine the end result. :haha

RIDONCULOUS low end and a natural, yet inexplicable, mid scoop.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-29-2009, 02:45 AM

I'd like to see you try to take that up with the metal forum :p:

I personally think that nu-metalcore is a mutation from old(er) metalcore, which in turn was a mutation from hardcore. I think it's more fitting to be under -core than straight up metal.

Back on topic: I have a Schecter Hellraiser and thanks to the coil tap, I can get just about any tone I want. I'd most recommend just going out to a guitar store and trying out guitars until you find one you really like. Nothing is more disappointing than blindly ordering online based on reviews and then realizing it's not what you were looking for.

PhobiXa
10-29-2009, 05:05 AM
I personally think Jacksons and Ibanezs look and sound like "metal" guitars. Whenever I play one I feel like I have to shred or play mosh riffs.
I personally play a Gibson SG and I love it, it works for hardcore/metalcore, and pretty much any other genre. I haven't tried tuning it down below drop c cause I don't think it could take it and I don't really see the point in playing that low.
If you want a more "twangy" sound, I'm thinking Coalesce, probably use a Fender or some similar style strat or tele clone.

Yes I realise I am talking out of my ass, but I hope I help someone haha.

brad5992
10-29-2009, 06:34 AM
I play a Fender Squire Strat. The lowest ill tune it to is drop C and i only play hardcore/pop punk on it and it does the job. Im a drummer, so i dont really know alot about guitars

boffen
10-29-2009, 06:54 AM
If you have no ides about guitars and woods and pickups, you really can't go wrong with a emg+mahogany type guitar (i.e most LTD 1000s, Gibsons and the likes). It's really a go-to combination that always will work of you are playing (at least newer) hardcore/metalcore. I'm not saying it's necessarily the best option, but I can't imagine a situation in these kinds of music that a mahogany bodied guitar with EMGs couldn't do a decent job. If you hate EMGs, you could always just jump on a JB/59 combo and take it from there.

I'm not that big on earlier (real) hardcore, so I can't really say too much on it, but I reckon passive, "high"-output pickups and a heavy tree guitar will work good there.

As for myself, I've got a EC-1000 which I really like. I got the vintage black one, so no horrible and tacky abalone binding, but just this cool and simple look that I really dig. I love the neck and the EMG 81/60 combination, which gives really smooth and warm cleans using the neck pickup, and hard and heavy sound using the bridge pickup. I got it tuned either to drop B or Drop C, depending on whatever songs I wanna play. I also got a MIJ Squier with SD singlecoils, which I use whenever I feel like playing more classic rock stuff, or stuff played in drop D. I really want another guitar though, so I can have my EC-1000 in drop B and the new one in drop C :P Would probably go with a MH-1000NT if I ever decide to buy another guitar.

JxD
10-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I'd like to see you try to take that up with the metal forum :p:

I personally think that nu-metalcore is a mutation from old(er) metalcore, which in turn was a mutation from hardcore. I think it's more fitting to be under -core than straight up metal.
I think that can be said about some bands, but when it comes to something like deathcore, it seems to have a lot more in common with genres of extreme metal than hardcore. I should probably stop using "nu-metalcore" as an all-encompassing term for bands like Bullet For My Valentine and say Parkway Drive. The two are extremely different and while I enjoy neither, I would prefer to listen to the latter if I was forced. Regardless, the metal forums common grievance seems to be with the fashion these bands indulge in and their penchant for recycled breakdowns, rather than the bulk of the music which bears a close resemblance to various metal genres.

I can't believe some of the drop-tunings you kids play in, anything below c irritates the piss out of me. I'm fond of e-standard and drop-d on occasion, but I play emo tunes or melodic hardcore stuff for the most part.

saxaxe
10-29-2009, 11:33 AM
I can't believe some of the drop-tunings you kids play in, anything below c irritates the piss out of me. I'm fond of e-standard and drop-d on occasion, but I play emo tunes or melodic hardcore stuff for the most part.
See, I play in A standard with a 6 string, but I play Weekend Nachos/Magrudergrind style grind/PV.

But yea, according to the metal forum, bad metal = deathcore.

lespaul1216
10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Jackson (I play one!)
Schecter
ESP

those three come to mind

3rdActguitarist
10-29-2009, 05:14 PM
Ibanez, my personal favorite. I've tried ESP, Jackson, Epiphone, Schecter, and Dean, but nothing compares to my two Ibanez guitars. Great tone, great playability, and nice to look at as well. I've got an RGA42FM in Blue-burst and I find it gorgeous!

GodofCheesecake
10-29-2009, 07:27 PM
^I find pretty much all the brands you listed that aren't Dean more aesthetically pleasing than Ibanezes. Just me, though. I don't like the headstocks and the horns are odd. Can't say anything about the sound or playability though, I'm a Schecter guy personally.

boffen
10-29-2009, 08:02 PM
I like Ibanez guitars that got fixed bridges, floyds mess up looks so bad

saxaxe
10-29-2009, 08:13 PM
I have trouble playing a guitar without a floyd rose. I absolutely love them. They're the most comfortable, stable and versatile. Especially the lo-profile ones. LOVE mine. Edge pro, lo-pro.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-29-2009, 08:17 PM
I have trouble playing a guitar without a floyd rose. I absolutely love them. They're the most comfortable, stable and versatile. Especially the lo-profile ones. LOVE mine. Edge pro, lo-pro.

The only thing I find annoying about my FR is that putting on new strings means constantly unlocking and retuning. It's awesome that I got a guitar with it though, since it negates my obsessive retuning urges. Yay for non warped necks :)

Also, is it just me, or do any of you other 24 fret users find it really awkward to play a 22 fret guitar? Every time I play a gibson it feels like a miniature. It might also be the fact that my schecter has extra jumbo frets...

handbanana
10-29-2009, 08:28 PM
i like gibsons, les pauls or sgs are both great. telecasters are cool to.
though one of my favorite guitars is the ESP EC-1000 Deluxe

NY_FootBall49
10-29-2009, 09:51 PM
The only thing I find annoying about my FR is that putting on new strings means constantly unlocking and retuning. It's awesome that I got a guitar with it though, since it negates my obsessive retuning urges. Yay for non warped necks :)

Also, is it just me, or do any of you other 24 fret users find it really awkward to play a 21 fret guitar? Every time I play a gibson it feels like a miniature.

Gibson has 22 frets only squires have 21 frets and if you have a quality FR you'll love it otherwise it'll be your worse nightmare. I don't find FR's particularly useful though thats just me though.

handbanana
10-29-2009, 09:55 PM
i prefer the gibson tune o matic bridge to anything else. i've played floyd roses, and other floating bridges like on prs's and like the gibson bridge the best, not to mention the shorter necks making faster play much easier

GodofCheesecake
10-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Also, is it just me, or do any of you other 24 fret users find it really awkward to play a 21 fret guitar? Every time I play a gibson it feels like a miniature.
Absolutely.

Okeefe Is Legit
10-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Gibson has 22 frets only squires have 21 frets and if you have a quality FR you'll love it otherwise it'll be your worse nightmare. I don't find FR's particularly useful though thats just me though.

Meh, 21 or 22, it's still not enough frets :p:

GodofCheesecake
10-30-2009, 10:31 AM
In related news, I've been wanting a Hellraiser for forever, dude. I've got a C-1 Classic and it's awesome, but no coil-tapping or EMGs.

brad5992
10-30-2009, 10:47 AM
In related news, i want a new drum kit

handbanana
10-30-2009, 11:25 AM
And I want a Fender Bass and a Telecaster

Okeefe Is Legit
10-31-2009, 04:08 PM
In related news, I've been wanting a Hellraiser for forever, dude. I've got a C-1 Classic and it's awesome, but no coil-tapping or EMGs.

I'd definitely recommend it, especially if you're not a big fan a metal guitars with super thin necks. Since I got mine maybe a year ago, I've been disappointed with every other guitar I've played.

nashawa
10-31-2009, 04:23 PM
And I want a Fender Bass and a Telecaster
I've had nothing but problems with Fender basses