Acoustic guitar: Nylon Strings or Steel Strings?

PDA

View Full Version : Acoustic guitar: Nylon Strings or Steel Strings?

raphtheslash
10-31-2009, 06:21 PM
that's it, what do you think that is better? A guitar with nylon strings ou steel strings? What are the pros and cons of each? Is any of the two easier to play than the other? Which sounds better?

Note: it's true that a guitar with nylon strings is based on playing some certain genres of music and a guitar with steel strings on other genres. But the truth is that there are many guitar players that don't worry with that, and you can play songs that are played on a guitar with steel strings, with a guitar with nylon strings. So not really considering the diferent musical genres that are played with each, which do you think that is the best for playing?

speedy1330
10-31-2009, 06:27 PM
usually nylon is used for classical music while rock would use steel

guitarmasta777
10-31-2009, 06:32 PM
i would go steel string all the way

jinjan29
10-31-2009, 06:34 PM
Steel ftw,

Camdon
10-31-2009, 06:38 PM
Uhm, I would use nylons, but since theyre nylon, my pickup wont work :(

Right now Im using Carlos Santana signatures

Turkeyburger
10-31-2009, 06:40 PM
Can you use nylons on an acoustic that would normally have steels? From what I've seen, nylons have to be tied to the bridge...

Brad_Bassist
10-31-2009, 06:44 PM
Can you use nylons on an acoustic that would normally have steels? From what I've seen, nylons have to be tied to the bridge...
Well you could. Tie the strings around the white knobs that hold the strings in the birdge on the acoustic. I've never done that but that's the way I'd do it.

Antis0cial
10-31-2009, 06:49 PM
Don't use nylon on steel string guitar or vice versa, the neck isn't made for it.

And I like the classical, latin feel of nylon but I love steels for rock and other stuff

patticake
10-31-2009, 09:18 PM
if you use nylon on a steel guitar, you'll have to do some serious adjusting to the nut or it will be too tight otherwise, meaning it will keep the strings from moving, making the guitar harder to play and also making less sound. you will probably also have to adjust the truss rod as nylon strings are much lower tension.

i play classical music on my steel string guitars all the time. in fact, to my ear the classical stuff i play sounds prettier on steel. unless you love the sound of nylon strings, i'd recommend a steel string guitar.

clayonfire
10-31-2009, 10:50 PM
It's all preference really; nylon strings I find are a lot easier on the fingers than steel, but it is also much more mellow sounding, whereas Steel is generally more "out there"; I love my Steel string Alvarez, but I would still like to acquire a nylon string, because they're better designed for classical stuff...and nylon string guitars tend to not have inlays, or if they do, it is usually only a few side dots.

LeftyDave
11-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Well you could. Tie the strings around the white knobs that hold the strings in the birdge on the acoustic. I've never done that but that's the way I'd do it.

No, just no.
First off, those "white knobs" are the bridge pins. Secondly they are used to hold steel strings in place in the bridge of a steel string acoustic. Third, if you tie anything to them, even a piece of string, one of two things will happen, either the head of the pin will break clean off or else the whole thing will come flying out of the bridge and hopefully smack you right in the face for even suggesting such a ridiculous thing! :peace:
That said, there are such things as Ball End Classical Nylon Strings. A bit of homework here wouldn't hurt, and maybe some actual knowledge of acoustic guitars. Sheesh. Harsh? Yes. But with a purpose. If someone were to actually take your advise and do this, then broke their guitar, then come back here looking for you.....you get my point right?

Shanks1233
11-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Nylon is better for beginners, much different to string though. Heres how to do it - http://www.ehow.com/how_5614173_string-nylon-string-acoustic-guitar.html