Pickup Suggestion

PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Suggestion

handbanana
11-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I know this belongs in the guitar forum, but I want the opinion of people who primarily play hardcore. I'm looking at buying a new Bridge Pickup. And I play an Epi Les Paul, thinking about switching to maybe a Gibson 490R, but to be honest i'm not really sure which gibson pickup will sound the best for the sound I want.

Also a friend showed me this website, www.guitarfetish.com, and said the Dream-90 single coils he got were actually awesome, but he plays more emo-ish stuff. Was wondering if you think it's worth it to save my money and buy a set of pickups from this website, cause they are pretty cheap.

BGSM
11-03-2009, 01:16 AM
if you can find one used, possibly a seymour duncan livewire? the non dave mustain ones. i have one in my fernandez tele and it sounds absolutely killer. i just had a powerviolence (as much as i hate to use that term) jam, cuts through really well without being muddy and still sounds nice and raw. not very good cleans, but im guessing thats not what you want. they're active, but ive had the same battery since ive got the guitar (6 months ago) and its fine..

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/rs/tn1/tn1_7767984.jpg

gfs pickups are great for the price too. what amps will you be playing through?

also, tell me a song with the guitar tone your looking for

handbanana
11-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Well I can't help you with such limited info. Few questions.

1) Do you have your guitar wired for active or passive pups?
2) Whats your budget?
3) What kind of sound you looking for? Bands?
4) Do you need good cleans?

Active I would recommend Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
Passive I'd go with EMG-HZ's there the highest output passive pups that I know of.
Both of those pups are like $90.

i would not buy emgs or blackouts, i'm not playing metalcore

saxaxe
11-03-2009, 07:06 PM
I use DiMarzios. Evo in the bridge and a PAF in the neck. I'm a big fan of the Evo sound, but it's aimed more at lead playing, so idk if that's what you're looking for. As far as hardcore, I can't imagine pickup choice is that important.

handbanana
11-03-2009, 07:11 PM
thats why i'm kind of leaning towards gibsons, i feel like they will be very good all around for whatever i decide to play. i don't too much about dimarzios but will do some research. But honestly for $35 i'm considering buying that Dream-180 PAF and throwing it in for fun. If I don't like it I won't be too upset cause for $35 its whatever. im gonna look around craigslist and see what kind of deals i can find

saxaxe
11-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Yea, for $35, you can't beat it. Most Seymour Duncans are damn good for anything too.

BGSM
11-04-2009, 04:17 AM
what amp are you playing through, etc

handbanana
11-04-2009, 03:36 PM
well im buying a Marshall AVT next week cause i'm gettin it mad cheap from a friend. Not really crazy about the valvestate, but i quit my job yestrday so right now cheap is cheap. I wish georges music didn't drug test so I could get a job there.

BGSM
11-05-2009, 01:00 AM
oh ok. well that rules out actives (most of which are crappy, anyway). and i agree with saxaxe in that pickup choice isnt too important, unless theres something lacking in your current tone

handbanana
11-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I dunno, I just feel like i could get a better sound than these epiphone pickups, honestly i'm pretty sure i want to go with some type of gibson pickup, i'm just not sure which one will be best

pmeg568c
11-05-2009, 01:29 AM
get a duncan distortion. awesome pickup for hardcore imo.

BGSM
11-05-2009, 02:14 AM
I dunno, I just feel like i could get a better sound than these epiphone pickups, honestly i'm pretty sure i want to go with some type of gibson pickup, i'm just not sure which one will be best

oh ok, i reckon go for the dream 180 paf. cant beat it for the price.

handbanana
11-05-2009, 04:59 PM
get a duncan distortion. awesome pickup for hardcore imo.

i would never buy any pickup described as distortion or gainy or anything like that cause they usually sound like crap imo, and only leave for me to play hardcore and absolutely nothing else. i like playing some rockish stuff to, which is why I think the gibson is the best fit. once again, I just don't which one will suit me best

BGSM
11-05-2009, 10:32 PM
name some songs with the tone/s your looking for, and we'll we able to help you more

pmeg568c
11-05-2009, 10:52 PM
i would never buy any pickup described as distortion or gainy or anything like that cause they usually sound like crap imo, and only leave for me to play hardcore and absolutely nothing else. i like playing some rockish stuff to, which is why I think the gibson is the best fit. once again, I just don't which one will suit me best

thats why its an underrated pickup. i wouldn't recommend you something shitty haha. im a huge gear head.

handbanana
11-05-2009, 11:57 PM
i dunno man, i've heard nothing but horrible reviews from these "distortion" pickups, i'd rather just use a pedal or the gain on my amp, with the pickup already distorting it i feel like that loses my ability to have control over the sound, limiting the guitars abilities if that makes sense

BGSM
11-06-2009, 01:11 AM
the pickup doesnt already distort the signal, its just a name. the name more refers to it being high output rather than actually having some kind of clipping circuit inside the pickup.

heres some (pretty crappy) demos of the duncan distortion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymtWrjpFk8k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXIVKfIuoBA

ive never used a duncan distortion, but they are passive, which is much better with a solid state amp. wayne static from static x uses a marshall mg and a duncan distortion, so you would be nearly half way there to having his setup :haha:

saxaxe
11-06-2009, 01:32 AM
http://www.youtube.com/user/saxaxe
I use Dimarzios. Any time I'm soloing or using the neck pickup it's a PAF, the bridge pickup/any of my rhythms is going to be the EVO. The first video (New song ideas) is a BAD representation of the tone. I was messing around with different effects.
But yea, that's the kind of tone i can get with them.

handbanana
11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/saxaxe
I use Dimarzios. Any time I'm soloing or using the neck pickup it's a PAF, the bridge pickup/any of my rhythms is going to be the EVO. The first video (New song ideas) is a BAD representation of the tone. I was messing around with different effects.
But yea, that's the kind of tone i can get with them.

thats a little muddier than i want, but what tuning are you playing in?