What did Nirvana tune to??

PDA

View Full Version : What did Nirvana tune to??

twdavis13
11-07-2009, 05:39 PM
So exactly how did Nirvana tune their bass and guitar??

Keth
11-07-2009, 05:40 PM
E Standard, I'm pretty sure, although it might also be a half step down.

TechnoLp
11-07-2009, 05:42 PM
try somewhere between stardard and a halfstep down. They were grunge musicians they were always a little out of tune.

Chromex
11-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Usually standard, but sometimes Drop D or a half step down, or Drop D while a half step down.

twdavis13
11-07-2009, 05:52 PM
So it was kind of a hit or miss thing, there was no pattern??

I.e: E standard on one album or Drop D on another?? Oh well. I'll figure it out! Thanks!!

Chromex
11-07-2009, 05:53 PM
So it was kind of a hit or miss thing, there was no pattern??

I.e: E standard on one album or Drop D on another?? Oh well. I'll figure it out! Thanks!!

On In Utero, everything is a half step down, on the earlier albums it's mostly standard.

z4twenny
11-07-2009, 05:57 PM
in all actuality, it kinda depends on the song. its split between standard, half step flat, drop d and i think something in the way is somewhere between drop C# and D (it wasn't in perfect tuning, they had to have everyone else tune to the guitar)

DaddyTwoFoot
11-07-2009, 06:06 PM
They used many different tunings.

Declan87
11-07-2009, 08:37 PM
yea they had lotsa different tunings, but live they would generally play the whole set in one tuning(excluding drop d songs) Blew is in C Standard for example, I believe.

nirvananerd1997
06-11-2012, 09:20 AM
what about smells like teen spirit?

Von II
06-11-2012, 09:26 AM
They used Drop C on Something In The Way too, since Kurt didn't tune his guitar at all for that recording and all the other members had to detune to whatever Kurt recorded the song in... or something along those lines. :haha:

Mathedes
06-11-2012, 09:29 AM
At 2:50 we can clearly see Cobain changes tunings in the middle of "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTWKbfoikeg

nirvananerd1997
06-11-2012, 10:34 AM
he did change tunings but what did he change from and what did he change to

t1mman
06-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Looks like someone changing a broken sting or fooling around for a clip to me...

seljer
06-11-2012, 10:42 AM
At 2:50 we can clearly see Cobain changes tunings in the middle of "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

I don't think thats changing tunings as much as just temporarily detuning a string for a specific effect, like a reverse bend.

nirvananerd1997
06-11-2012, 04:17 PM
Still what was his original tuning for smells like teen spirit

AlanHB
06-12-2012, 05:07 AM
Still what was his original tuning for smells like teen spirit

E standard. You're not much of a Nirvana nerd are you.

And this:

Actually made me laugh out loud. Congratulations.

Sean0913
06-12-2012, 06:47 AM
E Standard, however sometimes studios have been known to play with their calibration. So it's off slightly. Like instead of A=440 they might do A=442.

Don't make the mistake for a moment that it was all random and haphazard and the like. They were serious musicians and knew what they were doing. The person that said they were grunge musicians and always a bit out of tune, oversimplified things. In truth these guys were very specific, and used that slight out of tuneness for effect, not because they were sloppy. They were all business when it came to their music. Many might be shocked to hear that.

Best,

Sean

TomSawyerRush
06-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Most of the Nirvana stuff I play is in drop d.

rocknrollstar
06-12-2012, 07:50 PM
I've seen the following tunings used by Nirvana:

EADGBE
EbAbDbGbBbEb
DGCFAD
DbGbBEAbDb
DADGBE
DbAbDbGbBbEb

I have a couple of books laying around. There's is probably more, but it's essentially Drop D with variations (1/2 step down, whole step down etc) and there could be more. If you want a mind****, check out the tunings used by Sonic Youth.

Also some things to note about Nirvana:

-the unplugged album has distortion on the acoustic guitar, so it's not technically "pure" acoustic, so if your trying to emulate that tone then that's something to consider.
-a few songs have similar chord progressions and rhythms, but their timbre may be different (Rape Me and Smells Like Teen Spirit are similar, also similar rhythmic patterns in About A Girl if you listen for it) so look for characteristics.

Different tunings, different songs. I wouldn't stress too much, I'm sure the tabs on this website will be accurate and if you search Youtube for a tutorial on how to achieve this tunings then you will be sorted. Hope this helps.

Andalus
06-12-2012, 07:50 PM

:haha: :haha: :haha: