What do you do to keep your acoustic looking brand new?

PDA

View Full Version : What do you do to keep your acoustic looking brand new?

camaross427
11-11-2009, 08:01 PM
OK so a question for all you out there, i just got my first acoustic (ibanez aeg25) and i love it, but i am wondering how you guy's keep it looking brand new for as long as you have it, is there a special kind of polish or something? special rag? or nothing special at all for it?

Thanks!!

patticake
11-11-2009, 08:34 PM
i don't actually care if my guitar looks new ;)

martin makes a guitar polish you can use, and you will want to VERY lightly oil fingerboard and bridge to keep them from drying out. the most important thing you can do is keep your guitar at the right humidity and not use lotions or sunblocks while you play it as in some cases, that can slowly harm the finish. only use products on the body that are made for guitars as some can damage the finish or leave heavy films that can slightly change the sound.

enjoy playing your new guitar :)

camaross427
11-11-2009, 08:59 PM
i don't actually care if my guitar looks new ;)

martin makes a guitar polish you can use, and you will want to VERY lightly oil fingerboard and bridge to keep them from drying out. the most important thing you can do is keep your guitar at the right humidity and not use lotions or sunblocks while you play it as in some cases, that can slowly harm the finish. only use products on the body that are made for guitars as some can damage the finish or leave heavy films that can slightly change the sound.

enjoy playing your new guitar :)
lol, i am, i'm not too concerned about it, but i do want to keep the wood looking nice (my electrics on the other hand, anything goes lol)

patticake
11-11-2009, 09:34 PM
i guess i don't have to worry because i keep them in their cases or gigbags. none of them have any scratches, dents, dust or any other issues. my husband bought all his used, and they also all live in their cases - it's the best thing you can do if you want to keep your guitars pristine. after all, leaving them out means they get dusty, can get knocked off their stands or off the furniture they lean on, can be rubbed against and scratched. they are also more likely to have things spilled on them.

another thing - if you want to keep your guitars in good shape, don't play them while wearing your belt buckle or shirts with non-smooth or large buttons. if you don't have a pickguard and you strum, have a pickguard added.

btw, my electric bases are treated the same way except for my beaters, which sit in their stands. and btw, most stands can discolor your guitar where they touch them AND sun can also fade your guitars.

lol, i am, i'm not too concerned about it, but i do want to keep the wood looking nice (my electrics on the other hand, anything goes lol)