Koa Guitars

PDA

View Full Version : Koa Guitars

dan.finch
11-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Ok, Heres the thing, I think guitars made of koa look and sound the best, so im wondering if anyone knows any cheap-ish koa guitars? and if anyone in the UK is willing to sell one, im not bothered if its bashed up, just looking for a cheap Koa guitar :) thanks guys :)

patticake
11-23-2009, 11:22 AM
cheapish koa means laminate koa. while i love the sound of koa, the good stuff costs money. there's a koa topped ovation
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/Ovation-CSE34-FKOA-Celebrity-Deluxe.html

and a cheap washburn with koa back and sides
http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/washburn-d10s-koa-acoustic-guitar.html

probably these are some of the lowest priced laminate koa options new.

captivate
11-23-2009, 11:26 AM
From my experience, you Koa either gives you an amazing sound, or something iffy. I would also advise not to settle for the cheap stuff.

i_don't_know
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
A decent koa guitar is usually upwards of $3000. It's one of those woods companies like to charge a ton for.

roamingbard13
11-23-2009, 05:22 PM
^ Not necessarily, and not used. Tacoma has produced some guitars (very good, imo) that you can find used for some where around $1000. One of them was part of their chief series...lovely little OM sized type body. Almost owned one (they sold it before I could pawn my shit, hahaha)

indie_prep
11-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Martin makes an alright Koa, it's pretty inexpensive also.

It's a laminate - but if you're going for a cheap koa with an alright sound, I'd say this is a pretty good bet.

MF sells it for $449 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-DXK2-Koa-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515886

i_don't_know
11-23-2009, 06:35 PM
Martin makes an alright Koa, it's pretty inexpensive also.

It's a laminate - but if you're going for a cheap koa with an alright sound, I'd say this is a pretty good bet.

MF sells it for $449 http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Martin-DXK2-Koa-Acoustic-Guitar?sku=515886

To me, this guitar sounds like piss compared to what a koa guitar is meant to sound like.

Natrone
11-23-2009, 07:56 PM
^Or any guitar for that matter.

Laminate Koa =/= Koa TS. You won't be able to cheap out on this stuff. Its a quite rare exotic wood. However, doa, which, IIRC, is an Asian-Pacific brother to Hawaiian koa, has very similar looks and tone.

Tommy Walker
11-23-2009, 09:15 PM
koa is the wood with no bass or treble response so it will hide mistakes to the max but have little sustain and be the mellowest possible tone. I DONT LIKE IT ALL.

i_don't_know
11-23-2009, 09:35 PM
koa is the wood with no bass or treble response so it will hide mistakes to the max but have little sustain and be the mellowest possible tone. I DONT LIKE IT ALL.

Koa tops are heavier than spruce, cedar, redwood, etc. and will do this. Koa backs and sides are a different story. Koa has a sweet, direct, 2-dimensional tone with a strong midrange, uniquely colored but full bass, and creamy highs similar to mahogany. I think Koa with an engelmann top would sound incredible for fingerstyle, or a sitka top for flatpicking and strumming. Personally, my dream combo for a custom guitar would be a 3-piece back with koa in the middle and bubinga on the outside, bubinga sides, and an engelmann top.

patticake
11-23-2009, 11:48 PM
i've seen all solid koa guitars for $2000, and even lower on sale. and koa does make an amazing back and sidewood. btw, if you've played a koa goodall, you'll hear a koa guitar with TONS of bass.

GC Shred Off
11-23-2009, 11:54 PM
koa is the wood with no bass or treble response so it will hide mistakes to the max but have little sustain and be the mellowest possible tone.
Don't make things up. That isn't true at all.

TS, there is no such thing as inexpensive koa. Sorry.

captivate
11-23-2009, 11:54 PM

All the Koa guitars I've played have been quite good, actually. The bass isn't blatantly there like in Rosewood. It's a soft, subtle, and smooth bass from my experience. The treble has always been quite articulate as well. The guitars were spruce top and koa side/back though(Taylor 414ce koa fall special, and a Martin D-16 koa special). Not koa top.

GC Shred Off
11-23-2009, 11:59 PM
Not koa top.
Koa tops are really rare. They few I have played sounded really jangly and bright, which was totally counter intuitive.

Natrone
11-24-2009, 01:46 AM
^Yeah, Koa is a beautifully strange wood, both in looks and tone.

patticake
11-24-2009, 02:31 AM
i've seen some all-solid all koa guitars in the last month or so - a couple taylors, a couple martins, and a gibson.

Natrone
11-24-2009, 10:08 PM
Takamine makes one too. Absolutely gorgeous guitar. Nice suble abalone inlays, gold hardware, and the NEX cutaway body. Much cheaper than the "Big 3" too.

Tommy Walker
11-24-2009, 10:41 PM
The guitars were spruce top and koa side/back though(Taylor 414ce koa fall special, and a Martin D-16 koa special). Not koa top.

I'm mainly talking about koa as a top wood. I feel like the top really has a lot more to do with tone than the back and sides.

patticake
11-24-2009, 10:54 PM
you talking about this one?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EF508KC-NEX-All-Koa-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512195&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=40212005

it's cheaper because it's all laminate, and it costs a lot more than other laminate koa guitars. that being said, it's definitely the very best sounding of the laminate koa guitars by far. it's also worth mentioning that most of the sales guys at guitar center think it's solid top - one is a friend of mine, and he said it just never occured to him that a guitar that expensive would be laminate, so he sort of assumed the top was solid.

Takamine makes one too. Absolutely gorgeous guitar. Nice suble abalone inlays, gold hardware, and the NEX cutaway body. Much cheaper than the "Big 3" too.

patticake
11-25-2009, 01:46 AM
you have a lucky dad! to me, koa is one of the few woods that can always improve even a great sounding guitar :)

All I'm saying is, my dad has an all-koa Martin D-18, and it's the best-sounding guitar I've heard in my life. You'd probably have to pay a small fortune to get one now, but this is what a real acoustic guitar should sound like.

Natrone
11-25-2009, 01:56 AM
you talking about this one?
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EF508KC-NEX-All-Koa-AcousticElectric-Guitar?sku=512195&src=3WFRWXX&ZYXSEM=0&CAWELAID=40212005

it's cheaper because it's all laminate, and it costs a lot more than other laminate koa guitars. that being said, it's definitely the very best sounding of the laminate koa guitars by far. it's also worth mentioning that most of the sales guys at guitar center think it's solid top - one is a friend of mine, and he said it just never occured to him that a guitar that expensive would be laminate, so he sort of assumed the top was solid.
Son of a......I thought it was solid!

Takamine, you crafty SOBs......:haha