Musicians Friend/Guitar Center Credit Card?

PDA

View Full Version : Musicians Friend/Guitar Center Credit Card?

SMB13
11-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Does anyone know if the credit cards for Musicians Friend/Guitar Center are worth it? I was thinking about getting one so that way I could pay monthly for my gear and not have to wait for it, but I just wanted to see if anyone has one, or if anyone knows anything about it, or if it's even worth it at all.

On a side note, I think I'll end up going with the one from Musicians Friend, simply because of ENGL amps.

Thanks guys!

Mad-Mike_J83
11-23-2009, 10:08 AM
They suck. I got one, used it to buy an Electro Harmonix PolyChorus, paid the bill, HSBC (the bank that Guitar Center's card goes through) pulled twice the amount out of my bank account, throwing it into overdraft status. I asked them if I could get the money back from the account, they said the only way was for them to send me a check that would take 2 weeks, and I had a BILL to pay in less than four days at the time. I tried Guitar Center directly....eventually I bought another guitar on the credit to use as saleable property to get most of tha money back for the bill, I wound up not using it though because the family bailed me out when they heard I cut up that card.

I hate credit cards, that was my only, **** credit cards, **** guitar center.

SMB13
11-23-2009, 10:10 AM
They suck. I got one, used it to buy an Electro Harmonix PolyChorus, paid the bill, HSBC (the bank that Guitar Center's card goes through) pulled twice the amount out of my bank account, throwing it into overdraft status. I asked them if I could get the money back from the account, they said the only way was for them to send me a check that would take 2 weeks, and I had a BILL to pay in less than four days at the time. I tried Guitar Center directly....eventually I bought another guitar on the credit to use as saleable property to get most of tha money back for the bill, I wound up not using it though because the family bailed me out when they heard I cut up that card.

I hate credit cards, that was my only, **** credit cards, **** guitar center.

That's why I'm most likely going with the one from Musicians Friend

joey arce
11-23-2009, 10:14 AM
What company is the card from musician friends I believe it is HSBC, But I had nothing but a good expierence from mine. No payments for a year = new jaguar

Vikingx
11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
Musician's Friend is HSBC as well.

A little tip... NEVER let ANYONE take money directly out of your account. Write them a check. This ensures that the proper payment is made, and that you have a paper trail for it.

You're asking for trouble if you arrange an "auto-pay" with any creditors.

I have a Musician's Friend card and have used it many times over the past three years. I've never had a problem... except that my credit limit is 5k and I'm tempted way too often.

iduno871
11-23-2009, 10:25 AM
I've used them both while they had the no payment for a year going on....never had an issue with either. Great deals as long as you pay them off!

SMB13
11-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Musician's Friend is HSBC as well.

A little tip... NEVER let ANYONE take money directly out of your account. Write them a check. This ensures that the proper payment is made, and that you have a paper trail for it.

You're asking for trouble if you arrange an "auto-pay" with any creditors.

I have a Musician's Friend card and have used it many times over the past three years. I've never had a problem... except that my credit limit is 5k and I'm tempted way too often.

Alright, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks everyone!

Xeus
11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
Do NOT GET ONE

seriously

joey arce
11-23-2009, 10:36 AM
as long as you can manage money it is no issue getting one. Just don't over extend yourself

MightyAl
11-23-2009, 10:39 AM
I've used them both while they had the no payment for a year going on....never had an issue with either. Great deals as long as you pay them off!
This applies to ALL credit cards.
Face it, the issuer isn't giving you the card to be nice, they're doing it so that you'll spend more money than you can pay off when the bill comes in, and they can hit you with an enormous interest rate.
Plus, of course, when you are paying off a balance, your minimum payment will more than likely do nothing more than cover the interest which has accrued since your last bill, and not touch the actual capital sum you owe.

SMB13
11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
Do NOT GET ONE

seriously

Everyone else here seems to think it would be okay, as long as I manage myself, soo...

Any reason why not to?

vjferrara
11-23-2009, 10:42 AM
i've had one for about 6 years now. use it every year during the "no payments for an entire year" seasons. never had a problem with it. i pay it off every year before the due date. only messed up one year and had to pay the interest but it was in the contract so it's not like it was a surprise. the interest is 21% so paying it off beforehand is a must.

aren't guitar center and musiciansfriend part of the same company anyway? neither of them sell something that the other doesn't. their prices are pretty much the same.

SMB13
11-23-2009, 10:52 AM
i've had one for about 6 years now. use it every year during the "no payments for an entire year" seasons. never had a problem with it. i pay it off every year before the due date. only messed up one year and had to pay the interest but it was in the contract so it's not like it was a surprise. the interest is 21% so paying it off beforehand is a must.

aren't guitar center and musiciansfriend part of the same company anyway? neither of them sell something that the other doesn't. their prices are pretty much the same.

Ah, I see. I'm thinking about getting a card and using the no payment thing to pick up and ENGL Savage 120 and a THD Hotplate, so yeeeah. I figured after a year of saving that I would have enough cash for it, lol.