PDA

View Full Version : One Eyed God Prophecy

JxD
11-30-2009, 12:45 AM
Better than sex.

http://www.myspace.com/oneeyedgodprophecy

+}-136-{+
11-30-2009, 07:04 AM
This is some good shit. And as much as I like your description of them, they deserve a bit more don't you think?

technicolour
11-30-2009, 12:55 PM
from ontario???! never heard of them :(

edit - unless that's just where the myspace page creator is from, and they're from quebec...

anyways, they're not bad.

nashawa
11-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Terrible, terrible band name.
If they're from ON I'd like to check them out sometime.

EDIT: Never mind... They've broken up.

JxD
11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
This is some good shit. And as much as I like your description of them, they deserve a bit more don't you think?
What would be the point? I linked the band, I figured I might as well let people form their own opinions rather than write some contrived description of the band urging the users of this forum to repent their nu-metalcore loving ways and adopt an affection for what is the truest form of heavy hardcore.

MustangMan311
11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Meh.

+}-136-{+
12-01-2009, 08:12 AM
What would be the point? I linked the band, I figured I might as well let people form their own opinions rather than write some contrived description of the band urging the users of this forum to repent their nu-metalcore loving ways and adopt an affection for what is the truest form of heavy hardcore.

Well for starters your threads would have much more staying power if your OPs weren't all a sentence and a link. And it might provide people some more incentive to check out the band.

And really, "one sentence + link" OPs just smack of laziness and "I don't really care about this band". Doesn't do much good for anyone.

JxD
12-01-2009, 12:20 PM
I disagree that it would have more staying power. The best way to keep a thread alive around here is to talk about a band everyone is familiar with or say something really contentious. I was hoping that by being brief and altogether eliminating a description would perhaps pique the interest of some and encourage them to check out the band. I don't think you can really guarantee a successful thread. I personally really dislike drawn out posts describing a band. What can someone say in a paragraph that I can't just hear in a few seconds after clicking a link? As for the laziness, some of the links are difficult to find, especially for some of the bands with generic names. This one wasn't such an issue because it's a fairly unique name, but I do put effort into finding some of the myspace's.

IcePh0enix
12-01-2009, 04:09 PM
JxD, you have a knack for recommending ridiculously obscure, yet really good bands. Once I get my music storing computer working again, I'm just going to download and listen to albums from bands you make threads about.

Toddler is such an epic song.

JxD
12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks, I really appreciate the flattery. Make sure you go through Kurtrip's posts too, I get a lot of good stuff off of his blog/s.

nashawa
12-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Between you two, I think I've downloaded or bought close to 2000 songs since I've been a member here solely based on your recommendations.

JxD
12-01-2009, 07:05 PM
I don't think there's much I can recommend that a few minutes on last.fm and knowing how to search for mediafire files on google can't do a million times better. 2000 songs is a lot though, that really rules, and I'm glad I could help.

nashawa
12-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Meh... I'm lazy. Someone else does the work for me, and I'm pretty golden with that.

kurtrip
12-02-2009, 05:48 AM
Make sure you go through Kurtrip's posts too
:)

ot: I like the music but the volume is so low, does everyone else has this problem?

+}-136-{+
12-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I disagree that it would have more staying power. The best way to keep a thread alive around here is to talk about a band everyone is familiar with or say something really contentious. I was hoping that by being brief and altogether eliminating a description would perhaps pique the interest of some and encourage them to check out the band. I don't think you can really guarantee a successful thread. I personally really dislike drawn out posts describing a band. What can someone say in a paragraph that I can't just hear in a few seconds after clicking a link? As for the laziness, some of the links are difficult to find, especially for some of the bands with generic names. This one wasn't such an issue because it's a fairly unique name, but I do put effort into finding some of the myspace's.

Can't say I disagree there. A bit depressing, the first bit, since most threads on more obscure bands have the life expectancy of a couple of days, maybe a week if they're lucky.

I personally prefer a short description with the band and I find that keeps me interested for longer than no description, although the method you suggested does work. And I dislike wordy, meandering descriptions too. A genre tag or two, similar bands, and a sentence describing their sound, that works for me.

nashawa
12-02-2009, 03:31 PM
You know what? Fuck it. I've decided to make the completely arbitrary decision to try to keep this thread alive as long as possible. For what reason? I'm bored, and the music's pretty schweet.

That said, I'll probably lose motivation by the time I finish this post.

EDIT: Totally lost motivation...

+}-136-{+
12-03-2009, 07:52 AM
You know what? Fuck it. I've decided to make the completely arbitrary decision to try to keep this thread alive as long as possible. For what reason? I'm bored, and the music's pretty schweet.

That said, I'll probably lose motivation by the time I finish this post.

EDIT: Totally lost motivation...

:haha: This is one of the more interesting bands I've encountered on this forum. The music doesn't really strike me as hardcore. If anything, I think of black metal when I listen to this. Because of the harsh, unsettling atmosphere and raw production values probably. Anyone feel similarly?

JxD
12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
:haha: This is one of the more interesting bands I've encountered on this forum. The music doesn't really strike me as hardcore. If anything, I think of black metal when I listen to this. Because of the harsh, unsettling atmosphere and raw production values probably. Anyone feel similarly?
I definitely know what you mean, the recording is so dirty. I don't listen to black metal really so I can't make a very valid comparison but the raw production on music like this is one of the charms that draws me to it.

nashawa
12-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I definitely disagree with the black metal vibe. It seems like good ol' hXc to me :)

+}-136-{+
12-04-2009, 10:45 AM
I definitely disagree with the black metal vibe. It seems like good ol' hXc to me :)

Seriously? It seems like anything but "good 'ol hardcore" to me. Unless you're being sarcastic that is.

The raw production, harsh and piercing guitar tones, atypical structures, screamed vocals (though I get a "hardcore intensity delivered through black metal-esque screams" vibe from it than straight-up black metal) all remind me of black metal. The guitars don't seem to be playing riffs as much as they are churning out waves of sound and noise, and that very much reminds of black metal. Not most groups of course, but if you look at a band like Leviathan and compare them to One Eyed God Prophecy you'll notice a definite similarity in terms of their raw, opressive sound and emphasis on atmosphere instead of melody. They both possess their own distinctive sense of melody though. Listening to "Toddler" right now. Intense song.

nashawa
12-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Seriously? It seems like anything but "good 'ol hardcore" to me. Unless you're being sarcastic that is.

The raw production, harsh and piercing guitar tones, atypical structures, screamed vocals (though I get a "hardcore intensity delivered through black metal-esque screams" vibe from it than straight-up black metal) all remind me of black metal. The guitars don't seem to be playing riffs as much as they are churning out waves of sound and noise, and that very much reminds of black metal. Not most groups of course, but if you look at a band like Leviathan and compare them to One Eyed God Prophecy you'll notice a definite similarity in terms of their raw, opressive sound and emphasis on atmosphere instead of melody. They both possess their own distinctive sense of melody though. Listening to "Toddler" right now. Intense song.
No, I was being serious.
Maybe I'm just used to listening to core with terrible production values...
Stylistically (considering everything you've pointed out), I guess I can understand your point, but the band doesn't really seem that "black metal" sounding to me. I really didn't get that impression at all :shrug:

technicolour
12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
well as far as sounding like black metal goes ... : /
I mean, black metal does make use of atmosphere a lot, but I think that's more borrowed from post-rock and ambient stuff, the same could be said for this band. So I'd say they both draw on similar influences but in the end create something not that similar.

I mean...

http://www.myspace.com/alghazanthofficial
http://www.myspace.com/drudkhukraine
http://www.myspace.com/absu

I don't think they sound that similar...though I can hear what you guys are talking about, I just don't hear it as strongly..?

Maybe I listen to too much black metal and not enough...this stuff lol

+}-136-{+
12-05-2009, 01:04 AM
I think in essence One Eyed God Prophecy is definitely not black metal, but the qualities I pointed out simply remind me of black metal. Then again, I haven't listened to much black metal in a while and I tend to be drawn more towards the atmospherically inclined bands of the genre. I think they remind me of Leviathan I guess, in that they both sound like dark, raw swirling abysses of noise and malice. Compared with the bands technicolour listed, yeah, they aren't too similar. On a more superficial level, I guess, but those bands elicit very different feelings from the ones One Eyed God Prophecy do.

By the way, those are some sweet bands. I've never bothered to check out Drudkh during all the time that I kept hearing about them. Alghazanth is a completely new discovery for me. Awesome shit. Don't enjoy Absu as much as the other two though.

technicolour
12-05-2009, 02:03 PM
yeah, absu is a lot more thrash influenced. I think One eyed God prophecy is too melodic to remind me personally of black metal, there's atmosphere, but it's not very "dark" or "folky". But again, I can see your point.

Woo 2 pages

STABxYOU
12-07-2009, 08:10 AM

It sounds like emo to me.

Then again what I usually refer to as emo is Orchid and Love Lost But Not Forgotten and Reversal of Man. If I was cool I'd call it emoviolence.

I do see the similarities in feel between black metal and that emo/grind/crust/spazzy frantic gloomy hardcore. This band is great, I've been wanting to listen to them for a year now. I'm not disappointed.

JxD
12-07-2009, 01:44 PM
It sounds like emo to me.
I agree with this.

scaryfried
12-30-2009, 07:25 PM
this band is so good. shame they broke up