Verse/chorus/verse structure or free form?

PDA

View Full Version : Verse/chorus/verse structure or free form?

bagpipemetal
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
I was just wondering what people prefer in metalcore bands, normal song structure (Intro, verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge,chorus outro) or the free ffom that a lot of bands use, I like a little of both but overall prefer structure.

GodofCheesecake
12-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Between the Buried and Me.

bagpipemetal
12-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Huh?

boffen
12-02-2009, 09:41 PM
The "good song-structure" seems to work quite well.

Haymaker17
12-02-2009, 10:00 PM
chugging
breakdown
slow down the breakdown
slow it down even more
more chugging

repeat for a full album and never chug higher than the 3rd fret

to45t
12-02-2009, 11:17 PM
chugging
breakdown
slow down the breakdown
slow it down even more
more chugging

dont forget the required vocals:

gurgle gurgle gurgle
BRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
GURGLE

honestly though Shai Hulud has done some cool stuff using both kinds of writing. some where theres freeform style, but with certain parts repeated like a chorus would be. but theres also shit like misanthropy pure, which has a somewhat more rigid structure.

Veil Of Osiris
12-02-2009, 11:32 PM
I prefer free form. I think using the "verse/chorus/verse" thing is just an easy way out.

And like GodofCheesecake said, Between the Buried and Me.

zezimathehero
12-02-2009, 11:33 PM
whatever works for the band, honestly.

Okeefe Is Legit
12-03-2009, 12:09 AM
free form is more interesting. I think standard song structure is best in pop punk/alternative music

nashawa
12-03-2009, 02:29 AM
free form is more interesting. I think standard song structure is best in pop punk/alternative music
You know, you could say that free form is best suited for jazz as well.

Either will work. Whichever you're better at writing, do that.

Okeefe Is Legit
12-03-2009, 02:37 AM
You know, you could say that free form is best suited for jazz as well.

Either will work. Whichever you're better at writing, do that.

I meant that the only cases I think the cliche song structure is okay are songs that are the "catchy" genres, while free form is for the more "technical" genres.

nashawa
12-03-2009, 02:45 AM
I meant that the only cases I think the cliche song structure is okay are songs that are the "catchy" genres, while free form is for the more "technical" genres.
Cliche meaning this?
Intro
Verse x2
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Bridge
Chorus x however many

Because then I agree.

recklessnick
12-03-2009, 02:58 AM
i dont care what the structure is. god dammit. questions are getting so ridiculous

Okeefe Is Legit
12-03-2009, 04:06 AM
Cliche meaning this?
Intro
Verse x2
Chorus
Verse
Chorus
Bridge
Chorus x however many

Because then I agree.

exactly. My favorite bands basically since middle school have been New Found Glory and Taking Back Sunday and they are the pop punk cliche innovators (okay not really, but you get the idea.)

Valderama
12-03-2009, 09:00 AM
chugging
breakdown
slow down the breakdown
slow it down even more
more chugging

Ah so you've heard my band? Awesome.

I'm bored of standard song structures. This sorta relates back to that "Unique Metalcore Bands" Thread a while back, every other post containing BTBAM or ABR (with the occasional Oh, Sleeper)

So to conclude, free form - defo.

NY_FootBall49
12-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Not true at all progressive bands don't usually follow your traditional song structure. Progressive and technical are to different things if that makes sense. You can be technical and still follow a structure. Protest The Hero tends to follow a set structure there technical. Anyway I prefer a well-written song no matter how it's written. Songs are supposed to build to a climax I think the verse/chorus format makes it easier to build to a climax.

GodofCheesecake
12-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Protest the Hero might repeat a riff or two, but I definitely wouldn't say they have a set song structure. Bloodmeat is the only song I can think of off the top of my head that has a repeating chorus, and even that's not the same each time.

Besides, that didn't really help your point considering PTH are both progressive and technical.

Valderama
12-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Songs are supposed to build to a climax
Not necessarily. Then again, it depends how you interperet a climax.

edit: ^ +1

NY_FootBall49
12-03-2009, 04:45 PM
Protest the Hero might repeat a riff or two, but I definitely wouldn't say they have a set song structure. Bloodmeat is the only song I can think of off the top of my head that has a repeating chorus, and even that's not the same each time.

Besides, that didn't really help your point considering PTH are both progressive and technical.

They don't have a repeating chorus or anything but they always have a couple sing along parts same effect makes the song more catchy.

GodofCheesecake
12-03-2009, 04:53 PM
True, but catchy =/= structured.

geoguitar
12-03-2009, 05:50 PM
PTH does indeed have choruses

Bloodmeat, Sequoia Throne and Palms Read all have repeating chouruses.

But that does't make them any less awesome whatsoever.

I think bands should do whatever feels right for each song, and I think most band do anyway.

+}-136-{+
12-04-2009, 10:59 AM
I tend to prefer more straightforward song structures because they're easier to latch onto and those songs with an obvious chorus, verse, etc. to them are often more memorable for me. Conversely though, albums packed with songs that all follow the generic structure (intro -> verse -> chorus -> verse -> chorus -> bridge -> chorus) get boring.

I don't really even care that much if a band uses atypical structures. However, I believe there must always be some sort of structure. Logical progressions, memorable, and non-meandering.

With most extreme metal bands I listen to the structure is usually lost on me. Never head that problem with other bands strangely.

And although I am generally not a fan of linear structures, I enjoy BTBAM's Colors. I think it's the fact that the sections are pretty distinct from one another and that there are always memorable climaxes to each song. It's kind of exciting actually, knowing that there won't be repeating parts. It makes you anticipate each coming section, whereas with "chorus-verse-chorus" structures that mystery and anticipation is lost. Variations using those structures can spice things up, but often bands get lazy and decide to simply sing the chorus at a slightly higher key.

Funny thing with Converge is that I could always figure out their song structures; none of it ever flew over my head and lost me. I guess that's one of the reasons why I love them so much, they deliver such extreme and intense yet memorable songs.

bagpipemetal
12-04-2009, 11:35 PM
I like it when a band will build on a melodic motif throughout a song, I really don't like the choatic style that august burns red uses.

motoko
12-04-2009, 11:44 PM
freeform structure usually sounds like shit in metal because there's never a link between the riffs, its just riff 1, riff 2 etc. freeform in jazz is different because its improvised, but the solos must match the harmony and the head

i personally like aaba

djims
12-09-2009, 09:05 AM
I think it really depends on the song but there's definitely times when a song has a really catchy bit that I wish it followed more traditional structure and went back to that.

lordofthefood1
12-09-2009, 09:48 PM
Intro Verse Chorus (Verse/)Breakdown Outro

No need for repetition.