PA setup for first gig

PDA

View Full Version : PA setup for first gig

zapparage
12-14-2009, 06:26 AM
We have been confirmed for a few pub gigs so we need to get some gear, so this is what we were thinking. We're on a pretty low budget. The setup will be 2 guitars, bass, drums and one vocals. We already have:

2 x 200 watt foldback wedges
1 x 4 channel 100W powered mixer
1 x 8 channel 1000W powered mixer
2 x SM57s
1 x crappy dynamic that might be good for the kick?

For the front of house, we are looking at a pair of 500W Yamahas, which sounded decent when we tested them. I also need advice on the drum kit, good vocal mic for around the same price as an SM58, and whatever else I've inevitably missed. We will probably just DI the bass. Ideally, we can adjust our foldback on stage and have someone doing the audience mix out the front. Is a full blown mixer really necessary?

evening_crow
12-14-2009, 06:56 AM
Will the guitars have their own amps? Also how big is the venue and about how many people will be attending?

zapparage
12-14-2009, 07:37 AM
Will the guitars have their own amps? Also how big is the venue and about how many people will be attending?

We both have tubes. Just normal size pubs, maybe 50 people.

evening_crow
12-14-2009, 09:28 AM
We both have tubes. Just normal size pubs, maybe 50 people.
I'd recommend setting everything around the drum's volume level then. The speakers you're looking into should be more than enough with the 8 channel mixer with the bass and mics into it. IMO the wedges aren't necessary unless you want to use them as monitors, but even then it's nothing to worry about. Also i recommend mic'ing up the bass drum and the snare with the SM57's if possible just to get a better "umph" during the show. From what i get it seems like you want a vocal mic that's not a Shure? If so look into the Sennheiser E835's which i love, though they're a bit hotter. Also Audio Technica would be good though i'd guess they'd work better on female vocals.

The 100 watt mixer is pretty useless for full band shows but i'd keep it for acoustic sets.

EDIT: try this during practice first though to see how it works out.

Phil Starr
12-14-2009, 01:01 PM
Have a read of this and the next two articles. I'll get back to you later with some specific advice.
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/the_guide_to/the_guide_to_pa_part_one_-_a_first_pa.html

Phil Starr
12-14-2009, 07:48 PM
If you get the yamahas then you can probably get a good sound with what you have. We use some Yamahas and they have a good sound and so far have been bullet proof. If you've read my articles then you know that I'm quite keen on avoiding micing the drums. Without subs your main speakers will struggle with bass and drums and you will need at least three mics for drums ideally five.

The advice to mix to the drums is a great idea as it keeps everything simple. If you can get enough from the bass without putting it through the PA then this will help.

use the wedges as monitors. You don't say if they are powered but you could run them off the 100W amp if they are not. You have to choose between sending a full mix through the monitors or just vocals unless your 8 channel mixer includes pre fade sends/special monitor mixing.

If you want to put them through the PA which gives you the chance of someone mixing from the front of house then mic the guitars and DI the bass as has been suggested. Sm57's are ideal for instrument mics Sm58's are great mics for stage vocals akg D5's are an alternative and we use a Sampson for female vocals which has been good.

You might want to just mic the kick drum rather than the whole kit as this does give the whole band a lot more drive.

You absolutely have to try everything out at rehearsal so you can work out what works best for you and get used to how it all sounds.

Keep the levels on 'stage' as low as possible and you will get a cleaner sound overall. By the way the space for the band in most pubs is usually impossibly small.

Good luck and have a great night.