Singer situation.

PDA

View Full Version : Singer situation.

JY-Rasputin
12-14-2009, 08:20 PM
Ok so here's the deal.

I'm in a melodeath/metalcore band which consists of 2 guitar players, a clean singer and me on bass and harsh vocals.
We're becoming more and more aware of the fact that most of the new work contains very little clean vocals and if so only on chorusses and such.
The vocals of our singer are also kind of a problem, since he's not that good and making almost to no progress. Me and my other bandmates have been discussing the situation but can't figure out what to do.
I write most of the (if not all of the) lyrics and it's just not working. We've considered looking for a singer that can do both (though no-one wants me off harsh vocals) or even get another bass player so I can focus on the singing (the latter is not really an option for me because I love both and am capable of combining those).
I COULD do both clean and harsh but our lead guitarist issn't really impressed by my clean vocals which I can understand cause the lack the melody that defines the balance between harsh and clean.
What should we do? Kick our vocalist and see how we work out the clean lyrics or give him more time?
We're going in recording mode in a couple of days again and if we find out it's not working we'll definatly consider fireing him.

Help us out please.

MR. Goodcents
12-14-2009, 11:42 PM
Sounds like you already know all your options. It's just a matter of deciding if it's time to cut the cord

ehlert99
12-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Do what you need to, but don't use "doesnt write lyrics" as an excuse.. alot of bands have people who don't even have much input.. look at slayer its basically the guitarists songs.

JY-Rasputin
12-16-2009, 01:51 PM
It's not like I use that as an excuse to fire him, that's bullshat. I actually mean that it's not fair towards him that he hasn't a lot of input, but the lyrics he does write are pretty basic and bad.

the humanity
12-16-2009, 02:02 PM
see if someone else in the band sings cleans well?