Gig in a Restaurant??

PDA

View Full Version : Gig in a Restaurant??

gord69961
12-15-2009, 02:45 AM
I have a Gig Coming up and its in a restaurant ive never played in this kinda place befor and its kinda a preppy place so i cant really play really heavy any ideas on getting the night to go over smoothly..i was thinking about like one original song and 2 covers maybe 2 and 2 but if i do a cover i dont kno what to play any suggestions i was thinking hendrix and chilli peppers but i dont kno

Northernmight
12-15-2009, 02:52 AM
If it's a resturant, you should play things that people would like to hear while they eat. Background music. Not something that takes their full attention.

Or of course, you could just care shit about what certain people just like, and blast out some heavy stuff, and have some fun.. i'd do that.. :P

pepsi1187
12-15-2009, 02:54 AM
it depends on the age group..

MR. Goodcents
12-15-2009, 03:49 AM
Depends on how nice the restaurant is and what kind of atmosphere they are going for? Like Northernmight said people are there to eat, not listen to you. The only way you will get some attention from the average restaurant goer is if you play something they recognize. So play some well know covers, and maybe try to keep it a bit mellow. Maybe ask the owner for some idea's, if he's had bands there before he probably knows what people like and don't like.

osXtiger
12-15-2009, 08:43 AM
Something ambient and non intrusive. Acoustic songs for instance can be ambient to a degree.

Myshadow46_2
12-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Just get some smooth jazz going on. If you ain't quite up to jazz then just something as chilled out as possible, I'd go for something instrumental. Like most have said, it's a resturant, blend into the background.

Adisturbedone
12-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Ask the manager if he cares what kind you play, and if he says no, blast it!

SomeoneYouKnew
12-15-2009, 09:49 AM
I have a Gig Coming up and its in a restaurant ive never played in this kinda place befor and its kinda a preppy place so i cant really play really heavy any ideas on getting the night to go over smoothly..i was thinking about like one original song and 2 covers maybe 2 and 2 but if i do a cover i dont kno what to play any suggestions i was thinking hendrix and chilli peppers but i dont knoThe Wind Cries Mary, yes. Fire, Purple Haze, Foxy Lady, not-so-much.

Agree with asking the manager for some suggestions.
Probably something more like light pop or jazz.

Rikki DeMartini
12-15-2009, 10:05 AM
How did you even get the gig?

I find it hard to believe a restaurant asked you to play without giving you any suggestions as to what you should play. You haven't even said if you have a band or if it's just a solo thing.

Crizzle
12-15-2009, 01:27 PM
under the Bridge
Wonderwall

Things like that :)

Blind In 1 Ear
12-15-2009, 01:54 PM
How did you even get the gig?

I find it hard to believe a restaurant asked you to play without giving you any suggestions as to what you should play. You haven't even said if you have a band or if it's just a solo thing.
thats what im thinking. did you have a demo? if so, they probably hired you based on what they heard. if thats the case, then play the kind of stuff they heard.

Alden Ashford
12-16-2009, 01:55 AM
Mellow/uplifting is a good bet. Try some soft indie rock, like Death Cab for Cutie or something. "The New Year" is pretty easy to sing/play, and easy on the ears.

gord69961
12-16-2009, 01:56 AM
no we played a concert our first show all covers alice in chains and deftones and ppl that saw us recommended us to them told them that we would be a good atrraction to bring in more bissness what i was thinking would be set up two set lists play what i like to play and rock the F*** out and if i dont get a good response then just change to the other set

gord69961
12-16-2009, 01:58 AM
o sorry its a band were an alternative metal band inbetween tool and alice in chains i guess u could say alil more jazzy we play every thing from all that remains to death to red hot chilli peppers we have one guitarist a bassist a drummer and a singer