rehersal space

PDA

View Full Version : rehersal space

gt4068
12-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Alright, so I have a band, 2 guitars, bass, drums singer, who all gel. We've been practicing for a few months at my apartment, but with the neighbor and the roommates complaining to the landlord and police, I figure our present situation is untenable. We're all transplants in our early 20's(read lacking disposable income), so no one has a house or a garage that we can use. Does anyone have some advice on how to secure a rehearsal space for cheap to free? Thanks in advance.

pepsi1187
12-15-2009, 06:08 AM
go to a studio or something.. Ive seen groups rent out studios just to practice

Disturbed_EMG
12-15-2009, 06:19 AM
People can sometimes rent out storage spaces; ie. those garage things where you keep all your stuff while you move. I'd say if there're any available, that's a worth asking the owner about.

Linkerman
12-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Fortunately for my band, our city has a "House of Youth", with a bar/restaurant, a few hotel rooms, and, most important, a sound studio... Which they let all bands use for free!

Isn't there in your town something like that? A space owned by the city that anyone can use?

gt4068
12-15-2009, 07:05 AM
I thought about asking the city. It seems like there are tons of public buildings that sit un-used, especially at night, but i'm not sure who/what department, to talk to about something like that. Any suggestions?

SomeoneYouKnew
12-15-2009, 08:32 AM
People can sometimes rent out storage spaces; ie. those garage things where you keep all your stuff while you move. I'd say if there're any available, that's a worth asking the owner about.A lot of bands use those. The complexes tend to be away from housing areas, so the neighbors don't have to put up with the noise.

Weather can be a problem, though. most of those places aren't heated or insulated. so if you live in Minnesota and it's winter, they won't be of much use.

osXtiger
12-15-2009, 08:39 AM
A lot of bands use those. The complexes tend to be away from housing areas, so the neighbors don't have to put up with the noise.

Weather can be a problem, though. most of those places aren't heated or insulated. so if you live in Minnesota and it's winter, they won't be of much use.

Bar fires would help with the cold though.

I mean, there wouldn't be much point in getting one if there isn't any power for the amps, and if there is power, then a splitter will allow them to use a bar fire.

Myshadow46_2
12-15-2009, 09:04 AM
Probably a stupid question, but, How about the other members houses? Also you could ask at any schools\colleges in the area.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-15-2009, 09:43 AM
Bar fires would help with the cold though.

I mean, there wouldn't be much point in getting one if there isn't any power for the amps, and if there is power, then a splitter will allow them to use a bar fire.Most of those places at least have lights, so ya just tap into that for power.

What's a "bar fire"? Is that like a radiant heater?